clickhappy

Didn't Someone Say The Most $$$ For Skybus Was $40

Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:36 am

Weren't people talking about the most expensive Skybus tickets being $40 one way? Surfing around the site I see a few $75 and $150 tickets, one way, not including tax on the BLI-CMH run.

I think people will put up with a LOT for a $10, $20, or $40 fare, but when you start charging $150 each way people are going to expect a lot of service, especially when booking 3 or 4 months out?

$300 RT, and having to pay for luggage, and not getting seat pitch, and having to fly to out of the way airports, seems like a steep hill to climb?

RaginMav

RE: Didn't Someone Say The Most $$$ For Skybus Was $40

Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:40 am

Well, fares were $40 or less, until management read chapter 2 of "how to run an airline", you know, the chapter about yield management...

In all seriousness, I don't think I ever saw anything official about $40 being the max, it was just the highest fare most of the time

CMHSRQ

Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:43 am

I just paid $125 each RT for 3 tickets CMH-OAK. I was told by a Skybus employee that over 46,000 tickets had been sold by 13:00 local today. It's all in what people are willing to pay, basic supply and demand. I see your point on the expecations though.

RIC, CMH, MCI, GSO, FLL, OAK, BUR are they really out of the way airports?
The voice of moderation

clickhappy

Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:43 am

I agree, they need to make money, but when you start charging $300 RT, for an ala carte trip, to BFE, it is no longer such a deal  Smile

No one is going to fly CMH-BLI for $300 when they can fly CVG-SEA for $400.

Especially on a sardine can.

chase

Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:41 am

Quoting Clickhappy (Reply 3):
No one is going to fly CMH-BLI for $300 when they can fly CVG-SEA for $400

I bet they would, if they lived in CMH. Either option would involve approximately the same driving distance, so why not save the $100. I think the issue is that nobody will do either of those things if they can fly CMH-ORD-SEA for $300.

sacamojus

Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:27 am

I personally would never pay $300 R/T on Skybus, but I wouldn't mind being on a plane that is only 80% full because nobobody would pay $300, especially with the seat pitch. People are giving Skybus such a hard time, but I think they will be around for a very long time. Their target customer isn't people who make a decent living that would fly DL, AA, or any other legacy carrier including WN, but rather low income families that will continue to fly Skybus even though they had a horrible time on the flight because they are very price sensitive. It is the Wal-Mart of the skies.

mbm3

Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:33 am

I think this marketing approach will work if they are quickly able to create a buzz regarding cheap fares, regardless of the fact that some of their airports are not all that close to the cities indicated. There are a LOT of people willing to do whatever it takes to get the cheapest fare to their destination (or region). I think there are even more people who will buy in to the perception that a certainly airline is always going to be the cheapest, in the same fashion that most of the American public thinks that WN is always cheapest? Why? Very effective marketing and and inability to directly or easily compare with other airlines. Yes, we aviation and travel geeks certainly know the reality but we are a VERY small segment of the traveling public.
Let Me Tell You, Landing A 772ER Is Harder Than It Looks!

WestJetYQQ

Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:33 am

Quoting CMHSRQ (Reply 2):
I was told by a Skybus employee that over 46,000 tickets had been sold by 13:00 local today

Wow! That sounds like they are selling Very well! That's quite a few, quite fast!

They need to get some money, no fares above $40 makes Skybus a bankrupt airline.  Wink

Cheers
Carson
Will You Try to Change Things? Use the Power that you have, the Power of a Million new Ideas.

mbm3

Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:36 am

Quoting WestJetYQQ (Reply 7):
Wow! That sounds like they are selling Very well! That's quite a few, quite fast!

They need to get some money, no fares above $40 makes Skybus a bankrupt airline.

I think the business model requires them to built quick momentum for a couple months, then move towards getting people to purchase well in advance so they can utilize the cashflow to make money from money.

n844aa

Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:52 am

Quoting Chase (Reply 4):
I bet they would, if they lived in CMH. Either option would involve approximately the same driving distance, so why not save the $100.

Plus they're going to be especially reliant on O&D traffic since they seem to have gone out of their way to make connections through CMH as difficult as possible. And while undoubtedly CMH is a viable source of O&D traffic, I suspect that it will prove insufficient to support a fleet of 60 aircraft.
New airplanes, new employees, low fares, all touchy-feely ... all of them are losers. -Gordon Bethune

itsnotfinals

Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:58 am

Quoting N844AA (Reply 9):
And while undoubtedly CMH is a viable source of O&D traffic, I suspect that it will prove insufficient to support a fleet of 60 aircraft.

All 60 planes are not going to be serving CMH. There are additional cities that will become bases for Skybus, CMH is only where they are starting their operation form at this time due to that being the HQ and where all the start up money came from.
Speedbird 178 Heavy, FINAL runway 27L

mbm3

Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:04 am

Quoting Itsnotfinals (Reply 10):
All 60 planes are not going to be serving CMH. There are additional cities that will become bases for Skybus, CMH is only where they are starting their operation form at this time due to that being the HQ and where all the start up money came from.

It will be very interesting to see the network grow, both in network destinations as well as bases. I think there are a lot of markets with secondary or tertiary airports that could do well with a low cost, low frills airline. In any event, it will be fun to watch and I do hope they do well. If anything, it will give us something to debate for awhile

It would be an absolute hoot to see them start serving BKL here in Cleveland! Bring on the BKL - IFP flights!

tbolt1

Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:53 am

Quoting N844AA (Reply 9):
Plus they're going to be especially reliant on O&D traffic since they seem to have gone out of their way to make connections through CMH as difficult as possible. And while undoubtedly CMH is a viable source of O&D traffic, I suspect that it will prove insufficient to support a fleet of 60 aircraft.

Once again, people don't understand the full story. Those 65 aircraft will not all be based at CMH....there are other "focus" cities that will be added in the years to come targeting cities with demographics like CMH.
Skybus has no "hubs." There are no "connecting" flights. If you are trying to go from Burbank to KFLL via Skybus as of right now, you'd have to buy two seperate trips. Once from BUR-CMH.....get your bags at baggage claim and recheck in for your CMH-FLL flight.
"You can be my wingman anytime."

Tornado82

RE: Didn't Someone Say The Most $$$ For Skybus Was

Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:35 am

Quoting Sacamojus (Reply 5):
but rather low income families that will continue to fly Skybus even though they had a horrible time on the flight because they are very price sensitive. It is the Wal-Mart of the skies.

Then they picked the wrong city. CMH (metro as a whole.. think Dublin, Delaware Co, etc.) has one of the higher levels of disposable incomes in the nation thanks to the average income vs cost of living ratio there.

JetBlueAUS

Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:41 am

On the weekends, its $100 O/w.
Not all of us can be heroes, some of us can only stand on the sidewalk and clap as they go by.