LAXdude1023
Topic Author

CO And The Regional Jet

Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:48 am

I just completed a trip to YYZ for work. I had the pleasure of flying CO for the first time in years. I must say I was highly impressed!!! The best service ive experianced in North America!!! I flew LAX-IAH-YYZ both ways. On the way there I had a 737-500 from IAH-YYZ and it was packed. On the way back however we flew a EMB-145 which was also packed from YYZ-IAH. This did puzzle me a bit because it seemed like they could have filled a 737-500 for that flight. When I got back to LA, I looked through CO's timetable and found that a good portion of their flying is done on RJ. Even to markets that are far away and some markets that are larger. I also noticed that they only have EMB135/145 and CRJ-200's flying the regional routes. I guess maybe they might fly some larger regional jets if they had them to some of these markets. I guess what im wondering is if CO is planning to upgrade some of the markets they currently only fly RJ's to?
It is what it is...

ikramerica

RE: CO And The Regional Jet

Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:54 am

I'm glad you enjoyed your flight, and now you are interested in CO. But just because you just became interested in CO doesn't mean none of these topics were discussed before. It's just you never were interested enough to read the threads, most likely. Understandable.

I suggest you do a search of the past topics. There are plenty of discussions about the RJ flying at CO, upgrading routes to the 737, and all of that. You'll learn a lot, a lot more than people rehashing it again.

Happy flying!
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

calpsafltskeds

Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:05 am

CO's pilot contract does not allow for non-mainline pilots to fly RJ's over 50 seats. The contract does not apply ot turbo props and CO will be adding the Q400 for EWR,CLE and IAH flying.

It would be great to upgrade many RJ flights to 735 aircraft, but CO needs the aircraft on current routes. CO will start taking more 738 plus the new 739ER (and 787) deliveries in 2008. Some of these should release a few 752 aircraft for more transatlantic flying, but many should be available for new and upgraded domestic flying.

I can't wait.
sites.google.com/site/unitedfleetsite/

LAXdude1023
Topic Author

Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:25 am

Quoting CALPSAFltSkeds (Reply 2):
CO's pilot contract does not allow for non-mainline pilots to fly RJ's over 50 seats.

Wow, I didnt know that. It would at least explain why there are no RJ's over 50-seaters. Although I think that the EMB-145 is worlds more comfortable than the CRJ-200.

Quoting CALPSAFltSkeds (Reply 2):
Some of these should release a few 752 aircraft for more transatlantic flying, but many should be available for new and upgraded domestic flying.

That will be good. Its not that the EMB 145 isnt a good plane, its just that some of the routes that CO uses it on could probably be better with the 735.

Thanks, that answered my question!!
It is what it is...

Cubsrule

Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:04 am

Quoting LAXdude1023 (Reply 3):
That will be good. Its not that the EMB 145 isnt a good plane, its just that some of the routes that CO uses it on could probably be better with the 735.

The problem is that a lot of these routes would probably be best with something like a 170, but CO has to choose between the 145 and the 735. Economics of the particular routes may well be such that a sold out ERJ makes them more money than a 75% sold 735.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more