deltaffindfw

Hail At DFW?

Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:51 am

Channel 8 was reporting that there was possibly 3" size hail at DFW with this storm that is moving through now.

Is anyone stuck there and see anything?

GQfluffy

RE: Hail At DFW?

Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:01 am

I see there's a Tornado Warning going up now...
This isn't where I parked my car...

Mikey711MN

Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:03 am

Well, I'm not there, but I believe it. Forecasts have called for strong storms throughout Texas this evening, and there is a powerful squal line that is passing through the Metroplex at present.

Should be a windy, rainy, severe night for many Texans.

I would imagine, however, that if 3" hail did, in fact, hit the airport, we'll see some serious damage to planes there.

-Mike
I plan on living forever. So far, so good...

Tan Flyr

Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:04 am

FOX NEWS just showed baseball sized hail from the Dallas Area.

asuflyer05

Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:07 am

The Fox affiliate in Phoenix is reporting a tornado on the ground just west of the city.

Mikey711MN

Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:13 am

First pictures coming in on The Weather Channel (mmm...Stephanie Abrams!), and here's the text of the current Tornado Warning...

SEVERE WEATHER STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE FORT WORTH TX
652 PM CDT FRI APR 13 2007

TXC113-140015-
/O.CON.KFWD.TO.W.0014.000000T0000Z-070414T0015Z/
DALLAS TX-
652 PM CDT FRI APR 13 2007

...A TORNADO WARNING REMAINS AT Macedonian Airlines (Greece)">IN EFFECT UNTIL 715 PM CDT FOR NORTHERN
DALLAS COUNTY...

AT 652 PM CDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE METEOROLOGISTS WERE
MONITORING A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WITH A HISTORY OF PRODUCING ONE OR
MORE TORNADOES. STRONG ROTATION WAS LOCATED NEAR AND JUST EAST OF
DOWNTOWN DALLAS....MOVING EAST AT 35 MPH ALONG I-30. THIS SEVERE
THUNDERSTORM MAY PRODUCE ANOTHER TORNADO AT ANY TIME!

OTHER LOCATIONS AT Macedonian Airlines (Greece)">IN THE WARNING INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO
GARLAND...SACHSE...BALCH SPRINGS...MESQUITE...ROWLETT AND SUNNYVALE

TAKE COVER ON THE LOWEST FLOOR OF YOUR HOME AT Macedonian Airlines (Greece)">IN AN INTERIOR CLOSET OR
BATHROOM. USE BLANKETS OR PILLOWS FOR COVER.

AT Macedonian Airlines (Greece)">IN ADDITION TO TORNADOES...BASEBALL SIZE HAIL AND DAMAGING WINDS ARE
LIKELY WITH THIS STORM OVER MUCH OF NORTHERN DALLAS COUNTY. SEEK
SHELTER IF YOU ARE AT Macedonian Airlines (Greece)">IN THE PATH OF THIS STORM NOW!

LAT...LON 3300 9694 3298 9652 3277 9652 3269 9652
3269 9680 3272 9685 3272 9693 3273 9693
I plan on living forever. So far, so good...

Indy

Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:26 am

I'm posting pics right now that a friend sent me from Ft. Worth, TX. That is some strange looking hail.

http://www.climatepatrol.com/forum/48/2480/pg1/index.php
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air

chris133

Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:47 am

Had hail the size of coffee cups here in northern Dallas. Just glad i didn't lose any windows. DFW was reporting softball size hail on the airfield. Does anyone have an update on A/C damage at DFW. I know that WN only had 2 planes on the ground (excluding MX hanger) at DAL

stillageek

Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:48 am

[img]http://www.airliners.net/uf/view.file?id=536924161&filename=11765113680WE62d.jpg[img]

I live 5 miles SW of DFW airport. I got golf ball sized hail at my house...quite a pounding for about 5 minutes. No damage.

First time posting a photo....still trying to figure it out  Wink

Indy

Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:53 am

I don't know how you guys in Texas do it. I was in Ft. Worth a couple of years ago and you'd see cars driving around on occasion that looked like they had been beaten with a baseball bat.
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air

Longhornmaniac

Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:03 am

Quoting Indy (Reply 9):
I don't know how you guys in Texas do it. I was in Ft. Worth a couple of years ago and you'd see cars driving around on occasion that looked like they had been beaten with a baseball bat.

Hey now.  Smile We've got plenty of affluent areas...they drive Accords and such! Haha, in all seriousness though, I saw about 10 BMW 745-50-60s, 1 Ferrari, and a Bentley on the way to school this morning. Gotta love west Austin. There are kids who drive Escalades at my school, too. I'm stuck in my Galant for another month... grr.

Just be glad you didn't go to Dallas, a bat beating is luxurious.  biggrin  Sorry to those in Dallas, I love it!

Cheers,
Cameron
Cheers,
Cameron

OPNLguy

Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:47 am

Quoting Chris133 (Reply 7):
I know that WN only had 2 planes on the ground (excluding MX hanger) at DAL

Busy night here. We did our own ground stop about :45 minutes before ATC put out their stop (that had an update time at 0015Z) and that saved us a bunch of diversions, not to mention avoiding the golf ball-sized hail we had on this side of the airport. Only two (2) diversions, 49 LIT-DAL on to the next stop at HOU, and one other (don't know what flight it was).
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

atlaaron

Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:49 pm

I was trying to fly out of BOS yesterday and there was sleet/hail. Really slowed things down for awhile, at least for FL. Plus a 717 had a de-icing problem which caused a cancellation screwing their whole schedule.

BigJimFX

Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:55 pm

There were A/C Damaged due to hail. Pax in the terminals were evacuated to safe areas due to a possible tornado south of the field. It's going to be a long night for sure.
I'd like to thank me for flying Me Airways...

Type-Rated

Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:00 pm

We lovingly call those "dimpled darlings"!
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

chris133

Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:05 pm

Quoting OPNLguy (Reply 11):
Only two (2) diversions, 49 LIT-DAL on to the next stop at HOU, and one other (don't know what flight it was).

I do believe it was an ELP-DAL flight that went to MAF

OPNLguy

Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:21 pm

Quoting Chris133 (Reply 15):
I do believe it was an ELP-DAL flight that went to MAF

Yeah, I found out later that it was the guy at the other end of my pod's flight, and there are only 3 desks in a pod.

Remember the scenes in "Airplane" where the Zulu spear comes out of nowhere and sticks in the wall of the dispatch office, and then a watermelon falls from the ceiling and hits the edge of a desk and breaks apart? As a dispatcher, I always thought those as funny, as on nights like tonight, those kinds of things could actually happen and you'd be too busy to ever notice....  Wink
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

CO777DAL

Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:01 pm

Here is video I took with my digital camera. I was at a friend’s house when the storm rolled in. This was taken in the City of Dallas and you can hear the tornado sirens. I heard at least three different ones at one time. Then is started to hail really bad. The hail lasted about 5 minutes. There was lots of hail and it was really dark. The hail is hard to see on the camera because of how dark it got. I couldn’t hear the sirens through the hail storm. Once the hail stopped, it was raining heavily and sirens could be heard again. I have lived in Dallas my whole life (except college) and have only heard the tornado sirens activate for a tornado warning three times. This was the longest I have every heard them run. I would say they ran for at least 30 minutes. I have heard them tested on Wednesdays, but rarely do we ever have to use them for a real tornado like today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23rN6YB3UQQ
Worked Hard. Flew Right. Farewell, Continental. Thanks for the memories.

skaggs

Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:09 pm

Here is some video from my house in Keller, 12 miles WSW of DFW about 1800. Several Golf Ball Pieces, mostly dime size. It lasted 10 minutes. Got home from work 15 min before (whew)

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

AA787823

Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:51 am

From what I hear AA currently has 35 airplanes out of service due to severe hail damage, most are expected to be out for some time. My friend down there just bought a new Civic SI, it was in the employee lot and according to her looks like some one beat every square inch of it with a hammer. Likely a total loss. She did not buy the supplemental "hail damage" clause in her insurance either. Her car was 1 week old.  Sad
F.U.R.P.....Families Under Reduced Pay

AlitaliaMD11

Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:04 am

This thread prompts me to ask what happens at DFW when there are tornado warnings or tornado's near by. Is there a shelter located in each terminal that all passengers are evacuated to?
No Vueling No Party

AA787823

Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:36 am

Quoting AlitaliaMD11 (Reply 20):
This thread prompts me to ask what happens at DFW when there are tornado warnings or tornado's near by. Is there a shelter located in each terminal that all passengers are evacuated to?

Yes all people in the terminal are moved far away from windows and sheltered in interior rooms. Most of these interior rooms at DFW are surrounded by cement block, so they are fairly safe.

JayDub

Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:36 am

In the terminals there are many restrooms and other doors with signs that say "Tornado Shelter".

Another interesting question is: "what happens to those sitting on aircraft when a tornado comes across the field?" Tornados in the North Texas area happed way too quickly to deplane everyone.
"Travel is only glamorous in retrospect." - Paul Theroux

AirTranTUS

Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:41 am

I have heard that DFW has underground shelters to use in cases like this. Can anyone confirm?
I love ASO!

ZBBYLW

Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:16 am

HAHA o boy, this is very interesting. I am flying down on AC tomorrow morning to catch the Canucks hockey game. Quick question how has AC handled this did they have an a/c on the ground that got damaged? If so this could pose a problem for the flights in and out for the next few days. Do storms like these happen one day and then take a break for a week or so, or is it relentless and happens daily? Does it usually wait for afternoon after everything can heat up and the air becomes more stable? My flight is supposed to arrive around 1045 so it would be nice to make it in. I guess I should bring a rain jacket and a hard hat (joking about the last one  Wink) any other suggestions boys and girls?
Keep the shinny side up!

OPNLguy

Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:27 am

Quoting ZBBYLW (Reply 24):
My flight is supposed to arrive around 1045 so it would be nice to make it in. I guess I should bring a rain jacket and a hard hat (joking about the last one ) any other suggestions boys and girls?

The cold front that caused yesterday's weather has moved well east of DFW, and is impacting the SE US today. Clouds are thinning out here, and we'll probaby have blue skies by late this afternoon if not beore.

Leave the hardhat and raingear at home....

[Edited 2007-04-14 21:38:15]

PExDCA

Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:33 am

Quoting ZBBYLW (Reply 24):
Do storms like these happen one day and then take a break for a week or so, or is it relentless and happens daily?

I have lived in Dallas for years and this is the first time I heard the tornado warning sirens go off since the tornado hit downtown Ft. Worth in early (March? April?) 2000. Prior to that the last major storm of a similar scale was in May of 1995. This part of the country is prone to severe thunderstorms, sometimes producing small hail and very high winds (and sometimes causing damage, but usually minimal). A storm like yesterday's was not unheard of, but storms of that severe of a magnitude seem to come about every 5 years or so in my opinion. To put things in perspective, last night's storm took about 2-3 hours to pass completely through the Dallas/Ft. Worth metroplex and by 7:30 I was out at a restaurant having dinner. With weather you get no guarantees but I have not heard of any further severe storms in the coming days forecast. Keep an eye on www.nbc5i.com for local forecasts. Enjoy the hockey game!
"A single twig breaks, but the bundle of twigs is strong." - Tecumseh

EXMEMWIDGET

Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:49 am

I was at the FedEx ramp on the northeast side of DFW. The biggest hail that I saw was about marble size. That size usually won't do any damage. I had a car totaled (insurance wise) back on '95. It was parked at the DFW airport while I was visiting MEM. It was beaten up pretty bad and so were a bunch of aircraft at DFW.

eyes2thesky

Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:58 am

Quoting AA787823 (Reply 19):
From what I hear AA currently has 35 airplanes out of service due to severe hail damage

This happened also in 1995. AA's insurance company is no doubt overjoyed at this point. I wonder if AA is going to have trouble getting insurance that covers planes based out of DFW? Just curious. I have no idea how AA's aircraft insurance is setup, or if it covers these hail events.
AA,AL,B6,CO,C5,C8,DA,DL,FI,F9,HP,LH,MQ,NW,OO,TZ,UA,US,WN,XJ,YV,ZW,VX

Ex NWA

Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:11 am

I just got in my car (luckily in a garage) leaving work for the day in Irving about 6:10 and the sky was looking very dark. I turned on the 1080 AM and they said a tornado warning for Dallas County so I decided to go back in the building to ride it out. Before I did so I opened the gate for some motorists frantically looking for cover. Just then the sirens starting wailing and we ran into the building just before golf ball sized hail and 60MPH winds hit. It was crazy!!

I was home around 7 and saw an ATA L1011 climbing out w/ lightning flashing behind it...quite a sight

cjpark

Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:20 am

Quoting AA787823 (Reply 19):
From what I hear AA currently has 35 airplanes out of service due to severe hail damage, most are expected to be out for some time. My friend down there just bought a new Civic SI, it was in the employee lot and according to her looks like some one beat every square inch of it with a hammer. Likely a total loss. She did not buy the supplemental "hail damage" clause in her insurance either. Her car was 1 week old.

If you have never heard baseball sized hail hit your roof it is something to experience.

Imagine you are sitting in your living room aware watching TV and there is a storm outside then you hear what sounds like gun shots outside. You think to yourself "what the hell" The noise first comes from one side of the house "BAM", then the other side "BANG BAM"or in the other room"BAM" "BANG""and the noises from the large hail hitting your roof are starting to hit in quick succession "BANG""BAM"......... until the noise blends into one solid "ROAR" at at the same time your dog is barking and your kids have started crying or screaming and then all of the sudden it is over as soon as it starts.

Then if you are brave enough you look out the window and see the hail, broken tree limps, and if you are unlucky your car or truck beat all to hell. So when the storm ends you rush outside to check how much damage you received and take as many pictures as you can and if you can and pick up some of the hail stones and set them in the freezer to show the insurance adjuster when he comes to look at your cars and roof.

This kind of weather is just hazard you must be prepared to live with if you want to live in Texas.
"Any airline that wants to serve the [region] can go to DFW today and fly anywhere they want," WN spokesman Ed Stewart

AA787823

Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:35 am

Well here is what fell on DFW yesterday. Took out 35 of AA's airplanes. (One MD80 with extensive damage to the fuselage, may be a total loss).

Big version: Width: 400 Height: 300 File size: 15kb

PExDCA

Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:12 am

Quoting AA787823 (Reply 31):
Well here is what fell on DFW yesterday. Took out 35 of AA's airplanes.

That pic makes a great case for shelling out the extra couple of bucks for covered parking at DFW!
"A single twig breaks, but the bundle of twigs is strong." - Tecumseh

EXMEMWIDGET

Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:20 am

Quoting AA787823 (Reply 31):
Well here is what fell on DFW yesterday. Took out 35 of AA's airplanes. (One MD80 with extensive damage to the fuselage, may be a total loss).

Ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!! Those stones would hurt!!

fixman88

Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:05 am

I live in Tyler, and was lucky that the storms decreased in intensity before they reached my house! On the radar all hell was breaking loose just west of me!
Did you know you can fly in Second Life?

ZBBYLW

Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:53 am

Quoting OPNLguy (Reply 25):

Quoting PExDCA (Reply 26):

Alrighty thanks boys, was not sure if it was a common event or not thanks for clearing that up. The other thing I was worried about was flight delays and all, but I hope AC's schedule is not impacted due too the weather.
Keep the shinny side up!

BigJimFX

Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:26 pm

Quoting AirTranTUS (Reply 23):

I have heard that DFW has underground shelters to use in cases like this. Can anyone confirm?

I took cover @ Terminal D where the secure side, which is pretty much all glass, was evacuated to the ground level baggage claims... TSA lines must have been a B**** to go through again. As for the other terminals... They are built like concrete bunkers. There are plenty of places to seek shelter. Bathrooms, stairwells and many places.

There are only 3 places that are underground I could think of off the top of my head, but they are not technically shelters, though I'm sure can be used as such in extenuating circumstances.
I'd like to thank me for flying Me Airways...