md90fan

Caribbean/Caribe/Caraïbes Aviation Part 13

Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:01 pm

Greetings members and guests  old 

After 1822 posts, the Caribbean/Caribe/Caraïbes Aviation is on our 13th Chapter

For new members and returning members alike, here are our previous threads
Caribbean/Caribe/Caraïbes Aviation Part 12 (by MD90fan Mar 22 2007 in Civil Aviation) Caribbean/Caribe/Caraïbes Aviation Part 11 (by MD90fan Mar 5 2007 in Civil Aviation) Caribbean/Caribe/Caraïbes Aviation Part X (by MD90fan Feb 22 2007 in Civil Aviation) Caribbean/Caribe/Caraïbes Aviation Part 9 (by MD90fan Feb 14 2007 in Civil Aviation) Caribbean/Caribe/Caraïbes Aviation Part 8 (by MD90fan Feb 5 2007 in Civil Aviation) Caribbean/Caribe/ Caraïbes Aviation Part 7 (by MD90fan Jan 27 2007 in Civil Aviation) Caribbean Aviation Part 5 (by BWIA 772 Dec 18 2006 in Civil Aviation) Caribbean Aviation, Part 4... (by MD90fan Nov 30 2006 in Civil Aviation) Caribbean Aviation, Part 3.... (by A388 Nov 17 2006 in Civil Aviation) Caribbean Aviation News Part Deux... (by Captaink Oct 31 2006 in Civil Aviation) Any Caribbean Aviation News? (by MD90fan Oct 16 2006 in Civil Aviation) Bwia To Be Closed (by BWIA 772 Sep 3 2006 in Civil Aviation)

News from the Caribbean....(not much gern on)

* MD90fan just got back from CUN
* JM renegotiating prices on Airbus fleet?
* New Dominican carrier starting up with MD-80s?

http://i5.tinypic.com/2na36gz.gif

Cheers,
Devan

P.S: Trip Report Coming Soon.

http://i17.tinypic.com/42nwm6t.gif

cool 
http://www.devanwells.blogspot.com/

2travel2know

RE: Caribbean/Caribe/Caraïbes Aviation Part 13

Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:14 pm

Didn't know JM keep their relation with Airbus.
As for an A340 replacement, best would be an A330. More economical than an A340 and carry more excess baggage than a B757.
I don't work for COPA Airlines!

AUA747

Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:29 pm

Hi everyone,

I just read it on www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl (unfortunately its in dutch) that American Eagle wants to start service from SDQ to AUA and CUR. These routes could be successful, however American Eagle need to adapt the local culture if it wants these routes to be successful. In the past American Eagle operated AUA-BON, after ALM and Air Aruba filed for bankruptcy, however it failed mainly because the locals had trouble with the crew almost every week because of the rudeness of the crew. I am very curious about this development.

AUA747

caribbean484

Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:13 pm

Thanks MD90 once again for this forum.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/magaz...TEE____BILLION_NEEDED_BY_AIR_J.asp

Loooks like the gov't is going to borrow some more for JM to keep flying.
All ah we is one family

md90fan

Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:39 pm

Quoting 2travel2know (Reply 1):
As for an A340 replacement, best would be an A330. More economical than an A340 and carry more excess baggage than a B757.

Yes, the A330 also offers more flexibility with regards to routes

Quoting AUA747 (Reply 2):
I just read it on www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl (unfortunately its in dutch) that American Eagle wants to start service from SDQ to AUA and CUR. These routes could be successful, however American Eagle need to adapt
the local culture if it wants these routes to be successful. In the past American Eagle operated AUA-BON, after ALM and Air Aruba filed for bankruptcy, however it failed mainly because the locals had trouble with the crew almost every week because of the rudeness of the crew. I am very curious about this development.

Hello AUA747,

AA has operated SDQ-SXM in the past using AE ATR-72 equipment

With regards to the SDQ service I think this is one of the plans for AA to operate a hub of sorts in SDQ. Below is provided an excerpt from a Dominican source.

Quote:

dr1 Daily News

DR to become a AA hub?

American Airlines is planning to use DR as an international hub. This conversion, which will begin next June, is part of an AA expansion in the country. Eduardo del Pozo, director for AA in the DR, announced that AA has requested permission from the Civil Aviation Department for two flights from Santo Domingo to Port-au-Prince, one flight from Santo Domingo to Curacao, and one flight from Santo Domingo to Caracas. AA transported more than one million passengers in 7,000 flights between the DR and USA last year. This is the second year in a row that AA reaches hits the million passengers transported on Dominican routes. Cargo traffic on AA flights has also increased. In 2005 50.2 million pounds were shipped, increasing to 57.9 million in 2006. AA manages an average of 30 flights a day from the DR and has been in service in the country for 32 years. Del Pozo was critical, nevertheless, of the US$70 tax per fare, saying that it makes the DR more expensive than Jamaica and Mexico, affecting its competitiveness.

Quoting Caribbean484 (Reply 3):
Thanks MD90 once again for this forum.

No problem comrade  bouncy 

westindian425

Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:49 am

Took a while, but I found this thread.  Smile

Didn't know JM keep their relation with Airbus.

JM should be ETOPS certified, right? I remember them using the A310s on the LHR routes many years ago. If that's the case, then the A330s could be a good fit.
God did not create aircraft pilots to be on the ground

2travel2know

Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:35 am

About that AA SDQ expansion, Those flights from SDQ to points not in the U.S. or Puerto Rico will be tag-on fifth right of the flights coming from there even with equipment change?

AUA747

Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:14 am

Hey MD90fan,

I think AE still has one daily flight from SDQ-SXM a side of the three daily SJU-SXM. On the route SDQ-AUA Carib Air is the only one serving it. We had VH who did operated it for a while but discontinued this. CUR still has VH service to SDQ few times a week.

Insel Air was planning to start service to SDQ, I don't know if they started this already.

CO777DAL

Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:40 am

I’ve been doing a lot of flying between USA and POS on Continental. On one of my earlier flights this year, the schedule flying time from POS-IAH was 6 hours 15 minutes. From take off at POS to landing in at IAH it actually took us a little over 6 and ½ hours. Close to pushing to pushing 6 hours 45 minutes.

We took off out of POS heading east. We flew past Trinidad east coast and then (to my surprise) headed southeast (towards Africa). We flew southeast east for about 7 minutes. (After 5 minutes, I was thinking to myself we better turn soon if we plan on going to the IAH.) We finally turned heading south and then turning to the southwest to northwest. After about another 5 minutes we hit the east shore of Trinidad again. We flew over the very south tip of the island because I cause see all the oil tanks and trains out into the Ocean on the southwest of Trinidad. Then we flew over Venezuela and continued to head northwest to Houston.

I fly this route a lot and this flight did not seem to follow CO typical route flow to IAH. It seemed that we went a lot further south and west than the normal route.

Does anyone know how long a 737-800 fly can? I know flights to and from POS carry a lot of luggage (weight). And right before landing I was thinking CO must be pushing the aircraft limits after flying for close to 6 hours and 45 minutes. How close were we to empty?

Going to from IAH to POS flight time was 5 and ½ hours. Going back to from POS to IAH Continental schedules an additional 45 minutes of flight time. I notice this seems to be used only in the winter and in the summer flight times seem shorter. Does anyone know if there is a strong headwind at those latitudes?

I have yet to figure out why CO would of flow so far southeast of Trinidad.

When I first started to fly this route from IAH-POS, CO used to list the service on my ticket as First Class, but on the last few flights starting this year, I noticed it has changed to First/BusinessFirst. I know they do not have BusinessFirst seats in the 737-800, but the service is. I get choice of meals and had a five course meal. On my last flight we had, warm cashews, followed by Salmon with Caviar, then a salad with pecans and a mini baguette, followed by main dish which was a steak fillet with shrimp, and finished with an ice cream sundae with all the toppings.

The flights I am on always seem to be full. Does anyone think CO might upgrade this route to a 757-200 as they get more 737s?

On a different subject, I at least go to Tobago every time I in Trinidad for a little R&R. I notice that Caribbean people do not like to sit in the exit rows. Every time I get in line to check in on Tobago Express. I hear agents at the ticket counter trying to get everyone in front of me to take an exit row seat, but it seem like no one wants it. I always have ended up getting a seat in the exit row. I know here in the USA exit row seats go for a premium (at least on CO). Why is it people in Trinidad and Tobago seems to avoid the exit row seats on Tobago Express?
Worked Hard. Flew Right. Farewell, Continental. Thanks for the memories.

trintocan

Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:03 am

Some interesting observations CO777DAL. That seems an unusual route that the flight took from POS, that is normally the route taken by flights to GEO and PBM. Perhaps it had to do with weather or traffic conditions around POS at the time.

As for the TAB services, the reluctance to take the exit seats stems from unwillingness or inability to use the exits if required in an emergency - perhaps Trinis do not make a big fuss over the better legroom (but with the flight lasting just 15 minutes that is not really an issue).

TrinToCan.
Hop to it, fly for life!

MAH4546

Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:11 am

Quoting MD90fan (Reply 4):

They still do. American Eagle operates this flight daily.
a.

2travel2know

Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:13 am

Quoting CO777DAL (Reply 8):
Does anyone know how long a 737-800 fly can? I know flights to and from POS carry a lot of luggage (weight). And right before landing I was thinking CO must be pushing the aircraft limits after flying for close to 6 hours and 45 minutes. How close were we to empty?

CM flies them EZE-PTY, GRU-PTY - don't know if MVD-PTY too. Those are much longer than POS-IAH.
Since you fly that IAH-POS-IAH route often, Do you think a IAH-POS midnight departure would be better than the current IAH afternoon departure / late evening POS arrival?

aa1818

Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:56 am

Quoting 2travel2know (Reply 11):
Do you think a IAH-POS midnight departure would be better than the current IAH afternoon departure / late evening POS arrival?

I don't think so. I think that the IAH-POS traffic is mostly O&D and the current times are perfect and convenient for travellers. The CO flight is also one of the first evening arrivals and so clearing immigration and customs is easy- before the rush of Caribbean Airlines and AA flights.

What advantages would there be for a midnight departure- other than perhaps good a/c utilization for CO?

AA1818
“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it.” J.M. Barrie (Peter Pan)

md90fan

Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:01 am

Quoting AUA747 (Reply 7):
Insel Air was planning to start service to SDQ, I don't know if they started this already.

They started the once weekly flight on February 22, 2007

Quote:

7I 801 7 SDQ SXM 1140 1300 0 25feb07 30dec07 M83 1:20
7I 503 4 SDQ CUR 1530 1655 0 22feb07 27dec07 M83 1:25

Quoting 2travel2know (Reply 6):
About that AA SDQ expansion, Those flights from SDQ to points not in the U.S. or Puerto Rico will be tag-on fifth right of the flights coming from there even with equipment change?

I'm assuming the aircraft will be based there or operate the routes during times when the aircraft would normally be idle.

Does anyone think CO might upgrade this route to a 757-200 as they get more 737s?

Nope, especially as the 757s are re-positioned for (largely) trans-atlantic routes.

Does anyone know how long a 737-800 fly can?

The newest ones, according to Boeing can do 3,060 nautical miles (5665 km).

A388

Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:23 am

Quoting AUA747 (Reply 2):
I just read it on www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl (unfortunately its in dutch) that American Eagle wants to start service from SDQ to AUA and CUR. These routes could be successful, however American Eagle need to adapt the local culture if it wants these routes to be successful.

Flying SDQ-CUR with an ATR? That will be one crappy flight, especially with Caribbean people on board. I have my serious doubts about the success of this flight. Caribbean people love BAGGAGE. Not are you pushing it to fly SDQ-CUR on an ATR but the aircraft doesn't even have the cargo capacity that is demanded for such a route.

Insel Air already flies CUR-SDQ v.v. with an MD83 which is a good aircraft for this route. VH also flies CUR-SDQ daily and 9H is also considering the route using the F100. With the rumours of a new Dominican airline starting up they better start flying to CUR fast in order to catch a piece of the pie. There is demand between the Dominican Republic and Curacao but not for 3-4 airlines. 2-3 airlines might do it (as VH seems to have crappy service on the route) but definately not more.

A388

aa1818

Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:29 am

Quoting A388 (Reply 14):
Flying SDQ-CUR with an ATR? That will be one crappy flight, especially with Caribbean people on board.

AA does SJU-POS with the ATR and has huge successes. Trinis travel with loads of baggage and the ATR handles it just fine- albiet with a few 'balancing' problems! The route is over 600m while the CUR-SDQ route is about 430m. I'm sure the ATR would be fine for a flight that lasts less than 2 hours! AA is competitive with their pricing and if they are pursuing a mini-hub/ focus city in SDQ then this flight will definitely be among its routes!

AA1818
“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it.” J.M. Barrie (Peter Pan)

md90fan

Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:46 am

Quoting AA1818 (Reply 15):

AA does SJU-POS with the ATR and has huge successes. Trinis travel with loads of baggage and the ATR handles it just fine- albiet with a few 'balancing' problems! The route is over 600m while the CUR-SDQ route is about 430m. I'm sure the ATR would be fine for a flight that lasts less than 2 hours! AA is competitive with their pricing and if they are pursuing a mini-hub/ focus city in SDQ then this flight will definitely be among its routes!

If it was a "huge successes" it would be upgraded.

jmbweeboy

Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:21 am

JM TO FLY FORT LAUDERDALE-BARBADOS NON-STOP!

Today I learned from a very well placed source high up at the Barbados Tourism Authority that JM will announce in July startup of service later this year daily Fort-Lauderdale-Barbados non-stop.

This will obviously help fill a void for travelers who were left with nothing other than AA from Miami after BWEE's departure early this past January. JM will avoid on one hand direct competition with AA at Miami on this route but will enjoy market pull from not only Broward County (largest North American West Indian population) but from Palm Beach County to the North and surely some Dade County too.

JM will also be able to feed its BGI-GND and BGI-UVF flights with this Fort Lauderdale traffic assuming flights are timed accordingly.

JMBWEEBOY

MAH4546

Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:48 am

American Eagle is planning to launch daily non-stops from Santo Domingo to Aruba and Curacao this summer, and two daily flights to Port Au Prince. The daily flight to Caracas is unlikely to start this summer because they are unlikely to get Venezuelan government approval in a timely manner. They are still waiting for Miami-Valencia approval, it's been almost six months!
a.

aa1818

Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:11 am

Quoting JMBWEEBOY (Reply 17):
Today I learned from a very well placed source high up at the Barbados Tourism Authority that JM will announce in July startup of service later this year daily Fort-Lauderdale-Barbados non-stop.

Caribbean Airlines was rumoured to be looking at this route. CAL better watch it since JM is being quite aggressive in pursuing market share in traditional BWee territory!

AA1818

A388

Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:28 am

AA1818

Hey AA1818, what's up. It is just my opinion that the SDQ-CUR route operated with the ATR will not be that big of a success because of the aircraft used. You mention the success of the SJU-POS route but do they have direct competition on this route? I haven't heard of any direct competition on this route while the SDQ-CUR route does have direct competition from at least two airlines who both fly the much larger and much more comfortable MD82/83. An ATR will not be able to compete effectively with these aircraft purely because of its size, both passengerwise as well as cargo wise.

Even so, I do wish American Eagle all the best and welcome them back in CUR as they recently stopped flying SJU-CUR which was performing poorly. Good luck to American Eagle and CUR, welcome back!! Big grin Big grin

A388

caribbean484

Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:01 pm

Quoting AA1818 (Reply 19):
Caribbean Airlines was rumoured to be looking at this route. CAL better watch it since JM is being quite aggressive in pursuing market share in traditional BWee territory!

Davies and crew needs to take a hard look now.
All ah we is one family

md90fan

Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:19 pm

Quoting Caribbean484 (Reply 21):
Davies and crew needs to take a hard look now.

They won't do anything.

CAL is stretched with it's current fleet of ~6 738s (?), and with a sensible management now I doubt they would waste precious aircraft to engage in a pissing match with JM.

TransIsland

Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:55 pm

"NFS Workers May Have Deal Soon" (Nassau Guardian) http://www.thenassauguardian.com/national_local/289374739974485.php

"Two Dead In Berry Islands Plane Crash" (Bahama Journal) http://www.jonesbahamas.com/?c=45&a=12276
I'm an aviation expert. I have Sky Juice for breakfast.

BWIA 772

RE: Caribbean/Caribe/Cara�bes Aviation Part 13

Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:39 pm

Quoting MD90fan (Reply 22):

Current ops call for 4 aircraft so I dont see how CAL fleet can be stretched!!! If they go ahead with FLL at most that may be 3 times per week couple that with 4 BGI JFK services that is the 5th aircraft.

BWIA 772
Eagles Soar!

westindian425

Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:45 pm

When is the first quarter report for CAL due to come out?
God did not create aircraft pilots to be on the ground

AUA747

Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:25 am

AA does SJU-POS with the ATR and has huge successes.

With the dutch antilles area they were not that successful due to competition. AE served SJU-AUA in the past with ATR aside of the B757 of AA. AE discontinued this about a year or two ago. I flew AE once SJU-AUA it was a horrible, it takes about 2 hrs 20 min while with the B757 its about 1 hr 15min. IMO I think it could have been successful if they served it with a regional jet. Over 2hrs in a ATR is pushing it a little bit.

Quoting MD90fan (Reply 16):
If it was a "huge successes" it would be upgraded

I don't think that AA will base one or two B737 in SDQ to serve this route. B737 might be too big to cover CUR and AUA. Plus out of CUR they are facing competition by 7I, VH, and probably 9H soon.

One of the biggest issue that I see with AE serving these area is the fare system. In these area, the locals tends to book last minute and are used to still get a decent fare, if not the same fare you would have get if you have booked it months ago. However with AE if you book last minute, a tix will cost you 5 times more then what would have cost you if you have booked months ago.

CO777DAL

Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:06 am

Thanks for all the answers everyone.

Quoting 2travel2know (Reply 11):
Since you fly that IAH-POS-IAH route often, Do you think a IAH-POS midnight departure would be better than the current IAH afternoon departure / late evening POS arrival?

No I do not. Every time I get to the gate at IAH it appears that the vast majority of the passengers are Trinidadians or people originally from Trinidad. There is small amount of tourist on the flight. From the people I talked to, it seems that many of them are connecting at IAH like myself.

I think people are to use to an evening arrival into POS. For as long as I have flow on that route before CO on BW and AA, I have also been on an evening arrival into POS.

I have also found out from talking to people that everyone I have spoken to prefer going through IAH than MIA. The biggest comment is the easy of customs and immigration at IAH verse MIA and the service on Continental. Many of the people I have spoken to are from Texas, and California. I’m surprised that there are so many people from the West Indies in Texas. There is quite a bit of people coming out of Dallas too. If you live in Texas, the neighboring states and west of Texas, IAH is a much more convenient airport to connect in verse MIA.

A midnight flight would equal bad connections. I personally would not fly on a midnight flight to POS. Its only 5 and ½ hours to 5H 45M to POS. That’s not enough time to get any sleep so in the morning I would feel groggy and have an unproductive day. Right now, I can get into to POS around 8ish and get to where I stay and still have enough time to eat and get a good night rest and hit the ground running the next morning. The only way I would consider a midnight flight would be if CO was flying an aircraft with BusinessFirst Seats. Still only a consideration. I think current arrival time into POS works the best. I hate early morning departures. Those 2:30 to 2:45AM departures out of DXB are a killer. DXB-LGW-IAH-DAL.

There are also a good number of business people on the IAH-POS flight. I have sat next to a good number of people in Oil Industry. Most of them are based out of Houston. With the current departure time they can get work done in the morning and then fly out to POS get a good nights rest and start up the next day in Trinidad. I’m in commercial real estate development and Trinidad and Tobago is a VERY busy market for us. It is one of the hottest right now in terms of development. I’m always telling people about Trinidad. It amazes me such a little country has so much going on. I need a good nights rest because in the day we are scouting sites and meeting with clients. CO flies the 737-800 version with 20 First Class seats. They are getting a number os business travelers on that flight.
Worked Hard. Flew Right. Farewell, Continental. Thanks for the memories.

md90fan

Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:10 am

Quoting AUA747 (Reply 26):
Over 2hrs in a ATR is pushing it a little bit.

You may want to check out:

There is some Air Tahiti flights (PPT-Gambier) that are block at 3:55.

AE's SJU-SLU, SJU-AUA, SJU-GND are all 2+ hours, but SJU-POS is blocked at 2:50  checkmark 

Quoting AUA747 (Reply 26):
I don't think that AA will base one or two B737 in SDQ to serve this route. B737 might be too big to cover CUR and AUA. Plus out of CUR they are facing competition by 7I, VH, and probably 9H soon.

I was referring to the SJU-POS route, which is an AA monopoly.

Quoting BWIA 772 (Reply 24):
Current ops call for 4 aircraft so I dont see how CAL fleet can be stretched!!! If they go ahead with FLL at most that may be 3 times per week couple that with 4 BGI JFK services that is the 5th aircraft.

I said that for you because when I mention routes to HAV,PTY,SDQ and SJO you say the fleet is at full capacity

biggrin 

BWIA 772

Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:13 am

CAL celebrated 100 days of operation on April 10

Interesting http://caribbean-airlines.com/mother.html

BWIA 772

[Edited 2007-04-12 20:20:11]
Eagles Soar!

2travel2know

Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:04 am

Quoting CO777DAL (Reply 27):
No I do not. Every time I get to the gate at IAH it appears that the vast majority of the passengers are Trinidadians or people originally from Trinidad. There is small amount of tourist on the flight. From the people I talked to, it seems that many of them are connecting at IAH like myself.

I asked because red-eyes flight work from California to Centralameirca (5+ hour flights too) and go over 2 time zones just like the IAH-POS.
I would have guessed Trinis might prefer an early morning arrival.

trintocan

Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:52 am

Caribbean Airlines must certainly look closely at itself; it has in a fell swoop surrendered the Eastern Caribbean market to JM in many ways and the Reggaebird is taking full advantage of this. The trouble is that JM itself is in financial trouble and one wonders how long it will continue to haemorrhage money.

In all fairness it seemed extreme for BW to drop BGI as much as it did, especially as BGI provided a lot of passengers (business, leisure and VFR) on its services to North America. The services also provided much needed airlift between POS and BGI, which is now entirely in the hands of LI bar the daily KIN service. One would hope that BW restores those BGI services soon as they could make a lot of profit from it. Another BW vs JM jetfight in the Caribbean just 7 years after the last one? Hmmm, let's wait and see...

TrinToCan.
Hop to it, fly for life!

A388

Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:12 am

As I have mentioned earlier, there seems to be some truth to the leasing of one 738 from Caribbean Airlines. HV will be leasing 9Y-GEO for the coming summer season. More people in the Netherlands are confirming this and now the registration is also known (9Y-GEO).

A388

[Edited 2007-04-13 01:35:44]

beeweel15

Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:54 am

Quoting Trintocan (Reply 31):
In all fairness it seemed extreme for BW to drop BGI as much as it did, especially as BGI provided a lot of passengers (business, leisure and VFR) on its services to North America.

Seemed Extreme it was way beyond extreme that the most profitable destination was just thrown to the side. The remaining airlines have taken major advantage of it and wont release what they got with out a real dog fight with everyone being involved not just a JM/BW fight.

Quoting A388 (Reply 32):
HV will be leasing 9Y-GEO for the coming summer season. More people in the Netherlands are confirming this and now the registration is also known.

Sure 9Y-GEO is not being returned and has been re leased to HV. Cause it makes no sense to reduce their capacity when they need it.

BWIA 772

Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:18 am

Quoting Beeweel15 (Reply 33):
Seemed Extreme it was way beyond extreme that the most profitable destination was just thrown to the side. The remaining airlines have taken major advantage of it and wont release what they got with out a real dog fight with everyone being involved not just a JM/BW fight.

I have to agree as there seems to be no clear rational for dropping BGI especially to JFK. The best thing that I could come up with is that CAL decided that it would start up smaller than BW which is understandable. Another bonus if it could be called that is that by axing BGI like they did it allowed them to cater for CWC in that if they kept BGI on they would have had to lease aircraft to do the extra flights.

Summer is busy period so perfect for expansion. So unless CAL has some new aircraft coming that Davies only he and a few people know about I don't see GEO leaving the fleet.

BWIA 772
Eagles Soar!

A388

Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:25 am

Quoting Beeweel15 (Reply 33):
Cause it makes no sense to reduce their capacity when they need it.

I know it doesn't make sense to lease out their aircraft while Caribbean Airlines needs the aircraft themselves but more people in the Netherlands are confirming this lease. I first heard it from a flight attendant at HV and it is now also mentioned in the forum (incl. registration!). It appears 9Y-GEO will be in Europe for the summer season flying for HV. They will not include the Caribbean Airlines crew as HV has its own crew to fly the aircraft. HV will also lease two SpiceJet 737s besides the Caribbean Airlines aircraft.

If any one has more info on this, please do share it here! Big grin

A388

beeweel15

Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:39 am

Quoting AA1818 (Reply 19):
CAL better watch it since JM is being quite aggressive in pursuing market share in traditional BWee territory!

AA1818

How funny many many folks said the same things to the old BW many many years ago when JM first started to move into to the old traditional BWee territory.

md90fan

Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:24 am

Hey guys my trip report is up:
AS To Cancun For Spring Break (27+ Pics) (by MD90fan Apr 13 2007 in Trip Reports)

Feel free to comment  biggrin 

BWIA 772

Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:13 am

The Concorde Museum BGI had its official opening ceremony Thursday and will be open for business from Monday Big grin. The museum is interactive.

The following is the link for Caribbean Airlines Promotional Video. It will only work if you have a quicktime plug in for your browser. It wont work with my netscape but it does with my internet explorer.

Regards
BWIA 772
Eagles Soar!

captaink

Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:49 pm

Quoting Trintocan (Reply 31):

Quoting Beeweel15 (Reply 36):
How funny many many folks said the same things to the old BW many many years ago when JM first started to move into to the old traditional BWee territory.

I think it may be a little different this time around. While Caribbean Airlines replaced BWIA, it is not BWIA. I think there was some serious allegience to BWIA, I know I felt it, my family felt it and many caribbean folk felt it.

But If Caribbean decides to stay out of the BGI market for very long, and BGI pax gets the opportunity to experience JM a few times, and JM does a good job in BGI, in the absence of Caribbean, maybe, just maybe all the passengers won't go running to Caribbean Airlines when it decides to return.
There is something special about planes....

BWIA 772

Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:31 pm

Quoting Captaink (Reply 39):
While Caribbean Airlines replaced BWIA, it is not BWIA. I know I felt it, my family felt it and many caribbean folk felt it

checkmark 

Very true.

JM came in and BW only fought when JM eyed POS. BW could afford to do that because it had it loyal customers with the most loyal of them staying on to the very end. CAL is not BW and the only place were they may have customers with the same type of loyalty is POS.

Summer is the time for Caribbean Airlines to burst back into BGI with a media blitz of their eye catching ads some nice fares to entice the customers and show JM how the real humming bird does it Big grin (could not resist my trini side had to come through)

Regards
Totally Trini (when it comes to CAL vs JM)
BWIA 772
Eagles Soar!

captaink

Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:22 pm

Quoting BWIA 772 (Reply 40):
Summer is the time for Caribbean Airlines to burst back into BGI with a media blitz of their eye catching ads some nice fares to entice the customers and show JM how the real humming bird does it
Your forgot to add, in an ideal world. Sadly we don't live in an ideal world, and with Caribbean Airlines tentatively leasing out more 737s, in this case 9Y-GEO, seems like expansion, or re-entry into the the BGI market is not in their immediate plans.

In other news, the original, bastardized version of the hummingbird on a colourful livery will hold the fort.   Couldn't resist the Jamaican in me. (2 generations away BTW) HAHA

[Edited 2007-04-14 07:23:27]

BWIA 772

Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:27 am

In BGI Advocate BGI Tourism minister noted that BGI should have a new non stop service to FLL starting June. BA is increasing it business class capacity for the 07/08 winter and BGI may get a non stop service to Asia later this year.

So I hope FLL is done by CAL.

Regards
BWIA 772
Eagles Soar!

captaink

Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:29 am

Quoting BWIA 772 (Reply 42):
So I hope FLL is done by CAL.

Hope it is done by JM. I don't support traitors. HAHA

Quoting BWIA 772 (Reply 42):
BGI may get a non stop service to Asia later this year.

Serving what purpose?

A388

Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:45 am

Quoting Captaink (Reply 43):
Serving what purpose?

Not only that but it is not even possible!! There is no long range aircraft that can reach Asia nonstop from the Caribbean. A political delegation here in CUR also went to China to get a Chinese airline to fly to CUR but it was all just a political vacation on the expense of us taxpayers here in CUR. How do you want to attract an Asian airline to fly to the Caribbean when there is absolutely no demand to justify such a route not even on a charter basis?

A388

md90fan

Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:00 am

In 20 years I can see a flight to Jamaica as the Chinese population grows and looks for more obscure destinations to invest and even travel too.

2travel2know

Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:57 am

Quoting A388 (Reply 44):
There is no long range aircraft that can reach Asia nonstop from the Caribbean

An A340 has the range to fly from HAV, MBJ and KIN to Japan. The distance is about the same as a BKK-JFK which is one of the longest A340 non-stop flights.

Quoting MD90fan (Reply 45):
In 20 years I can see a flight to Jamaica as the Chinese population grows and looks for more obscure destinations to invest and even travel too.

Yes, even a Jamaica-China via YVR (if the Canadians don't require transit visas for passengers staying onboard the aircraft).
If JM had the vision, they should be looking at all the Caribbean/Northern Southamerica - Far East traffic which can't fly via an U.S. or Canadian airport.. A340 for London!?, when that kind of aircraft should be used for Jamaica - Japan flights.. ;(

MAH4546

Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:25 am

Asia-Caribbean? Guys, think logically: not happening. Not even in twenty years.
a.

hummingbird

Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:57 am

If JM had the vision, they should be looking at all the Caribbean/Northern Southamerica - Far East traffic which can't fly via an U.S. or Canadian airport.. A340 for London!?, when that kind of aircraft should be used for Jamaica - Japan flights.. ;(

The current management are in the process of finalizing routes to Brazil, Argentina and Venezuela. The route to Venezuela is a bit controversial as on Mr Chavez's visit to Jamaica, he made a grant to supply a certain amount of fuel to Jamaica on a daily basis, of which the majority will go to Air Jamaica.
Mr Stewart was actually planning to tap the Japanese market as it has a huge potential as the number of Japanese visitors to Jamaica is on the rise.

BTW. The history behind JM switching to Boeing has two major factors; lease cost and the cost of spares. There is a particular person that has the contract to supply airbus parts in Jamaica. It has been discovered the company has been overcharged for parts and the only way to break from it is to switch allegiance. Boeiig has offered free support for their aircrafts.
The sky is the limit, but never stop grasping until you get the glory cloud..

MAH4546

Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:00 am

Quoting HummingBird (Reply 48):

That traffic can fly via US and Canadian airports. Yes, via the US you need a visa, but via Canada, I don't believe you do. Also, an A340-200 or A340-300 cannot fly Jamaica-Japan. An A340-500 can. Air Jamaica. The market for Caribbean-Far East is way too small for any kind of non-stop service.
a.