a380us

Will The Open Skies Really Hurt LHR

Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:34 am

So as most of us know there is now an EU-US open skies agreement coming into effect next april.
And one of the major things that will happen is that many US airlines will switch to LHR
But a we also know slots may become restricted.
Also one of the main reasons LHR is so busy is because of connections.
And since there are restrictred slots then airlines are selling them to other airlines
but my qustion is if the smaller airlines are selling their slots to other airlines big american or any airlines wont LHR lose the connections and be very pact.
This would make LHR more of point to point than connecting.
for example
KLM/AF recently sold some of their slots to DL
so now thats less flights to France and the Netherlands. DL Secures Slots At LHR (by Scotron11 Apr 15 2007 in Civil Aviation)
www.JandACosmetics.com

steeler83

RE: Will The Open Skies Really Hurt LHR

Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:46 am

No, no, no, no, and ummm... oh yeah... NNN-OOOO  Smile

As has been discussed 1,254 other times, this opens up LHR for transatlantic competition. BA and AA will no longer monopolize routes between the US and LHR. That's my way of looking at it, and I finally got the first word in these threads!!!  praise  champagne 
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

LTU932

Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:02 am

Quoting A380US (Thread starter):
And one of the major things that will happen is that many US airlines will switch to LHR

We only know of CO and DL wanting to start LHR ops next year (DL, having acquired slots from KL and AF, would start ATL-LHR and shift DL1/2, which is their fairly new JFK-LGW flight, to LHR while CO will start IAH-LHR). There isn't any more information on whether NW or even US will shift at least part of their LON operations to LHR which means that right now, only two of the four majors that were previously "banned" from flying into LHR by Bermuda II will enter the LHR market next year.

But a we also know slots may become restricted.

LHR is already slot restricted. Acquiring slots is possible, but more difficult.

KLM/AF recently sold some of their slots to DL
so now thats less flights to France and the Netherlands.

I don't think that's a significant decrease. In KL's case, they still have that morning AMS-LHR flight that is operated with an A332, and if the timing is right, DL could use that "shuttle" to have passengers connect through AMS, along with the other connection opportunities that come from AF and KL's presence at LHR. From my perspective however, LHR is more of an O&D destination than a connecting point.

iadguy73

Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:54 am

I think the only way connections would be significantly affected is if the major European carriers already present there (LH, AF, KL, EI) would start flying LHR-US routes which I don't see happening. NW, US, CO and DL won't make a significant dent even if all 4 will switch/start new routes from LHR.