ferrypilot

Any Celebrations For 80th Anniversary of Lindbergh's Flight?

Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:15 pm

On 21st May 2007 it will be 80 years since the first non-stop flight from New York to Paris and accomplished by probably the most famous aviator of all time. ...Charles Lindberg departed Roosevelt Field on Long Island and flew his Ryan monoplane "Spirit of St. Louis" alone and without an autopilot for 33hrs. 30mins. to reach his planned destination of Le Bourget, Paris. Amongst the many difficulties he overcame, not the least was having no forward facing windows in his aircraft. ...He used a periscope to see forwards!!!

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Stephen B. Aranha

Well anyway I wondered if anyone heard of any celebrations for the 80th anniversary??? ... Last summer I heard Diamond Aircraft were going to try an recreate the flight with a diesel powered Diamond Star DA40, but I haven't heard anymore on that since???

highflier92660

Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:54 pm

He was Charles A. Lindbergh. Lindberg owns the Jewish deli with great pastrami sandwiches.

ferrypilot

Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:08 pm

Yes I'll give you that, ...I suppose I should have checked it first.

chase

Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:08 pm

I have not heard of any celebrations for the upcoming anniversary, but I agree there should be one, either in New York, Paris, Washington DC (the aircraft is now at the Smithsonian, right?), or St. Louis.

Not to hijack your thread, but I have another Lindbergh question that I've been wondering about. In downtown St. Louis, there was a tall building with a "pixellated" picture of Lindbergh on it. This building was demolished around 1990. Anybody know any more about it, such as the name of the building or where I might find a picture of it?

zrs70

Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:05 am

Quoting Highflier92660 (Reply 1):
He was Charles A. Lindbergh. Lindberg owns the Jewish deli with great pastrami sandwiches.

And with what we know about Lindbergh's views on Judaism, the aviator certainly did NOT own a Jewish deli!
17 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2016

contrails

Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:06 am

Having flown "across the pond" a few times - as a passenger - I never cease to be amazed at this feat. Flying a single-engine prop with only the most basic instruments and when a mistake would mean certain death, is more than amazing.

I hope the anniversary of this event will be commemorated here, as only A-netters can do.
Flying Colors Forever!

ferrypilot

RE: Any Celebrations For 80th Anniversary Of Lindbergh's Flight?

Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:01 pm

Quoting Zrs70 (Reply 4):
And with what we know about Lindbergh's views on Judaism, the aviator certainly did NOT own a Jewish deli!

That made me laugh at first when I read it, ...but maybe that was not your intention? ...In fact I really only have Knowledge of Lindbergh's exploits in the air and which I am inclined to admire. Although I am aware that he had visited Germany prior to WWII.