4holer
Topic Author

Last Convair-880s Being Scrapped

Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:21 am

Looks like Lost Birds finally gave up the fight.
They remaining 880s are being scrapped.
http://www.convairjet.com/

I knew the odds were against them, but this is still sad.
Ghosts appear and fade away.....................

B6JFKH81

RE: Last Convair-880s Being Scrapped

Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:05 am

Wow, that is very sad. I was at my in-law's for Easter and we wound up playing a few games of cards and my mother-in-law took out at set "that would make me happy". It was a set from TWA with pictures of the Convair 880 on the front of each card. It is always sad to see a fleet type's life come to an end. Hopefully some will stay in museums.
"If you do not learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it"

Viscount724

Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:54 am

I wonder how many (if any) 880s and 990s have been preserved apart from the ex-DL 880 used by Elvis Presley and now on display at Graceland, and the ex-Swissair 990 at the Swiss transport museum in Lucerne, Switzerland, where it's been for 32 years?

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Stephen B. Aranha
View Large View Medium

Photo © Bob Garrard

View Large View Medium

Photo © Chris Waser
View Large View Medium

Photo © Alfons Züllig

View Large View Medium

Photo © Jean-David Duc

rampkontroler

Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:36 am

You'd almost think that in this day and age, the scrapping companies would recognize the potential historic and emotional value of these aircraft above and beyond the value of the scrap metal. They can't be taking up so much space that they need to make room...It's just too bad, and very sad.

rikkus67

Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:46 am

There was a previous thread about the emminent scrapping, after a last ditch sale on eBay proved unobtainable. A couple of Anetters suggested starting a fund raiser to save the Convairs. Again, too little, too late.

Reminds me of an even more obscure airliner slightly older than the 880.... less than half the size, and would have been able to fit in easier to existing airports at the time. Only the nose is left at the National Aviation Museum in Canada....

Big version: Width: 800 Height: 600 File size: 99kb
AC.WA.CP.DL.RW.CO.WG.WJ.WN.KI.FL.SK.ACL.UA.US.F9

CV880

Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:25 am

Sure was nice riding those rockets, as well as the DC-8-33's.

IFlyTWA

Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:52 am

It's a real shame that they decided to scrap Ship 3.

Are these A/C still around?

View Large View Medium

Photo © David Oates

View Large View Medium

Photo © Royal S King
View Large View Medium

Photo © David Oates

View Large View Medium

Photo © Christian Hauser

"To express the excitement of travel" - Eero Saarinen

United_fan

Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:08 am

I can't say that I'm surprised...I had my doubts when they announced thier intent to restore one to flying status . I'm not saying it can't be done,but it would be extremely expensive and labor intensive.Plus,where do you get the parts ? Let alone people that know how to work on a Convair?
Champagne For My Real Friends,and Real Pain For My Sham Friends

isitsafenow

Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:40 am

Ship 40 was scrapped a few years back. That one hurt.
It was my first Jet ride 6-18-61 ORD -MKC as N830TW, Flight 115.
safe
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

OPNLguy

Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:49 am

NASA used two have two Convairs. I know one burned up back in the 1980s after a particularly ugly aborted takeoff out west (EDW? SBD? VCV?), but does anyone know if they still have the other one, either active (doubtful) or stored?
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

CV880

Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:33 pm

Was a treat to watch these planes (Delta) take off from CLT runway 18L-36R back in the '60's for JFK and ATL. I believe the runway was about 1000' shorter at the time (about 7800'), and the 880's would use most of it. Those parked in the lot at the north end (adjacent to the runway threshold) would hear a deafening roar/blast during takeoff in either direction.

gunsontheroof

Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:40 pm

Quoting Rampkontroler (Reply 3):
You'd almost think that in this day and age, the scrapping companies would recognize the potential historic and emotional value of these aircraft above and beyond the value of the scrap metal.

Not really. They are after all, businesses. If they're going to make more money off scrap metal than museum pieces, the birds are going to the chopping block.

cio666

Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:34 pm

Quoting OPNLguy (Reply 9):

Quoting OPNLguy (Reply 9):
NASA used two have two Convairs. I know one burned up back in the 1980s after a particularly ugly aborted takeoff out west (EDW? SBD? VCV?), but does anyone know if they still have the other one, either active (doubtful) or stored?

The other NASA 990 was retired and is now on display in front of Mojave airport. There's a photo of it in an earlier post in this thread. Mojave has another 990 (at least as of 06) used for kids tours and commercials. A security guard let me inside of this 990 in '04 and the interior is in pretty good shape. Lisa Marie, the Elvis Presley 880, may end up being the sole survivor of its type.

boeing767mech

Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:10 pm

All the CV880/990's in the photos posted in this thread are still in MHV and ELP, Ship 23 is now a pile of metal. The Fuselage forward of the wing box was saved and will be going to its birthplace to a museum in San Diego. Ship #3 was saved wing box forward is going to a museum in Atlanta. And Ship 13 is still intact but is going to be scrapped there is a rumour the scrapper is going to put it up on Ebay.

David
Team Convair 880
www.convairjet.com
Never under-estimate the predictably of stupidty

DH106

Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:56 pm

Quoting Boeing767mech (Reply 13):
Lisa Marie, the Elvis Presley 880, may end up being the sole survivor of its type.

There's another 880 still preserved outside Lisbon Airport, Portugal. N8806E.

On the 990 front, ex Spantax EC-BZO is still extant & complete (but poor condition) at a remote corner of Palma Airport, Majorca, and 2 fuselages are in use elsewhere in Spain as cabin trainers.
...I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate....

rampkontroler

Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:50 pm

Quoting Gunsontheroof (Reply 11):
Quoting Rampkontroler (Reply 3):
You'd almost think that in this day and age, the scrapping companies would recognize the potential historic and emotional value of these aircraft above and beyond the value of the scrap metal.

Not really. They are after all, businesses. If they're going to make more money off scrap metal than museum pieces, the birds are going to the chopping block.

Exactly my point...I know they are a business and the planes are worth scrap $$'s...that's a given. But I can't believe that there somehow isn't a little MORE value in sentiment and history sometimes. I guess I'm just a sentimental fool and it's time to put the dogs to sleep.  Sad

IFlyTWA

Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:49 am

All the CV880/990's in the photos posted in this thread are still in MHV and ELP, Ship 23 is now a pile of metal. The Fuselage forward of the wing box was saved and will be going to its birthplace to a museum in San Diego. Ship #3 was saved wing box forward is going to a museum in Atlanta. And Ship 13 is still intact but is going to be scrapped there is a rumour the scrapper is going to put it up on Ebay.

Thank you.

BTW What I meant to say in that thread was that it's sad that Ship 13 is going to be scrapped. Do you know what's going to happen to Ship 35?

Quoting Rampkontroler (Reply 15):
Exactly my point...I know they are a business and the planes are worth scrap $$'s...that's a given. But I can't believe that there somehow isn't a little MORE value in sentiment and history sometimes.

I understand that they are a business and need to make money, but when there is a minimal amount of these planes around and none are flying it's sad that no one has stepped forward with the cash to preserve one of them.
"To express the excitement of travel" - Eero Saarinen

SBN580

Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:38 am

The other NASA 990 was retired and is now on display in front of Mojave airport.

I am glad to hear she found some kind of home. It is too bad though she could not have stayed at NASA Dryden on display. It was exciting to work with the 990 back in the 90's on the Space Shuttle main landing gear testing. What fun!  Big grin
North Central: Good People Made Their Airline Great! FLY MD-90 POWER! Keep 'em Flying DELTA Family!

KELPkid

Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:51 am

All the CV880/990's in the photos posted in this thread are still in MHV and ELP

So the former Denver Ports of Call CV-990 at ELP got a reprieve  Wink I'd heard she'd been sold to some scrappers as well...
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

AirEMS

Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:09 am

David
Team Convair 880

David I would just like to say thank you for trying to save a great looking aircraft! I wish I had a large sum of money to buy this historic bird but alas I don't.. It's really hard to try to explain to people who are not avid aircraft fans why planes like the 880 / 990 need to be saved if not for aesthetic purposes but for historic and sentimental reasons... Although I never got to fly on one of the Convair hot rods my father who worked on 340 / 440 / and his ultimate favorite aircraft of all time the 580 said:

"If the 580 can perform the way it does God only knows what those (880 / 990) things can do"

He also said that you could follow them for miles by the exhaust trail they left when departing the old DEN

So again thank you for trying to save a piece of history!

-Carl
If Your Dying Were Flying

boeing767mech

Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:18 pm

Quoting KELPkid (Reply 18):
So the former Denver Ports of Call CV-990 at ELP got a reprieve I'd heard she'd been sold to some scrappers as well

I personally would say my Employers former AAirplane got a reprieve. I would love to see it restored back to the AstroJet paint scheme it was delivered in.

David
Never under-estimate the predictably of stupidty

OPNLguy

Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:48 pm

Looks like this guy has some Convair parts.... If you can't get a whole one, maybe a piece of one will do... Check his other auctions, as he has several pieces. (Not connected to him in any way).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Conva...categoryZ26439QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

KELPkid

Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:41 pm

Quoting Boeing767mech (Reply 20):
I personally would say my Employers former AAirplane got a reprieve. I would love to see it restored back to the AstroJet paint scheme it was delivered in.

David

Heck, it would be a nice gift to the city of El Paso restored to her former AstroJet glory, especially considering that AA (under the guise of Standard Aviation) built ELP in 1929...  Wink
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

ThirtyEcho

Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:02 pm

A friend once asked me if jet airliners had gotten slower, over the years, rather than faster; I had to answer, "yes."

The demise of the 880 was a turning point in airline history. After decades of speed being king, tonnage of passengers hauled ruled the skies. Speed-be-damned, service-be-damned, cram the sardines in the can, push back and ground stop 'em on a taxiway for 10 hours, if needed.

The era of speed officially died wjth the demise of the Concorde. I fully expect that Zeppelins, cruising at 70kts but carrying 1,500 passengers packed in containers, to be the next big thing over the Atlantic.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos