Daleaholic
Topic Author

Manchester UK News 11

Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:18 pm

Continuing on from the other thread since it was taking quite a while to load!

I've not been to MAN recently but I have been told that Level 13 has been resurfaced and the fences have been taken down. Anybody confirm this?

Cheers
Paul
Religion is an illusion of childhood... Outgrown under proper education.

speedbird19

RE: Manchester UK News 11

Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:21 am

I think it's re-opened now but the TAS shop is now in T1 arrivals and they've pulled the old one down completely. Best place for spotting is the viewing park though to be honest  Smile
Planeprincess

Scottiedog

Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:08 am

Received today from the airport community relations department.

Note the night closure between 3rd-8th June, which wil include Runway redesignation work - as discussed in Manchester News 10.

Hope it helps somebody.

"Please be aware that the forthcoming Nighttime runway 1 closure will commence this evening at 22:15. The runway will be closed every night between 22:15 and 06:00 until the morning of Tuesday 24th April.
This is due to resurfacing and repairs to adjacent taxiways and runway lighting checks. During the stated times, all flights will operate from Runway 2. In the event of bad weather/low visibility, the works may be deferred and Runway 1 will be reinstated. Normal operations will resume at all other times. As always, the prevailing wind conditions will determine in which direction aircraft will take-off and land.

We do apologise for any inconvenience these changes may cause and would like to assure you that the work will be carried out as quickly as possible. These exceptional changes are permitted within the terms of the Planning Permission for Runway 2 and should you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Other planned future closures in 2007:-
· 22:15 hrs on Sunday 3rd June till 06:00 on 8th June (5 nights). Routine maintenance, the annual walking inspection plus Runway re-designation works.
· 22:15 on Sunday 7th October till 06:00 on 12th October (5 nights). Routine maintenance and lighting checks. "

mainMAN

Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:32 pm

Here's another one which appears to have slipped beneath the radar.

Croatia Airlines don't appear to be operating their usual summer schedule to Dubrovnik, Split and Pula. Last year GB Airways operated MAN-DBV, replaced by TOM this year, which explains the loss of OU on that route.

gayrugbyman

Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:07 am

Any news on a replacement MAD service?

Humberside

Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:18 am

Quoting MainMAN (Reply 3):
Croatia Airlines don't appear to be operating their usual summer schedule to Dubrovnik, Split and Pula. Last year GB Airways operated MAN-DBV, replaced by TOM this year, which explains the loss of OU on that route.

I guess thats probably down to the tour operators who take a number of seats on the flights - Inghams, Holiday Options and Balkan Holidays. But while they can use TOM to DBV, who will they use to Split and Pula?
Visit the Air Humberside Website and Forum

jetset7e7

Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:02 am

Finnair to be handled by Swissport from 14th May.

Mark
Retrofitted Blended Winglets - The Future Is On The Wing

Boeing74741R

Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:06 am

Quoting Speedbird19 (Reply 1):

I've not heard anything about T1 Level 13 being reopened again, but I haven't been to T1 much since they closed Level 13. The times I have been there a lot of the spotters from upstairs have gathered around tables in the food court landside.

Totally agree the best place for spotting (and in my case photography) is the AVP.

gayrugbyman

Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:34 pm

Will this involve a terminal move for AY?

mainMAN

Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:14 pm

Quoting Humberside (Reply 5):

I guess thats probably down to the tour operators who take a number of seats on the flights - Inghams, Holiday Options and Balkan Holidays. But while they can use TOM to DBV, who will they use to Split and Pula?

Balkan Holidays have flights on Saturday mornings listed, but the airport website doesn't have a carrier against Pula or Split in the charter services timetable, and there are no scheduled services on the summer timetable (which was released yesterday). It's a mystery.

mainMAN

Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:38 pm

A cursory glance at the summer scheduled timetable makes for quite interesting reading (and I can't quite believe I've just said that!) It looks like FCA have gone scheduled, along with many TOM services.

A few highlights.....

FCA are now providing sched. service from MAN to Agadir, Alicante, Almeria, Antalya, Aruba, Banjul, Barbados, Bodrum, Bourgas, Cancun, Chania, Corfu, Dalaman, Faro, Fuerteventura, Funchal, Heraklion, Hualtulco (where?!), Ibiza, Kefalonia, Kos, Lanzarote, Larnaca, Las Palmas, Malaga, Male, Mahon, Monastir, Montego Bay, Mytilene, Nassau, Orlando Sanford, Palma, Paphos, Porlamar, Preveza, Puerto Plata, Puerto Vallarta, Punta Cana, Reus, Rhodes, Salvador, Sharm el Sheik, Skaithos, Taba, Tenerife, Thessalonika, Thira, Varna, Verona, and Zakinthos.

What this means is that MAN has its first ever services to South America (Salvador, Brazil), Mexico, the Bahamas, Aruba, Banjul, and the return of Jamaica services.

A few other points.....

Antwerp and Rotterdam up and running by VLM.
Barcelona now twice daily thanks to Jet2.
Zurich and Basel increase in capacity courtesy of Swiss.
Damascus increased to Tue, Thur and Fri on Syrian 320s.
Jeddah and Riyadh from the 22 June on SV, which also provides the only MAN-GVA service.
Islamabad Wed, Fri, Sat, Sun throughout June, daily from 1 July on Air Blue. This will be successful IMO.
Minsk on Mondays again between 4 July and 3 Sept with Belavia.
Tehran increasing to daily except Mon and Tue.
Tripoli increasing to Wed, Thur and Sun on LN.
Isle of Man BE services operated by 145s - all four daily services, plus a selection of 'villes regionales francaises'.

Dhaka, Bergen, Pula, Split and Madrid have disappeared from the departure boards as we know.

[Edited 2007-04-17 13:43:57]

jonnywishbone

Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:48 pm

It's scheduled, but not as we know it.....

Losing BA Connect has made the whole airport look and feel LOW COST.

You have to look long and hard to find a good service airline in the pages and pages of LS, BE, TOM, FCA, ZB, WW etc etc.

Great if you have a portfolio of properties in a profusion of French regional centres though!

philb

Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:58 pm

Quoting JonnyWishbone (Reply 11):
It's scheduled, but not as we know it.....

...and BA Connect was wonderful?????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I trust you will deign to continue to use the now utterly downgraded and low rent airport or will you feel out of place with your overpriced full service ticket?

The airport is a SERVICE and provides for passengers using airlines which can make a profit by creating and responding to a given demand. If yours is different and you want to spend x times as much as the majority on transportation, that's your prerogative but you are swimming against the tide. Air travel is no longer the preserve of the rich, famous and those on expense accounts - nor has it been for a good many years.

harleyf150

Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:23 pm

Hi Paul

Level 13 has been reopened i managed to get a shot of the Emirates 777 as it pushed back on April 5th, although within 30 seconds of setting up my tripod i was approached by a policeman and told to leave the area, he told me that due to security reasons you are not allowed to take pictures from the top of the car park especially of the Apron area then when i questioned him about the hundreds of pictures that are on the various websites from this location he didn't have an answer,i didn't tell him that i worked at the airport and that i had my pass with me because i was just curious to hear what he had to say,Level 12 for the time being is still closed due to the ongoing resurfacing

Regards Mike

philb

Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:28 pm

Quoting Harleyf150 (Reply 13):
he told me that due to security reasons you are not allowed to take pictures from the top of the car park especially of the Apron area

Another unthinking jobsworth. I thought you had to have some common sense to be even a lowly constable. Good for you for putting him on the spot and having him justify his misuse of uniform and authority.

jonnywishbone

Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:31 pm

Unfortunately, MAN is no longer the preserve of business travellers who want to go to the following places for a day's business returning that night.

Hanover - gone
Berlin - gone
Madrid - gone
Eindhoven - gone
Rome - gone
Oslo - gone
Geneva - gone unless it's winter

I am sure there are others that can be found!

I'm not a snob, travel with whatever suits my plans best, but i'm sure there are more people like me who miss Manchester as a business airport. I know it's the way the industry is going, but unless you live in London, there are many European destinations can no longer be done in a day. I travel to Berlin and Hanover a lot - two services a day worked well and were usually fairly full. One service a day is no good, so I therefore have to travel via somewhere, so how long will the one a day last?

If I was off on business to Murcia, Faro or that great business hub of Paphos i'd be laughing!!!!

mainMAN

Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:37 pm

Quoting JonnyWishbone (Reply 11):

You have to look long and hard to find a good service airline in the pages and pages of LS, BE, TOM, FCA, ZB, WW etc etc.

Great if you have a portfolio of properties in a profusion of French regional centres though!

The 'proper' airlines are still there, if you look amidst the vastly expanded offerings of the low costs. Lufthansa 321s, Air France 320s and SIA 777s are still hoovering up and spewing out business passengers on a regular basis.

I haven't got a problem with LCCs, I rather wish there were more of them at MAN. If you think about how Barcelona's gone Clickair, Madrid's got the FR plague, Dublin's a true LCC hub with FR and EI, Geneva's now largely orange and Dusseldorf is credited with LTU, it's only the very few remaining and big high yielding cities which have any hope of staying purely 'legacy'.........Paris, Frankfurt and London Heathrow, and that's about it.

I prefer to see MAN as the North's answer to LHR, LGW and STN all rolled into one. BA Connect may have looked nice at T3, but as far as I'm aware, not many people ever used them!

mainMAN

Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:48 pm

Quoting JonnyWishbone (Reply 15):
Hanover - gone
Berlin - gone
Madrid - gone
Eindhoven - gone
Rome - gone
Oslo - gone
Geneva - gone unless it's winter

I am sure there are others that can be found!

Point taken, but the loss of these is circumstantial, just at the moment. TXL was never twice daily (was it?). Rome and Oslo are not massive business destinations from MAN, and I agree that MAD's a problem, most likely to be taken on by FR.

Take HAJ as an examle. I'm surprised that BE have retained it, because competition from HLX must have a pretty devastating effect on yields and load (but apparently not enough to scrap it all together).

philb

Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:02 pm

Quoting JonnyWishbone (Reply 15):
If I was off on business to Murcia, Faro or that great business hub of Paphos i'd be laughing!!!!

Just how many of the list you post could realistically have been destinations for same day return travel for a businessman seeking worthwhile time in front of a customer/supplier at the destinatiion?

Jet2 serve Berlin daily which was the "standard" set by BA from around 1969 when, for over 2 decades, they operated MAN-GLA-MAN-DUS-TXL changed aircraft and flew the reverse schedule.
FlyBe serve Hanover, presumably on a schedule they can sustain.
Madrid will, no doubt in time, be picked up.
Eindhoven is hardly a well served destination from anywhere and unless you have major business with Philips, is relatively unimportant to most airlines - and there is an excellent train service from Schiphol.
Rome is served by Jet2
SAS serve Oslo and Geneva will be served 2x weekly by SVA from June - assuming they have 5th freedom rights.

So the destinations you list have not all "gone" as you make out. You may not be able to fly BA or "pretend" BA but you can get there and back on modern aircraft by reputable airlines.

If you want to blame someone, look to BA and their antecedents who (apart from the period of the 1-11 Division where local management strove to build a European network from Manchester) have done everything in their power to ensure their own traffic was routed through Heathrow and competition on direct routes from Manchester was stifled at every turn - dating back to the days even before the opening of Barton.

David_itl

Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:52 am

Quoting MainMAN (Reply 10):
Isle of Man BE services operated by 145s - all four daily services, plus a selection of 'villes regionales francaises'

It's now 5 daily on weekdays - they did an unannounced increase in frequency between the acquisition of BACon and stating 4 daily on weekdays on that route and the actual start of combined ops!

mainMAN

Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:37 am

Quoting Philb (Reply 18):
If you want to blame someone, look to BA and their antecedents who (apart from the period of the 1-11 Division where local management strove to build a European network from Manchester) have done everything in their power to ensure their own traffic was routed through Heathrow and competition on direct routes from Manchester was stifled at every turn

A situation now relegated to the rubbish bin of history. I'm hoping that flybe will enjoy a meteoric rise to be the airline which knows how to serve MAN and BHXs' business communities profitably.

Quoting David_itl (Reply 19):
It's now 5 daily on weekdays - they did an unannounced increase in frequency between the acquisition of BACon and stating 4 daily on weekdays on that route and the actual start of combined ops!

Looking at the timetable, they operate this with one 145 - or potentially could do so. And I bet they make money out of it too. The flybe fleet replacement at MAN will be worth waiting for. I know it's officially done and dusted, but will IOM, DUS, BRU and FRA etc really become operated by props?

There must be several new opportunities presenting themselves to flybe at Manchester right now. Split and Pula to name but two!

MYT332

Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:49 am

Quoting MainMAN (Reply 20):
The flybe fleet replacement at MAN will be worth waiting for.

Indeed! My first flight that used to be flown by BA is going to be this weekend and apparently the aircraft isn't even going to be Flybe let alone G- registered. It's going to be flown by WDL Aviation of Germany! Who? Big grin

Apparently it's a BAE146-200 for SOU-MAN but still, who? Oh well....
One Life, Live it.

jetset7e7

Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:54 am

I wonder if the BA aircraft will ever get any FlyBe titles on them, or even full livery? It looks weird seeing them in full BA livery, and the cabin crew in FlyBe red.

Mark
Retrofitted Blended Winglets - The Future Is On The Wing

David_itl

Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:21 am

Quoting Myt332 (Reply 21):
WDL Aviation of Germany! Who?

An airline that has stepped into the breach for BACon/BACitiExpress on a few occasions!

but will IOM, DUS, BRU and FRA etc really become operated by props

IOM is a natural route for DHC8-4s but whether we'll see it still at 5 daily weekday is a moot point as that would be the equivalent of operating E145s about 8 times a day! So that's one route which I can see dropping to 4 daily.

We've already seen quite a few services to CDG operated by DHC8-4s. I imagine that fuel burn will be lesser than the E145 so that should improve the profitability of those routes and then throw in an extra 20 to 25 seats to fill and BE will be "laughing all the way to the bank".

But the big question is how many E195s will be based here, and on what routes? I can possibly see what the tentative plans for the to-be-based aircraft will fly: perhaps 1 CDG service, 1 MXP service and even BHD having 1 or 2 flights a day with it.

mainMAN

Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:43 am

WDL Aviation of what??!! Who's that then? You'll soon find out.  Wink

On the online MAN timetable, one of BE's daily SOU-MAN-SOU services is listed as being flown by a Fokker 100. I can't imagine what that means........!

Quoting Jetset7E7 (Reply 22):
I wonder if the BA aircraft will ever get any FlyBe titles on them, or even full livery?

I went to the AVP last week for the first time in months basically to have a look at the new BE fleet. I was a bit taken aback at the sheer number of BA 145s and DH8s arriving (talk about false advertising!!!).........I reckon they'll be left in BA colours until the end of the summer season, or whenever they're finally replaced.

mainMAN

Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:06 am

Quoting David_itl (Reply 23):
We've already seen quite a few services to CDG operated by DHC8-4s. I imagine that fuel burn will be lesser than the E145 so that should improve the profitability of those routes and then throw in an extra 20 to 25 seats to fill and BE will be "laughing all the way to the bank".

This......I didn't know. The fare paying public don't expect a DHC8-4 when flying to Paris. What precise affect this has on its long term success remains to be seen.

But the big question is how many E195s will be based here, and on what routes? I can possibly see what the tentative plans for the to-be-based aircraft will fly: perhaps 1 CDG service, 1 MXP service and even BHD having 1 or 2 flights a day with it.

I think you might be right there. MAN-EDI might be worthwhile too.

jonnywishbone

Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:12 am

Geneva will be served 2x weekly by SVA from June

GREAT! I'll queue in T2 with the other 3000 people in an Emirates style, just get the flight by the skin of my teeth, get to GVA, do my day's work and then wait 3 days for the trip home - there's no limit to the fun you can have looking at the GVA fountain! .... Can't wait!

philb

Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:01 pm

Quoting JonnyWishbone (Reply 26):
GREAT! I'll queue in T2 with the other 3000 people in an Emirates style, just get the flight by the skin of my teeth, get to GVA, do my day's work and then wait 3 days for the trip home - there's no limit to the fun you can have looking at the GVA fountain! .... Can't wait!

Instead of sarcasm at my full and accurate reply to your erroneous post on services, an answer to my question

Just how many of the list you post could realistically have been destinations for same day return travel for a businessman seeking worthwhile time in front of a customer/supplier at the destinatiion?

might have been interesting.

If you want to blame someone, look to BA and their antecedents who (apart from the period of the 1-11 Division where local management strove to build a European network from Manchester) have done everything in their power to ensure their own traffic was routed through Heathrow and competition on direct routes from Manchester was stifled at every turn

A situation now relegated to the rubbish bin of history. I'm hoping that flybe will enjoy a meteoric rise to be the airline which knows how to serve MAN and BHXs' business communities profitably.

Unfortunately not true. The legacy of 70 odd years of artificial restriction in the choice of routes and carriers from MAN has led to the current situation where there is a small demand for premium fare seats from MAN, there is a "folk memory" that you "have to travel to LHR (or Amsterdam) to get to most places from MAN" and a number of One World partner airlines are inhibited from developing routes from MAN because of BA's power in the alliance and the fact the LHR and LGW services are still in place.

Ryan h

Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:33 pm

Do Balkan Holidays still send their TU 154s to MAN?.

Also do many A318s fly there?.

[Edited 2007-04-18 10:37:46]
South Australian Spotter www.ryanhothersall.net

speedbird19

Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:53 pm

Quoting Ryan h (Reply 28):

AF fly their 318's in quite frequently on their daily services to CDG.
Planeprincess

Ryan h

Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:12 pm

Thanks Speedbird19, the A318 is the only airbus I have not seen.
South Australian Spotter www.ryanhothersall.net

Boeing74741R

Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:57 am

Quoting Ryan h (Reply 30):

I can second Speedbird19, I've seen various AF A320 family aircraft at MAN The flights to look out for A318s are AF1669/AF2569 and AF1169 to CDG. They are shown as 'VARIOUS' in Flight Check but don't quote me on it.

The exception is AF2269 which is currently scheduled for an A319.

HTH

Scottiedog

Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:11 am

Recently there appear to have been a number of negative posts with regards to services from Manchester - some warranted and others probably not.

I thought it would be an idea to look at the loads being produced from the long-haul scheduled carriers - as produced by the CAA in their provisional figures for the month of March:

Abu Dhabi - Ethihad - 12688. Seems to be an average load of 204 passengers.
Chicago - American/Bmi - 22165 - 178 average load - minus 4.60pc
Doha - Qatar Airways - 15884 - 256 average load - plus 48pc
Dubai - Emirates - 42532 - 343 average load - plus 22pc
New York JFK - British Airways/Delta/Pakistan - 16087 - plus 51pc *
New York Newark - Continental - 17955 - 144 average load - plus 23pc *
Orlando - Virgin - 23367 - plus 11pc
Philadephia - US Air - 11879 - 191 average load - minus 14pc *
Tehran - Mahan Air - 2200. plus 156pc *

Figures marked with an * show questionable load factors as I seem to recall that the Eastern Seaboard of the USA was effected by bad weather and therefore there may have been a number of cancelled flights.

Within Europe there have been a number of cancelled services as a result of the BA/Flybe merger. I have therefore deliberately not undertaken a comparison of last year. The following routes do however seem to have performed exceptionally well:

Istanbul - THY - 6664 - 107 average load - plus 15pc
Luxembourg - Luxair/VLM - 4070- plus 483pc * VLM new on the route
Zurich - Swiss - 14382 - plus 21pc

As can be seen, all is not lost, and hopefully things will start to look better in the longer term. Remember that BAConnect cancelled 21pc of their slots from Manchester - and that is one heck of a lot to have to make up.

I am sure that people like David_itl will add their own comments and observations to my post.

Scottiedog

TuRbUleNc3

Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:22 am

Probably D-AMAJ  Wink

mainMAN

Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:36 am

Scottiedog - there's a lot to be pleased about in the performance of many of MAN's routes. As a European regional non-hub city, it's very well connected, give or take the frustrations of the CX saga and bmi to Johannesburg etc, which also very nearly happened. The next 10 years will see a growth in these sorts of needed additional services.

Quoting ScottieDog (Reply 32):
Luxembourg - Luxair/VLM - 4070- plus 483pc * VLM new on the route

This is perhaps a misleading figure.......it includes passengers on the two daily LCY flights which continue to LUX (the bulk of the pax travel only as far as LCY).

Quoting Philb (Reply 27):
The legacy of 70 odd years of artificial restriction in the choice of routes and carriers from MAN has led to the current situation where there is a small demand for premium fare seats from MAN, there is a "folk memory" that you "have to travel to LHR (or Amsterdam) to get to most places from MAN" and a number of One World partner airlines are inhibited from developing routes from MAN because of BA's power in the alliance and the fact the LHR and LGW services are still in place.

Yes. Is this necessarily true of European business destinations? There's certainly a "folk memory", as you say, but in my experience a lot of people are getting quite savvy as to how to get to places using alternatives.

Having said that, a friend told me that he'd flown LAX-LHR-MAN last week because there wasn't a Manchester flight. Hmm.

MYT332

Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:38 am

Quoting TuRbUleNc3 (Reply 33):
Probably D-AMAJ

Which used to smile at PSA back in the day, mmm, used aeroplane goodness!

Now this is proper hearsay but I was having a few beers and vodkas at 'The Romper' last week and I was sat outside with a friend. On the table just to our left was a large group of about fifteen people, some older some younger and we soon cottoned on to the fact that they were Flybe pilots and were talking about their future nightstops and rotations etc, great success! Now I have no clue if this information is in the public domain but I didn't know about the definite plan which is that the ER4 fleet of BE is going to start leaving the airline at a rate of one a month from August 2007.

Even if you knew or it's old news, it's a good story. Do you realise how hard it was to listen in to their conversation over the noise of the M56 and distant runway noise?
One Life, Live it.

philb

Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:13 pm

Quoting MainMAN (Reply 34):
Is this necessarily true of European business destinations? There's certainly a "folk memory", as you say, but in my experience a lot of people are getting quite savvy as to how to get to places using alternatives.

Had the airlines been able to develop services over the last half century and more without government and "national flag carrier" interference, the need to be savvy and use alternatives would be much, much less.

gayrugbyman

Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:18 pm

But the big question is how many E195s will be based here, and on what routes? I can possibly see what the tentative plans for the to-be-based aircraft will fly: perhaps 1 CDG service, 1 MXP service and even BHD having 1 or 2 flights a day with it

The first 195 arrives at MAN in September and will operate MAN - BRU initially.

oly720man

Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:35 pm

Quoting Ryan h (Reply 28):

Quoting Speedbird19 (Reply 29):
AF fly their 318's in quite frequently on their daily services to CDG.

Seen from my back garden... F-GUGN on the AFR 2268/9 7/4/07 (it also did the early morning flight 1668/9)

http://www.ringwayreports.co.uk/apr07scheduled.htm will show you the visitors this month, so far
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

gayrugbyman

Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:11 am

On a email from MAN received today, under new routes it list Jet2
MAN - Brussels.

cornish

Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:13 am

I understand that MAN is one of three airports still in the running for EI's first base outside the Republic. Would be interesting to see what they will do wherever they ultimately choose.
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

oly720man

Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:40 am

Quoting Cornish (Reply 40):
I understand that MAN is one of three airports still in the running for EI's first base outside the Republic

They almost had a base in MAN in the 70's as they flew BAC-111 on DUB-MAN-Europe routes.

What are the other airports in the running?

Belfast - http://www.uk-airport-news.info/belfast-airport-news-160207.htm (1 of 5 at this stage)
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

gayrugbyman

Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:54 am

Where else is there for an airline like Aer Lingus to fly to from MAN? Sunshine routes seem pretty covered, business centres in Europe look more or less served with a few exceptions (MAD, VIE, GVA, EIN_ so unless they are looking at longhaul (which I assume they are not), then it looks like medium haul is all that is left (SSH, CAI, PFO, LCA, SVO, IST).

MAN needs more longhauls, not another lowcost outfit.

cornish

Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:54 am

Quoting Oly720man (Reply 41):
What are the other airports in the running?

Now that would be telling  Wink
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

cornish

Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:05 am

Quoting GayrugbyMAN (Reply 42):

I don't understand why you would not want a carrier like EI at the airport.

MAN needs carriers that will bring in extra revenue to boost the airport and allow it to spend money to imporve the airport. So yes a carrie rlike Aer Lingus who may be prepared to base aircraft at the airport ARE needed. The long term finiancial health of the airport is just as important as what nice destinations are served.

And if their ops are a success who is not to say that with open skies they may decide put aircraft there to fly long haul to the States in future.....

More choice is more choice and more revenue for the airport. As an airport that is very expensive to operate by UK standards, it really needs all the extra revenue it can generate. Why wouldn't you want that??  confused 

philb

Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:10 am

Quoting Oly720man (Reply 41):
They almost had a base in MAN in the 70's as they flew BAC-111 on DUB-MAN-Europe routes

In the 1950s and 1960s Manchester was all but a base for Aer Lingus as, until BEA managed to have their fifth freedom rights removed, Aer Lingus's entire Viscount and later Viscount/BAC 1-11 operation to Europe used to stop at MAN both ways and most of the traffic was DUB-MAN and v v with mainly different passengers on the European sectors.

In fact for many years Aer Lingus ran ads in newspapers and had a large illuminated sign at the Mosley St end of Piccadilly Plaza with the caption "Manchester's our second home"

Humberside

Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:25 am

Where else is there for an airline like Aer Lingus to fly to from MAN? Sunshine routes seem pretty covered, business centres in Europe look more or less served with a few exceptions (MAD, VIE, GVA, EIN_ so unless they are looking at longhaul (which I assume they are not), then it looks like medium haul is all that is left (SSH, CAI, PFO, LCA, SVO, IST).

I agree the likes of ALC and AGP probably wouldnt be the best idea from MAN competing against TOM scheduled, ZB, LS and WW plus the charters, but if you take unserved/underserved city routes like MAD and GVA, add in some longer routes like Riga and the potential for a MAN based aircraft to operate existing DUB/ORK flights then EI could keep 2/3 MAN based aircraft busy

Although if EI do come in, could there be LoCo overload at MAN with bmi baby, Monarch, TOM, Jet 2 and Flybe (though they obviously keep to regional routes)

EI may eventually consider long hauls from MAN, and getting a short haul base from them would help the chances of this eventually happenning
Visit the Air Humberside Website and Forum

BlueShamu330s

Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:27 am

Quoting Philb (Reply 45):
In fact for many years Aer Lingus ran ads in newspapers and had a large illuminated sign at the Mosley St end of Piccadilly Plaza with the caption "Manchester's our second home"

As it seems to be for most of the indigenous population of Eire on a Man United home fixture !!!

Shamu

ps to Philb....Mersey has more class than the Moor Big grin
So I drive a 4x4. So what?! Tax the a$$ off me for it...oh, you already have... :-(

mainMAN

Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:43 am

Quoting GayrugbyMAN (Reply 39):
On a email from MAN received today, under new routes it list Jet2
MAN - Brussels.

I had this too, I think it's a mistake and perhaps they meant to say 'Prague'.

philb

Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:00 am

Quoting BlueShamu330s (Reply 47):
ps to Philb....Mersey has more class than the Moor

When we moved into Carlton Rd in 1956 the GPO had the address as Heaton Mersey. Most people in the road wanted the address to be Heaton Moor as it had much more "class" with 4 millionaires, the big houses were big houses occupied by one family not divided into flats and bed-sits and the "better class" shops were along Heaton Moor Rd and Moorside Rd, not Didsbury Rd - how times have changed!!

The residents were told by Stockport Council and the GPO that they could choose individually as no-one knew exactly where the boundary was!!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos