SolarWind
Topic Author

Airline Employees And This Site..

Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:37 am

I was reading another thread..Hows AA new flt. AUS-SEA doing?..And some one gave the future bookings on a particular flt... And some posters were comcerned that employees giving out future bookings
might be in trouble..Such as ..N174UA.."Better hope no one in HR and or yield management at AA is reading this thread or you might find youself in a lot of hot water for posting future bookings"..I agree that some "Inside Information" might not be wise to post here...But future bookings.??..Anyone can get the APROX. loads on any AA flight..by simply going to AA's web site ..go to RES. then "view available seats"..put in the flt.#..Dept city..Arrival city and date...and you will get the seats already sold and taken and the available seats remaining ..in F,C or Y..I realize if a flight is over sold this will just tell you there are zero seats available ..not the exact # over sold seats...An employee trying to Non Rev..can get the Exact #..by using a special # and Company ID..and SS#
etc...

QueenofDaSkies

RE: Airline Employees And This Site..

Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:49 am

As an airline employee, you have to be careful what you post. There is certain company information that as an employee you are entitled to HOWEVER that doesn't mean you can share it on a public forum. I don't know if posting info about flight loads is a big no no. The general rule I use is, if it is NOT easily accessible information by the public yet I have it, I WILL keep it to myself. There are many avenues in which you can obtain flight loads info. But anywho, yes...as an employee you have great deal of responsibility over what you say AND do that could potentially affect your company. And yea, I have heard of cases where people got fired over something they posted on the internet that SOMEHOW got back to their employer.....pretty crazy!
It's time to FLY!

MCOflyer

Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:07 am

I know most companies browse through this site as some people got asked not to return to this site. I will not revel themselves as it private business. EWRCabincrew can probably explain what information CO doesn't allow to be shared.

MCOflyer
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

aa61hvy

Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:23 am

All internal postings that are not to be shared are prefaced with saying "confidential" if it does not say that it's public knowledge-at least here in FedEx
Go big or go home

OHLHD

Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:30 am

Some years back there was a huge issue in germany where the public was informed by the media that politicians used their Miles & More miles which they collected while on state-business for their private flights. It was quite a big issue because these miles '' actually belonged to the tax-payers''.

BUT the important thing was: How did they know?

They received the information from employees.

But it is impossible to find out who that was. Nevertheless only a few days later we were warned by our company ( ahandlingagent at this time) that we should never ever give details about passengers or their mileaccount to anybody. We had to sign that we were informed about it and would accept legal actions against us if we viloted against the signed paper.

As for today, I never post anything about my company nor do I post in topics where my company is involved.  Smile

N353SK

Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:56 am

Sharing flight loads isn't a big deal. The problem is there's always some guy on this site with a stick up his rear criticizing - It's probably the same guy (or guys) that post in every thread about air marshals that we're "letting the terrorists win" by discussing this info  Yeah sure

That said, Most of the time I've seen flight loads discussed it's another airline employee asking for the purpose of nonrevving. They can also get this info from reservations, it's just oftentimes easer to not have to call india.

DH8PU

Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:02 pm

Quoting N353SK (Reply 5):
Sharing flight loads isn't a big deal. The problem is there's always some guy on this site with a stick up his rear criticizing - It's probably the same guy (or guys) that post in every thread about air marshals that we're "letting the terrorists win" by discussing this info

At AC publicly sharing load data could be grounds to have your travel privileges revoked or your employment terminated, So i would disagree and call that a big deal!
Cabin secure and doors checked

nzrich

Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:17 pm

As previously posted airlines are very sensitive with information these days.. Basically it means that any info like loads etc wil get you in trouble ..Like a lot of companies these days you sign a contract quite often it will say that you are not to make comments to the media ..The internet is the media !!! So jobs can be on the line if you spill company information ..
"Pride of the pacific"

SkyexRamper

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:19 am

Even though if you call the non-rev line or reservations and they wouldn't give you specific numbers for passenger loads, you can still figure out the loads by asking how many seats open or what percent of the plane is full. I've had numerous airlines quote me the percent full and by knowing the a/c type for the route its easy to figure out.
Good Luck to all Skyway Pilots! It's been great working with you!

nkops

Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:55 am

While I agree that sharing loads is no big deal, we are told not too, and that is good enough for me not to!! Having said that , if somebody asks loads, I will just tell them if the flight is open, pretty full, or sold-out.

The only other thing I can think you have to watch is leaking out info before the company releases it (routes, etc.) but since I'm not nearly priveledged to such info, I don't have to worry about it.
:evil:

Lite

Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:31 am

There are very strict confidentiality issues which you agree to when you sign up with most companies, including handling agents and airlines. Even though you may only be giving your two cents concerning a competitor or a new service your own company has introduced, if people know who you work for it is sometimes vis-a-vis considered you are representing the views of the company, so they are very wary about people posting online or speaking casually to the press.
LCC Lover Lite

RDUDDJI

Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:40 am

I'd say the rule of thumb is to use a little common sense. If you are asked for data that has security implications, no matter how minor (such as a future flight tail number), you should not put yourself, others, and your company at risk. It's just not worth it. I'd also recommend not posting anything that is not public. You could find yourself in hot water with not only your company, but potentially the SEC if it has stockholder implications, and the DHS/TSA if it has security implications here in the U.S.

I knew a person who got fired for posting internal material on a.net. So it can happen.

Quoting SolarWind (Thread starter):
nyone can get the APROX. loads on any AA flight..by simply going to AA's web site ..go to RES. then "view available seats"..put in the flt.#..Dept city..Arrival city and date...and you will get the seats already sold and taken and the available seats remaining ..in F,C or Y..I realize if a flight is over sold this will just tell you there are zero seats available ..not the exact # over sold seats

Website seat maps provide at best, a very poor estimate of how full a flight is.
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them