NWBOS
Topic Author

NW BDL-AMS Meals / No Flight Kitchen In BDL?

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:04 pm

We've heard that there is no flight kitchen in BDL and that LSG Skychefs in BOS will have to truck the meals to BDL for the BDL-AMS flight. Isn't this a bit strange? Are there any other situations where meals have to be trucked a long distance to get to the aircraft? I don't know how long the meals can sit on the plane, but it seems like the time for delivery to BDL would be around peak traffic time. I hope the catering truck doesn't get stuck in traffic! Maybe NW will change the menu to beef sticks and twinkies just to be safe.  Smile

pacifique75

RE: NW BDL-AMS Meals / No Flight Kitchen In BDL?

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:27 pm

A work colleague went to Bratislava, Slovakia on holiday about a year ago... On the return flight, chatting to the cabin crew , he was told their catering was trucked from Vienna, Austria...

chrisnh

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:37 pm

In this day and age of cutting costs to the bone (and then some) it seems to me that preparing meals in Boston and trucking to BDL each day is not the most economical way to deal with this. Couldn't NW contract this out to a certified vendor nearby? I mean, what are we talking...160 meals once each day??? Sometimes airlines display their 'penny-wise & pound-foolish' ineptness for all to see. With gasoline spiking now, that drive from Boston (and back) will tack on several dollars to each meal.

Chris

keno

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:52 pm

Quoting Pacifique75 (Reply 1):
catering was trucked from Vienna, Austria

Nothing strange about that... isn't Vienna is just an hour away by road from Bratislava?

toltommy

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:54 pm

Quoting ChrisNH (Reply 2):
Couldn't NW contract this out to a certified vendor nearby? I mean, what are we talking...160 meals once each day???

It's not just 160 box lunches. There are a number of different meals, all need to be created to NW standards. Plus the caterer would need the extra equipment (Trays, cutlery, carts), and a lift truck just to service the aircraft. It actually is probably more economic to bring the food from BOS rather than pay someone to create a facility to create 160 meals a day in BDL. It's unlikely that anyone wanted to make the investment needed to cater that one plane a day at BDL.

Boeing757/767

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:57 pm

There are plenty of qualified vendors in the BDL area. I'm sure they'll come up with a solution that does not involve a drive that might delay the flight often.
Free-thinking, left-leaning secularist

toltommy

Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:05 pm

A qualified vendor, yes. A qualified vendor who wants to make the investment? Dunno.

But I agree, if the flight takes delays due to catering being stuck on the Mass Pike, you'll see a change. When crews go illegal and passengers have to be protected on other flights/carriers, it suddenly won't look that expensive to NWA to help a local vendor get set up.

Lufthansa

Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:06 pm

One of the kitchens in a Major hotel could easily manage this. Hell almost any large restaurant would be able to do it, and just about anywhere else like a dorm or a college that has industrial kitchen facilities.

It is common in some parts of asia to see hotels like Sheraton doing it for some airlines at secondary airports that don't have the volume of traffic required to justify the investment of airside facilities. I don't see why they couldn't find one somewhere in BDL to do the same.

dutchjet

Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:08 pm

Quoting NWBOS (Thread starter):
Isn't this a bit strange?

What an unsusual situation. I am surprised that NW does not route the aircraft BOS-BDL-AMS or DTW-BDL-AMS to address this issue.

pacifique75

Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:14 pm

LSG Skychefs in BOS will have to truck the meals to BDL

How long (roughly) would the journey time be?

Quoting KEno (Reply 3):
isn't Vienna is just an hour away by road from Bratislava?

Yes, I know it isnt exactly a long journey! I was not aware of any airport/airline having this system though...

B747-437B

Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:20 pm

The logistics involved with longhaul airline catering are incredibly complex. I am sure LSG is offering NWA a very attractive price to service this flight from the BOS facility and at the end of the day, the simplification of the process by leaving it with LSG is well worth it.
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

B752OS

Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:32 pm

Quoting Pacifique75 (Reply 9):
How long (roughly) would the journey time be?

Depending on traffic, anywhere from 1.5 hours-2.5 hours.

I was driving on I-84 yesterday visiting family in Connecticut and saw a billboard advertising the flight. It was a light blue background with a NW 752 on it and it mentioned it was the first non-stop flight to Europe out of BDL. If anyone is wondering, you can see it driving eastbound towards Mass, the one I saw was between Waterbury and Hartford.

max999

Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:46 pm

Quoting TOLtommy (Reply 6):
But I agree, if the flight takes delays due to catering being stuck on the Mass Pike, you'll see a change. When crews go illegal and passengers have to be protected on other flights/carriers, it suddenly won't look that expensive to NWA to help a local vendor get set up.

I suspect that if the truck is delayed, NW will forgo the catering and just give everyone meal vouchers to purchase food in the terminal...hopefully they'll give enough money for a dinner and breakfast.
All the things I really like to do are either immoral, illegal, or fattening.

richierich

Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:58 pm

Quoting B752OS (Reply 11):
I was driving on I-84 yesterday visiting family in Connecticut and saw a billboard advertising the flight. It was a light blue background with a NW 752 on it and it mentioned it was the first non-stop flight to Europe out of BDL. If anyone is wondering, you can see it driving eastbound towards Mass, the one I saw was between Waterbury and Hartford.

There are others along highways in CT - I saw one on I-95 when I passed through the other day. Strangely, it was for southbound traffic in Fairfield County. I guess they want people in that area to think about other options besides NYC airports.

Call me skeptical, but I really don't think this flight has a long term future. I hope I am wrong... guess we will have to wait and see.
None shall pass!!!!

RandyWaldron

Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:02 am

Quoting Dutchjet (Reply 8):
I am surprised that NW does not route the aircraft BOS-BDL-AMS or DTW-BDL-AMS to address this issue.

Your idea is ludicrious. Route an aircraft via a congested city, during peak traffic times, expend hundreds of thousands of extra dollars on landing fees, fuel and operating expenses just to pick up some pre-cooked chicken and pasta? Make an extra stop for catering??? You must be joking - or you have absolutely no knowledge of airline operations.

We've heard that there is no flight kitchen in BDL and that LSG Skychefs in BOS will have to truck the meals to BDL for the BDL-AMS flight

NWBOS, years ago, we carried catering in the belly of the DC10 and in sealed carts in the aft galley for use on the return BOM/DEL-AMS segments. However, it is my understanding after speaking to Tango November that there is a flight kitchen in BDL, but NWA does not have a contract with them.
"Flaps 20, gear down, landing checklist please..."

LAXintl

Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:07 am

This is not as unusual as it sounds. Matter of fact happens every day in a few different airports I know.

For instance just here in Los Angeles, there are no flight kitchens that are located at Burbank nor Long Beach Airports. Airlines generally contract with an LAX vendor whom delivers. Somewhat similar situation at Ontario and Orange County with only a single vendor being available, while some airline prefer to still contract to one of the many LAX vendors with similar delivery for competitive reasons.

Another location I am well familiar with is the Hawaii Islands. Matter of fact there are no airline catering outfits on several of the outlying islands including Kauhai, Hilo and Kona. Airlines use all types ways to get around this by flying things in from Honolulu, using hotels for partial catering, or round tripping food from the mainland.

Lastly, one should not be worried about the freshness of food transported in such manner. Dry ice is a wonderfull thing and can keep foods chilled for 12+hours. As mentioned earlier its quite common for airlines to double cater food around the world for return trips, so having food prepared well over 24 hours prior is not as odd as it might seem.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

avconsultant

Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:12 am

The is an LSG SkyChef in BDL. It's down the road from the CT ANG.

LSG Sky Chefs
2 Airport Park Road, East Granby, CT 06026
(860) 844-0310

dutchjet

Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:19 am

Quoting RandyWaldron (Reply 14):

Your idea is ludicrious. Route an aircraft via a congested city, during peak traffic times, expend hundreds of thousands of extra dollars on landing fees, fuel and operating expenses just to pick up some pre-cooked chicken and pasta? Make an extra stop for catering??? You must be joking - or you have absolutely no knowledge of airline operations.

Excuse me.........first, lose the attitude and learn some manners.

Second, in case you did not notice, NW maintains a major hub in Detroit......what would be so ludicrous about running the 757 on a DTW-BDL-AMS route.....did I say fly the airplane empty from DTW to BDL to pick up food? The airplane could simply be cartered in DTW for the longhaul flight, carry a load of pax to BDL and then be ready to go for its transatlantic trip to AMS. Does that sound so stupid?

Third, consider that NW must continue to rotate its 757s in and out of AMS and DTW.......there is a reason that one DTW-AMS flight will operate with a 752, genuis, and its to give NW an opportunity to get the 752s back to DTW for maintainance. Also note that there is a 757 running the second BOS-AMS flight.....the BOS-BDL-AMS route I suggested would be to pair the BDL oeration with the BOS flight......does that sound so stupid?

Maybe I am not as stupid as you think. Enjoy your chicken or pasta.

avconsultant

Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:23 am

Quoting Dutchjet (Reply 8):
I am surprised that NW does not route the aircraft BOS-BDL-AMS or DTW-BDL-AMS to address this issue.

You would not reroute an aircraft because of meals.

Their are plenty of alternatives for meals. LSG would simply outsource the prep piece to a Sodexho, Compass Group or Aramark. Some people are making a bigger issue than it is.

Last I heard, NW will not be using the Customs facilities at BDL. Can customers pre-screen in AMS?

AeroWesty

Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:54 am

A lot of food served in restaurants, especially chain restaurants, is pre-made and frozen--pick up a restaurant industry magazine someday to see the variety. Places like Red Lobster don't have chefs preparing sauces and dipping shrimp in coconut all day--they have things trucked in from central kitchens (I believe the main Olive Garden/Red Lobster kitchen is somewhere in Kentucky).

What everyone is forgetting is that UA used to have a nonstop from BDL to LAX for ages that had full catering in both classes. They managed, presumably without a flight kitchen, so I'm sure NW will be able to as well. The expense of contracting with, supervising quality, health and safety issues, stocking and hiring for a flight kitchen must be incredibly high and not worth it on a one-off basis.
International Homo of Mystery

commavia

Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:03 am

Is the AMS-BDL inbound flight too long to double-cater the aircraft in AMS? And if it isn't too long, does NW's transatlantic 757 configuration have enough galley space to store that many meals? Probably not, but just a thought.

Jano

Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:06 am

Quoting KEno (Reply 3):
Quoting Pacifique75 (Reply 1):
catering was trucked from Vienna, Austria

Nothing strange about that... isn't Vienna is just an hour away by road from Bratislava?

About 45km = 30mi. It's really not that far.
The Widget Air Line :)

AH332

Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:25 am

What seems strange to me is the fact that NW is starting a BDL-AMS route!  Confused This is the first i hear of it. Anyone want to enlighten me on why they started the route. It seems like an oddball.

Cheers,
Imad
Bledi Heya Al Djazaeer! // Next Flights: AB MIA-DUS-ORY, AF ORY-MRS-ALG

Jano

Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:04 am

Quoting AH332 (Reply 22):
What seems strange to me is the fact that NW is starting a BDL-AMS route! Confused This is the first i hear of it. Anyone want to enlighten me on why they started the route. It seems like an oddball.

Would it be strange if KL was flying this route?

NW and KL have a Joint Venture operations on TATL flights. So it really does not matter who operates that route.

NW/KL think there is enough demand to try to put B752 there. Let's see if they are right...
The Widget Air Line :)

HBJZA

Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:24 am

NWBOS, years ago, we carried catering in the belly of the DC10 and in sealed carts in the aft galley for use on the return BOM/DEL-AMS segments.

The Swiss charter airline Edelweiss Air (EDW) only provides swiss food on board its aircrafts. So when you eat on any return flight, on any plane (A320 or A330) the food was prepared in ZRH long before.... Thanks dry ice.....

airbazar

Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:27 am

Quoting Boeing757/767 (Reply 5):
There are plenty of qualified vendors in the BDL area. I'm sure they'll come up with a solution that does not involve a drive that might delay the flight often.

Why would it delay the flight? They can send the truck from BOS to BDL with plenty of time to spare. Like at noon. Somehow I don't think they will be driving the meals to BDL at 4pm for a 6pm departure  Cool It's probably a heck of a lot cheaper to do it this way than to establish a new contract for 1 flight a day.

cgnnrw

Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:40 am

Quoting Dutchjet (Reply 17):

Excuse me.........first, lose the attitude and learn some manners.

Maybe I am not as stupid as you think. Enjoy your chicken or pasta.

Bravo Dutchjet!  praise 
A330 man.

avconsultant

Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:40 am

Anyone want to enlighten me on why they started the route.

AMS is one of BDL top 5 EU destinations. United Technologies (headquartered in the airport area) has worked with the airport in courting EU services for the last severeal years. Now with Legacy airlines following CO lead in operating the 757 across the pond, BDL is the perfect market for this type of operation. Plus AMS is a huge SkyTeam hub.

DL & AA will be doing the same thing, providing Int'l service to second tier markets, very shortly.

AH332

Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:39 am

HI,

Quoting Jano (Reply 23):

NW and KL have a Joint Venture operations on TATL flights. So it really does not matter who operates that route.

NW/KL think there is enough demand to try to put B752 there. Let's see if they are right...

No, that's not what I meant at all. Sorry, if you took it that way. I just thought it was weird having a BDL-AMS route in general.

Quoting AvConsultant (Reply 27):
AMS is one of BDL top 5 EU destinations. United Technologies (headquartered in the airport area) has worked with the airport in courting EU services for the last severeal years. Now with Legacy airlines following CO lead in operating the 757 across the pond, BDL is the perfect market for this type of operation. Plus AMS is a huge SkyTeam hub.

DL & AA will be doing the same thing, providing Int'l service to second tier markets, very shortly.

See, now I get it. This is the info I never knew about. Interesting I must admit. Never knew carriers could support flights from second tier markets to Europe and abroad. Well, I guess I was way off. Thanks for the clarification!  Smile

Cheers,
Imad
Bledi Heya Al Djazaeer! // Next Flights: AB MIA-DUS-ORY, AF ORY-MRS-ALG

PVD757

Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:57 am

Quoting AvConsultant (Reply 27):
DL & AA will be doing the same thing, providing Int'l service to second tier markets, very shortly

on which side of the pond?? I have to assume it will be from ATL, JFK & BOS to more EU 'secondary' markets. I'd like to see more US secondary markets, like BDL get service to the big EU markets...

walter747

Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:24 am

I'm sure PVD has a Kitchen with the Sata Flight in the summer. It's a lot closer than BOS.
Hussel, Hussel, Husel, Grind, Grind, Grind

EWRCabincrew

Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:20 am

Quoting AvConsultant (Reply 18):

Stranger things have happened. We route a 757 EWR-CLE (along with the duty free cart on that flight) for our CLE-LGW flying. The return also goes back through EWR.
You can't cure stupid

B747-437B

Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:23 am

Quoting AvConsultant (Reply 18):

You'd be quite surprised how many carriers make fleet rotation and even route planning decisions with heavy consideration to factors as seemingly mundane as catering.
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

Indy

Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:31 am

Anyone want to enlighten me on why they started the route. It seems like an oddball.

Apparently there is the demand so why not do it? It is more profitable to fly your passengers nonstop than to reroute them for an unnecessary connection. Plus it is a huge PR win.

Now on the issue of catering. When hoping we'd get the service here in IND I never considered the ability to prepare meals here. I know NW offers meals for F class passengers on the west coast flights but who knows what that means. Hmmm. Makes me want to email Gate Gourmet here to ask what kind of facilities they have.
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air

BDL2DCA

Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:34 am

Quoting Walter747 (Reply 30):
I'm sure PVD has a Kitchen with the Sata Flight in the summer. It's a lot closer than BOS.

Maybe if you drew a straight line, PVD would be closer to BDL than BOS, but there is no freeway between the two airports. It would take almost 2 hours over hill & dale to get from BDL to PVD. Whereas, someone with a heavy foot could get from BOS to BDL in just over 90 minutes.

NWA has TATL business class catering in BOS and JFK - and BOS is definitely closer.
146,319,320,321,333,343,722,732,733,734,735,73G,738,744,752,762,763,772,ARJ,BE1,CRJ,D9S,D10,DH8,ERJ,E70,F100,S80

MCOflyer

Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:53 am

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 31):
Stranger things have happened.

Agreed. It wouldn't kill NW to have meals done and trucked via another city.

MCOflyer
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

zrs70

Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:18 am

The other thing I still don't understand is VIP club useage in BDL. Will US open its doors to the NW customers?
17 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2016

MarkC

Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:47 am

Boston's really not that far. Much more of a pain to get to the NYC airports on certain days and times.

As for the route, this is sweet. I live in CT. You know what a pain it is to go from BDL to a european city that does not have direct US service? You either have to drive to NYC, or take a flight backwards to the NYC area, IAD, DTW, or cincinati. Then you fly to a europe hub, and have to take another connecting flight.

Next month, I am going BDL - DTW - AMS - small european city. It would be sweet to fly in one hop over the ocean, and only take one small flight. Looking forward to it.

FXMD11

Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:58 am

Quoting Jano (Reply 23):

Well, as far as I remember this was the initial idea. 2005 KL was considered first for this
sector and it was later even published onCNN for a couple of days. LH considered BDL
as well for a very short time. That was around June 2005.

FI642

Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:01 am

British Airways trucks catering from IAD all the way to BWI each day.
They seem to have a deal with Gate Gourmet. That has to be either
quite expensive for BA, or a loss maker for Gate Gourmet.
737MAX, Cool Planes for the Worlds Coolest Airline.

peteg913

Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:12 am

Quoting Zrs70 (Reply 36):
The other thing I still don't understand is VIP club useage in BDL. Will US open its doors to the NW customers?

There's no US Airways Club at BDL.

A330323X

Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:18 am

Quoting Zrs70 (Reply 36):

That's generally what airlines do in these sorts of situations. They provide their premium-class customers with passes to get into another airline's lounge, and pay the other airline for the priviledge.

Quoting Peteg913 (Reply 40):
There's no US Airways Club at BDL.

You might want to tell them that.  Yeah sure
I'm the expert on here on two things, neither of which I care about much anymore.

BDL2DCA

Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:54 am

Quoting A330323X (Reply 41):

That's generally what airlines do in these sorts of situations. They provide their premium-class customers with passes to get into another airline's lounge, and pay the other airline for the priviledge.

Unfortunately, until the security checkpoint is consolodated, I don't know how well that would work. US is in the center pier (20-30) and NW is in the east pier (1-12). They are supposed to be connected airside (and were for a while) but the current state of the renovations is that they are not.
146,319,320,321,333,343,722,732,733,734,735,73G,738,744,752,762,763,772,ARJ,BE1,CRJ,D9S,D10,DH8,ERJ,E70,F100,S80

RL757PVD

Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:14 pm

Quoting FXMD11 (Reply 38):
2005 KL was considered first for this
sector and it was later even published onCNN for a couple of days. LH considered BDL
as well for a very short time. That was around June 2005.

i think that was more on the BDL side than the LH side.

i believe the BDL was closest w/ a foreign flag carrier in the early 90's
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

FXMD11

Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:48 pm

Quoting RL757PVD (Reply 43):
i believe the BDL was closest w/ a foreign flag carrier in the early 90's

Wasnt there a weekly CV Charter for some time in BDL? I remember Panalpina carried a large piece of
the IBM Biz for quite some time.

RandyWaldron

Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:01 pm

Does that sound so stupid?

No, it does not sound stupid. Logistically, it does not make any sense.

to give NW an opportunity to get the 752s back to DTW for maintainance.

Again, logistically, considering that BOS is a 757 maintenance base and AMS will be shortly, there's no need for this supposed rotation you've conceived of in your mind. There's already a proposed rotation for those 56xx aircrafts.....and it's completely different from the one you propose here. Why? Operating Costs - PERIOD.

Also note that there is a 757 running the second BOS-AMS flight

Do you think I'm stupid? Thanks for the info - you're about six months too late.

Dutchjet, while I believe that you have some vaild points and I appreciate your responses, you do not have all of the facts. Quite simply put, there's catering in BDL. No need to re-route the aircraft, no need to expend extra money, no reason to create extra flights for the sole purpose of providing pre-cooked meals for passengers.

The next time you want to talk about airline logistics, I encourage you to e-mail me and I'll show you around the barn. You'll be amazed at what a one-minute delay costs an airline, nevertheless a reroute for catering or adding flights to provide amentities (not a service) to passengers. As I've heard said in Schipol thousands upon thousands of times, what you're proposing is: "Not Possible!"

Cheers!

RW
"Flaps 20, gear down, landing checklist please..."

pwm2txlhopper

Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:11 pm

What seems strange to me is the fact that NW is starting a BDL-AMS route! This is the first i hear of it. Anyone want to enlighten me on why they started the route. It seems like an oddball.

Cheers,

The Greater Hartford area has a population base of just under 1,200,000 people, and Hartford itself is sometimes referred to as the "insurance capital of the world." Many of the world's insurance companies have their headquarters located there.

I'd imagine the insurance industry in Hartford plays a large part in the demand for a non-stop flight to a European hub where connections can be made throughout Europe, Asia and Africa. With the alliance with KLM, BDL-AMS with NW on the 757 makes sense. It's a long thin route that doesn't warrant a wide-body aircraft, and with the smaller 757, this route just might work for NW.

Also, I'd imagine there are quite a few passengers on any given day, who commute from Hartford to access NW/KL flights to AMS out of JFK, EWR, and BOS. I'm sure this flight will siphon some of these passengers back to BDL.

LH423

Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:52 pm

Quoting Walter747 (Reply 30):

BOS is definitely closer time-wise because it's all freeway. The back roads through CT are not very straight and generally have speed limits less than 55 mph. And also the airport is north of Hartford so you actually have to get through Hartford from Rte 6 whereas coming in on I-84 you can skirt around downtown via I-291 (though Google maps actually gives I-90 to I-291 (Springfield, MA) to I-91 south given the distance between downtown Hartford and Windsor Locks (where BDL is actually located, about 15 mi north of the city centre).

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

aloha73g

Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:18 pm

Hawaiian drives their food to SMF and SJC from SFO....isn't too ridiculous if you ask me.

-Aloha!
Aloha Airlines - The Spirit Moves Us. Gone but NEVER Forgotten. Aloha, A Hui Hou!

afitch7881

Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:49 pm

First of all there is a US Airways club at BDL, do I little research before you type. http://www.usairways.com/awa/content...raveltools/club/locations.aspx#bdl

Second, there is catering at BDL. How do you think the airlines cater the food for sale? US Airways does it to PHX, and Northwest does it to MSP. I am sure there are others.

Delta flys to LAX, does first class go without food? US flys to Phoenix, does first go without food? How about AA to DFW, CO to IAH, and AA to MIA and SJU? AA must not serve food on their A300's to SJU I guess. How about the various international charters BDL has during the winter? These most serve peanuts as well.

Third, why in the world would NW not use a brand new international arrivals building at BDL? It can process 400 people per hour and has 1 bridge with the ability to expand to another. BDL has 24 hour custom agents on airport, I guess they will just sit around and read the paper when the NW flight lands.

Hartford/New Haven/Springfield has almost 3 million people and there is over 6 million within 2 hours of BDL. This most not be enough people to fill one flight to Europe? There is over 130 people daily flying out of BDL to Europe making connections in hubs. You only need a few of those people to turn over to NW and 1/4 the plane is already full.

Go to NWA.com and notice NW is actually routing passenger through BDL from cities like IND, CMH, FLL, PBI, ect.... This won't be much but it is something.

Hartford is the insurance capital of the world and has a large financial presence. ING has large operations in greater Hartford which is AMS company.

United Technologies is based in Hartford, GE is in Fairfield not far away, Stanley tools is out of New Britain, there are around 20 Fortune 500 companies in the Greater Hartford/New Haven area. Business travel will make this flight work.

[Edited 2007-04-10 09:51:01]

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos