EWRCabincrew
Topic Author

Nude Woman Thrown Off Plane In Alaska

Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:17 pm

Nude Woman Thrown Off Plane in Alaska

On April 6, a Continental flight bound from Newark to Japan, made an unscheduled stop in Anchorage, Alaska to have a nude woman removed.

A woman seated in the BusinessFirst cabin began to take her clothes off because she had urinated in her seat and her clothes were drenched in urine. The woman was lying down in the aisle completely nude. She also lost her teeth, which were later found one row behind her urinated seat. Her upper set was found lodged between seat cushions.

The cockpit crew had been in communication with MedLink and was trying to determine if she was on any medication, intoxicated or just plain nuts. When the nude woman approached the cockpit, a decision was made to land the plane to have her removed.

The cabin crew tried to cover up the nude woman without any teeth with blankets. One of the flight attendants gave her pajamas so the woman wouldn’t have to wear her soiled clothes.when she went to jail…or go wrapped in blankets (which are company property).

None of the crew members had an extra set of false teeth packed, so the woman had to do without it.

The plane landed in Anchorage, the flipped out woman (now wearing pajamas) was removed, and the flight continued to Narita..

The passengers were very pissed off also.
You can't cure stupid

deltadc9

RE: Nude Woman Thrown Off Plane In Alaska

Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:21 pm

Yikes, I thought this would be a little more fun than that, like when a French woman took off all her clothes at EVV when they had a problem finding what the metal detector was hitting on. She got mad and stripped yelling at the poor guy. BTW she was pretty hot looking.

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Thread starter):
The passengers were very pissed off also

No pun intended I am sure Big grin
Dont take life too seriously because you will never get out of it alive - Bugs Bunny

NYC777

Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:22 pm

LOL, you just can't make this stuff up!!! LOL!!
That which does not kill me makes me stronger.

etops1

Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:25 pm

i thought that i have seen it all. lol

thegooddoctor

Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:26 pm

Quoting DeltaDC9 (Reply 1):
BTW she was pretty hot looking.

This woman was probably much older - judging by the fact that she had false teeth and was incontinent... Maybe a really bad case of Sundowning? I've seen older people display this kind of behavior in the hospital - usually a combination of dimentia with being in an unfamiliar place.
The GoodDoctor

mtyfreak

Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:29 pm

Maybe it is time for airlines to carry a few Adult dipers!!

you know, just in case. lol!!!!
Only here for the beer...

luv2fly

Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:35 pm

Now I was under the impression that this kind of behavior only happened on the LCC's! How did this slip past quality control and allowed to happen on what is the last full service carrier in the USA! I hang my head in shame.
You can cut the irony with a knife

Superfly

Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:40 pm

Is there a link to this story?
This does sound like it was a very old lady. Nothing anyone would want to see naked.
Why was she arrested?
Bring back the Concorde

EWRCabincrew
Topic Author

Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:43 pm

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 6):
How did this slip past quality control and allowed to happen on what is the last full service carrier in the USA! I hang my head in shame.

Too bad airlines don't do psych tests before ticket purchase, check-in or boarding.
You can't cure stupid

VgnAtl747

Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:47 pm

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 8):
Too bad airlines don't do psych tests before ticket purchase, check-in or boarding.

Not to mention that you'd think a good carrier like CO would notice something askew in the J cabin before the woman managed to get all of her clothes off...
Work Hard. Fly Right. Continental Airlines

OA260

Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:47 pm

LOL, I wonder how many Anutters would be denied boarding!!!

khobar

Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:09 am

I hope there was a correctable reason for her doing this - hopefully she was just drunk. If she is suffering from an illness - old age is nothing to laugh about especially for those not lucky enough to get there with some dignity, let alone keep it. Hopefully the passengers being pissed is an indication that the situation was not entirely beyond her control - I'd hate to think they'd get pissed if someone were having a heart attack or something.

Superfly

Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:18 am

Quoting Khobar (Reply 11):
I hope there was a correctable reason for her doing this - hopefully she was just drunk. If she is suffering from an illness - old age is nothing to laugh about especially for those not lucky enough to get there with some dignity, let alone keep it. Hopefully the passengers being pissed is an indication that the situation was not entirely beyond her control - I'd hate to think they'd get pissed if someone were having a heart attack or something.

I have to agree.
It doesn't sound like this lady was drunk. This does sound like she was having some sort of mental breakdown.
As far as other passengers being 'pissed', they can be some cry babies at times. Some act as if now one else is as important as themselves, even when someone's health is at risk.
Bring back the Concorde

EWRCabincrew
Topic Author

Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:18 am

I'd hate to think they'd get pissed if someone were having a heart attack or something.

As sad as it is, people get really pissed off when there is a medical and a diversion creates havoc to their day. If they get too vocal (because it interferes in their plans later on (read: it's all about me, who cares about the person in dire need)), I tend to get vocal back.
You can't cure stupid

TSS

Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:31 am

That would severely cut into their revenue!

Quoting OA260 (Reply 10):

That would depend on the airline and aircraft type.  Wink
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

aa61hvy

Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:52 am

Lost her teeth? With that comment I'm guessing she is not hot.
Go big or go home

gregarious119

Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:00 am

The passengers were very pissed off also.

No pun intended, right?

At least they weren't pissed on....  Smile

airfoilsguy

Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:06 am

How old was this woman?

[Edited 2007-04-10 18:14:14]
It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

JOYA380B747

Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:15 am

I do feel sorry for d lady, considering she was aged.

Airliners on long destinations must do the needful to deal with situations like this. Without having to make the passenger leave the plane.
If it wasn't for AI and those money mongers sitting in the parliament, 9W would have been as big as SQ...:(

Norcal773

Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:20 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 10):

Udo would be one of them... Considering he's been off of a.net for a while.  biggrin 
If you're going through hell, keep going

JAFA

Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:30 am

Is this a real news story, a employee story, or a doctored up news story?

I don't know of any mainstream journalists who write like that. I thought it was funny.

"The passengers were pretty pissed off too" is classic.

BMIFlyer

Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:55 am

Crazy!  eek 

Quoting Jafa (Reply 20):
a employee story

Crew, I believe  Wink

Lee
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

airfoilsguy

Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:09 am

Quoting Jafa (Reply 20):
"The passengers were pretty pissed off too" is classic.

Where did you see that? I didn't see a link to the story.  Confused

707lvr

Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:11 am

EWRCabincrew, I was starting to get pretty "pissed" myself until I read your reply. Thanks for that.

ANCFlyer

Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:12 am

Quoting Jafa (Reply 20):
Is this a real news story, a employee story, or a doctored up news story?

Absolutely true.

In fact, one of the Airport Police Officers that handled the issue is a friend of mine.  rotfl 

As soon as the radio request came in for assistance ("Distraught Naked Female on Flight XYZ") my friend, who had just gotten off shift . . . called back on his radio . . . "I'm 10-19, I'm 10-19".  rotfl 
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

zvezda

Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:26 am

If I were a passenger, I'd be pissed off too, not at the passenger (who appears not to have been able to help it) but at the airline for making an unscheduled stop without, as far as can be discerned from the information above, a good reason. There appears not to have been either a life-threatening medical situation or a life-threatening security situation. Neither dementia nor incontinence are justifiable reasons for an unscheduled stop.

777jaah

Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:32 am

None of the crew members had an extra set of false teeth packed, so the woman had to do without it

What?? Airlines MUST have extra teeth in their emergency equipment before anything worse happens...... wink 

Although, some FAs seem they always forget their teeth at home, seems they never smile or speak to hide their gums....

JAAH
Next flights: AV BOG-ADZ-BOG, AV-UA BOG-IAD-ORD-IAD-BOG, BOG-FLL-BOG, LA BOG-MIA-BOG J

ANCFlyer

Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:34 am

Quoting Zvezda (Reply 25):
There appears not to have been either a life-threatening medical situation or a life-threatening security situation. Neither dementia nor incontinence are justifiable reasons for an unscheduled stop.

Opinion.

Better to have stopped in ANC and let this woman get help than get out over the North Pacific and find something besides a slight aging, dementia and urinary malfunction.

Good Call NW.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

Superfly

Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:44 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 27):
Better to have stopped in ANC and let this woman get help than get out over the North Pacific and find something besides a slight aging, dementia and urinary malfunction.

checkmark 
...and if for no other reason, this is a 70-something year old lady without teeth running around the plane pissing uncontrollably!  vomit 
Land the plane ASAP!

Ok, I have a dumb question.
What happens to the seat she urinated in?
Is it treated like spilled juice or do they have to remove it?
This is bodily waste.
Bring back the Concorde

romeokc10fe

Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:08 am

The passengers were very pissed off also

I love it!!!  Big grin

onewickedboi

Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:08 am

There appears not to have been either a life-threatening medical situation or a life-threatening security situation.

Well, the passenger "approached" the cockpit, according to the original poster. That alone, in this day and age, may have been enough to prompt the diversion for security reasons. As ANCFlyer suggests, you never know what something like that may turn into.

R E G A R D S
"instant gratification takes too long . . . "

airfoilsguy

Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:18 am

Neither dementia nor incontinence are justifiable reasons for an unscheduled stop.

What would you tell her family's lawyer if later on in the flight she stroked out over the Pacific? "Well she was acting odd but we are to cheep to take precautions and didn't land."
It is better to be overly cautious and have nothing happen then to be not cautious enough and have a body at the destination and lawyers and media up your arse for the next month.

zvezda

Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:27 am

Quoting Onewickedboi (Reply 30):
As ANCFlyer suggests, you never know what something like that may turn into.

By that logic, one should divert everytime someone coughs or gets up to use the lavatory near the cockpit. There may have been a justifiable reason to divert but, if there was, it hasn't been mentioned yet in the thread. Dementia and incontinence don't even come close.

If the captain thought that a geriatric naked woman was about to highjack the flight, then a diversion to offload the captain would have been justified.

ANCFlyer

Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:31 am

Quoting Zvezda (Reply 32):
By that logic, one should divert everytime someone coughs or gets up to use the lavatory near the cockpit

sarcastic 

Sheeeesh?!

You really are GRASPING at straws aren't you. . . .

There may have been a justifiable reason to divert but, if there was, it hasn't been mentioned yet in the thread.

You should go re-read the thread perhaps . . .

'Nuf Said.

Ken777

Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:32 am

When I read the thread headline I guessed that there would be no pictures. When I read about the false teeth I was relieved there wasn't!

As for the bladder control side, I would bet that the old gal had a drink or two and it impacted her far more than it would have at sea level. After having both surgery and radiation for prostate cancer I have a policy of NEVER drinking alcohol on a flight and hold it to one glass of wine when not flying.

767Lover

Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:34 am

Neither dementia nor incontinence are justifiable reasons for an unscheduled stop.

Dementia and incontinence don't even come close.

It is obvious you have not dealt with dementia personally. I have. My mother (God bless her) is in the late stages of dementia related to Alzheimer's.

People with dementia are often extremely violent. My mother may look like a frail senior citizen but she is capable of doing real bodily harm to others. I have the bruises to prove it. If she had access to something sharp or heavy she could do real damage. Not to mention the fact that she could do harm to herself as well.

Absolutely correct to have this individual taken off a plane.

Go3Team

Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:34 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 24):
As soon as the radio request came in for assistance ("Distraught Naked Female on Flight XYZ") my friend, who had just gotten off shift . . . called back on his radio . . . "I'm 10-19, I'm 10-19".

Hmmm, did he report her 10-96?
Yay Pudding!

halls120

Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:43 am

If I were a passenger, I'd be pissed off too, not at the passenger (who appears not to have been able to help it) but at the airline for making an unscheduled stop without, as far as can be discerned from the information above, a good reason. There appears not to have been either a life-threatening medical situation or a life-threatening security situation. Neither dementia nor incontinence are justifiable reasons for an unscheduled stop.

I don't know about you, but if someone sitting near me pissed through her clothes, took them off, and started wandering around the plane naked, I'd want her removed. Even if she was young and had a hot body.  biggrin 

Quoting Airfoilsguy (Reply 31):

What would you tell her family's lawyer if later on in the flight she stroked out over the Pacific? "Well she was acting odd but we are to cheep to take precautions and didn't land."
It is better to be overly cautious and have nothing happen then to be not cautious enough and have a body at the destination and lawyers and media up your arse for the next month.

checkmark 
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

Devilfish

Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:44 am

Nude Woman Thrown Off Plane in Alaska

This beats the tabloids at attention grabbing!

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 6):
Now I was under the impression that this kind of behavior only happened on the LCC's! How did this slip past quality control and allowed to happen on what is the last full service carrier in the USA!

The airline couldn't very well deny passage (especially if she's flying BusinessFirst) to someone who was clearly in need of special attention, although those who let the lady travel while likely knowing such incident might happen should've had her accompanied. They were probably anxious that the airline would require a companion if apprised of the situation.

If she is suffering from an illness - old age is nothing to laugh about especially for those not lucky enough to get there with some dignity, let alone keep it. Hopefully the passengers being pissed is an indication that the situation was not entirely beyond her control

checkmark 

Quoting 777jaah (Reply 26):
Airlines MUST have extra teeth in their emergency equipment before anything worse happens...... wink

They will have to put off implementing that pending advent of "one size - fits all."  Wink
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield

AEROFAN

Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:47 am

psych test?! hold on a minute now - we should have an iq test done before proceeding to the psych test. boy, talking about a drop in revenue that would occur....

KELPkid

Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:02 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 28):
Ok, I have a dumb question.
What happens to the seat she urinated in?
Is it treated like spilled juice or do they have to remove it?
This is bodily waste.

I'm sure Continental would sell it to you at a substantial discount...  Wink
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

RoyalAtlantis

Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:04 am

WOW -

quick questions:

1) how much would it cost to divert a 777 in this case?
2) does the woman get charged by the airline or is this something they would leave alone for pure publicity sake - "poor old lady (not too poor, she was in C/J) loses bladder function and her mind?"

Never a dull moment at FL350 eh?

*** burr, it's cold in ANC this time of year!!

and P.S. would not have wanted to sit in that seat on the return NRT-EWR run !!!! "excuse me miss, my seat smells like piss!"

Go3Team

Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:20 am

Quoting RoyalAtlantis (Reply 41):

and P.S. would not have wanted to sit in that seat on the return NRT-EWR run !!!! "excuse me miss, my seat smells like piss!"

Nothing a little Febreze can't handle.
Yay Pudding!

flybyguy

Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:26 am

Yet another story of overreaction by an overzealous crew. The woman was obviously senile... helping her rather than dumping her would have been the best thing to do. I expected much much more from Continental, the last real airline in the U.S.

Certainly, this is one of the reasons why I don't support pilots having guns... they'd be driven by panic rather than common sense in using them.
"Are you a pretender... or a thoroughbred?!" - Professor Matt Miller

desertjets

Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:27 am

Quoting Go3Team (Reply 42):
Nothing a little Febreze can't handle.

So the seat now smells like Febreeze and piss....  vomit 

Diverting was the right choice. If I was a passenger on that flight I would not want to continue another 6 hours in the air with someone who is clearly mentally unstable and in the midst of a manic moment. While it may not be an obvious medical emergency like a stroke or a heart attack, it is pretty clear in my mind that this woman needed immediate attention. I hope she is doing better and enjoying some R&R in Anchorage.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

scf158

Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:29 am

Maybe some kind of skill testing question would suffice?  Wink

Go3Team

Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:37 am

Quoting DesertJets (Reply 44):
So the seat now smells like Febreeze and piss....

Well, they get the smell of vomit and fecal matter out of seats, I imagine the yellow stuff shouldn't be a problem.
Yay Pudding!

onewickedboi

Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:40 am

By that logic, one should divert everytime someone coughs or gets up to use the lavatory near the cockpit.

By no means am I suggesting this. IN THIS CASE, we had a flight using a Continental B772ER. http://flightaware.com/live/flight/C...9/history/20070406/1527Z/KEWR/PANC

On this type, THERE IS NO LAVATORY near the flightdeck. http://www.continental.com/web/en-US.../travel/inflight/aircraft/777.aspx

So there really wasn't any reason for this, or any other passenger to "approach" the flightdeck, mid-flight. And nobody said anything about coughing.

Clearly there was a situation on this flight; it was escalated when the passenger approached the door. The situation was dealt with. Period.

R E G A R D S

[Edited 2007-04-10 21:44:46]
"instant gratification takes too long . . . "

Go3Team

Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:49 am

Quoting Onewickedboi (Reply 47):
On this type, THERE IS NO LAVATORY near the flightdeck.

I'm sure there is a lav up front, but for the crew only.
Yay Pudding!

ltbewr

Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:39 am

CO did the right thing in this situation. Her behavior was totally unacceptable on an aircraft. From her behavior to the point of the decision to divert, it was clear that she as well as the others on the flight could be at risk. Let us hope that this woman gets the appropriate medical help and psychological counseling, then to home in a secure way. Imanage the shame she and her family/friends have had with this incident.