FlyDeltaJets
Topic Author

Delta JFK Securty Breech

Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:48 am

Today in JFK Terminal 3 there was a security breech. No real details were given but the flights were delayed by approx. 1 hr and a few flights were cancelled.
The only valid opinions are those based in facts

JetJock22

RE: Delta JFK Securty Breech

Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:53 am

Quoting FlyDeltaJets (Thread starter):
No real details were given but the flights were delayed by approx. 1 hr and a few flights were cancelled.

According to Delta here in CMH, they are still investigating and the terminal is still evacuated

abrelosojos

Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:14 am

Live, and let live.

san747

Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:43 pm

I was there tonight, sending a friend off to LA... God that place was a nightmare! My friend has only flown twice before (LAX-PHX-BDL last week were her first 2) and she has to encounter something like this so early in her flying experience?

Things like this turn people off to flying, and honestly, after 2 hours in a non-moving line, it was even beginning to test a die-hard like me... I was pissed as hell because I was borrowing a REALLY nice camera but couldn't even use it because I was in line with my friend making sure she got through security OK...
Scotty doesn't know...

Mir

Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:11 pm

The DL complex at JFK is awful. I waited in a security line that had one (1) metal detector for half the terminal. I can't imagine how bad it would be if the whole terminal had to get evacuated and everybody rescreened. And after you get airside, it's not really any better. About the only thing going for it is the historical aspect, evidenced by the maps on the walls that give the location of the VS Clubhouse in T2, and depect the IAB in its old configuration.

It's a shame, because DL has a decent product, but I'd be hard pressed to fly them out of JFK again.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

jfk69

Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:20 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 4):
waited in a security line that had one (1) metal detector for half the terminal

I totally agree with you here. Just got back from flying JFK - SEA - JFK and the product in the air was fine, but the whole ground experience should be banned from society. The security checkpoints are understaffed causing a zoo effect right as you walk in. The Delta ground staff in both destinations left a lot to be desired though.

CVG777

Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:00 am

I was on Delta 193 JFK to Atlanta last night. We boarded and were ready to go at 4:45 when the pilots came on and said that we had to hold at the gate due to a security problem. We sat there until 6:30, when security officers came on the plane and did a search. We then continued to sit there until 7:00, when we pushed back in time to wait in line with all of the international traffic. We ended up taking off around 7:45, a little over three hours late.

I missed my connection to DAB and spent the night in a hotel.

It was an interesting experience, and the pilots and flight attendants kept us informed. Thankfully we didn't have to deplane, and thankfully I was in an exit row with lots of room to stretch out.

One suggestion to Delta though, don't keep the moving map turned on while we are sitting on the ground. For two hours it said:

Groundspeed: 0
Altitude: 27
Distance Traveled: 0

Like adding salt to the wounds.  Smile

JetJock22

Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:26 am

Quoting JFK69 (Reply 5):
The security checkpoints are understaffed

Keep in mind that DL has absolutely nothing to do with staffing the security checkpoints or the amount of metal detectors at a specific checpoint. That falls entirely on the TSA.

rjpieces

Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:26 am

Quoting CVG777 (Reply 6):
. We sat there until 6:30, when security officers came on the plane and did a search.

What kind of security officers?
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

richierich

Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:48 am

Quoting JetJock22 (Reply 7):
Keep in mind that DL has absolutely nothing to do with staffing the security checkpoints or the amount of metal detectors at a specific checpoint. That falls entirely on the TSA.

I agree, but DL should be working with the TSA to develop more space for them to operate. Clearly having only one working detector is not enough for a terminal as busy as that one is.
Let's hope it improves.
None shall pass!!!!

cgnnrw

Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:54 am

Quoting CVG777 (Reply 6):
One suggestion to Delta though, don't keep the moving map turned on while we are sitting on the ground. For two hours it said:

Groundspeed: 0
Altitude: 27
Distance Traveled: 0

Like adding salt to the wounds.

LOL!!!!!  rotfl 
A330 man.

CVG777

Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:11 am

Quoting RJpieces (Reply 8):
What kind of security officers?

Port Authority Police and TSA. They looked in the closets and the bathrooms mostly, from what I saw.

Off topic, but I forgot to mention that the 767 I was on was the Habitat for Humanity plane. The interior was fresh and bright. Overall a great experience...especially in an exit seat.  Wink

Mike

JetJock22

Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:05 am

Quoting Richierich (Reply 9):
I agree, but DL should be working with the TSA to develop more space for them to operate

It all depends on who owns the space in the DL terminal that the TSA operates in. If it is owned by DL, then yes, they should work with the TSA. If it is owned by the Port Authority (which I expect is the case and DL just leases the space), then there is nothing DL can do about the space the TSA operates in. It is actually up to the airport in that instance to work with TSA.

richierich

Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:19 am

Quoting JetJock22 (Reply 12):
It all depends on who owns the space in the DL terminal that the TSA operates in. If it is owned by DL, then yes, they should work with the TSA. If it is owned by the Port Authority (which I expect is the case and DL just leases the space), then there is nothing DL can do about the space the TSA operates in. It is actually up to the airport in that instance to work with TSA.

I admit that I don't know who owns the TSA space at T3. I can only tell you that JetBlue has an expanded security area at T6 - granted, it looks kind of ad-hoc - but it works. Much like DL, JetBlue is operating from a terminal that was not designed to handle modern levels of security or the amount of passengers that are currently flowing through the metal detectors.
None shall pass!!!!

DL787932ER

Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:32 am

Feds detain passengers on Delta flight in Florida

Yesterday's 1221, an M88 JFK-MCO. Anyone know anything further? Is it related to the JFK security problem?
F L Y D E L T A J E T S

DL4EVR

Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:36 am

This whole thing is such a joke. Why would they take almost 2 hours to decide to do a dump??? (into 30 degree weather, no less!!!)
We Love To Fly And It Shows.

Mir

Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:48 pm

Quoting Richierich (Reply 13):
I admit that I don't know who owns the TSA space at T3. I can only tell you that JetBlue has an expanded security area at T6 - granted, it looks kind of ad-hoc - but it works. Much like DL, JetBlue is operating from a terminal that was not designed to handle modern levels of security or the amount of passengers that are currently flowing through the metal detectors.

The difference is that in the JetBlue terminal, at least you have separation of check-in and gate areas. That way, even if you have to put in a makeshift security checkpoint, there is a logical place for it to be. At Terminal 3, the check-in area is also the gate area. It used to be that you'd be screened coming into the terminal, but that wouldn't work with post-9/11 security requirements. So they had to close off certain areas in order to put in a security checkpoint, which had two x-ray machines and one metal detector (all they had room for). In defense of the TSA, they did a damn good job getting people through as quickly as possible, but you can only do so much with so little equipment, and the line was massive.

This is why the terminal needs to be replaced. It can't handle the requirements of today.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day