rootsair

Would Some Airline Have Died W/o An Alliance?

Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:04 pm

Hi folks

I would like to know your opinion. Do you thinkl that if it wasn't for Skyteam, *A or Oneworld, some of the member airlines would not be around anymore?

For example Swiss was bouth by LH because alone it was hard to face the marker and were money losers...but now Swiss is doing just well!

Share your thoughts
Regards
BM
 airplane   wave 
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

jasond

RE: Would Some Airline Have Died W/o An Alliance?

Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:23 pm

My gut feeling is that yes, some airlines may have been worse off by not being in an alliance. This is based simply on the fact that an alliance by definition allows one party to benefit from the resources of another. In its simplest terms in the airline industry it allows one airline to leverage the route network of another whereby you can derive an economic benefit by selling an airfare for a sector that can be joined to another. I can't quote figures and neither can I say a particular airline would have gone under by not being in an alliance (no-one can) but I am sure on a case by case basis that a medium sized operator would be better off in an alliance.

abrelosojos

RE: Would Some Airline Have Died W/o An Alliance?

Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:34 pm

Quoting RootsAir (Thread starter):
Hi folks

I would like to know your opinion. Do you thinkl that if it wasn't for Skyteam, *A or Oneworld, some of the member airlines would not be around anymore?

For example Swiss was bouth by LH because alone it was hard to face the marker and were money losers...but now Swiss is doing just well!

Share your thoughts
Regards
BM

= This is a super interesting question. What do people think of BMI? Do you think they would be reduced to a low-cost airline without the feeder traffic it might generate to some Star partners?

-A.
Live, and let live.