Experimental Aviation

Sun Feb 28, 1999 3:55 pm

If you class your plane as Experimental (homebuilt) will you be able to charge people for rides in it i.e. lessons or corporate charter?
Iain

Cody

RE: Experimental Aviation

Sun Feb 28, 1999 11:53 pm

I don't think an experimental plane can be used for commercial operations.

L-188

Mon Mar 01, 1999 4:06 am

NO.

They closest that you can get to getting paid in one is splitting the fuel costs with a buddy that you are flying with. The same restriction that you have on a private license.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

RE: Then how

Mon Mar 01, 1999 5:07 am

I find this hard to believe. How do you learn to fly ultralights? You learn in a 2 seater that is classed as experimental. Like the MXII.
Iain

L-188

An ultralight is not an aircraft

Mon Mar 01, 1999 5:18 am

Technichally an ultralight is not an aircraft. In the US nither the Pilot nor the aircraft has to be licensed or registered. I can't remember the exact weight but I think the Max gross weight is 250lbs to be an ultralight. I think there is an additional couple of pounds allowed for a two seater.

As far as flight instructing is concerened I belive that it is a case of owner-supplied aircraft. If I happen to build say an experimental with a tailwheel I can hire a flight instructor to give lessons to get my tailwheel endorsement in that airplane. A flight instructor can't own an experimental aircraft and then look for students to instruct in it.

I hope this explains the diffenernce. Correctly.

RE: An ultralight is not an aircraft

Mon Mar 01, 1999 6:36 am

But a 2 seater training ultralight have to be registered and the instructor needs to have his PPL. I have seen aircraft like MXII and T-birds used for instruction is that against the law?
Iain

L-188

Mon Mar 01, 1999 6:42 am

Was this in the US? The rules are different in other countries. I am probably going to have to look up Far Part 103. I know there are some aircraft out there that look like ultralights but don't meet the weight requirements. They are bumped into the experimental catagory.

Mon Mar 01, 1999 7:10 am

Yeah this is in the US. I have done some research on this and I am confused with your answer. It is not under FAR 103 as it has 2 seats and 9 gallons of fuel. It also is 400 pounds I think but it is heavier then FAR 103 allows.
Iain

L-188

Mon Mar 01, 1999 8:05 am

I'm going to have to go with your numbers untill I look up part 103. Since I don't fly ultralight aircraft I am not as for up to speed on their regs as I should be

L-188

Mon Mar 01, 1999 8:10 am

The other thing is that ultralights have their own dedicated set of rules FAR-103. Other homebuilts fall under the normal rules that everybody has to go by. Like I said in the earlier post I don't deal with the homebuilt rules at all so I am rusty on them. But I am pretty sure I was right about the flight instructing rules for homebuilts that are operating under the same rules as production aircraft.

The two need to be treated seperatly.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos