amirs

What Are The Chances To Find Lost Baggage With IB

Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:54 am

My cousin flew from San Paolo to TLV via MAD last month and one of his suitcases never arrived. He knows it never made the connection flight.
Apparently IB has no info on the luggage. Its weird that they have no tracking mechanism.

Is there any chance to find the bag? Should he go and look for it in Madrid? He had in it cufflinks he got from our grandfather.

Do they have one place where recieve all the bags in Madrid?
Does anyone have info?

HBDAN

RE: What Are The Chances To Find Lost Baggage With IB

Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:45 am

Once Easyjet lost the luggage of a friend in MAD... They needed 3 weeks in order to find it... very poor service if you ask me! Your cusin better go for shopping tomorrow!  Silly

Regards,
HBDAN
Next flight: hopefully soon...

bullpitt

Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:00 am

IB has the same traking mechanism as all the other companies. Sometime luggage is never found, in my case BA lost mine and I never saw it again.
These are my principles but if you don't like them I have others

Viscount724

Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:33 pm

Quoting Bullpitt (Reply 2):
Sometime luggage is never found, in my case BA lost mine and I never saw it again.

It may have been stolen. Baggage thefts by airport handling staff aren't unheard of. Only a small percentage of missing bags are never found. Sometimes they find bags with no identification inside or out (or it got torn off along with the baggage tag with passenger info/bar code etc). I think they also enter descriptions of those bags in the tracking systems and if lucky it might be matched up with the entry for a bag reported missing. That's why you should always include your name and contact info, including at the destination on that trip (with the dates you're going to be there) inside any checked bags, in case the tags on the outside (or the handle itself) gets torn off.

If it never shows up, after a certain period IB should compensate you per their baggage liability rules (up to certain maximum limits and with various exceptions) as specified in their conditions of carriage. Any other compensation would depend on personal insurance you may have that covers such things. Many premium credit cards (Gold cards etc.) also include insurance coverage for lost/delayed baggage up to certain limits.