RP TPA
Topic Author

Air Canada Named Official Airline Of YVR Olympics

Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:15 am

No major shocker, as this has been speculated for some time now.

http://micro.newswire.ca/release.cgi...ey=1504052615&view=13213-0&Start=0

Jayce

RE: Air Canada Named Official Airline Of YVR Olympics

Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:43 am

I don't think there was any real competition for this. The only other options would have have been WestJet or Harmony. WS probably wouldn't have worked as a low-fare, domestic carrier and HQ (before thier closing), had a limited network. Though they were YVR-based which would have been nice.
"Trying is the first step towards failure" -Homer Simpson

swissy

Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:58 am

Jup a no brainer, just a other reason for WS to finally get their WB LH program going!!!! Big grin

Cheers,

multimark

Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:59 am

Excellent news, hopefully we will see a ramping up of services into YVR, and a continued increase after 2010.

Bicoastal

Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:00 am

Westjet would have had problems flying athletes in from around the world. Many stops required on flights from, let's say, Mumbai to Vancouver on a 737. Big grin

AC with its Star Alliance network was an obvious choice. I wonder how many millions it's costing Air Canada for this privilege?
Airliners.net has many forums. It has spell check and search functions. Use them before posting!

sebring

Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:04 am

Quoting Multimark (Reply 3):
Excellent news, hopefully we will see a ramping up of services into YVR, and a continued increase after 2010.

You're seeing new services all the time. A new YVR-SYD nonstop, a second YVR-PEK flight this summer, new transborder markets like SMF. YVR-CAN is in queue, awaiting a Canada-China tourism agreement.

toltommy

Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:19 am

Quoting Bicoastal (Reply 4):
I wonder how many millions it's costing Air Canada for this privilege?

Probably not as much as it would if the games were in another city or country with competing int'l carriers. Just imagine the battle that will be brewing between VS, BA, and BM to be the official airline for the London games!

sebring

Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:22 am

I've seen estimates of a top tier Olympic sponsorship run from C$15-50 million. How much of this would be contra, I cannot say.

Bicoastal

Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:23 am

Wasn't Emirates the official of the World Cup in Germany last year? Is there a requirement that an Olympic Organizing Committee choose an airline from its own country?
Airliners.net has many forums. It has spell check and search functions. Use them before posting!

luv2fly

Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:28 am

Quoting Sebring (Reply 7):
I've seen estimates of a top tier Olympic sponsorship run from C$15-50 million. How much of this would be contra, I cannot say.

You hit the nail on the head, it has to do with what your willing to pay for the honor of being the official carrier than what schedules you offer.
You can cut the irony with a knife

robsawatsky

Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:29 am

Quoting Bicoastal (Reply 4):
Westjet would have had problems flying athletes in from around the world. Many stops required on flights from, let's say, Mumbai to Vancouver on a 737.

Cute joke but the official olympic airline doesn't get rights to transport anyone but Canadian athletes.

"The six-year partnership includes sponsorship rights and transportation for the Canadian Olympic teams participating at the Beijing 2008, Vancouver 2010 and London 2012 Olympic Games."

AH332

Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:03 am

Hi,

Quoting Jayce (Reply 1):
don't think there was any real competition for this. The only other options would have have been WestJet or Harmony.

TS could have been a good choice.

Cheers,
Imad
Bledi Heya Al Djazaeer! // Next Flights: AB MIA-DUS-ORY, AF ORY-MRS-ALG

sebring

Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:12 am

Why would Transat be a good choice? It's a charter airline whose planes will fly full anyway, it doesn't serve Asia, the South Pacific, Africa or Latin America. It has no international codeshares and it doesn't fly domestically.

as739x

Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:02 am

You mean its not going to be Harmony?  sarcastic 

ASLAX
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

vv701

Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:38 am

Quoting TOLtommy (Reply 6):
Just imagine the battle that will be brewing between VS, BA, and BM to be the official airline for the London games!

I understand the cost is US $80 million. So my guess is that VS, BA and BD will leave the field clear for EK. After all EK paid a lot of money for this:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Chaity

But LH bought a few pots of black paint and gave a lot of their aircraft a new, low cost nose job:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Wim Callaert - Brussels Aviation Photography

while I expect dba were richly rewarded by Puma for this:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Konstantin von Wedelstaedt

Viscount724

Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:57 am

I recall a few years ago AC dropped all their sports-related sponsorships. They said they weren't generating enough revenue to offset the related costs. For example they used to be one of the major sponsors of the Montreal Grand Prix Formula 1 race. The new arena in downtown Montreal where the NHL's Montreal Canadiens play was also originally called the Air Canada Centre. They dropped both of those sponsorships, and I think there were a few others.

I guess that was also during the period when AC was in serious financial trouble and on the verge of bankruptcy.

sebring

Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:11 am

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 15):
I recall a few years ago AC dropped all their sports-related sponsorships. They said they weren't generating enough revenue to offset the related costs. For example they used to be one of the major sponsors of the Montreal Grand Prix Formula 1 race. The new arena in downtown Montreal where the NHL's Montreal Canadiens play was also originally called the Air Canada Centre. They dropped both of those sponsorships, and I think there were a few others.

The Montreal arena was the Molson Centre before it became the Bell Centre. It was never the Air Canada Centre. The formula 1 sponsorship was dropped because of CCAA and because as an ongoing event, it didn't generate the revenues from air travel that justified the high annual cost. The publicity halo around the race was not nearly as great as the halo around the Olympics. Air Canada never considered dropping naming rights for the Air Canada Centre in Toronto, and it continues to be a sponsor of junior hockey. You will see Air Canada's ads on the boards of all Canadian NHL arenas, and that continued uninterrupted throughout CCAA.

Viscount724

Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:38 am

Quoting Sebring (Reply 16):
The Montreal arena was the Molson Centre before it became the Bell Centre. It was never the Air Canada Centre.

Thanks for the correction. I must have been confused with the Grand Prix sponsorship. I just had it in my mind that there was an arena or stadium somewhere that at one time had the AC name which was later dropped but must be thinking of something else.

Just remembered now that the new arena in YYC built prior to the 1988 Winter Olympics and originally called the Olympic Saddledome (and home of the Calgary Flames NHL team) was renamed the Canadian Airlines Saddledome when CP got involved in a sponsorship deal in 1996. YYC was of course CP's headquarters then. AC decided not to maintain the sponsorship when they took over CP in 2000 and the arena's name changed again.

Does anyone remember whether AC was the official carrier for previous Olympics held in Canada, e.g. the 1988 Winter Games in YYC or the 1976 Summer games in YUL?

AirCop

Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:40 am

Although Air Canada is the official airline of the Vancouver Games, doesn't stop other countries from being the official airline of the various Olympics teams. Wasn't UA the official airline of the US teams in Sydney and Delta for SLC and ATH? I would hope that Air Canada didn't spend to much on this, since they are the really the only game in Canada.

JAL777

Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:52 am

Quoting TOLtommy (Reply 6):
Just imagine the battle that will be brewing between VS, BA, and BM to be the official airline for the London games!

Apprently, the London IOC can't seem to get any of them to care.... BA told them that for $80MM, they can shove it.

toltommy

RE: Air Canada Named Official Airline Of YVR Olymp

Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:58 am

Quoting Robsawatsky (Reply 10):

Cute joke but the official olympic airline doesn't get rights to transport anyone but Canadian athletes.

Thats two different sponsorships. If I recall correctly, DL was the official airline of the ATL games, but UA was the official airline of the US Olympic team. AC being the official airline of the games probably has nothing to do with who carriers canadian athletes.

I recall a few years ago AC dropped all their sports-related sponsorships. They said they weren't generating enough revenue to offset the related costs.

Of course the trip thru bankruptcy had nothing to do with the convenient opportunity to break contracts.....

scrubbsywg

Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:20 pm

added correction, the arena in YYZ, where the leafs and raptors play is, and always has been, called the Air Canada Centre,

robsawatsky

Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:57 pm

Quoting TOLtommy (Reply 20):

Thats two different sponsorships. If I recall correctly, DL was the official airline of the ATL games, but UA was the official airline of the US Olympic team. AC being the official airline of the games probably has nothing to do with who carriers canadian athletes.

Yes, two different but one in the same for 2010 (since it is in Canada). Specifically:

"Official airline of the Vancouver 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games"
"Official transportation provider for canadian olympic teams to Beijing 2008, Vancouver 2010 and London 2012"

Being the official airline doesn't include anything more than naming rights/publicity and an opportunity (along with every other airline that has the proper route authority) to carry athletes from other countries. The agreement to actually carry athletes is made with the individual national teams.

northstardc4m

Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:29 pm

Quoting ScrubbsYWG (Reply 21):

added correction, the arena in YYZ, where the leafs and raptors play is, and always has been, called the Air Canada Centre,

Nah, thats just the tourist name... everybody calls it the Hangar... and it does look like one.
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

nyc2theworld

Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:59 pm

Quoting TOLtommy (Reply 20):

Usually the "hometown" airline is the official carrier of the games. Mainly because it allows the teams who don't have special deals made with another carrier to book contract rates on the airline. In addition, I wouldn't be suprised of a vast majority of the air/hotel/ticket packages are on AC for the YVR games in addition to all organizing committee travel.

So while it is mainly a marketing effort, there is an actual service provided by all these "official" companies. For example, during the Olympics, try using an Amex card to buy anything, or get burger king for food at a venue or (if you have the chance to get in) at the Olympic Village.
Always wonderers if this "last and final boarding call" is in fact THE last and final boarding call.

rootsair

Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:30 am

thank goodness its AC and not EK!!!

cheers
BM  airplane   wave 
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

threepoint

Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:02 am

Quoting Sebring (Reply 5):
You're seeing new services all the time. A new YVR-SYD nonstop, a second YVR-PEK flight this summer, new transborder markets like SMF. YVR-CAN is in queue, awaiting a Canada-China tourism agreement.

The YVR-SYD isn't really so much of a new service as the elimination of a stop. YVR-CAN 'in the queue' is also not a new service either until it actually happens (don't hold your breath). I think the point was it would be nice to have new services that don't fly through YYZ (ie: Latin & South America + more Europe). I'm sure these will materialise when the market demand and fleet availability allow.

Quoting AH332 (Reply 11):
TS could have been a good choice.

Sure, if the athletes have an extra week to limber up after flying with their knees up by their chins.

Quoting Sebring (Reply 12):
Why would Transat be a good choice? It's a charter airline whose planes will fly full anyway, it doesn't serve Asia, the South Pacific, Africa or Latin America. It has no international codeshares and it doesn't fly domestically.

It doesn't have to. We're talking charter to three destinations for a maximum of three weeks each. I'm sure PEK, LHR and YVR would be no problem for TS.
Logically though, there's really not much of an argument that AC is the carrier best able to serve their part of the agreement. Their name will be in front of the world (remember when the Olympics was about sports?), only increasing the awareness & interest of potential non-Canadian passengers.

[Edited 2007-04-07 00:11:18]
The nice thing about a mistake is the pleasure it gives others.

yyz717

Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:00 am

AC is the only logical choice. WS could have become the official carrier (if it was a member of OneWorld) but even this would have been an uphill PR battle to supplant AC.

WS will still benefit greatly from the 2010 games.

[Edited 2007-04-07 04:05:21]
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

vv701

Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:08 pm

Quoting NYC2theworld (Reply 24):
Usually the "hometown" airline is the official carrier of the games. Mainly because it allows the teams who don't have special deals made with another carrier to book contract rates on the airline. In addition, I wouldn't be surprised of a vast majority of the air/hotel/ticket packages are on AC for the YVR games in addition to all organizing committee travel.

So while it is mainly a marketing effort, there is an actual service provided by all these "official" companies. For example, during the Olympics, try using an Amex card to buy anything, or get burger king for food at a venue or (if you have the chance to get in) at the Olympic Village.

Of course you are right about Amex and Burger King. If Visa and McDonalds buy the franchise (for $80 million at the Summer Olympics and Paraolympics) then you cannot use your Amex card or buy a Burger King burger on any Olympic site.

But - at least to date - no Olympic site has included an airport. So there is no exclusivity of any kind in being the 'Official Airline' to any Olympic meeting. Spectators visiting the Olympics may choose to fly any airline offering the appropriate flight or flights. Any Olympic team may choose to contract with any commercial aviation company to either be the Official Carrier to the team or simply to get the team from A to B on the appropriate dates. So the only plus you get from being appointed the Official Airline by the organising committee of a specific games is to call yourself, for example 'Official Airline Vancouver Winter Olympics and Paraolympics 2010'.

However whether or not this is worth the asking price of $80 million when being the Official Carrier for your National Olympic Team can probably be obtained in most countries simply by flying the team to the games no charge will be a decision that will not be difficult for most airlines.

And, as we have seen in Reply 14, for the imaginative airline marketing executive, there are other, much lower cost marketing inatives that Mr General Public will have difficulty in distinguishing from the Real McCoy.