USADreamliner
Topic Author

Taag To Cuba

Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:03 am

This is from wikipedia ( not a reliable source, but anyway):

Angola's government has enjoyed a long, good relationship with the Cuban government. Seeking a connection with Latin American countries, the now private airline looked forward to starting flights to that Caribbean nation.

TAAG bought a Boeing 747 with this route in mind. When granted rights to fly to Cuba, TAAG gained the "distinction" of being the only African airline to fly to José Martí International Airport in Havana. The airline still uses the 747 on this route.

As far as I know, they don't fly to Cuba, at least not scheduled routes.
Any more information about this flights or when they operated this flights?

LTU932

RE: Taag To Cuba

Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:07 am

I'm guessing DT has seasonal service to HAV. The other question is whether that information is indeed reliable or not.

LatinPlane

Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:42 am

TAAG flew to Havana back in the 70s/80s, and early 90s,(I believe) and so did the airline from its sister country LAM Linhas Aereas de Mozambique. There was a lot of interaction with Cuba during the civil war in Angola. I've heard that many Cuban professors, doctors, and others in specialized fields were sent to Angola to assist with the organization of the country once Angola declared its independence from Portugal. Cuban workers reached very high numbers warranting the need for once every two-week service between the two points. Today, TAAG only maintains a sales office in Havana as a political gesture for all the help Angola received from Cuba when it was a very young nation.

Smile LatinPlane

P.S. on Myaviation.net, you can search for a foto of a LAM Ill-86 parked on the tarmac of Havana
Pan Am - The World's Most Experienced Airline.

md90fan

Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:53 am

Quoting Latinplane (Reply 2):
TAAG flew to Havana back in the 70s/80s, and early 90s,(I believe) and so did the airline from its sister country LAM Linhas Aereas de Mozambique. There was a lot of interaction with Cuba during the civil war in Angola. I've heard that many Cuban professors, doctors, and others in specialized fields were sent to Angola to assist with the organization of the country once Angola declared its independence from Portugal. Cuban workers reached very high numbers warranting the need for once every two-week service between the two points. Today, TAAG only maintains a sales office in Havana as a political gesture for all the help Angola received from Cuba when it was a very young nation.

x2

Cuba also had soldiers in Angola aligned with the MPLA organacion. Since they were both comrades in the Communist world, Cuba found it in it's best interest to help the new Communist states in Africa at the time.

This was reflected by the sheer number of routes to Allied nations and rogue states purely for political reasons.

Saludos,
Devan  cool 
http://www.devanwells.blogspot.com/

AirSpare

Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:39 am

Big version: Width: 640 Height: 480 File size: 144kb

Big version: Width: 640 Height: 480 File size: 143kb

Big version: Width: 640 Height: 360 File size: 114kb

First time I've uploaded photos so if I f it up, sorry.

Now TAAG....Reading local magazines of the T7 and 737 order, infrastructure upgrades, seeing the A/C parked here and Varig engineering techs around, does anyone want to speculate on a future fleet order for a few extra routes north and west?

Felipe, did you have a chance to browse the mags I sent? Got an opinion?

Tchau
Get someone else for your hero worship fetish

md90fan

Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:48 am

Well since we are on to pictures, I'll post a few from my collection  cheerful 

First and foremost, Angola possess the World's fastest economy and last year it's GDP grew by 20%.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s29/kingofthehill2/luanda1.jpg

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s29/kingofthehill2/luanada3.jpg

(The bottom picture is the new Luanda WTC)

Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:53 am

Quoting Latinplane (Reply 2):
TAAG flew to Havana back in the 70s/80s, and early 90s,(I believe) and so did the airline from its sister country LAM Linhas Aereas de Mozambique. There was a lot of interaction with Cuba during the civil war in Angola. I've heard that many Cuban professors, doctors, and others in specialized fields were sent to Angola to assist with the organization of the country once Angola declared its independence from Portugal. Cuban workers reached very high numbers warranting the need for once every two-week service between the two points.

I remember when I was a kid, late 70's/early 80's, I got my hands on a worldwide OAG, and was shocked to see amongst the few international flights to HAV, flights to some place in a country called Angola that I'd never heard of. I asked my parents about it and they explained the political situation. My memory says it was a weekly flight that alternated between the Angolan airline (was it still TAAG back then) with a 707 and Cubana with an Il-62 -- so each flew a round-trip every two weeks.
7 hours aint long-haul

AirSpare

Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:02 am

MD90fan

Thanks for posting the pics, I have some more I'll upload on the next TAAG thread. I'm on a slooow dial up downtowm.

How about some speculatoin that TAAG could fill 4 787-8s?

One thing I could never figiue out why there isn't a there a national airlines rinning routes up the coast. Lack of open skies?

Some 787s TAAG?
Get someone else for your hero worship fetish

LipeGIG

Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:29 am

Quoting AirSpare (Reply 4):
Felipe, did you have a chance to browse the mags I sent? Got an opinion?

Yes Michael, thanks again. It's impressive the size of an economy that "borned" again just a couple of years ago. Probably is the country with more opportunities today for a lot of corporations !

Quoting AirSpare (Reply 7):
How about some speculatoin that TAAG could fill 4 787-8s?

May be, IMO LAD could be an important connecting airport for some others closer countries and this could help TAAG to fly more to LIS, GIG, JNB and to begin flights to other markets like CDG, MAD and in the future a US regular route.

Felipe
New York + Rio de Janeiro = One of the best combinations !

LatinPlane

Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:55 pm

MyAviation.net photo:
Click here for bigger photo!
Photo © propfreak

Here is the pic I was talking about earlier. LAM - Linhas Aereas de Mozambique also flew tranatlantic services to Havana at the same time that Cubana de Aviacion flew its African revolutionary La Habana - Isla do Sal - Luanda - Maputo route. What an exotic route of the bigone era.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Orlando Silva

TAAG also flew its Luanda - Isla do Sal - La Habana flight with machinery produced by communist U.S.S.R., while at same time flying Boeing 707s on its other route to the Americas, the still running Luanda - Rio de Janeiro.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Daniel R.Carneiro

Smile LatinPlane
Pan Am - The World's Most Experienced Airline.

soups

Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:32 pm

Cubana flew to many african destinations in the eary days including accra
Next destinations, Suarabaya, beirut, paris, Accra

RAFVC10

Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:59 am

Well, not many years ago (about ten or twelve years) I remember Cubana had a weekly flight from HAV to LAD and MPM with stop in SID.

They used to operate IL62 equipment.

But I must to recognise that I don't remember TAAG operating to Cuba... only to Rio de Janeiro with 743 equipment (when I had notices about these flights, I remember I was shocked!)
El dia que los gilipollas vuelen, no podremos ver la luz del sol!

airbazar

Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:23 am

IIRC LAM never flew to Cuba regularly. Those pictures are most likely charters that were used to carry Cuban professionals and aid to Mozambique, or Mozambican students to go study in Cuba.

B747-437B

Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:39 am

Quoting MD90fan (Reply 5):
First and foremost, Angola possess the World's fastest economy and last year it's GDP grew by 20%.

Lets not lose sight of the fact that despite all this, Angola remains one of the most depressing places in Africa and without a doubt the most bureaucratic and corrupt by far. And this comes from someone who has worked all over the continent from Liberia to Kenya to South Africa to Nigeria.
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

md90fan

Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:37 am

Quoting B747-437B (Reply 13):
Lets not lose sight of the fact that despite all this, Angola remains one of the most depressing places in Africa and without a doubt the most bureaucratic and corrupt by far. And this comes from someone who has worked all over the continent from Liberia to Kenya to South Africa to Nigeria.

I'm well aware of that my friend, 70% of the people live on less than $2.00 a day and while the country made 30billion dollars in oil exports much of that has not made it's way to the average Angolan.

Angola ranks 142nd among 163 countries in Transparency International's annual corruption perception index, I read that in a article not too long ago.

Still Angola has come a long ways from it's pre-2002 standards IMO.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos