USAirways304
Topic Author

Whats Going On At PIT?

Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:56 am

Anyone have an idea about the future plans at PIT? US Airways has increased some flights, but yet many gates remain unused (E Concourse is a ghost town). Anyone heard of any possible hub plans by other carriers?

PITSpeedbird

RE: Whats Going On At PIT?

Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:55 am

There has been a recent thread about goings on at my hometown airport.

A new hub would be great!! But I would settle for increased service on WN.

Once again - the X structure makes connections a breeze. Here's to increased service at PIT!

- PITSpeedbird
you leave. Arrive before

steeler83

Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:12 pm

Quoting USAirways304 (Thread starter):
Anyone have an idea about the future plans at PIT? US Airways has increased some flights, but yet many gates remain unused (E Concourse is a ghost town). Anyone heard of any possible hub plans by other carriers?

I highly doubt any new carrier or existing carrier is interested in hubbing at PIT or opening another focus city at the very least... The E concourse a ghost town? Part of it is non-existant. At least it was removed for expansion of the baggage system. Many of us on here are really starting to wonder about that. PITSpeedbird, I probably found my equal on here in you! I just looked at your profile and you're not much older than I am. Boy do I hope you consider staying out there. Pittsburgh could use young passionate minds like you (and me, if I ever move back out there...) My blood flows black and gold and pretty much anything Pittsburgh. I really want that city to become something special again... badly!

Anyway, back to the topic... Delta looks to be beefing up service there, but I think they'll be pretty much maxed out when SLC service goes MD90 and with 757 service to ATL and 738 service to CVG. I can't believe DL's service at PIT. I am sure ridership on DL will only increase further. They have been showing a month-2-month increase in pax IIRC... Again, I don't see ASA or anyone (Republic) flying any regional routes for DL at PIT any time soon...

Boy would that be saaaaaaaWEEET to see tho!
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

luketenley

Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:18 pm

Quoting USAirways304 (Thread starter):

Here is the link to the main PIT thread right now.

Rumor: US To Add More Flights To PIT (by Luketenley Mar 26 2007 in Civil Aviation)

E Gates hasn't been used for a few years. The northern most wing was torn down last week actually to make room for a new baggage facility. Pics are available in the link above. You'll have to scroll down of course. I took them from gate D85. As far as future plans... we have that new Myrtle Beach Direct Air and another express- like airline starting flights to Morgantown I think. Just heard that today. I guess it was in a newspaper somewhere.. either Post Gazette or Beaver County Times. DL is upgrading 3 destinations. The newly started SLC flights will now be on a MD90 instead of a CRJ- 900. An ATL flight will be a 757 and a CVG will now be a 737. WN has just added BWI service and remodeled gate A5. Rumors are going around now about US adding 40- some flights and possibly adding a Frankfurt international frequency. No definate info on those though. If you need more info, send me a PM.

[Edited 2007-04-14 07:23:38]
Pittsburgh International Airport lover

steeler83

Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:26 pm

Quoting Luketenley (Reply 3):
we have that new Myrtle Beach Direct Air and another express- like airline starting flights to Morgantown I think.

Morgantown, Parkersburg and Clarksburg via Colgan Air Saab340Bs.

DL is upgrading 3 destinations. The newly started SLC flights will now be on a MD90 instead of a CRJ- 900. An ATL flight will be a 757 and a CVG will now be a 737.

All of this upgraded service on DL, as I said in another thread, would be supremely sweet! It would be like it was in the good ol' days of decent pax crowds at PIT!

Rumors are going around now about US adding 40- some flights and possibly adding a Frankfurt international frequency. No definate info on those though.

I think this would be incredible if in fact it does wind up happening!
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

N670UW

Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:28 pm

Why do I sense this becoming another 100+ reply PIT thread?  Wink

e have that new Myrtle Beach Direct Air and another express- like airline starting flights to Morgantown I think

They're flying to Myrtle Beach...hence the name.  Wink I believe they'll share D79 with Continental and fly 737-200's to MYR a couple times a week. I know they're also flying to EWR and IAG from MYR.

luketenley

Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:30 pm

Quoting N670UW (Reply 5):
They're flying to Myrtle Beach...hence the name. I believe they'll share D79 with Continental and fly 737-200's to MYR a couple times a week. I know they're also flying to EWR and IAG from MYR.

The Morgantown flights was meant for the express airline, not Myrtle Beach Direct Air. I know there they fly to. HAHA

N670UW

Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:35 pm

Quoting Luketenley (Reply 6):
The Morgantown flights was meant for the express airline, not Myrtle Beach Direct Air. I know there they fly to. HAHA

LOL.

The US Express carrier is Colgan taking over the EAS routes to MGW, CKB, and PKB that RegionsAir abandoned/was forced from. Air Midwest used to fly those routes.

steeler83

Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:43 pm

Why do I sense this becoming another 100+ reply PIT thread?

Euuuh... not sure bud. I wonder why you sense that as well  Smile

Quoting N670UW (Reply 7):
Colgan taking over the EAS routes to MGW, CKB, and PKB that RegionsAir abandoned/was forced from.

When I hear that routes were discontinued, I think of loads or yields. It turns out that Regions Air had a lousey product/performance on the route because of who they were; not because of the CLE service. I do not remember the specifics of the problem with Regions Air, other than just that, they were horrible. Hopefully Colgan can make it work...

luketenley

Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:47 pm

Why do I sense this becoming another 100+ reply PIT thread?

Alot of us PIT supporters around!

steeler83

Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:54 pm

Quoting Luketenley (Reply 9):

And many of us who are supremely vocal over PIT... yours truely, Luke, CentPIT, PITSpeedbird, PITrules is another one I believe...

I wonder if we're all fans of the Steelers, Pirates and Pens, too. Luke, I know you are! Reason being... we're all so loyal to PIT  Smile

atlaaron

Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:02 pm

Well again for those of you that don't know, I live the same distance from PIT, CLE, CAK. When I first moved back here in December PIT was the cheapest in almost every market I was searching and booking, so I flew PIT. Well I had to book two more trips today and CLE was cheaper, so I booked CLE. Yesterday I flew on CAK because they were the only ones who had a seat open from Boston . . .

Anyhow PIT is a fantastic airport and is certainly my pick of three as it is extremely easy to navigate, never too crowded (but not a ghost town like CAK), and parking is excellent.

How long is DL running that 757 to ATL? I was doing some searches on their schedule and I did not see it. I fly back to ATL quite often but most recently booked on CO to ATL from CLE. The expressjet service to ATL is always quite reliable with a decent fare and an A seat by itself.

Anyhow, add me to the camp of hoping for expansion at PIT (along with low fares). I do worry though that PIT might chase B6 out of town which will cost us . . . literally. I would also love to see FL expansion but I doubt that is unlikely seeing their original experience at PIT, however one should note that a lot has changed since then.

Here's to PIT!!  trophy 

luketenley

Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:30 pm

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 10):
And many of us who are supremely vocal over PIT... yours truely, Luke, CentPIT, PITSpeedbird, PITrules is another one I believe...

I wonder if we're all fans of the Steelers, Pirates and Pens, too. Luke, I know you are! Reason being... we're all so loyal to PIT

Need to start some sort of group somewhere for us all to discuss stuff instead of clogging a.net with our wishing haha.

And yeah I am a lover of all those sports teams... just wish our Buccos could do better!

BigJimFX

Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:53 pm

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 10):
Quoting Luketenley (Reply 9):

I wonder if we're all fans of the Steelers, Pirates and Pens, too. Luke, I know you are! Reason being... we're all so loyal to PIT Smile

Add me to that list. I love PIT. I grew up in JST and my family moved to DFW. Granted I'm not up there anymore to keep track of things as much as I'd like... and I have another airport to look after now... But I try to keep up with some of the goings on here on A.net. I so miss the days of direct service to PIT from DFW. Even on the E-170 operated by the now bankrupt MidAtlantic. I'm a huge Steelers fan, kind of a Penguin fan and... eh... Kinda a Pirate fan. (I can't get into baseball unless I'm there.) I remember the days of Greater Pittsburgh Airport (Kinda... I'm a young buck) But I love PIT. I do miss the past glory and am sickened by the change to a focus city. I just wish there was more I can do other than booking flights through PIT. You guys are great for helping to keep me in the loop and I appreciate it. Thanks guys!
I'd like to thank me for flying Me Airways...

PITSpeedbird

Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:43 pm

Quoting ATLAaron (Reply 11):
never too crowded (but not a ghost town like CAK), and parking is excellent.

Quoting BigJimFX (Reply 13):
kind of a Penguin fan and...

well lets hope it does get more crowded!

Add BA service to my wish list! I lived in London for 12 years. Boy I wish I was here when the old 747 used to
come here!

Big game tonite! Its time for all the fair weather hockey fans to come out of the woodwork (cough cough!)

PITSpeedbird
you leave. Arrive before

luketenley

Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:48 pm

Add me to that list. I love PIT. I grew up in JST and my family moved to DFW. Granted I'm not up there anymore to keep track of things as much as I'd like... and I have another airport to look after now... But I try to keep up with some of the goings on here on A.net. I so miss the days of direct service to PIT from DFW. Even on the E-170 operated by the now bankrupt MidAtlantic. I'm a huge Steelers fan, kind of a Penguin fan and... eh... Kinda a Pirate fan. (I can't get into baseball unless I'm there.) I remember the days of Greater Pittsburgh Airport (Kinda... I'm a young buck) But I love PIT. I do miss the past glory and am sickened by the change to a focus city. I just wish there was more I can do other than booking flights through PIT. You guys are great for helping to keep me in the loop and I appreciate it. Thanks guys!

Well welcome to the new PIT supporters group! haha

steeler83

Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:00 am

Quoting PITSpeedbird (Reply 14):
Add BA service to my wish list! I lived in London for 12 years. Boy I wish I was here when the old 747 used to
come here!

I was up close and personal with a Boeing 744 some time in 1993 before BA reduced their 744 service to 767. The bird was parked at C61, all the way at the end of the concourse. I just remember having to look up to see the cockpit, and those enormous engines!!

I remember the days of Greater Pittsburgh Airport (Kinda... I'm a young buck)

I have a vivid memory of that terminal, and you're not that young!!! We're about the same age...

I would also love to see FL expansion but I doubt that is unlikely seeing their original experience at PIT, however one should note that a lot has changed since then.

I don't think FL will do any expansion at all... They had a big window of opportunity in 2004 to add service, but WN beat 'em to it... Even at that, I don't think FL was interested anyway. I think they turned their focus to other cities to and from their ATL base...

Quoting Luketenley (Reply 12):
just wish our Buccos could do better!

The WERE doing better!! I don't know what the deal was against St. Louis!!! We're back below 500 now... our uusual selves...  sarcastic 

Quoting PITSpeedbird (Reply 14):
Big game tonite! Its time for all the fair weather hockey fans to come out of the woodwork (cough cough!)

Yeah, I don't want to see our team out of the game after the first round!

luketenley

Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:23 am

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 16):
I don't think FL will do any expansion at all... They had a big window of opportunity in 2004 to add service, but WN beat 'em to it... Even at that, I don't think FL was interested anyway. I think they turned their focus to other cities to and from their ATL base...

Plus they have a decent operation in CAK.

steeler83

Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:58 am

Quoting Luketenley (Reply 17):
Plus they have a decent operation in CAK.

They serve BOS, LGA, ATL, MCO, Tampa, Ft. Lauderdale, and Ft. Myers. That's quite a presence there at CAK. A PIT build up of FL would likely canibalize CAK in my opinion...

masseybrown

Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:11 am

Well again for those of you that don't know, I live the same distance from PIT, cle, CAK.

What do you do with your car (assuming that's how you get to/from airports)? I have a similar problem with BWI, DCA, and IAD all being about a 40-minute drive; arriving at one airport when my car is at another is a huge pain.

USAirways304
Topic Author

Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:36 am

[
Colgan taking over the EAS routes to MGW, CKB, and PKB that RegionsAir abandoned/was forced from.

When I hear that routes were discontinued, I think of loads or yields. It turns out that Regions Air had a lousey product/performance on the route because of who they were; not because of the CLE service. I do not remember the specifics of the problem with Regions Air, other than just that, they were horrible. Hopefully Colgan can make it work...[/quote]

The airport authorities in MGW, CKB, and PKB got together and decided they were unhappy with the 5 flights a day to PIT (Beech 1900D) with Air Midwest. So, they thought they would find another carrier to fly a larger aircraft (flight attendant and lavatory) with the same number of flights. The airport authorities thought more people would fly if they had an opportunity to use the restroom during the 25 minute flight to PIT. RegionsAir started service with a SF3 to Cleveland. US Airways would not codeshare with them. So a 25 minute flight, turned into a 1 hr 45 minute flight with a connection. You can imagine the increase in fare as well. Instead of spending some marketing dollars while Air Midwest was operating, they chose to completely screw up the system.

atlaaron

Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:03 am

Quoting MasseyBrown (Reply 19):
What do you do with your car

Normally I don't fly out of one and into another but in rare cases when I have to (like earlier this week) I have my wife drop me off and pick me up.

pit

Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:28 am

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 2):
I can't believe DL's service at PIT.

I just flew from PIT to JFK to TXL and From ZUR to ATL to PIT. Both PIT flights were overbooked.

steeler83

Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:04 pm

Quoting PIT" class=quote target=_blank>PIT (Reply 22):
Both PIT flights were overbooked.

PIT to JFK? Wow, and that is all RJ service I believe. What aircraft were you on for the ATL-PIT flight, was it an MD88?

BlueElephant

Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:24 pm

Rumors are going around now about US adding 40- some flights and possibly adding a Frankfurt international frequency.

Would be great to see an A330 Rotate off 28 R....again...
I Remember when i was 15 or 16 and i saw it Rotating...man...one of the best things i've ever seen.

By The way...just to introduce myself...haven't really posted anything on the PIT threads...but read them avidly...
Back in the day when the old terminal was around, my dad used to take me to the observation deck they had there?...anyone remember that?....like a room upstairs from the main concourse with big windows?...

Anyway...grew up in the Pittsburgh area ( South hills) and now here in Columbus, OH...Still an avid Steelers and Pens fan.

on another note...does anyone else think that Skybus would do Extremely well....in Pittsburgh?

P.S. GO PENS!

[Edited 2007-04-15 06:32:00]

captaink

Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:39 pm

Did my US Airways training in PIT, oh some 4/5 years ago. Not too long when you think about. During my job training I used to enjoy working the Envoy line during the afternoon international departures. I can't remmeber if they had London but I specifically remembered the FRA flight. PIT used to be quite busy in those days, and it is such a pleasant airport to be in. Such a shame how it all turned out.

What is the situation like with the ticket counters. Back in the day, US had half the counter space and the other shared what was left. With all the cuts, how was that sorted out?
There is something special about planes....

BigJimFX

Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:59 pm

Quoting USAirways304 (Reply 20):

Don't know about RegionsAir, and my knowledge of Air Midwest is just what I see here at DFW, but I have always been very impressed with the service I've received every time i fly colgan. I've never had a bad flight with them... A coupla bumpy ones... but it's always been good!
I'd like to thank me for flying Me Airways...

luketenley

Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:42 pm

Quoting Captaink (Reply 25):
What is the situation like with the ticket counters. Back in the day, US had half the counter space and the other shared what was left. With all the cuts, how was that sorted out?

US still uses that one whole section of the Landside building (the north end). On the opposite side of the ticket counters is the TSA baggage check areas. On the south end is all the other airlines. They use both sides of that end. Did US have more counters where the TSA bag check areas are now?

Quoting BlueElephant (Reply 24):
Would be great to see an A330 Rotate off 28 R....again...
I Remember when i was 15 or 16 and i saw it Rotating...man...one of the best things i've ever seen.

Would be so nice to see some heavies like that taking off again!

steeler83

Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:01 am

By The way...just to introduce myself...haven't really posted anything on the PIT threads...but read them avidly...

Well, welcome aboard the PIT threads!!!  Smile

Back in the day when the old terminal was around, my dad used to take me to the observation deck they had there?...anyone remember that?....like a room upstairs from the main concourse with big windows?...

Yeah, I remember that. I used to hang out there. I really remember there being an observation area off the parking lot that looked over towards the Continental, TWA gates. I also believe that is where the British Airways 747s used to park as well IIRC...

on another note...does anyone else think that Skybus would do Extremely well....in Pittsburgh?

I'd like to think that...  Smile

steeler83

Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:24 am

PIT's most recent traffic numbers are in:

http://www.pitairport.com/NewsEventsServlet

They show US Airways continuing to lose passengers year over year per month, while other airlines are expanding. Yet, the article only mentions that DL started service to SLC. Nothing was stated about DL announcing this service being upgraded to MD90 service. I suppose there will be a release about this in a few months or so, once the MD90 starts flying for SLC. Also, they're upgrading CVG and ATL service with a 738 and 757 frequency to the respective hubs.

I wonder when US' numbers will ultimately level off. Will this happen this year perhaps? Will US continue to see declines in pax numbers? This could be an interesting year for PIT and perhaps US in my opinion...

PITSpeedbird

Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:50 am

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 29):
I wonder when US' numbers will ultimately level off. Will this happen this year perhaps?

I am sure that this will happen this year with the increase in US flights out of PIT!!
(fingers crossed)

PITSpeedbird
you leave. Arrive before

luketenley

Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:32 am

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 29):
They show US Airways continuing to lose passengers year over year per month, while other airlines are expanding. Yet, the article only mentions that DL started service to SLC. Nothing was stated about DL announcing this service being upgraded to MD90 service. I suppose there will be a release about this in a few months or so, once the MD90 starts flying for SLC. Also, they're upgrading CVG and ATL service with a 738 and 757 frequency to the respective hubs.

They are pretty slow updating the site. Last update was March 1st. That's sad. Probably won't get the announcement of them upgrading till next April haha.

Quoting PITSpeedbird (Reply 30):
I am sure that this will happen this year with the increase in US flights out of PIT!!
(fingers crossed)

Keep them crossed!!

Flaps

Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:29 am

Whats happening right now is a lot of wind. I watched two WN 737's getting whipped on approach to 28L with nearly full aileron defelection in both directions. The UA 757 behind them faired a little better but not much.

steeler83

Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:30 am

Quoting Luketenley (Reply 31):
They are pretty slow updating the site. Last update was March 1st. That's sad.

ROYALLY sad! Ummm let's see, DL CRJ service on SLC-PIT going MD90 service within a few months... I'd say that is HUGE news!!! I was supremely disappointed to see how slow they are with news regarding their own operation...

Quoting Luketenley (Reply 31):
Quoting PITSpeedbird (Reply 30):
(fingers crossed)

Keep them crossed!!

Yes, do keep them crossed!! We can only hope!

atlaaron

Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:48 pm

I am concerned about the fares recently at PIT. I have booked three roundtrips in the last week all out of CLE because each route was cheaper than PIT, this was not the case a month ago. Particulary to MCO, CLE was half the cost. Hopefully this is just a temporary thing.

I am very excited to see FL's numbers up at PIT. I'm still holding onto hope that someday they will try expanding from PIT again. If not at least the increase in numbers should keep us from losing anything they are currently offering.

I found it interesting how much CO's numbers were up, did they add flights year over year or something? I love CO's service but if I am going to fly them I am going to drive to CLE for it. I hate the idea of that little puddle jumping flight from PIT-CLE on CO.

atlaaron

Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:24 pm

How can I find similar numbers for CLE? I searched their website but I could not find anything.

luketenley

Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:47 pm

Quoting ATLAaron (Reply 34):
I am concerned about the fares recently at PIT. I have booked three roundtrips in the last week all out of CLE because each route was cheaper than PIT, this was not the case a month ago. Particulary to MCO, CLE was half the cost. Hopefully this is just a temporary thing.

Which airlines were you looking at?

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 33):
ROYALLY sad! Ummm let's see, DL CRJ service on SLC-PIT going MD90 service within a few months... I'd say that is HUGE news!!! I was supremely disappointed to see how slow they are with news regarding their own operation...

If I was working there, I would have it updated.

Quoting Flaps (Reply 32):
Whats happening right now is a lot of wind. I watched two WN 737's getting whipped on approach to 28L with nearly full aileron defelection in both directions. The UA 757 behind them faired a little better but not much.

I was watching some Dash 8s take off this evening and it looked like that were barely moving. Almost completely stopped in mid- air.

atlaaron

Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:20 pm

Quoting Luketenley (Reply 36):
Which airlines were you looking at?

Basically all, because I start out my search on Expedia.

Logos

Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:51 pm

the observation deck they had there?...anyone remember that?.

I remember that as well. I can remember the old PIT airport before US put in that extra pier. My first flight into PIT was in 1974 on a TWA 727-100 when we went as a family to look for houses when we moved there.

grew up in the Pittsburgh area ( South hills)

So did I (after we moved there). Where did you go to high school?

Welcome to the PIT threads. I can't keep up with Steeler83 & the rest but, like you, I'm always reading.

Cheers,
Dave in Orlando
Too many types flown to list

steeler83

Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:34 pm

Quoting Logos (Reply 38):
I remember that as well. I can remember the old PIT airport before US put in that extra pier. My first flight into PIT was in 1974 on a TWA 727-100 when we went as a family to look for houses when we moved there.

Boy, that I do not remember. US built that pier in 1980-1981 after US changed their name from "Agony" Airlines to USAir. They'd be in need of more space for bigger service. Then, of course, they decided they'd eventually need a bigger terminal (the current PIT layout).

Anyway, rambling... the pier went in before I was born unfortunately. Wasn't 1974 around the same time TWA was building up PIT? They did have a fairly large operation IIRC reading the other threads. L1011s to ORD and LAX, didn't they? Did TWA have any international routes?

So did I (after we moved there). Where did you go to high school?

I'd like to know which part of the sahthills you grew up in, too. Yinz may have said but I forget. I was born and raised in Baldwin, lived there for 19 years and then moved out here to Lancaster to go to college. You can take the man out of Pittsburgh, but you can't take the Pittsburgh out of the man!  Smile

Quoting Flaps (Reply 32):
The UA 757 behind them faired a little better but not much.

Does UA's 757 do a LAX-PIT-LAX route?

Quoting Luketenley (Reply 36):
If I was working there, I would have it updated.

Ditto that for me too!

Welcome to the PIT threads. I can't keep up with Steeler83 & the rest

Yeah, we're too darned fast!  Smile

N670UW

Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:52 pm

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 39):
Does UA's 757 do a LAX-PIT-LAX route?

No, UA doesn't fly LAX-PIT. That 757 arrives from ORD (and returns to ORD). However, it will be switching to a ORD-PIT-DEN routing this summer.

atct

Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:57 pm

Quoting USAirways304 (Reply 20):
US Airways would not codeshare with them.

Yea thats because we werent planning on code-sharing with scareways...it was supposed to be Delta outta CVG originally. Get your facts straight.

Anywho im offended Ive never been brought up as a PIT follower! I was an avid PIT Forum guy for years, just now i just read since my employer moved me to Texas. Born and Raised in S.P., went to CCBC, flew outta Rostraver (FWQ) and Finleyville (G05)....

.....BlueElephant...theres a guy at Finleyville who still owes ya a Piper Cherokee 180 ride! (old friend)

Anywho I hope PIT sees some more service, but what PIT needs more than anything is industry. They need another major company to set up shop in the tri-state area to boost traffic and revenue. (or maybe a Heinz Expansion or Alcoa or somethin)

Anywho keep the blue side up and Go Pens!

ATCT
(Former Regions Air Sr. Flight Attendant)
Trikes are for kids!

Logos

Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:14 am

Wasn't 1974 around the same time TWA was building up PIT?

They did have a pretty good sized operation at that time. The flight we came in on was routed DEN-ORD-PIT (actually in 1975, now that I think about it) and we returned on a 707 routed PIT-STL-DEN. Later I flew TWA from DEN-PIT nonstop on another 727-100 in the summer of 1977. TWA also had flights to LGA, JFK, PHL and (I believe) EWR at points. There were the occasional L-1011. My dad once flew a UA DC-10 from DTW-PIT about that time as well. Those were the days at PIT!

I'd like to know which part of the sahthills you grew up in, too

I grew up in Scott Township (my dad still lives there) and went to Chartiers Valley HS. A long time ago.

Cheers,
Dave in Orlando

steeler83

Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:02 am

Quoting N670UW (Reply 40):
No, UA doesn't fly LAX-PIT. That 757 arrives from ORD (and returns to ORD). However, it will be switching to a ORD-PIT-DEN routing this summer.

Oh. Someone told me it was... I guess the facts aren't straight...

Quoting ATCT (Reply 41):
Anywho im offended Ive never been brought up as a PIT follower! I was an avid PIT Forum guy for years, just now i just read since my employer moved me to Texas. Born and Raised in S.P.,

You're right. You have been on the PIT threads quite frequently over the past year, at least as long as I have been around here! What is "S.P?" Is that South Park? Say 'hello' to Cartman, Kyle, Stan, and Ken for me  Smile

Quoting Logos (Reply 42):
Those were the days at PIT!

Yeah, and emphasize the word, "THOSE..." Unfortunately that was before I was even born. Man... go figure, I come into the world and the party ends... Sad

Quoting Logos (Reply 42):
I grew up in Scott Township (my dad still lives there) and went to Chartiers Valley HS. A long time ago.

Wow. I know where Scott Twp is at. That's all the way down Connor Rd from Rt. 19 in Upper St. Clair. It's just to the West of Upper St. Clair if I recall, right?

luketenley

Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:04 am

Quoting N670UW (Reply 40):

I could've swore the monitors said UA had a LAX flight.

Quoting ATLAaron (Reply 37):
Basically all, because I start out my search on Expedia.

I could see US having high fares but not WN and some others. Has to be temporary.

N670UW

Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:51 am

Quoting Luketenley (Reply 44):
I could've swore the monitors said UA had a LAX flight.

Maybe it was a UA codeshare on the US flight. I believe those monitors usually flash the codeshare numbers along with the regular flight numbers.

luketenley

Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:58 am

Quoting N670UW (Reply 45):
Maybe it was a UA codeshare on the US flight. I believe those monitors usually flash the codeshare numbers along with the regular flight numbers.

I just know it is a UA 757 with the destination of Los Angeles. Not sure the codeshare.

vega

Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:34 am

Quoting Luketenley (Reply 46):
I just know it is a UA 757 with the destination of Los Angeles. Not sure the codeshare.

UA only uses 737s and CRJs for PIT and does not offer any non-stops or through flights to either LAX or SFO. The equipment may have been a 1 time substitution on a PIT - ORD, or PIT - DEN flight, or a substitution on a UA coded US Airways PIT-LAX flight, which is doubtful. Additionally UA sometimes displays the 2nd leg of a desirable route and it's aircraft as a separate entity, when in fact it is the connecting flight. If you examine the display carefully, you'll usually find the actual feeder flight (PIT-ORD or PIT-DEN) with the correct equipment (CRJ or 737).

[Edited 2007-04-17 23:52:39]
We are but a moment in this vast Universe and when gone we will never have existed.

luketenley

Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:57 am

Quoting Vega (Reply 47):
UA only uses 737s and CRJs for PIT and does not offer any non-stops or through flights to either LAX or SFO. The equipment may have been a 1 time substitution on a PIT - ORD, or PIT - DEN flight, or a substitution on a UA coded US Airways PIT-LAX flight, which is doubtful. Additionally UA sometimes displays the 2nd leg of a desirable route and it's aircraft as a separate entity, when in fact it is the connecting flight. If you examine the display carefully, you'll usually find the actual feeder flight (PIT-ORD or PIT-DEN) with the correct equipment (CRJ or 737).

The UA 757 is there 6 days a week (Sun- Fri). What' the explaination for that one?

Logos

Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:07 am

Quoting Luketenley (Reply 48):
The UA 757 is there 6 days a week (Sun- Fri). What' the explaination for that one?

I'm just guessing, but could it be a routing like LAX-ORD-PIT or PIT-ORD-LAX where it would show Los Angeles as a terminal point on a direct flight but it's not a nonstop. I know the flight boards down here at MCO do that all the time.

Cheers,
Dave in Orlando