Iloveboeing
Topic Author

WN Considers TVs And Internet

Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:10 am

http://investing.reuters.co.uk/news/..._0_SP_PAGE_023-N19308326-OISBI.XML

The above-mentioned article says that WN is considering putting TVs and Internet on its planes. Now that would be interesting. Would they charge for such a service? Or would it be like B6?

OPNLguy

RE: WN Considers TVs And Internet

Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:32 am

Given that the article says:

"Kelly added that Southwest was looking at putting televisions and wireless entertainment systems on board its planes, and would soon announce other initiatives to raise revenues, but gave no further details."

...I'd assume that there would be a charge involved...
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

pizzaandplanes

Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:45 am

Well, Boeings internet service failed, maybe southwest can turn it into a success? TVs would be more profitable i think. Besides, how many people want to connect if southwest's planes arent even equipped with power outlets. This seems interesting, both premiere American low cost airlines going at each other. Time will tell to see if this is an investment worthwile for WN.
A real man lands where he wants to

BigAppleCoder

Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:51 am

Quoting OPNLguy (Reply 1):
Given that the article says:

"Kelly added that Southwest was looking at putting televisions and wireless entertainment systems on board its planes, and would soon announce other initiatives to raise revenues, but gave no further details."

Undoubtedly as ala carte' pricing seems to be an upcoming trend with the airlines.

I assume this would mean restrictions on equipment dispatching as it's probably not cost effective to deploy equipment with this capability on short routes vs. long ones. It's a fine line Kelly walks here.

steeler83

Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:09 am

Quoting OPNLguy (Reply 1):

Oh yeah, same here. Didn't they also look at possiby adding meal service on their longer flights like PHL-LAS, PHX, LAX, et al?

Perhaps if they were to do this, maybe they could tack on another 5 bucks to the airfare for such service. I think it's a great idea...  Smile
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.