jimyvr

Star Signed MoU With Egypt Air+Ethiopian For...

Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:02 pm

...bilateral cooperation, according to Thursday 05APR07's ATWOnline.

http://www.atwonline.com/news/other.html?issueDate=4%2F5%2F2007

However, as per Lufthansa's Executive VP-Marketing and Sales Thierry Antinori quote "But that does not mean both carriers will be members of the alliance".
1000 - 01MAR07 | http://airlineroute.blogspot.com/

kiwiandrew

RE: Star Signed MoU With Egypt Air+Ethiopian For...

Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:53 pm

talk about sending mixed messages !

interestingly both MS and ET have been rumoured in the last year or so as potential Star members , does this mean that there is a "vacancy " for which both are applying but only one will get it ? ET , IIRC , already has their flights co-ordinated to a degree with LH for connection purposes , and they codeshare ADD-JNB with SA . I am sure that any of the 3 alliances would be delighted to snare them .

Guess we will have to wait and see

dkny

Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:58 pm

So what does it mean? ET is in codeshare with Star members? And how deep is the cooperation?

OA260

Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:24 pm

ET would make a nice addition , I dont know about MS though.

aerorobnz

Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:31 pm

I'd love it to happen, it would make my african trip a lot easier to accrue star points without using JNB.
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

Qazar

Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:06 am

It was expected!!!

Star has been concentrating on the Chinese and Indian markets... very important market in terms of potential future growth. Now that Air China and Shanghai Airlines are announed as official Star members; and both Air India and Indian airlines are almost in the bag as well, Star is starting to turn an eye towards the Middle East and Africa.

Both Egyptair and Ethiopian have been rumoured to be entering Star, and now we start seeing the first signs of this happening. Also considering that MEA and Royal Jordanian have been announced as entering boh Skyteam and Oneworld respectively, Egyptair makes perfect sense for Star. I would also expect both Air Malta and Qatar Airways to be announced soon as well.

My only surprise is that, considering RG witdrawal from Star, I would have expected an announcement about TACA and/or TAM... I know that Star is desperately working to recruit in the region and would expect an annuncement very soon about one of those 2 carriers, if not both.

After that, expect some some activity around the Russian and CIS regions.

So here are my picks for future memberships, in no particular order, for 2007-2008:
- Air India
- Indian Airlines
- Air Malta
- Egyptair
- Ethiopian Airlines
- Qatar Airways
- TACA
- TAM

For 2009 - 2010:
- Virgin Atlantic
- Virgin Nigeria
- Virgin Blue
- Russian-based and/or CIS-based airline

LAXintl

Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:17 am

I would be a little cautious about assuming Egyptair will gain full Star membership. With the entry of Turkish Airlines, it was given exclusive position in the Eastern Mediterranean region including connections to the Levant and chunks of the the Middle East.

On the other hand I could definately see Ethiopian join as it would be filling a gap within the alliance especially consider its East African neighbor Kenya Airways being an associate member of Skyteam.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

AF022

Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:08 am

The sooner Ethiopian joins Star, the better for Star, no doubt. ET just needs better inflight service, but their network is very strong.

Horus

Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:57 am

Quoting Laxintl (Reply 6):
I would be a little cautious about assuming Egyptair will gain full Star membership. With the entry of Turkish Airlines, it was given exclusive position in the Eastern Mediterranean region including connections to the Levant and chunks of the the Middle East.

EgyptAir has been working and liasing with Lufthansa and Star Alliance for almost a year with the premise of becoming a full alliance member. EgyptAir Chairman, Eng Atef Abdel Hamid stated "We have approached Star Alliance and have had a positive response. I believe we will succeed in this endeavour". A lot of work has, and is, taking place behind the scenes which I can't delve into however tentative steps are being taken in terms of upgrading the EgyptAir product and creating/expanding on agreements with current alliance members (including LH, OS, SQ, LX, TK, TG, SA and soon TP). Furthermore the current network system and fleet planning is being heavily influenced by an alliance membership.

With regards to a possible conflict of interest between MS and TK, I'd say there isn't a significant amount of overlap. Clearly TK has a stronger European and Central Asian network, however MS has a more extensive operation to the Middle East/Gulf and Africa. Star Alliance needs a Middle Eastern carrier to offer a greater number of destinations within the region at higher frequencies and EgyptAir fits the bill.

Furthermore, the alliance needs greater presence in Africa. There's no doubt SA is a strong carrier however due to the geographical location of its JNB hub, connections to African destinations may be time consuming and involve a rather long detour. ET has focused on developing a strong African network and MS has been doing so since 2005. In fact this summer sees a significant increase in African services with all destinations becoming non-stop. With the exception of North African destinations (i.e. KRT, TIP, BEN, TUN, ALG and CMN) which are sustained by the heavy O&D demand, MS carries a significant amount of transfer passengers on its African services particularly EBB, ASM and JNB. And with EgyptAir being one of the staunchest supporters of the Yamoussoukro Decision I see significant growth by the carrier in the African market in the foreseeable future.

Horus
EGYPT: A 7,000 Year Old Civilisation

ZKNBX

Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:01 pm

Quoting Qazar (Reply 5):
I would also expect both Air Malta and Qatar Airways to be announced soon as well.

I think Star is looking quite full. Where are you gettin your info? Also, with airmiles and loyalty programmes less and less of a draw card for travellers these days, because the airlines have tightened their purse, and years-old promises of consistent service in Star (give me a break) clearly not delivering, there is every reason for travellers to shop around.

jimyvr

Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:12 am

Quoting ZKNBX (Reply 9):
Quoting Qazar (Reply 5):
I would also expect both Air Malta and Qatar Airways to be announced soon as well.

I think Star is looking quite full. Where are you gettin your info?

Air Malta is leaning towards Star as regional member since it signed strategic partnership with LH last year.

Qatar seems to be pretty obvious.
1000 - 01MAR07 | http://airlineroute.blogspot.com/