lhpdx

Any New Wave Of Announcements At PDX In 2007?

Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:23 pm

Hey guys has anyone heard of any new added flight or new service being added at PDX beside Alaska BOS and MCO; Delta's JFK; US Airways CLT and additional PHL, and Southwest addon to SMF? Will we see any more added flights to the east and on curent or new west coast routes?....Sure would be nice if Expressjet would start service here also........

jbmitt

RE: Any New Wave Of Announcements At PDX In 2007?

Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:28 pm

PDX to LAX on DL connection, announced last week.

lhpdx

Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:43 pm

Ahhhh...I forgot about that one....Using that crj200 equiptment...........

flashmeister

Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:39 pm

Besides?? It's hardly April. I think that PDX has had a pretty stellar year thus far!  Smile

I also think that us PDX'ers should get patient. When was the last time that four new transcon routes (five new flights total counting existing routes) were announced at PDX within one calendar quarter? It's an anomaly in PDX history, and I doubt that the second quarter of 2007 will see growth in the same manner.

Not that I'm complaining... now if someone would come up with another IAD nonstop, I'd be thrilled!

ATCGOD

Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:40 pm

Well, it's not passenger service but Boeing recently announced they are opening a paint shop for their soon to be delivered heavies at PDX. Awesome news for spotters in my opinion.

flashmeister

Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:27 am

Quoting ATCGOD (Reply 4):
Awesome news for spotters in my opinion.

True, ATCGOD... that will be some pretty good spotting to be had! I had forgotten about the Boeing deal.

lhpdx

Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:45 am

I forgot about that too..Will be nice to see some rare bird flying into PDX starting in May, even though they are not revenue service flights......

LHboyatDTW

Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:55 am

I never heard of that paint shop, but I would love to see it. I should make my times at PDX more interesting.

I wonder if their international flights are doing well. My uncle flew the LH flight last spring and said it was rather full.

1) Any updates on a PDX-AMS rumor?

2) Any plans for NW making DTW-PDX year round? I personally would love to see that and be at DTW no later than 4 am just to catch a 6:40 flight to MSP and then sit on my ass for 3.5 hours before my flight to PDX  banghead 
The air in the clouds is very pure and fine, bracing and delicious because it's the same the angels breathe.

N174UA

Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:51 am

Quoting LHPDX (Reply 6):
I forgot about that too..Will be nice to see some rare bird flying into PDX starting in May, even though they are not revenue service flights......

Then BlueWave707 can start a few dozen "PDX Rarebirds" threads...  Wink

Quoting LHboyatDTW (Reply 7):
1) Any updates on a PDX-AMS rumor?

That will probably be the next big announcement. Once Open Skies is officially aprpoved by Congress, I would think shortly thereafter an announcement will be made, if it's going to happen at all. Probably an A330 flown by either NW or KLM. I don't know what NW's widebody aircraft situation is like, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them try to start a flight to LHR or LGW at some point in the next few years.

eva777sea

Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:44 pm

Quoting N174UA (Reply 8):
That will probably be the next big announcement. Once Open Skies is officially aprpoved by Congress, I would think shortly thereafter an announcement will be made, if it's going to happen at all. Probably an A330 flown by either NW or KLM. I don't know what NW's widebody aircraft situation is like, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them try to start a flight to LHR or LGW at some point in the next few years.

Wasn't there already an open skies between the US and the Netherlands?

N174UA

Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:49 am

Quoting EVA777SEA (Reply 9):
Wasn't there already an open skies between the US and the Netherlands?

I think you might be right about that. I'm sure someone in either MSP or AMS that works for NW or KL is monitoring the PDX-Europe market to see when the best time to launch service, if it happens.

But, with Open Skies basically here, it might be a PDX-LHR/LGW flight instead....I think that would be more successful than other flight to the continent.

Just my $.02.

eva777sea

Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:02 am

Quoting N174UA (Reply 10):
But, with Open Skies basically here, it might be a PDX-LHR/LGW flight instead....I think that would be more successful than other flight to the continent.

I would think that BA would be the one to start that route, not NW

HPRamper

Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:59 pm

Quoting N174UA (Reply 10):

In terms of direct O&D LHR would probably be the best bet, but NW would probably rather connect PDX to the AMS hub for the connections.

Bluewave 707

Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:08 pm

Then BlueWave707 can start a few dozen "PDX Rarebirds" threads...

That's funny! I will be in Portland twice this year for business. Will definitely make time to do some spotting @ PDX, though I probably won't have a whole lot of time. The parking structure offer some pretty great photo ops.

Is the Boeing paint shop going to be located near the cargo ramp? Will there be good places nearby to get photos?

Maybe one of the PDXers could start a PDX RareBirds thread? There are several PDXers that post stuff quite often.
"The best use of your life will be to so live your life, that the use of your life will outlive your life" -- D Severn

cschleic

Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:26 am

Mexicana just announced non-stop PDX - MEX beginning June 1. The Port of Portland website said daily, but then listed a four-day-week schedule. Leave PDX 8:00am, arrive back PDX 11:59pm.

Quoting Bluewave 707 (Reply 13):
Is the Boeing paint shop going to be located near the cargo ramp? Will there be good places nearby to get photos?

Most likely in those huge, unused hangars, next to the cargo area? Besides, most widebodies use the south runway anyway because it's longer (although planes there just for paint wouldn't be fully loaded), and it's closer to the cargo area. For views, the top of the parking garage is great for operations in either direction, but it's looking south for photos. The sun is north of that runway only during the summer. For photos, landing shots can be had from a dirt lot at the east end of 28L (just off 82nd Ave.), or the west end of 10R in a little turn-out area just south of the boat dealership on Marine Dr. From up on Marine Dr. you can see planes taxiing out for takeoff from 10R.

Back when LH started FRA - PDX, and got some hefty incentives for it, the airport's stated goal was one - and only one - flight from each region - Europe, Asia, Latin America, with lack of competition an added incentive. They secured that with LH, NW and MX. Maybe their position has changed, plus that was several years ago and they were actively courting airlines. If NW or KL or whoever wanted to start up service, they probably wouldn't object.

lhpdx

Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:53 am

Wow...Just got back from Panama city, Panama and just noticed the new announcement..Good Job PDX and Mexicana! All we need is one more flight to Europe ,China, a few more to Canada, and Oregon will be well covered.........The future additional flights will all be filled domestically.....I'm pretty sure this should all be reached within the next 5-10 years............I can't wait to see what 2008 will bring to PDX ............

N174UA

Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:55 am

Quoting HPRamper (Reply 12):
In terms of direct O&D LHR would probably be the best bet, but NW would probably rather connect PDX to the AMS hub for the connections.

That's why I think NW will act first in expanding their footprint in PDX.

Quoting Cschleic (Reply 14):
Back when LH started FRA - PDX, and got some hefty incentives for it, the airport's stated goal was one - and only one - flight from each region - Europe, Asia, Latin America, with lack of competition an added incentive. They secured that with LH, NW and MX. Maybe their position has changed, plus that was several years ago and they were actively courting airlines. If NW or KL or whoever wanted to start up service, they probably wouldn't object.

The Port of Portland loves money, and loves raising landing fees even more. Over time, they will look to expand their portfolio if you will of the variety of int'l. airlines serving their airport.

If the existing airlines, LH/MX/NW are threatened enough with competition, they will likely a.) reduce the price slightly or b.) upgrade the aircraft if possible or c.) increase daily frequency.

LH has taken choice "c"....they have increased frequency through the winter, probably in response to what was probably a credible rumour of NW starting new service. NW hasn't done anything in response since then, so LH's move was a smart one. My bet is that LH will upgrade to an A346 and make the flight daily year round, and that will further strengthen their position.

MX has also chosen "c"...as evidenced by the new PDX-MEX nonstop. The last thing they want is to see AS introduce service. They'll continue to expand their position in PDX if it looks like AS may start up.

cschleic

Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:55 am

Quoting N174UA (Reply 16):
The Port of Portland loves money, and loves raising landing fees even more. Over time, they will look to expand their portfolio if you will of the variety of int'l. airlines serving their airport.

Too true...hence it contributed to the demise of Delta's mini-hub way back when.

Quoting N174UA (Reply 16):
LH has taken choice "c"....they have increased frequency through the winter, probably in response to what was probably a credible rumour of NW starting new service. NW hasn't done anything in response since then, so LH's move was a smart one. My bet is that LH will upgrade to an A346 and make the flight daily year round, and that will further strengthen their position.

MX has also chosen "c"...as evidenced by the new PDX-MEX nonstop. The last thing they want is to see AS introduce service. They'll continue to expand their position in PDX if it looks like AS may start up.

Good points. I saw the LH station manager speak at a breakfast a couple of years ago. He commented that they were trying to get a larger plane then. Like you said, so far they've gone with increased frequency. I would think some of it had to do with strong loads, too. And wouldn't freight be strong since Cargolux and some others cut back cargo flights?

They make no bones that their flight currently is more expensive than other options to Europe...it's just more convenient. And with AS having non-stop Cabo and Puerto Vallarta flights now, MX has more competition.

eva777sea

Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:30 am

Quoting Cschleic (Reply 17):
with strong loads, too. And wouldn't freight be strong since Cargolux and some others cut back cargo flights?

All that proves is that the cargo market for PDX-Europe is not strong...

HPRamper

Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:13 am

Quoting LHPDX (Reply 15):
All we need is one more flight to Europe ,China, a few more to Canada, and Oregon will be well covered.........

I'd like to see QX to Victoria, personally.

PDXBJV

Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:33 am

I personally think, now dont get me wrong, I would welcome any and all international flights to PDX, but I would think that a BA PDX-LHR/LGW would do much better than an KL PDX-AMS. What would the market be I wonder for people just going to AMS? I mean, if people want to go to Europe, they have the option of making a stop in Frankfurt. How many people just travel to Frankfurt from Portland? I would think that the majority of people connect to other destinations in Europe. However, with a LHR/LGW flight, I think there would be more O&D passengers than if there were to be on an AMS flight. just my 2 cents.
TK787 PDX-BJV direct????

LHboyatDTW

Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:45 am

Quoting PDXBJV (Reply 20):

Then how come there are 4-5 daily flights between AMS and DTW? The only thing making that happen is feed via both areas. I'm hard pressed to believe people in Amsterdam would visit Detroit for a week. In PDX, the feed could be carried onto QX although SEA serves that purpose with NW and soon AF.
The air in the clouds is very pure and fine, bracing and delicious because it's the same the angels breathe.

PDXBJV

Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:50 am

Oops, sorry, I forgot to mention about the SEA flight, is that it didn't make sense to me to have another flight when one could just go up to Seattle, or if they didn't want to bother, they could take LH to FRA and continue on from there.
TK787 PDX-BJV direct????

vulindlela744

Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:07 am

Has anyone heard any news about Airtran possibly starting service from ATL? I think they could do really good on this route as only Delta flies it.

eva777sea

Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:32 am

Quoting LHboyatDTW (Reply 21):
Then how come there are 4-5 daily flights between AMS and DTW? The only thing making that happen is feed via both areas. I'm hard pressed to believe people in Amsterdam would visit Detroit for a week. In PDX, the feed could be carried onto QX although SEA serves that purpose with NW and soon AF.

Hmmm, maybe there are 4-5 daily flights due to the feed from NW? Not to mention it is also hub to hub...  sarcastic 

KELPkid

Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:40 am

Wonder what ever became of the official announcement that 9K (Cape Air) was going to start Cessna 402 service to AST and ONP (Newport) later this year? Did that one just kind of fizzle out and die, or have they indeed started making preparations?

KGW ran the story about this time last year...and I haven't heard anything since.
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

HPRamper

Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:52 am

Quoting KELPkid (Reply 25):
Wonder what ever became of the official announcement that 9K (Cape Air) was going to start Cessna 402 service to AST and ONP (Newport) later this year?

I was actually wondering the same thing. About a month ago I ran a search for it and found nothing.

flysherwood

Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:57 am

Quoting Cschleic (Reply 14):
Most likely in those huge, unused hangars, next to the cargo area? Besides, most widebodies use the south runway anyway because it's longer (although planes there just for paint wouldn't be fully loaded), and it's closer to the cargo area.

They are taking the huge hangars that were built by Pacific Aircraft Maintenance but never used because the company went belly up before handling even one customer.

LHboyatDTW

Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:09 am

Quoting EVA777SEA (Reply 24):

way to re-write exactly what I said  Yeah sure

Longhornmaniac

Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:46 am

This may be a naive question, with just a hint of jealousy, but what exactly is in Portland that generates the market for these transoceanic flights? I remember back in the day, DL had an MD-11 to somewhere in Asia (I think NRT), and NW had at least one transPacific flight (I think). I've heard Portland is a great city, and I'd love to visit someday, but what supports these sorts of flights?

Thanks for the help!

Cheers,
Cameron

P.S. Here's what I found from my DL timetable dated Sept. 1, 2000:

3 daily departures to ATL- 2 763s and an MD-11
3 daily departures to CVG- 757, 72S, MD11
3 daily departures to DFW- 2 72S, and a 757
2 daily departures to LAS- 2 757s
1 daily departure to LAX- 733
1 daily departure to NGO- MD11
1 daily departure to JFK- 763
5 daily departures to SLC- 2 763s, 757, 72S, 733
1 daily departure to SFO- CRJ
2 daily departures to SEA- 757, 72S
1 daily departure to NRT- MD11
1 daily departure to YVR- CRJ

That is a boatload of flights, 24 if I can count, with 9 widebodies
Cheers,
Cameron

VC10DC10

Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:17 am

Quoting Cschleic (Reply 17):

Good points. I saw the LH station manager speak at a breakfast a couple of years ago. He commented that they were trying to get a larger plane then.

Stupid question: what does Lufthansa use right now for the FRA-PDX junket?

Quoting Longhornmaniac (Reply 29):

Not to get all "old-timer" on you, but there was a time when United had quite an operation at PDX... I remember a thread here about that several years ago. They ran a DC-10 from PDX to NRT which on some days continued to HKG, I believe. Also, of course, wasn't there Pan Am at one time?

LHboyatDTW

Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:58 am

LH normally uses the A343 on the FRA-PDX-FRA route although I believe there has been a 744 on the route as a substitute iirc (can anyone verify?)

cschleic

Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:00 pm

Quoting Longhornmaniac (Reply 29):
This may be a naive question, with just a hint of jealousy, but what exactly is in Portland that generates the market for these transoceanic flights? I remember back in the day, DL had an MD-11 to somewhere in Asia (I think NRT), and NW had at least one transPacific flight (I think). I've heard Portland is a great city, and I'd love to visit someday, but what supports these sorts of flights?

Back when Delta had all the flights, it was kind of a mini-hub so there was a lot of connecting traffic, or one-stop to somewhere else. For example, for a time they ran an MD-11 PDX-LAX after it arrived from Asia. But not all the Asia flights had great traffic (plus the port raised fees and there were immigration issues). Northwest also set some flight times (and moved gates from one concourse to the other so all of their's operate from near the "international" gates since their NRT flight began before the connection concourse opened) to provide for connections.

There's also a certain amount of O&D traffic with large Asian populations in the Portland/Vancouver (WA) area, the large tech industry (Intel is Oregon's largest private employer, plus there's Nike and Asian companies), a number of German owned companies (Adidas, Freightliner), plus Oregon is a popular tourist destination for Germans and Japanese, and it's much more convenient going to Asia or Europe on only one connection in FRA or NRT. When LH started flights, a number of businesses pledged a certain amount of tickets for the first year or so. NW immediately started with daily flights, and LH increased flights through the recent slower winter season. I've flown LH four times and the planes are always packed.

eva777sea

Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:54 pm

Quoting Cschleic (Reply 32):
There's also a certain amount of O&D traffic with large Asian populations in the Portland/Vancouver (WA) area, the large tech industry (Intel is Oregon's largest private employer, plus there's Nike and Asian companies), a number of German owned companies (Adidas, Freightliner), plus Oregon is a popular tourist destination for Germans and Japanese

Well the asian population in the Portland MSA is 110,853. I doubt that is really a main driving factor. The tech industry definetly helps though. I am curious as to what the prominent Japanese companies in the area are that you speak of.

N174UA

Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:57 pm

Quoting VC10DC10 (Reply 30):
Not to get all "old-timer" on you, but there was a time when United had quite an operation at PDX... I remember a thread here about that several years ago. They ran a DC-10 from PDX to NRT which on some days continued to HKG, I believe. Also, of course, wasn't there Pan Am at one time?

Royal Pacific Service, started in 1983. From PDX, it was a twice weekly 747-200, and ran through 1986. It originated/terminated in ORD.

The DC-10 flight you're referring to was actually from SEA. It was a DC-10-30 to be specfic, and a 747SP was also used on it, too.

Back then, SEA was going to be the premier gateway to Asia for UA. Instead, it was all sent to SFO.

flysherwood

Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:52 am

Quoting EVA777SEA (Reply 33):
Well the asian population in the Portland MSA is 110,853. I doubt that is really a main driving factor. The tech industry definetly helps though. I am curious as to what the prominent Japanese companies in the area are that you speak of.

Fujitsu, Nissho Iwai, NEC, Sumitomo, Nakajima and Marubeni are some that I know that either have operations or offices in Portland or surrounding area. I know there is more but just can't think of the names right now.

ATCGOD

Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:00 am

Quoting LHboyatDTW (Reply 31):
I believe there has been a 744 on the route as a substitute iirc (can anyone verify?)

Yes, I saw the LH B744 fly over my parent's house there last August when I was back home.

eva777sea

Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:27 am

Quoting Flysherwood (Reply 35):
Fujitsu, Nissho Iwai, NEC, Sumitomo, Nakajima and Marubeni are some that I know that either have operations or offices in Portland or surrounding area. I know there is more but just can't think of the names right now.

That may be so, but are those city offices or regional offices (Pacific Northwest).

flysherwood

Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:39 am

Quoting EVA777SEA (Reply 37):
That may be so, but are those city offices or regional offices (Pacific Northwest).

Fujitsu and NEC have big plants here. Also Yamasa has a plant in Salem. As far as cargo is concerned. I also know that Oregon provides a lot of fresh Sea Urchin to Japan which is flown in the belly of the A332 of NWA. Nissho Iwai is the main trading group working with NIKE, which is headquartered in Beaverton. So there is quite a bit of business here. I fly on that flight about 4 times a year and it is usually quite full, especially in World Business Class.

lhpdx

Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:33 am

Great news..Were gaining another flight on Horizon to Coosbay/North bend Oregon this summer...Ofcourse almost every city Horizon flies from Seattle is getting additional flights....Even Horizon is shafting us at PDX!............

jetboy319

Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:04 am

Flysherwood - The one thing I have noticed quite regularly on the a.net message board is that every PDX success is met with a lot of skepticism by certain SEA folks who make it a point to put a negative spin on anything they can, dispute any reasoning for us having the flights, and generally downplay the success here in Portland. It is amusing and also frustrating at times. Thank you for providing info on what local companies support our international flights. While they may not be the Microsoft's or Boeing's of the world, they are still important economic drivers in this area and because of the Asian air link they continue to thrive.

Cheers!  Smile

eva777sea

Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:59 am

Quoting Flysherwood (Reply 38):
Fujitsu and NEC have big plants here. Also Yamasa has a plant in Salem. As far as cargo is concerned. I also know that Oregon provides a lot of fresh Sea Urchin to Japan which is flown in the belly of the A332 of NWA. Nissho Iwai is the main trading group working with NIKE, which is headquartered in Beaverton. So there is quite a bit of business here. I fly on that flight about 4 times a year and it is usually quite full, especially in World Business Class.

Thats awesome, I never knew that

Quoting Jetboy319 (Reply 40):
PDX success is met with a lot of skepticism by certain SEA folks who make it a point to put a negative spin on anything they can, dispute any reasoning for us having the flights

Bashing it no, meeting it with skepticisim, no. All I wanted to know is where it came from, I never said it wasn't there.

[Edited 2007-04-20 03:06:16]

lhpdx

Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:37 am

Funny..When Seattle finally landed Air France flight to Paris recently, I was very excited for the city and even the region as a whole because we all benefit from this new service..However I must agree, anything that PDX recieves is always greeted with great skepticism from Seattle folks and alot of A-netters....I have never quite understood this great dislike for PDX and Portland....

N174UA

Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:32 pm

Quoting LHPDX (Reply 42):
anything that PDX recieves is always greeted with great skepticism from Seattle folks and alot of A-netters....I have never quite understood this great dislike for PDX and Portland....

Ahhhh....that good 'ol I-5 rivalry  Wink Nothing ever changes. That's all it is.

eva777sea

Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:50 pm

Quoting LHPDX (Reply 42):
Funny..When Seattle finally landed Air France flight to Paris recently, I was very excited for the city and even the region as a whole because we all benefit from this new service..However I must agree, anything that PDX recieves is always greeted with great skepticism from Seattle folks and alot of A-netters....I have never quite understood this great dislike for PDX and Portland....

I think it has to do more with a lack of knowledge rather than a "hate" for PDX.

Longhornmaniac

Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:11 pm

Quoting EVA777SEA (Reply 44):
think it has to do more with a lack of knowledge rather than a "hate" for PDX.

Hehe, and jealousy as well. I feel fairly certain that if PDX can support traffic to Japan, than AUS must be getting there. We're like the Silicon Valley of the South. There is a reason AA operates the nerd birds, after all!

That's really interesting to know about Portland, both as an airport, and as a city. I've heard Portland is one of the greatest cities in the country, and certainly in the Pacific Northwest. When I finally get to go up to the P-NW, I'll definately stop up there.

Cheers from a jealous Austinite,
Cameron
Cheers,
Cameron

cschleic

Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:24 pm

It's an A-340-300. NW uses an A-330-200 to NRT.

Quoting EVA777SEA (Reply 33):
I am curious as to what the prominent Japanese companies in the area are that you speak of.

Panasonic and Epson have some production here, plus a number of smaller companies....Microchip Technology, SEH America, Sharp Micro.... Marubeni owns companies that do a huge amount of grain and other agricultural trading. Washington state is one of the largest grain producers, but it travels through Portland on the Columbia River. There also are large auto import operations along the river, and Columbia Sportswear imports a lot of apparel from Asia.

flysherwood

Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:40 am

Quoting Longhornmaniac (Reply 45):
That's really interesting to know about Portland, both as an airport, and as a city. I've heard Portland is one of the greatest cities in the country, and certainly in the Pacific Northwest. When I finally get to go up to the P-NW, I'll definately stop up there.

Cheers from a jealous Austinite

We'd love to have you visit. Portland is a great city and a great place to live. You just have to learn to live with our famous liquid sunshine!  Wink

In the summer however, I can't think of many places that are more beautiful. That was one other thing that I forgot to mention above. In the summer, we are starting to get a lot of tourists from Japan and Germany. I think it is great to have them.

I have heard some pretty good things about Austin though. Not sure when, but I plan to visit soon.

Cheers,
Flysherwood

flysherwood

Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:47 am

Quoting Jetboy319 (Reply 40):
Flysherwood - The one thing I have noticed quite regularly on the a.net message board is that every PDX success is met with a lot of skepticism by certain SEA folks who make it a point to put a negative spin on anything they can, dispute any reasoning for us having the flights, and generally downplay the success here in Portland. It is amusing and also frustrating at times. Thank you for providing info on what local companies support our international flights. While they may not be the Microsoft's or Boeing's of the world, they are still important economic drivers in this area and because of the Asian air link they continue to thrive.

All I can say is that I am so glad to have the PDX-NRT-PDX flight! I cannot tell you how much I hated having to fly to SEA-TAC to catch the NWA SEA-NRT flight. That flight would leave at 2 p.m. yet NWA would make you take the 10 a.m. Horizon shuttle. Sitting at SEA for 3 hours was not my idea of a great way to spend the day. There is nothing to do at that South Terminal. I will say however, that when going to MAD through AMS, going through SEA is a lot better than MSP or DTW. If it weren't for my World Perks status, I would try the LH flight to get to MAD through FRA.

flysherwood

Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:10 am

Does anyone think that NWA will start a flight from PDX to one of their newer focus cities such IND or Memphis? I am curious because they could feed more people to the PDX-HNL or PDX-NRT flights. Not that PDX-HNL needs all that much help. I have also heard that PDX-AMS is a very definite possibility in the very near future from an NWA executive.