jfrworld

UA Flight Attendants Have Hats?

Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:33 am

I flew UA this morning, YVR - SFO and one of the female flight attendants was wearing a hat. It was stylish and actually really made the navy blue uniform less boring and made it a bit classier. I had never seen the hat until today. Why don't more UA flight attendants wear it? Is it a new, optional addition to the uniform or have they always had it?

zruda

RE: UA Flight Attendants Have Hats?

Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:37 am

I can imagine it can be highly annoying when on duty .)
there is no coincidence

jfrworld

Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:42 am

She only wore it during boarding and deplaning. She stashed it once the doors where closed.

mcdu

Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:56 am

The hat is optional for the F/A's. I have to agree with you that is does look good. This is just my perception of working with the F/A's that the folks that wear the hat are Very good with the passengers and crew. A young lady that has been the purser on my flights has done a great job. She is polite and courteous to us in the cockpit and I have noticed when I am back saying good bye to the pax she gets many "thank you for the great flight" remarks from the folks.

flyua

Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:04 am

Dear Jfrworld:

Ah! The hat! Yes, the women's navy blue hat has been an optional accessory ever since our basic navy blue uniform was introduced in the early '90s. Very few women seem to choose to wear it. While not always the case, I've often heard remarked by coworkers that the flight attendants who choose to wear the hat are often a little "odd" in some way or another! I've certainly noticed this, but then I think all of us are odd bunnies. Those who do choose to wear the hat are occasionally subject to pushy questions like, "WHY are you wearing that thing?" "How do you plan to tidy the airplane between flights wearing that?" "Where do plan to store that hat on Ted?" Sometimes those questions are asked behind the hat-wearer's back, along with the patented flight attendant eye rolling. To me, it just sets us apart from the rest of the US flight attendant crowd. Not always a bad thing!

Mcdu: I'm glad you think the hat-wearers are good customer service-providers. I guess we flight attendants can be our own worst critics!

[Edited 2007-04-23 22:07:12]

jfrworld

Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:16 am

Quoting Flyua (Reply 4):
While not always the case, I've often heard remarked by coworkers that the flight attendants who choose to wear the hat are often a little "odd" in some way or another! I've certainly noticed this, but then I think all of us are odd bunnies.

Quoting Flyua (Reply 4):
"How do you plan to tidy the airplane between flights wearing that?"

rotfl 

Hey Flyua,

Your explaination and insight was hysterical! The first thing that popped into my head was the scene from Office Space where the manager at Chotchkies was getting on Jennifer Aniston's case because she only wore the minimal number of flair and didn't go above and beyond like Brian who was wearing 37 pieces of flair instead of 15. I draw the parallel,

lots of flair @ Chotchkies = hat @ UA.

In any case, I had never seen the hat ever until today and I kinda liked it.

mcdu

Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:17 am

Flyua,

I am sorry I did not mean to imply that the non-hat wearers were not professional. However, much like the pilots I am sure you encounter all are different but there is sometime a common element that you might find more to your liking when working whith them. I hate to generalize, but I do tend to like the hat and those that wear it seem to be in step with my thinking about how we get along. My preference is a "we are all here together and the pax are our guest" type of attitude.

I have to say most of the FFDO's that I fly with fit a profile of a group that I prefer not to hang out with, while someone else may think they are their kind of folk. We all have our likes and dislikes.

Take care,
MCDU

flyua

Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:36 am

MCDU: I'm glad to meet you here on airliners.net! It's good to know there's a "we're all in this together" United pilot who posts here. After a long stint of not flying purser positions, I've been working up front on domestic narrowbodies more often lately. I've enjoyed just about all of my interactions with our pilots. Yes, occasionally one of the pilots from the FFDO fold fits a certain profile I, too, care not to deal with, but by-in-large I really do feel our pilots are the cream of the crop: smart, focused, decent. I guess hat-wearing pilots aren't that odd, after all! Hat-wearing flight attendants, well....

JFRWORLD: Don't get used to seeing that hat for too much longer! Our Onboard Service department has been promising for oh these many years that our uniforms are due for a complete overhaul, but lately I hear more frequent, fact-based promises that a new uniform is in the works -- perhaps for next year. Our plastic-buttoned, ill-fitting jackets are getting long at the tooth!

GlobalATL

Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:43 am

Taken with a grain of salt, anytime a cabin crew dons the hat its bound to look smashing. Saw a crew of 4-5 F/A wear the hat while at Dulles. This had to be back in '04. While on the Mobile Lounges, I overheard them tell others they were based in London. Nonetheless, the hat represents grandness, style & worldliness in my book. Have u seen DLs new uniform sporting the hats? H-O-T.
TriStar BusinessElite FedEx AirTran Delta Air Lines oneworld SkyTeam JetBlue/jetBlue MAXjet SkyMiles Eos = good spelling

1stfl94

Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:28 am

I've seen one UA F/A wearing her hat and it makes a big difference, it might not seem much but makes the F/As look more like classic stewardesses, makes it a lot more stylish.

mcdu

Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:44 am

Quoting Flyua (Reply 7):
I'm glad to meet you here on airliners.net! It's good to know there's a "we're all in this together" United pilot who posts here.

flyua,

Glad to meet you also. We need to make the most of our lives. Being bitter is not going to fix anything. I enjoy the job and the people I work with. The clowns at 77W.Wacker will get it eventually, I hope. But there is absolutely no reason that we should not treat each other with civility and respect. If we ever fly together dinner and the first round is always on me.

Cheers,
MCDU

BrianDromey

Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:02 am

Quoting GlobalATL (Reply 8):
I overheard them tell others they were based in London. Nonetheless, the hat represents grandness, style & worldliness in my book. Have u seen DLs new uniform sporting the hats? H-O-T.

That would explain the hat then. At LHR, BA and BD both have hats. I really like the hats, they differentiate teh crews, and allow passengers to see that they are flying on a carrier which is a cut abouve teh low cost airlines of the world.

If it is true that the hat wearers at UA are more service orentiated, and teh othre crew members look down on them, there is something wrong, and its not the hatters who are "odd".

That is just my opinion,
but hey!, what do I know, I only contribute to the wages!
Brian.
Next flights: MAN-ORK-LHR(EI)-MAN(BD); MAN-LHR(BD)-ORK (EI); DUB-ZRH-LAX (LX) LAX-YYZ (AC) YYZ-YHZ-LHR(AC)-DUB(BD)

uaord2000

Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:39 pm

http://www.uniformfreak.com/1united.html

you can see the hat here

-J

ps....i think the hat is hot. i wish more ladies wore it.

UAL777UK

Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:12 pm

I have been on countless flights and I cannot remember see an FA witht he hat on. I for one would love to see them wear it, I think it looks smart and professional.

A340600

Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:51 pm

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 11):
At LHR, BA and BD both have hats

British Airways only use their hats on VIP flights, shame really as they're great.
Despite the name I am a Boeing man through and through!

UnitedTristar

Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:03 pm

Quoting UAORD2000 (Reply 12):
http://www.uniformfreak.com/1united.html

I LOVE the 1968 Uniform. If they are going to change uniforms, l vote for those.

-m

airplane