ZooTV

Excess Pollen Causes Cabin Smoke?

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:09 am

I was just talking with a friend who flew LGA-MIA on a Delta MD-88 a few days ago. He says that shortly after takeoff, a plume of smoke made it's way from the front of the cabin to the back - where he was sitting. After a few minutes, the captain came on and said it was from pollen and the smoke was nothing to worry about. The plane continued it's trip to MIA. The plane was in ATL the night before and the entire Atlanta area had record high pollen counts. My question is how would the pollen "burn" and where would the smoke enter the cabin? I've never heard of this before and was interested in how it happens.

afay1

RE: Excess Pollen Causes Cabin Smoke?

Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:49 am

I dunno about smoke, but I have been on a plane several times when we have flown through a pollen "plume" and many people (including myself) starting sneezing, having their eyes water, etc. Not too much fun!

m404

RE: Excess Pollen Causes Cabin Smoke?

Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:33 am

I know on the older DC9s impurities are caught in a "sock" type filter before being circulated. Since outside air at altitude would need to be heated before entering the cabin I'd assume it's the heater that could "burn" these impurities. This last week in Memphis we are thankful for finally getting some rain to wash the very heavy pollen loads away. Everything has a yellow cast to it. Of course tonight it's supposed to freeze.
Less sarcasm and more thought equal better understanding