MSYtristar
Topic Author

Has Anyone Loaded A Plane By Themselves?

Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:27 pm

I did it this morning. Let me tell you, not that fun. 80 bags and 33 boxes of cargo. At least the flight left on time, not sure how I pulled that one off. I am basically as exhausted and as frustrated as i've ever been.

So tell me....what are some of your horror stories from the ramp?

captaink

RE: Has Anyone Loaded A Plane By Themselves?

Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:32 pm

Quoting MSYtristar (Thread starter):
I did it this morning. Let me tell you, not that fun. 80 bags and 33 boxes of cargo. At least the flight left on time, not sure how I pulled that one off. I am basically as exhausted and as frustrated as i've ever been.

How and why did that happen?

I did load about 5 bags into a DHC8-300, does that count? Hey I get extra point cause i was a customer service agent who just liked to be all over the place, when I should have been on the ticket counter or at the gate. Big grin
There is something special about planes....

SAS-A321

Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:38 pm

I was working in Billund Airport in Denmark EKBI and one morning the SAS Dash 8-Q400 I just loaded had a low level of oxygen in the bottle for the pilots, so they changed to another Q400, which should leave an hour later. So all the luggage had to come out and into the other aircraft and they only left with 5-10 minutes delay. Beside that I also had to connect a heater as the aircraft was close to frozen.
It's Scandinavian

MSYtristar
Topic Author

Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:45 pm

Quoting Captaink (Reply 1):
How and why did that happen?

I'm wondering that myself. I'm not at liberty to post the circumstances on here, but shoot me an IM, and i'll be happy to share more info.

DABZF

Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:47 pm

80 bags and 33 boxes of cargo.

...try to do that 5 times in 2 hours (both loading and unloading) with a 25knot wind throwing snow on your face in -30Celcius!  cold   cold   cold   cold   cold   cold 
Never did it for a "day job" but I was doing weekends and evenings one winter... while holding a "day job" in the warmth of the office!
I like driving backwards in the fog cause it doesn't remind me of anything - Chris Cornell

airtran737

Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:04 pm

Ahh yes, they joys of an EMO at AirTran. My worst was 120 bags plus carryons on an EMO. I would put ten bags at a time on the belt loader, jump in the bin, shoot them up to myself, get out and do it again. The front was easier because i could just throw them to the back of bin two. In addition I stocked the galley ice, filled the beer kits, hooked up the pushback and tow bar, and a partridge in a pear tree. I sort of miss those days.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

United787

Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:36 am

Not the whole plane, but I did once as a passenger.

On June 23, 1991, I was flying with my 7 person family from SMI to ATH on OA. As we were walking across the tarmac towards the turbo-prop, the flight attendant announced something like "the baggage handlers are on strike, if you want your bags to make it to Athens, you will have to load them yourselves." At which point, all of the passengers made a mad dash for the luggage cart to find their luggage and toss it into the cargo hold. It was a free for all. In addition, the engines were already started and the blades were slowly spinning. It was one of the craziest things I have ever seen. When we got to Athens, we told the customer service agents what happened and they just looked at us with no expression.

ANCFlyer

Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:44 am

Has Anyone Loaded A Plane By Themselves

Nope, but I UNLOADED one.

CO1191 back in the day. MD80. Intel said we had drugs in a suitcase. To maintain Chain of Custody my partner watched the suspect, and I unloaded the plane, and then put the bags on the belt. My kudos to every Ramper out there.

biggrin  We got the dope and the arrest by the by.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

MattRB

Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:46 am

Dude! Why? Why kill yourself like that? Guaranteed had you injured yourself doing that, the company would've written you off.

Not worth it, IMO.

No horror stories yet, just general frustration some days with lack of equipment.
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible.

KELPkid

Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:50 am

I do it every time I go flying by myself...

Of course, we're talking a four-passenger aircraft  Wink
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

Silver1SWA
Crew

Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:30 am

I loaded one by myself a couple weeks ago. I had just started my shift at 3:00pm and began working my first flight. I marshall it in, chock it...pull everything up all by myself. Look around wondering who is supposed to be with me on the gate. Look around for a supervisor in my zone. No one. Luckily the bag runner showed up so we took care of the offload. After that, I look around, not really caring if anyone shows up. There comes a time when you just get fed up with people not being where they are supposed to be, that you just say well, if we take a delay I don't care, I can only do so much as one person. So, I had a cart and a half to load (luckily that was all) and I began loading it...first the front, then the back. Get it all done, finish the paperwork on time and the flight is ready to go. I'm still looking around, wondering when someone, even a supervisor would show up. No one. Finally, a supervisor drives by and I flag him down. He didn't know who was supposed to be my partner so he got on the radio to find out. No luck, so he walks the flight out as I push.

Lack of communication on the part of the supervisors caused the other position at my gate to go uncovered.

So yes, to answer your question I have loaded a plane by myself.

[Edited 2007-04-12 21:37:33]
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

MDW717

Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:40 am

Quoting AirTran737 (Reply 5):
Ahh yes, they joys of an EMO at AirTran. My worst was 120 bags plus carryons on an EMO. I would put ten bags at a time on the belt loader, jump in the bin, shoot them up to myself, get out and do it again. The front was easier because i could just throw them to the back of bin two. In addition I stocked the galley ice, filled the beer kits, hooked up the pushback and tow bar, and a partridge in a pear tree. I sort of miss those days.

Depending on how early they checked in, don't forget tagging some of those bags at the ticket counter. Then once you've loaded, going upstairs to push wheelchairs down while the gate agent boards the flight, stopping in the galley to chat with the flight attendants and get a cup of coffee, and still making it downstairs to push the plane out 10 early.

Now THAT's an AirTran EMO. Really gets the blood flowing at 5:35 in the morning.  bigthumbsup 

graphic

Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:50 am

Yeah, last time I went flying I tossed my flight bag in the backseat, and after a quick but thorough preflight, I was off Big grin
Demand Media fails at life

airportugal310

Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:35 am

Its a game at numbers at Cape Air....but after a summer day...you have probably loaded the equivalent of 3 737-sized planes by yourself.

Numbers add up without you realizing it...One boring winter day I kept track of the bag weights for our planes (as called in by the ramp) and it totalled up to 3300 pounds of bags....which is interesting when we are talking 9-seat Cessna 402's

On a summer day....id put that number easily near 10,000 pounds....easily
I sell airplanes and airplane accessories

FighterPilot

Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:40 am

I do it everyday! Mind you the plane is only a DHC-2 Beaver  Wink

Cal  airplane 
*Insert Sound Of GE90 Spooling Up Here*

CWAFlyer

Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:45 am

Lots of Metros and Brasilias loaded by myself. I was young and could go the distance at the time.

swissy

Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:50 am

Quoting MattRB (Reply 8):
Dude! Why? Why kill yourself like that? Guaranteed had you injured yourself doing that, the company would've written you off.

Sometimes you have to do what you have to do..... no choice, did it to many times helping on 737-7 no fun 150-160 bags off and on... if I think about it now..... just plain st..... but back then, hell no bring it on. A lot changed since the whole LCC crap started airlines want to pay less and less for ramp services and the ramp guys have to pay for it.

Cheers,

dispatcher

Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:10 am

Used to do it all the time at Great Lakes (United Express), of course it was only a BE-1900! Heck, I was the ticket agent, CSA, baggage handler, security screener, de-icer, aircraft marshaler and whatever else needed to be done. Funniest was as I was sheparding the passengers to the plane (not having yet seen the flight crew) one of them asked quiet seriously and with bit of a worried look on his face, "are you going to be flying us too?". Pretty funny and fun stuff back in the day.

airportugal310

Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:16 am

Quoting Dispatcher (Reply 17):
Funniest was as I was sheparding the passengers to the plane (not having yet seen the flight crew) one of them asked quiet seriously and with bit of a worried look on his face, "are you going to be flying us too?". Pretty funny and fun stuff back in the day.

Back in the day....heck....that stuff still happens everyday here at 9K. Its actually kind of gratifying...at least the people notice that your doing work and maybe appreciate it!
I sell airplanes and airplane accessories

charlienorth

Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:18 am

In 1981 I unloaded an ATA B720 by myself at MSP,a military charter (Minn Nat'l Guard) it was summer.laaate at night,no help,turned out a friend of mine was on it and said people were b(*&^%$g about how long it was taking,and he was saying "hey they probably only have one guy unloading it" .
Work hard fly right..don't understand it

smokeyrosco

Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:20 am

Loaded many ATR's a couple of 146's and the very odd (but light) MD-80 have started unloading aircraft on my own while I'm waiting for some muscle from another flight, don't ask me bag numbers because it's nearly a year now since I done that job, but there would often be 40 bags on the ATR's and upwards of 80 on the 146's.
John Hancock

fxra

Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:21 am

Well not quite by myself, I had a person on the tug bringing me the cans. I was the sole person on the main deck of a DC-10 a couple times. Not that it was as hard as you think, since the plane slopes down hill form the door, every pretty much rolls in place once you get the back 10 locked in. After the main deck was finished we did the same on the bellies.

We did have the problem of not having enough signatures on the paperwork... but we improvised. I'll leave it at that.
Visualize Whirled Peas

KELPkid

Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:36 am

Quoting FighterPilot (Reply 14):
do it everyday! Mind you the plane is only a DHC-2 Beaver Wink

Cal airplane

"Only" ?!?!?!?

Okay, serious case of envy here...I'd love to get my hands on a Beaver...especially one on floats Big grin

srbmod

Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:17 am

Once while at FL. Of course it was an extremely light flight in terms of passengers (The last flight on the ATL-TYS route on Saturdays usually had a dozen or so pax on it.).

At EV, multiple times a week, especially on the last flights of the night when we had three rampers left on the gate and three flights to load up at the same time. We'd each take an a/c to load and get the pushback hooked up to. One night while working on a different gate than the one I usually worked, I loaded an ATR-72 by myself (including the valet bags.).

san747

Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:59 am

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 10):

I loaded one by myself a couple weeks ago. I had just started my shift at 3:00pm and began working my first flight. I marshall it in, chock it...pull everything up all by myself. Look around wondering who is supposed to be with me on the gate. Look around for a supervisor in my zone. No one. Luckily the bag runner showed up so we took care of the offload. After that, I look around, not really caring if anyone shows up. There comes a time when you just get fed up with people not being where they are supposed to be, that you just say well, if we take a delay I don't care, I can only do so much as one person. So, I had a cart and a half to load (luckily that was all) and I began loading it...first the front, then the back. Get it all done, finish the paperwork on time and the flight is ready to go. I'm still looking around, wondering when someone, even a supervisor would show up. No one. Finally, a supervisor drives by and I flag him down. He didn't know who was supposed to be my partner so he got on the radio to find out. No luck, so he walks the flight out as I push.

Lack of communication on the part of the supervisors caused the other position at my gate to go uncovered.

So yes, to answer your question I have loaded a plane by myself.

[Edited 2007-04-12 21:37:33]

Jeez, man! That must've sucked! I don't have any horror stories yet, since I've only been working on the ramp since March 23rd, but I have had to offload bags on an MD-80 alone in the pit before... Not too bad, but you really gotta haul ass when there's no one else in there with you!
Scotty doesn't know...

JayDub

Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:06 am

Been there. 717 with almost 60 bags and a bunch of heavy cargo. I would load one box onto the beltloader...move it forward...load another...repeat. Then hop in the bin and stack as they came in.

[Edited 2007-04-13 04:09:45]
"Travel is only glamorous in retrospect." - Paul Theroux

MSYtristar
Topic Author

Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:13 am

Quoting JayDub (Reply 25):
I would load one box onto the beltloader...move it forward...load another...repeat. Then hop in the bin and stack as they came in.

Our belt loader was on the fritz so I put about 15 bags in at a time, jumped in, stacked them, put 15 more in, stacked them, etc. The bags weren't so bad, because you got a small one every now and again. The 50lb boxes of seafood were not too much fun.  Smile

nickstyro

Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:41 pm

If you have worked the ramp for any amount of time you will have encountered this situation. Just a few days ago I loaded A CRJ-700 with 107 bags, just a situation of too many flights and not enough people. And going back to my cargo days I managed to load a DC-8-73 top side to position 4 before I had any assistance (not including the driver pulling the cans to the K-loaded). All I can say is its just part of the job.

SpencerII

Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:36 pm

Used to do it all the time when I worked for SkyWest as a cross-utilized agent at an Idaho Station with SWM's and EM2's. They had the worst ground equipment at the time, and all I can say is I was sure glad Horizon Air also served the same station, cause if they didn't OO would have rarely got a flight in the air--from GPU's to DeIcing Trucks, to Bag Carts. QX had ground maintenance folks come in every 2 weeks or so, OO had one come in maybe twice a year from SLC, and stay for 2-3 hours. Always got a kick out of the higher ups from SGU who would make thair anual pilgrimage to the Station to let everyone see how great they thought they were.

It was amazing at SkyWest, with delayed bags. They would pay a ground service company $30-$50 to deliver a delayed bag, but would ask the agents who worked there if they would do it, and give them $5 to do it.

Avianca

Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:49 pm

well never did it personally, the only that I know that I can imagine that the workers on the ramp hat me as we often have relativly heavy cargo that is loaded manually (upto 250kgs) per piece...
Colombia es el Mundo Y el Mundo es Colombia

flyibaby

Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:55 pm

I just did this two weeks ago. I had back to back CRJ900s each with 125 bags. This can fit with no problem, but half of them were golf clubs. I got them loaded, wanted to pass out, and managed only to incur a 15 minute delay on the first, and a 20 minute delay on the other. It was just a case of having three aircraft on the ground when you are only scheduled to have one, but delays starting piling up and everything came in at once.

On a side note, a little over a year ago, a whole group of workers decided to stop showing to work, without notice. For three weeks in a row, because we were already short staffed, it was myself and one other person that had to perform a thorough overnight clean on 5 AA 757s, 2 MD80s, and 2 AE E145s. I remember our first plane came in at 2100ish, which we immediately started cleaning once the last passenger deplaned, and we didn't finish our last plane until about 10am. Nothing feels worse that only just finishing your fourth aircraft by 0500, and still having five more to go.....

I don't miss those days...

jetjeanes

Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:28 pm

with a 6 am arrival and 630 departure,, and the morning crews come in late your doing about 10 jobs at one fricking time in 30 minutes....that tells me they could cut half the ground crew. they came in half hung over or slept late,, and you cover for their ass
i can see for 80 miles

FighterPilot

Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:48 pm

Quoting KELPkid (Reply 22):
Okay, serious case of envy here...I'd love to get my hands on a Beaver...especially one on floats Big grin

Check this out: Day In The Life Of A Seaplane Dockhand - Pics (by FighterPilot Oct 12 2006 in Trip Reports)

I love my job!
Cal  airplane 
*Insert Sound Of GE90 Spooling Up Here*

N587NK

Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:03 pm

Quoting Dispatcher (Reply 17):
Used to do it all the time at Great Lakes (United Express), of course it was only a BE-1900! Heck, I was the ticket agent, CSA, baggage handler, security screener, de-icer, aircraft marshaler and whatever else needed to be done. Funniest was as I was sheparding the passengers to the plane (not having yet seen the flight crew) one of them asked quiet seriously and with bit of a worried look on his face, "are you going to be flying us too?". Pretty funny and fun stuff back in the day.

I've done that too along with the EMB120s. ZK didnt exactly have the best ground equipment either LOL

levent

Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:26 pm

I once loaded an Ilyushin Il-18 by myself, at Maastricht Airport. First with live chicks in the main cabin - thousands and thousands of them packed into boxes - and then boxes with bottles of something like Red Bull for animals - horses I believe - in the belly. All my colleagues were working on a Royal Jordanian 707 and Turkish Airlines 727, and the crew of the Il-18 had locked themselves up in the cockpit. It was hard work, but just the fact that I was sitting on an Ilyushin Il-18 made up for it.

tripleboom

Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:11 pm

Oh yeah. Most times out of OMA on the originating Airbus one agent goes with the first run of bags to the a/c. Loads all the cargo and bags they can.. stacking bags on top of bags onto the belt before sending them up. Jump on the beltloader, load the bags you've got, back down to the base, repeat. Then go back to the bag room to discover about 50 bags on the floor still requiring sorting, sort the bags, run back to the a/c, load all those and then see the rest of the ramp crew waltz out from working the counter just in time to wing walk. Rough day for them  bomb 

ekskycargo370

Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:13 pm

This topic does no surprise me,with all these handling agents out there these days trying to operate on a shoestring with skeleton staff manning levels.On a similar note in the cargo industry we have the same problems with warehouse staff and building up of cargo pallets and containers.

m404

Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:43 am

I thought those days were over but it's just not so. We see it all the time with regional carriers and especially ones that are worked by third party low bidders. People just don't show up 1) If the refrigerators full 2) If they had a party the night before. 3) Bad weather forcasted. 4) Heavy loads predicted. 5) Results of drug tests released 6) Just realized they didn't have to get minimum wage and do less. 7) Pretty much anything else. That leaves the ones who aren't that pissed off yet to work alone.
Less sarcasm and more thought equal better understanding

KELPkid

Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:09 am

Quoting FighterPilot (Reply 32):
Check this out: Day In The Life Of A Seaplane Dockhand - Pics (by FighterPilot Oct 12 2006 in Trip Reports)

I love my job!
Cal airplane

I can see why. I think I'd love it too  Wink

antoniemey

Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:19 am

Hrm... well, I've loaded a few light CRJs by myself...

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 7):
Nope, but I UNLOADED one.

I didn't do that quite by myself, but unloaded and loaded a 757 in the pouring rain with just myself and the supervisor once... that was fun.
Make something Idiot-proof, and the Universe will make a more inept idiot.

hiflyer

Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:33 am

Ahh yes...one man loading. Best thing about open bag carts and the ol 727. Just back the ol cart up to the cargo door and stand on the cart and just heave to the back wall...and keep on going walking on the cart to and from the door.

Used to do 747sp's with just one other guy. Then again...no bulk pit and just container load...fairly easy...just worried about the ttl weight and coming as close as you could. Spent most of the time avoiding the wingtips as that was where the fuel overflow was and most days it was fuel till it spilled...no problem...50 gal drums on wheels with long goosenecks and a funnel at the top stationed right below the overflow worked most of the time.

L-188

Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:41 am

Cod Milt and Salmon roe. Do I need to say more?

I haven't had to do a 727 or 737 by myself, but I have been down to the point where there where only 3 of us to work the flight, which included bags, passengers and a topside load on a combi.

I have done 737QC interior reconfigurations with two people, and a mechanic who claimed the union only allowed him to push down the mouting plates and sign it off.

But I have done a lot of work with Metros/Casa212 and other similar sized aircraft by myself.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

HPRamper

Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:57 pm

Quoting AirTran737 (Reply 5):
I would put ten bags at a time on the belt loader, jump in the bin, shoot them up to myself, get out and do it again.

I've done it with a CR9 many times using the exact technique described by AirTran737  Smile After that I'd close 'er up, and then go bring down the carrydowns and put them in #1 and #2. Fun times especially in the summer heat.

callsigncitrus

Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:49 pm

ahhhh yes the joy of too many flights with very few people. I too have loaded bags the way AirTran737 spoke of. He might have even showed me a trick or two at some point. Dont ya just wish every plane had a magic carpet in it?

N587NK

Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:38 pm

Also ZKs last day in APN we worked a charter TZ 727 to LAS. Myself and my station manager loaded the bags on a hot september day(hot and september in northern michigan usually dont go together either) And of course with just having the Beech 1900s in APN we didnt have the equipment to do it(belt loaders, large enough baggage carts) I loved it though, I was in heaven getting to ground handle a 727!!!!! Of course no one wanted to marshal it in, I volunteered for that. Man what a rush of addrenaline. Almost unbelievable when all you get are BE1s. Its too bad it wasnt the L1011 they used to have on those once a year charter flights!

legend11

Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:12 am

Back in the mid 70's I was working a Sunday for ZW in LAF, and for some reason we had extra sections running out of ORD. Had a DHC6 and 2 SW4's scheduled in the same 30 minute window. Knew this was coming so had all the pax checked in, bags tagged and ready to go.

Long story short, time from 1st aircrart in to last aircraft out was about 15 minutes- deplaned all pax and bags and boarded all pax and bags and blocked the last departure 15 minutes after the first aircraft arrived,

Decided that was an experience I would rather not havve to repeat.....