MAH4546
Topic Author

AA To SSA And/or REC In '08

Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:12 am

Most exhaustive article so far on American Airlines' plans to fly to Salvador and/or Recife in Northeast Brazil starting in early 2008:

Article in Portuguese:
http://www.portugaldigital.com.br/si...cia.kmf?noticia=6014907&canal=159L

The basic gist is that American Airlines is planning to begin flights from Miami to Recife and/or Salvador at the start of 2008, as long as they get ANAC approval. The flights would be operated by 757-200s. It does quote an AA official, and puts an end to the speculation of what AA's first NE Brazil destinations will be, although Recife and Salvador where always the front runners.

Ending other speculation, it also says that while Delta has shown interest in flying to Northeast Brazil, those plans for the long-term, not the short-term.
a.

akizidy214

RE: AA To SSA And/or REC In '08

Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:36 am

Great news! It will be interesting to see how well the load factors are. From what I hear AA is actual looking at using a 763 on a MIA-SSA due to cargo and a 757 on a MIA-REC routing. There is also talk of MIA-ASU starting back in 2008 with a 757 as well. South America is AA cash cow AMR needs to stop toying around an make it happen!

[Edited 2007-04-21 18:57:43]
DCA

MAH4546
Topic Author

Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:40 am

Quoting Akizidy214 (Reply 1):
There is also talk of MIA-ASU starting back in 2008 with a 757 as well.

AA wants to re-start Miami-Asuncion in December if Paraguay exempts them from the mandatory travel agent commission. Paraguay has shown some willingness to work with them, so we'll see.
a.

BigGSFO

Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:53 am

Great news! Will both flights require 2 aircraft or can AA operate successfully (and profitably) with one each, without red-eyes in both directions?

MAH4546
Topic Author

Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:58 am

Quoting BigGSFO (Reply 3):
Great news! Will both flights require 2 aircraft or can AA operate successfully (and profitably) with one each, without red-eyes in both directions?

AA plans on having redeyes to SSA/ASU/REC and daylights from.
a.

BigGSFO

Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:01 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 4):

Great. Thanks.

DFWEagle

Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:36 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 4):

What sort of frequency would you expect for these MIA-ASU/SSA/REC routes? Daily?
Ryan / HKG

PPVRA

Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:54 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 2):
Quoting Akizidy214 (Reply 1):
There is also talk of MIA-ASU starting back in 2008 with a 757 as well.

AA wants to re-start Miami-Asuncion in December if Paraguay exempts them from the mandatory travel agent commission. Paraguay has shown some willingness to work with them, so we'll see.

On a wild swing here. . . any chance AA could fly to ASU through MAO?

It's one stop less than TAM/TAM Mercosur offer right now (and probably anytime soon), plus cargo from MAO. Perhaps they could even offer a 767(-200?) service. Supposedly JJ is doing well on MAO-MIA too.
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

LAXspotter

Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:05 am

AA 757 service to Recife is going to be a loooong flight. Is the demand to Salavador de Bahia much greater than other cities in Brazil to allow for 767 service?
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" Samuel Johnson

akizidy214

Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:27 am

Quoting PPVRA (Reply 7):

No...They will leave that for TAM if they want to fly that route. Unlikely though.

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 8):
Is the demand to Salavador de Bahia much greater than other cities in Brazil to allow for 767 service?

If a 763 is chosen it would be for cargo purposes. Although everytime I go to SSA there are alot of people connecting in GRU headed to MIA and JFK.
DCA

elmothehobo

Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:23 pm

Quoting PPVRA (Reply 7):

Mark mentioned that American was considering MIA-ASU-EZE-ASU-MIA as a routing, getting around the current US-Argentina Bilateral.

Quoting MAH4546 (Thread starter):
Ending other speculation, it also says that while Delta has shown interest in flying to Northeast Brazil, those plans for the long-term, not the short-term.

I wonder what WorldTraveler has to say about that, I'm surprised to hear that considering that Delta has been expanding at a breakneck pace.

Pu752

Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:46 pm

Quoting ElmoTheHobo (Reply 10):
Mark mentioned that American was considering MIA-ASU-EZE-ASU-MIA as a routing, getting around the current US-Argentina Bilateral.

If AA returns to ASU that would be just MIA-ASU-MIA no tags on, thats my guess, also I dont see this flight operating daily freqs.

MAH4546
Topic Author

Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:30 pm

That was the original plan, but the US and Argentina have signed a new air treaty that will be allowing AA to expand service to Argentina without having to find ways to get around it.

I wonder what WorldTraveler has to say about that, I'm surprised to hear that considering that Delta has been expanding at a breakneck pace.

Not surprising at all. The market for Brazil-USA, outisde of Rio/Sao, is still small and developing. Until Brazil drops US visa ristrictions, it is heavily dependent on Brazil-originating traffic. Brazil-originaintg traffic is largely going to South Florida, with the rest pretty much just going to Orlando and NYC. Outside of Atlanta-Salvador, a market does not exist for Atlanta-NE Brazil.

Quoting PU752 (Reply 11):

If AA returns to ASU that would be just MIA-ASU-MIA no tags on, thats my guess, also I dont see this flight operating daily freqs.

A frequency has not been decided, but AA wants to run it daily. It isn't a great yielding route, so running it daily can help make up for less than stellar yield.
a.

LipeGIG

Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:18 am

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 8):
AA 757 service to Recife is going to be a loooong flight. Is the demand to Salavador de Bahia much greater than other cities in Brazil to allow for 767 service?

In terms of US services, yes, demand for SSA should be bigger than several others cities in Brazil except for sure São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro. SSA become a good base of US Investment in industry (like Ford Motors) and hotels. It's the 3rd largest base of US hotels established including some in resorts, incredible places like Porto Seguro, Ilheus, Sauipe and Itamaraca. Also US Ambassador said recently that a new consulate will be established in Brazil and IMO will be in Salvador.
SSA is nowadays the fastest growing airport in Brazil with around 20% p.a. since january 2006.

Felipe
New York + Rio de Janeiro = One of the best combinations !

jfk777

Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:42 am

WHY has it taken almost 20 years since AA purchased EASTERN'S routes for Recife to be part of the AA's Brazil network ? AA had the same 757's 10 years ago and could have operated the rutes now being talked about. Too BAD

commavia

Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:00 am

Quoting Jfk777 (Reply 14):
WHY has it taken almost 20 years since AA purchased EASTERN'S routes for Recife to be part of the AA's Brazil network ? AA had the same 757's 10 years ago and could have operated the rutes now being talked about.

The market is developing. Ten years ago, AA would never have been able to profitably fill a 3-4x weekly 757 to the Brazilian Northeast. I know VARIG served some of these markets for years with 767s, but if memory serves, they were basically glorified scheduled charters -- i.e., the flights followed a set schedule (I think 1-2x/week) but were basically subsidized charters paid for by some of the local resorts. Those kind of economics would never have worked for AA.

Today, with U.S. tourism to the region growing (albeit more slowly than it should because of visa restrictions) and with the economic ties between the two countries rapidly expanding, these markets now make sense.

LipeGIG

Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:47 am

Quoting Jfk777 (Reply 14):
WHY has it taken almost 20 years since AA purchased EASTERN'S routes for Recife to be part of the AA's Brazil network ? AA had the same 757's 10 years ago and could have operated the rutes now being talked about. Too BAD

Because Brazilians use to accept with no problem connections 3 hours far from their cities. Now AA and DL focus on explore services to the Northeast because of strong competition in other markets (Domestic & Europe), the higher fares on South America (DL and AA use to sell Economy Deep-Discount Fares for US$ 1,000 on flights 1 to 2 hours more than Europe) and the fact it's a protected market and competition (even from Brazilian Airlines) is not expected during the next 2 years.

Just need to see the huge investment made by Europe in the northeast during the past 5 years: more than 20 resorts ready or under construction, dozens of hotels and "posadas", hundreds of restaurants, Europeans account for more than 40% of new real estate developments...

IMO, lack of vision from US Airlines and Hotel Chains. One depends on the other ! If someone says that it's a matter of visa, i'm sorry but is the way Brazil runs the game: UK, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Netherlands.. no one requires visa for Brazilians, and all of them keep offices to attract Brazilians as well as Brazil do the same.

North Americans are 5 years delayed in terms of Northeast.

Felipe

sampa737

Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:31 am

North Americans are 5 years delayed in terms of Northeast.

Couldn't agree more. The northeast is the secret of the world. It's got a lot to offer, lots of "paradise", cheap to the wallet, and people are incredibly friendly. I flew many times the 4 hour flight from AJU-GRU only to wait a few more hours before heading back north to the USA. Come on American and Delta! You will be welcome...and bring your American friends with you!!

MAH4546
Topic Author

Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:19 pm

Quoting Sampa737 (Reply 17):
Come on American and Delta!

As the article points out, Delta won't be flying to Northeast Brazil anytime soon. I think it is likely you will see them fly JFK-GIG in the next 1-2 years.
a.

MAH4546
Topic Author

Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:19 pm

It is becoming a lot closer to reality, and more details have been announced. American Airlines is planning to fly MIA-REC and MIA-SSA at 4x weekly each in November as long as ANAC says yes.

(Portuguese only)
http://oglobo.globo.com/viagem/mat/2007/04/23/295470947.asp

Also, Manaus is planned for summer 2008, and Fortaleza for late 2008/early 2009.
a.

jacobin777

Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:28 pm

Congrats on AA solidifying their dominant position in the Central America/South America flights...but could they bloody expand elsewhere too?

AA is leaving too many gaps in Africa and Asia.....possibly even in Europe....
"Up the Irons!"

sampa737

Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:03 pm

As the article points out, Delta won't be flying to Northeast Brazil anytime soon. I think it is likely you will see them fly JFK-GIG in the next 1-2 years.

"Soon" is not defined and the very fact that they are talking and even publishing intent is major. The northeast is anxious for this service whether it's tomorrow or in 5 years, the point is the northeast is ready for whoever gets there first. I was simply pointing out Delta because DL had been talked about in here as starting service. As far as I have read from the threads, those are the only 2 that I remember showing interest.

incitatus

Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:48 pm

Quoting LipeGIG (Reply 16):
IMO, lack of vision from US Airlines and Hotel Chains. One depends on the other ! If someone says that it's a matter of visa, i'm sorry but is the way Brazil runs the game: UK, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Netherlands.. no one requires visa for Brazilians, and all of them keep offices to attract Brazilians as well as Brazil do the same.

Why do you seem to exempt the Brazilian government from any blame? It's the way Brazil runs the game, thanks to the government's own stupidity. It keeps the country with that label forever: "Country of the future".

As for these other countries not requiring visa from Brazilians, it's time to set the record straight. There are lots and lots of illegal immigrants from Brazil in Europe. LOTS! Go to London, Milan and Paris and they are everywhere. This is due to the lack of economic opportunities in Brazil, which is a consequence of how the government stifles investment and places hurdles on different sectors of the economy, like receptive tourism. Getting a Schengen visa is a pain, but maybe it is time to require one for Brazilians.
Stop pop up ads

LipeGIG

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:01 am

Quoting Incitatus (Reply 22):
Why do you seem to exempt the Brazilian government from any blame? It's the way Brazil runs the game, thanks to the government's own stupidity. It keeps the country with that label forever: "Country of the future".

I don't exempt. I only said that Europe allows Brazilians to fly without visa even with a large number of illegal immigrants because they need them, and they know that all the others travelling as requested (business or leisure) represents up to 3 million people and EUR 7 billion every year.
I'm trying to explain that the fact that in Brazil we have around US$ 20 billion invested by Europeans (and forgive me but there's lots of illegal people in Brazil also from Latin America and even Europe) because of the air-link created in the near past. If you are looking for a hotel, it's easy to find out a Melia, an Iberostar, an Atlantica, a Sofitel / Accor / Ibis, Pestana, a Sol, Villa Gale... all of them... from Europe ! You can find 1 Holliday Inn in Salvador, 1 Holliday Inn in Fortaleza... no Hilton, no Hyatt, no Sheraton, no Marriot... looking for restaurants, it's easy to find Portuguese cuisine, Spanish, French, Italian... no Americans (only Mc Donnalds and Dominos Pizza fast food...). This is the matter i'd like to raise. Illegal immigration happens, and you need to check how many people lives in Brazil illegally, there are rumors about 1 million people !

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 19):
It is becoming a lot closer to reality, and more details have been announced. American Airlines is planning to fly MIA-REC and MIA-SSA at 4x weekly each in November as long as ANAC says yes.

Nice news Mark, hope that ANAC really keep it's word and allow AA to run such flights as it will be very important to increase the US investments in the northeast, a land of opportunities now. As there are some land available there even for ethanol, it could helps more AA to fill the flights with premium traffic.

Felipe

MAH4546
Topic Author

Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:09 am

Quoting Sampa737 (Reply 21):
"Soon" is not defined and the very fact that they are talking and even publishing intent is major. The northeast is anxious for this service whether it's tomorrow or in 5 years, the point is the northeast is ready for whoever gets there first. I was simply pointing out Delta because DL had been talked about in here as starting service. As far as I have read from the threads, those are the only 2 that I remember showing interest.

I was able to speak to a Delta rep just this past week, and "soon" is defined: Delta currently has no plans to fly to Northeast Brazil, even though they had been investigating the options. They are going to look at how they can grow in Sao Paulo and Rio de Janeiro first, because the Northeast market is still too thin, especially to serve from Atlanta.
a.

gte439u

Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:17 am

Quoting LipeGIG (Reply 23):
This is the matter i'd like to raise. Illegal immigration happens, and you need to check how many people lives in Brazil illegally, there are rumors about 1 million people !

Yes, that is what Veja says. However, few are U.S. citizens.

Brazil is, however, the fourth largest sender of illegal immigrants to the U.S., and by far the largest sender when compared to other nations far from the U.S. mainland. Until Brazil begins to provide enough opportunity so that its own citizens do not have to leave, the U.S. will not even contemplate allowing Brazilians in without a visa.
http://www.boston.com/news/nation/wa...ion_into_us_is_targeted_by_mexico/

You must understand that the U.S. is very stingy on allowing foreigners to enter under the Visa Waiver Program. Congress must approve each nation - South Korea will come up for a vote this year - and the nation must have very few person arriving who are turned back by U.S. authorities.

It's a shame that the visa deters so many Americans. I dutifully get my visa renewed every five years since I love Brazil - falo portugues - and have contemplated moving to Curitiba.

(Edited to add statistics source)

[Edited 2007-04-24 21:19:19]

PPVRA

Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:33 am

Quoting Gte439u (Reply 25):

I'm gonna echo Felipe and say that illegal immigration happens, and I believe one of the main points he was trying to make is that this VISA restriction in part of both nations only hurt themselves - the U.S. gets shut off a large, growing market to what seems to be significant degree; and Brazil loses many American tourists, who could otherwise be spending money on American hotels/companies instead of mostly European companies (of course also many Brazilian).

I can see these restrictions hurting the economy of both nations more than any kind of seemingly large number of illegal immigration coming from Brazil, especially in the long term (without even considering their benefit to the U.S. economy), but I don't have any numbers to support my view.

I don't wish to say anything in behalf of Lipe, this is just my opinion regarding his post.

Just my  twocents 
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

AF086

Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:40 am

Quoting Sampa737 (Reply 21):
I think it is likely you will see them fly JFK-GIG in the next 1-2 years.

That would be a great move by Delta. Is their connection network at JFK good?

Also, Manaus is planned for summer 2008, and Fortaleza for late 2008/early 2009.

Interesting moves! Keep us posted please Mark.
Please insert a "smart" joke here.

B4REAL

Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:03 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 12):
The market for Brazil-USA, outisde of Rio/Sao, is still small and developing.

I hate calling you on things... Are you sure? Salvador/Bahia is growing heavily from international investments. Continental Tire and Ford in Camiçari, Avon in Simöes Filho, Volvo, Volkswagon, a bunch in the area.

Until Brazil drops US visa ristrictions, it is heavily dependent on Brazil-originating traffic.

Maybe for general tourism and visiting family and relatives, but for business traffic. It is just a $300 fee to a visa service, and you are done with it for 5 years.

Quoting AF086 (Reply 27):
(RE JFK-GIG) That would be a great move by Delta. Is their connection network at JFK good?

It is okay (great for East coast and West coast going to Europe), but at least on JFK-GRU on DL - the flight is highly direct O&D JFK-GRU.
B4REAL, spelled like it sounds

dellatorre

Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:45 am

Quoting B4REAL (Reply 28):
The market for Brazil-USA, outisde of Rio/Sao, is still small and developing.

This is incorrect! Traffic Brazil-USA outiside Rio/Sao is not small, in fact is leven larger, 60 to 70 % is connecting traffic, only 40-30 % is O&D going to Rio/Sao.

Until Brazil drops US visa ristrictions, it is heavily dependent on Brazil-originating traffic.

Maybe for general tourism and visiting family and relatives, but for business traffic. It is just a $300 fee to a visa service, and you are done with it for 5 years.

The visa has litte effect on traffic between US to Brazil, specially for business! This is becoming some sort of myth....

Rgs,

Neo

2travel2know

Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:50 am

from Europe ! You can find 1 Holiday Inn in Salvador, 1 Holiday Inn in Fortaleza... no Hilton, no Hyatt, no Sheraton, no Marriot...

Talking about hotels in SSA, there are 2 Marriott hotels in Costa do Sauípe.

About AA in REC and SSA, maybe AA after a while will consider flying MIA-REC-SSA daily instead of serving both destinations individually.
I don't work for COPA Airlines!

LipeGIG

Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:12 am

Quoting 2travel2know (Reply 30):
Talking about hotels in SSA, there are 2 Marriott hotels in Costa do Sauípe.

Thanks for the correction, just to remember also it's not in the city, it's a resort a little far from Salvador it self.

Maybe for general tourism and visiting family and relatives, but for business traffic. It is just a $300 fee to a visa service, and you are done with it for 5 years

Agree 100% and also to remember that Brazilians are one of the top 2 in the world while visiting USA in terms of daily expenses, just behind Japanese people. Hotels, stores, restaurants, every one in Florida, New York and other cities love Brazilians because we use to buy a lot in the USA. Same for Americans in Brazil !

Quoting Dellatorre (Reply 29):
This is incorrect! Traffic Brazil-USA outiside Rio/Sao is not small, in fact is leven larger, 60 to 70 % is connecting traffic, only 40-30 % is O&D going to Rio/Sao.

It's impossible to know the number, but it seems that Rio/Sao is a little more than 40%, Delatorre. I would say 50% to 55% . The airlines says it's more but of course they do not keep the complete info. AFAIK Tam gets less than 50% on it's flights from Rio/Sao.

Felipe

B4REAL

Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:14 am

Quoting LipeGIG (Reply 31):
Agree 100% and also to remember that Brazilians are one of the top 2 in the world while visiting USA in terms of daily expenses, just behind Japanese people. Hotels, stores, restaurants, every one in Florida, New York and other cities love Brazilians because we use to buy a lot in the USA. Same for Americans in Brazil !

Yes, I am too amazed at the positive economic impact (shopping) that the Brazilians do. The electronics are understandable but also clothes and many other things. This is also a pain on the aircraft as overhead storage goes quick.

Back to topic. I think the loser here is JJ. Their MIA-SSA-MIA route is poorly placed schedule wise (currently only operated as 1x weekly). I believe AA will make the route more successful than JJ because AA is more attractive to US travelers for the route to Brazil and the increased frequency will be a big plus. Using a 757 will also be key to getting the right numbers for initial launch. I would not be surprised to see the AB6 or 763 on the route eventually (MAH4546 may disagree). Good for AA.
B4REAL, spelled like it sounds

MAH4546
Topic Author

Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:48 am

Quoting B4REAL (Reply 32):

Back to topic. I think the loser here is JJ. Their MIA-SSA-MIA route is poorly placed schedule wise (currently only operated as 1x weekly).

No, TAM does not lose. Their MIA-SSA flights are ran because TAM has lucrative tourist contracts with local resorts in Salvador, and sells vacation packages through TAM Vacations in Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, and New York City. Those contracts aren't going anywhere. The flight is self-sufficient thanks to those contracts and TAM's own vacation division. It is simply a quick stop on their Sunday daylight flights to/from Sao Paulo, not a turn-around flight.

Quoting B4REAL (Reply 32):
I would not be surprised to see the AB6 or 763 on the route eventually (MAH4546 may disagree).

A 763, possibly, but not right now because they don't have the 763s to operate the route. If any secondary Brazil destination gets a 763 from AA, it will be SSA.

An A300, never, because those are for short/medium-haul, high-density routes, which MIA-SSA is not.
a.

incitatus

Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:54 pm

The visa has litte effect on traffic between US to Brazil, specially for business! This is becoming some sort of myth....

For business I agree. But for personal travel it is a hurdle on both directions. Among my circle there are Americans who don't go to Brazil because they need a visa. They can always travel visa free to the Caribbean, or if they venture further south, they pick Chile. I also know Brazilians who refuse to deal with the American Consulate in Sao Paulo but vacation in Europe.

I'm trying to explain that the fact that in Brazil we have around US$ 20 billion invested by Europeans (and forgive me but there's lots of illegal people in Brazil also from Latin America and even Europe) because of the air-link created in the near past. If you are looking for a hotel, it's easy to find out a Melia, an Iberostar, an Atlantica, a Sofitel / Accor / Ibis, Pestana, a Sol, Villa Gale... all of them... from Europe ! You can find 1 Holliday Inn in Salvador, 1 Holliday Inn in Fortaleza... no Hilton, no Hyatt, no Sheraton, no Marriot... looking for restaurants, it's easy to find Portuguese cuisine, Spanish, French, Italian... no Americans (only Mc Donnalds and Dominos Pizza fast food...). This is the matter i'd like to raise.

A lot of this investment is coming from Spain, and some from Portugal. Two reasons: Both have matured as EU economies in the last 10 years and looked for investment opportunities abroad. They have difficulty competing in Asia, so they have picked areas for foreign investment where they have an advantage. It is not that they discovered Latin America - it's what was available and where they could compete. Brazil is growing at 4% while most of Asia is growing at close to 10%. An excellent, unbiased guide to Brazil's current economic situation is the Economist's Brazil survey published a couple of weeks ago. It shows how the government gets in the way of everything and that Brazil's recent economic progress is a spillover of China's growth through higher commodity prices.

I can't tell if you got the numbers right. However, the traffic that is not Rio/SaoPaulo is littered across the country. Count all state capitals, plus north SC, northwest PR, SP interior, Minas triangle, Petrolina/Bahia interior area. All these generate some international traffic. Overall given the much bigger share in Rio/SP and the fact that most places have nonstop flights to Rio/SP, it is still attractive to have lots of international flights there.

Quoting PPVRA (Reply 26):
I'm gonna echo Felipe and say that illegal immigration happens, and I believe one of the main points he was trying to make is that this VISA restriction in part of both nations only hurt themselves - the U.S. gets shut off a large, growing market to what seems to be significant degree;

However, the US has a legitimate reason to require a visa. There is a lot of illegal immigrants in the country, and there would be many more if there was no visa. Brazil has lots of illegal immigrants from Bolivia and Paraguay and if the government was minimally competent, it should have been requiring visas of those countries.
Stop pop up ads