1. Presque Isle
2. Augusta
3. Rockland
4. Bar Harbor

http://www.airportbusiness.com/onlin...article.jsp?siteSection=3&id=11497

nkops

RE: Maine Hopes To Upgrade 4 Airports To RJs

Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:32 am

Do these airports have enough traffic for RJ's??? I can't see any of these 4 cities filling RJ's except maybe BHB during tourist season.
:evil:

legacy135

Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:40 am

That would be nice indeed. On the other hand, I could just see now DL, downgrading ti's BGR - BOS flights from the previous CRJ to a Beech 1900. This is back to the situation, I remember nearly 20 years ago, using BEX with this plane on this route. I also remember flying regularly on DL's MD88, 722 or once even a 757. So the actual situation is really just the only solution before stopping the service completely.

It's also sad to see, that the only international charters coming trough BGR by now are troop charters for the government. Those glorious days with all the English, Balair, AirEuropa, Finnair etc. are just history, as the nearly hourly frequencies to BOS are.

It's real sad to see things going down that much and I am wondering where they got all those passengers from in earlier days, as the flights were booked quite well, or in other words, where do they hide right now? Hopefully things will change again. I would be real glad for BGR and Maine.

Cheers
Legacy135  Wink

FCYTravis

Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:58 pm

Except the thing is, the government is subsidizing those Saab and Beech routes with EAS funds. They can't even support themselves as they are without subsidies.

They've got to be kidding if they think Pinnacle is going to send RJs into routes which can't even fill 19-seat turboprops. They're smoking crack if they think the US government is going to pay for it.
USAir A321 service now departing for SFO with fuel stops in CAK, COS and RNO. Enjoy your flight.

san747

Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:18 pm

Those cities should be happy they're getting any service... Especially with subsidies.
Scotty doesn't know...

zrs70

Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:27 pm

Bangor, Presque Isle, and Portland all used to see regular Delta mainline flights. But those days are long gone.
17 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2016

eyes2thesky

Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:36 pm

I would be pleasantly surprised if this happened. But doubt it will.

Maine is not an entrepreneurial hotbed. It's not a technology hotbed. It has lost several military facilities with sizeable base populations: Loring AFB (near Presque Isle), Presque Isle AFB, Pease AFB (in New Hampshire, but very near Portland), and Dow AFB. Brunswick NAS will close shortly. The only manufacturing I know of is for LL Bean. There is lots of logging. But when's the last time an airline made money flying into an area best known for its logging? Really, there's not much to suggest that Maine is anything but a recreation spot (albeit a year-round one), and outside of Alaska recreation doesn't provide a good foundation for profitable air service.

I really like Maine, personally. I've been to the fishing villages. I've hiked Mt. Katahdin. But I think it's aviation scene is going to stagnate for a while.
AA,AL,B6,CO,C5,C8,DA,DL,FI,F9,HP,LH,MQ,NW,OO,TZ,UA,US,WN,XJ,YV,ZW,VX

RoyalAtlantis

Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:47 pm

Quoting San747 (Reply 4):
Those cities should be happy they're getting any service... Especially with subsidies.

Why would you make a statement like this? a college student from San Diego? FYI - Coastal Maine is home to three of the top 10 liberal arts colleges in the U.S. not to mention BIG MONEY real estate in Bar Harbor, Rockland etc. EVERY flight I've been on out of these airports has always been full.

Does anyone have the tourist figures on Bar Harbor? They are significant....

What subsidies are you referring to btw?

eyes2thesky

Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:54 pm

Quoting RoyalAtlantis (Reply 7):
Bar Harbor, Rockland etc. EVERY flight I've been on out of these airports has always been full.

What time of year were your flights? And what size of airplane? I'm guessing 19-seaters. I'd be surprised if those spots could support a 50-seat RJ for more than just the summer months, if at all.

RoyalAtlantis

Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:57 pm

Quoting Eyes2thesky (Reply 6):
I would be pleasantly surprised if this happened. But doubt it will.

Somewhat disagree. Presque Isle & Agusta are challenged - Rockland...perhaps, Bar Harbor - most likely. Portland is booming. What Maine suffers from is a disparity of income and that may be the most significant challenge. There is a growing middle class, but most of the people living in the coastal communities such as Bar Harbor/Mt. Desert Island and Rockland have VERY deep pockets as it's some of the most expensive real estate north of Nantucket. The non-coastal areas are low-income on average in comparison. However, Bangor does draw good loads and the RJ's AA flies out of Bangor are high. The prices are also tantamount to robbery! Regardless - I have flown on the US flight to Rockland and it is usually full. Ditto with Bar Harbor. When you land at Bar Harbor and park next to a couple GV's etc. you quickly get the picture.

eyes2thesky

Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:22 pm

Quoting RoyalAtlantis (Reply 7):
Coastal Maine is home to three of the top 10 liberal arts colleges in the U.S. not to mention BIG MONEY real estate

Interesting question, whether a booming real estate market can support commercial air service. Santa Barbara, CA seems like it has some parallels to the towns in Maine you mention: No industry, no tech, a small college or two, but a booming, very wealthy real estate market and a recreational draw. SBA does pretty well for air service. On the other hand, Santa Barbara has great year-round weather. Down-east Maine doesn't. I still wonder whether people coming to their second-homes in Maine for a couple weeks at a time during the nice months can really support regular RJ air service. I've been surprised before, though.