MHG
Topic Author

Request Advice For Trip With Firefly (Malaysia)

Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:38 am

Hi!

I´m travelling to Malaysia in may. Since i arrive in BKK from DUS (with LTU) and intend to continue to Malaysia from there i am planning to fly one-way with FIREFLY from either Phuket or Koh Samui to Penang (as my first destination in Malaysia) on may 8 or may 9.

The problem is that Firefly flights commence before they start offering the online booking facility (quite a bit weird to me...).
So, flights may be booked only locally at the airport or at local appointed travel agents...
These flights are NOT bookable through AMADEUS/SABRE/etc. ! ! !

Can anyone tell me how to book - not sure if i get a "reasonable" fare at short notice if i book after arrival in Thailand (just 1-2 days before departure)
Any other solution except calling the call center ??? (unfortunately i have so far only bad experiences with call centers...)
Also i´d like to know how much is a one-way incl. tax on the 2 resp. routes!

Thanks ahead for everybody´s help !
Juergen
I miss the sound of rolls royce darts and speys

flybeq400

RE: Request Advice For Trip With Firefly (Malaysia)

Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:28 am

As they are a very new carrier I doubt anyone will have first hand experiences. I would recommend calling the call-center (24hr). I guess if they are run by MH the call center will be very helpful and efficient.

I may well be flying them from USM to Penang in April, if I do I will post trip deatails.

Best rgds,
Alistair

MHG
Topic Author

RE: Request Advice For Trip With Firefly (Malaysia)

Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:26 pm

Well, i just "jumped over my own shadow" ...
So, i decided to try the call center last night.
And ...? I was impressed ! ! !
I had a very patient (something very uncommon in my experience with callcenters) and friendly agent on the phone ! It took me about 20 mins to make the reservation for the flight (HKT-PEN on may 8) becausei had a few times difficulties to understand him properly when spelling exact letters (since i had to write down the booking code etc. on a piece of paper).
Next to this we arranged that i get a confirmation e-mail a few hours later as he couldn´t do that immediately... Well, so far i haven´t received it...

But here´s an interesting experience !
After the booking this time i think i know for sure that MASTERCARD has a problem in Asia ! Because it´s the second time that it failed ! The first time it happened when i tried to book Cebu Pacific online. Always at the last stage it was rejected (using the card from my bank) After that incident i ordered additionally a VISA card from my bank that was fine already at the first attempt !
Just 2 weeks ago i returned the Mastercard from "my" bank to get one from Air Berlin (for collecting miles...) I received the Air Berlin Mastercard just last week and tried to use it for the Firefly booking. AND Irtysh-Avia (Kazakhstan)">IT FAILED ! ! ! Exactly the same as with Cebu Pacific happened.
Since i have a VISA card as back up now i used it then. AND??? N O P R O B L E M ! ! !
That´s something to take me into orbit ! ! !

Anyone out there having similar difficulties/experiences ?
I miss the sound of rolls royce darts and speys