ryanb741

How Can I Find Out The Number Of Empty Seats?

Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:13 pm

Is there a website where I can find out the number of empty seats on a flight? I am particularly trying to find out empty seats in Y and J class on TG911 departing LHR this weds
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

lxlgu

RE: How Can I Find Out The Number Of Empty Seats?

Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:40 pm

Check your instant message!

Cheers!
Tony

Coal

Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:11 pm

You know the whole idea of a forum is to share with others  Yeah sure

Cheers,
Coal  swirl 
Nxt Flts: MI RGN-SIN | SQ SIN-RGN-SIN | CX SIN-HKG-PVG | SQ PVG-SIN

IC408

Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:17 pm

www.seatcounter.com is pretty handy but don't know if its always realtime/updated. But a fairly useful tool to get a basic idea on loads.
Opinions expressed within my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of United Airlines, Inc.

lxlgu

Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:22 pm

Coal-TG do not like us to give out exact seats numbers but economy is about 3/4 full and business 2/3 full

Cheers!
Tony

easyas321

Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:26 pm

your travel agent can look up seat maps in their CRS, which shows seats that haven't been allocated or more correctly seat that have or have been blocked off for certain reasons like exit rows, elite freqeunt flyers etc.

ryanb741

Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:35 pm

Many thanks, looks like I have an excellent chance of securing a standby upgrate at checkin then
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

lincoln

Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:47 pm

Quoting IC408 (Reply 3):
www.seatcounter.com is pretty handy but don't know if its always realtime/updated. But a fairly useful tool to get a basic idea on loads.

Note though that SeatCounter, like most of the reservation systems available ourside of the airline itself (i.e. what travel agencies, etc. use) will never show you more than 9 (and in some cases 7) seats available in any class -- if you see a "9" there could be exactly 9 seats open or there could be 200.

I do love my SeatCounter, though  Smile

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

Coal

Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:31 pm

OK, thanks for the link!

Cheers,
Coal  swirl 
Nxt Flts: MI RGN-SIN | SQ SIN-RGN-SIN | CX SIN-HKG-PVG | SQ PVG-SIN

luv2fly

Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:31 pm

Quoting Easyas321 (Reply 5):
your travel agent can look up seat maps in their CRS, which shows seats that haven't been allocated or more correctly seat that have or have been blocked off for certain reasons like exit rows, elite freqeunt flyers etc.

This is most likely a snapshot at best, it does not tell you what seats are actually being held for people with tickets or what are blocked for elites and or for airport check in.
You can cut the irony with a knife

PhilSquares

Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:37 pm

Another thing with SeatCounter, is it really doesn't give the seats available. It gives you the seats available in that fare bucket. Depending on the airline, it might show 9 Y seats available and 9K seats available. They might be the same seats. However, if you only see seats available in the higher class of fares, you can be assured the flight is filling up.

Also some airlines don't show the entire inventory in F/J, they only show 4 available when the other classes show 9.
Fly fast, live slow

seattleflyer

Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:47 am

BA has disappeared from seatcounter.com recently. Anybody know what's up with that?

Viscount724

Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:54 am

Quoting PhilSquares (Reply 10):
Another thing with SeatCounter, is it really doesn't give the seats available. It gives you the seats available in that fare bucket. Depending on the airline, it might show 9 Y seats available and 9K seats available. They might be the same seats. However, if you only see seats available in the higher class of fares, you can be assured the flight is filling up.

Also some airlines don't show the entire inventory in F/J, they only show 4 available when the other classes show 9.

Yes, the type of info in theSeatCounter site is only a general indication of availability at best since it won't show more than 9 (or often less) seats available even if the flight is almost empty. And it doesn't reflect overbooking profiles. e.g. On some routes a flight may be heavily overbooked but still show seats open for sale due to expected cancellations and no-shows on the flight/date in question.

Exact availability information would never be made available on a public website as that would be very useful to competitors. A few WestJet senior executives including their CEO got into serious trouble a couple of years ago when they obtained access to the internal AC employee travel website that does show exact seat availability on all flights. Several WestJet employees (not their CEO but at least one VP) resigned after being implicated and it cost WestJet CAD$15.5 million to settle the lawsuit by AC. Related news item below:

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/sto...a-westjet-settlement-20060529.html

hjulicher

Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:20 am

I'm looking to go standby on Friday from DTW-BWI on the 6am flight. I'm also willing to go standby to PHL. the flight to PHL look incredibly empty, but I can't believe this. Can anyone verify the loads of the flights from DTW-BWI/PHL on April 6? It's easter weekend so I would imagine that the flights are really full.

Thanks again.
LH 442

Yellowstone

Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:58 am

How accurate is it just to go onto the airline's website, bring up the flight as if you are going to book it, then go to the select seats feature and look there?
Hydrogen is an odorless, colorless gas which, given enough time, turns into people.

lincoln

Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:09 pm

Quoting Yellowstone (Reply 14):
How accurate is it just to go onto the airline's website, bring up the flight as if you are going to book it, then go to the select seats feature and look there?

Um, er... not really at all.

Depending on the airline and the oversale situation the seat map may or may not reflect seats that are blocked (i.e. held back for assignment at the airport / for customers with special needs). Also not every person who has purchased a ticket necessarially has a seat assignment, so ovbiously those passengers would not be reflected on the seat map.

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

Viscount724

Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:13 pm

Quoting Yellowstone (Reply 14):

If you see that almost all seats are assigned it's obviously a good indication that the flight is heavily booked. However if there are still many seats unassigned it can give a misleading impression that the flight has plenty of space available, as many passengers don't select seats in advance and the seats are only assigned at check-in. I've been on some flights that looked half empty or more within a day of departure when I checked in using their website, but the flights were almost completely full at departure time.