Topic Author

New Seats On A Retired Aircraft...What Happens?

Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:52 am

I was wondering if anyone is familiar with this sort of a situation...

Consider the fact that Air Canada will be retiring A330s and 767s over the next decade as 787s come online. Many of these retired aircraft will have the new XM interior. I was curious – would AC possibly re-use some of the old seats from the soon-to-be-retired aircraft on the newly delivered aircraft? These seats can cost upwards of $100,000, so it seems like a financially responsible possibility to me, although I feel as though an airline would prefer not to do that.

Alternatively, are the seats simply removed and put up for re-sale?

Anyone have any experience/thoughts? This is not just limited to AC – any airline is applicable.

RE: New Seats On A Retired Aircraft...What Happens?

Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:28 am

Airlines usually 'strip' the aircrafts of all of their stuff before retiring them, and in this case, the airline will send the plane(s) over to maintenance and their, engineers will remove all the seats, and they will then usualy be re-used on other aircrafts. Each seat is fitted onto a 'plate' type thing designed for the aircraft's floor, all they do is replace the old plate with a new one for another aircraft which will then be bolted to the cabin floor.

[Edited 2007-04-20 23:28:57]
Always stand up for what is right, even if it means standing alone..