VonRichtofen
Topic Author

SAS Cabin Crew On Strike Yet Again

Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:42 pm

Looks like SAS cabin crew are on strike again. This time it's SAS Denmark cabin crew. This is what, the 3rd time in less than a year now?  Yeah sure

What a joke

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/fn/4743564.html

Kris

EBGflyer

RE: SAS Cabin Crew On Strike Yet Again

Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:37 pm

According to the news in Denmark SAS is contemplating taking the Cabin Attendants Union (CAU) to court.

SAS cabin attendants belong to some of the most priviliged employees in the business. They simply don't want to wake up from their sweet dream. It does hurt to face the reality of competition.

Someone... whoop their little arrogant behinds! ... after they have been fired.
Future flights: CPH-BOS; CPH-SVG; CPH-PVG-HKG-MNL-DVO; CPH-CDG; CPH-NRT; CPH-MIA; CPH-PVG

bastew

Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:49 pm

What changes to their working conditions are they striking over? The article in the link doesn't mention.

CPH-R

Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:46 pm

Sadly they're just the latest in a bunch of workforces in Denmarkwho have been striking while their unions were negotiating new contracts with their employers. What the hell it's supposed to be good for, it's pretty hard to tell. If anything, this would put the employers in a stronger position  

[Edited 2007-04-25 16:49:20]

prebennorholm

Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:27 am

Yeah, SAS Denmark is busy trying to earn the "Strike Trophy" away from Air France. This year they seem to be successful. It is of course very inconvenient for a lot of people. But it really doesn't have the same impact as in older days.

All those strikes have gradually reduced SAS to a far less important player in the Scandinavian airline business.

One impact of the strike is that last minute fares on other airlines skyrocket. And that effect will last for some time into the future. Business travellers looking forward to important trips will book at other airlines and rather pay a lot more on an LCC than they would normally pay at SAS. Just in order to play safe.

The LCC's operating from CPH will be laughing all way to the bank during the next week or two.
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

EBGflyer

Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:32 am

They are cancelling at least 100 flights out of CPH tomorrow due to the illicit strike by the SAS Denmark Cabin Crew.

For the non-danes:
http://www.jp.dk/english_news/artikel:aid=4371308/

I would so love to see the problem makers being laid off.
Future flights: CPH-BOS; CPH-SVG; CPH-PVG-HKG-MNL-DVO; CPH-CDG; CPH-NRT; CPH-MIA; CPH-PVG

Someone83

Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:15 am

So far is all flights operated by SAS Denmark cancelled untill 2pm Thursday, which mean only 50% of the flight CPH-ARN (operated by SAS Sweden), those operated by Cimber and maybe a few Intercontinental flight will operate from CPH tomorrow

andaman

Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:22 am

I have friend at HEL working for SAS, she said SAS Denmark are driving them crazy with the strikes.... not easy to convince people that CPH works fine as a transit hub.
Chinese cookie in SFO: "You're doomed to a life of forever travelling abroad and to be able to afford it!"

CPH-R

Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:00 am

According to Tv2 teletext, one of the reasons they're on strike is to be allowed to have a greater influence on holiday planning. Apparently, most of them have had their holiday time placed in April, May & June, making it impossible to take a holiday at other times of the year.

Bicoastal

Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:26 am

Hmmm.....you voluntarily go to work in an industry that serves travellers during peak holiday periods. Then you complain about having to work during those busy periods. I have no sympathy. Find another job. Airlines jobs are 24/7/365. If you don't like it, leave.
Airliners.net has many forums. It has spell check and search functions. Use them before posting!

tiago701

Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:33 am

Quoting Prebennorholm (Reply 4):
One impact of the strike is thatrnlastrnminute fares on other airlines skyrocket. And that effect willrnlast forrnsome time into the future. Business travellers lookingrnforward tornimportant trips will book at other airlines and ratherrnpay a lot morernon an LCC than they would normally pay at SAS. Justrnin order to playrnsafe.

The LCC's operating from CPH will be laughing all way to the bank during the next week or two.

It happened to me... Was in CPH last tuesday evening bound to LHR with SK which obviously didn't happen. So, my only option was to buy EasyJet to STN (last flight of the day to LON).

Regardless what happened i must say that I've had one the best flights ever. LHR - CPH the previous day (monday 23rd). Was my first flight with SK and I was very impressed both with the comfort and service onboard, simply excellent. Will definitely fly SK again.

Tiago

OYRJA

Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:04 pm

Quoting VonRichtofen (Thread starter):
This time it's SAS Denmark cabin crew

Its always SAS Denmark. And its pretty embarrasing. Just like Preben is saying as well. We are taking the Strike Trophy away from AF soon.

Quoting VonRichtofen (Thread starter):
This is what, the 3rd time in less than a year now?

That is actually correct. This is the 3rd time in 1 year.

Someone83

Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:44 pm

And SAS Denmark have now cancelleld all flights out of CPH for the rest of the they.

SAS International will however operate all their intercontinental flight except for CPH-SEA

ANd most important: SAS DK has just announced that the during the day will send out letters to all the striking F/A telling them to return the access card, uniforms and parking permits

Source: (Only in Danish)
http://borsen.dk/nyhed/108386/

SAS A340

Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:16 pm

Quoting Someone83 (Reply 12):
F/A telling them to return the access card, uniforms and parking permits

This is good!! 3 strikes in a year!!! CPH should not be the main hub no more.

Quoting Bicoastal (Reply 9):
Hmmm.....you voluntarily go to work in an industry that serves travellers during peak holiday periods. Then you complain about having to work during those busy periods. I have no sympathy. Find another job. Airlines jobs are 24/7/365. If you don't like it, leave.

I agree with you 100%!!
It's not what u do,it's how u do it!

DABZF

Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:56 pm

Quoting Tiago701 (Reply 10):
I was very impressed both with the comfort and service onboard, simply excellent. Will definitely fly SK again.

... are you sure that was SK you flew with???  Wink I assume it was not in economy, because the service in SK Y is non-existing!

When I was living in CPH - think it was around 3 years ago SK (cabin crew -again) strike blew my vacation! t Angry

Quoting Bicoastal (Reply 9):

Amen to that!
I like driving backwards in the fog cause it doesn't remind me of anything - Chris Cornell

CPH-R

Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:06 pm

This is not only hurting SAS, but also one of the charter companies they fly for. Star Tours have 2500 customers flying with SAS on saturday, and if this gridlock remains, there's going to be trouble. Especially since the other LCC's operating from CPH have upped their prices quite significantly, some charging up to 3700 DKK (~€500) for flights of less than an hour.

Kevin777

Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:39 pm

Not again..!

As much as I appreciate my national airline, and as much as I generally appreciate the work of the SAS people, I can't help hating them in a situation like this! (But let's remember, it's not all of them who are on strike, and far from all of them agree with the strike)

Everytime things turn just a little bit positive for SAS, the staff goes on strike! What is their problem??!?!?! This is 2007, not 1985, Jan Carlzon, a protected environment and tickets to London going for DKK 6.000 o/w! GET REAL YOU LAZY BASTARDS (no offence to the many people at SAS who do not support this strike).

Nice move to send them all "nice" letters, and to get crew down from OSL and ARN to take care of the intercon though..!..

Grow up, get real and get back to work, NOW, you've got an airline to run.

Kevin777
"I was waiting for you at DFW, but you must have been in LUV" CPH-HAM-CPH CR9

Someone83

Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:57 am

The strike is over and the F/A will return to their duties Friday morning.

However, no agreement has been made and the new deadline is Monday 30. April

tiago701

Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:56 am

Quoting DABZF (Reply 14):
... are you sure that was SK you flew with??? Wink I assume it was not in economy, because the service in SK Y is non-existing!

Yeah, forgot to mention that i flew in C.

CPH757

Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:19 am

The kids are back to work on friday! Wow, I feel really sorry for the cabin attendants, now they will only have a two-day weekend. Poor souls...
Last flight: SAW-CPH on H9 on 02/11/09 - Next Flights: 23/12/09 CPH-AAL on QI, 30/12/09 CPH-LHR on SK, 19/01/10 CPH-CDG-

luv2fly

Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:22 am

Quoting OYRJA (Reply 11):
Its always SAS Denmark. And its pretty embarrasing. Just like Preben is saying as well. We are taking the Strike Trophy away from AF soon.

I thought AZ was the leader?
You can cut the irony with a knife

Tango-Bravo

Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:54 am

Quoting Prebennorholm (Reply 4):
Yeah, SAS Denmark is busy trying to earn the "Strike Trophy" away from Air France.

Not to overlook another solid contender for this trophy... Alitalia Wink

Someone83

Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:54 pm

Quoting DABZF (Reply 14):
Quoting Tiago701 (Reply 10):
I was very impressed both with the comfort and service onboard, simply excellent. Will definitely fly SK again.

... are you sure that was SK you flew with??? I assume it was not in economy, because the service in SK Y is non-existing!

Actually SAS's Y = Economy Extra where they serve free food and drinks, however at M which is economy do you have to pay for it.

SK has 3 classes on intra-European and Intercontinental flights (Business (C), Economy Extra (Y), and Economy (M)), and on intra-Scandinavian flight do they have 2, Eco Extra (Y) and Economy (M), while domestic flights are 1 class service (M)

DABZF

Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:49 pm

Quoting Someone83 (Reply 21):
Actually SAS's Y = Economy Extra where they serve free food and drinks, however at M which is economy do you have to pay for it.

...yeah sorry... of course I meant M in my earlier post...  sorry 

Does anybody know the result? Strike was about "unsuitable working conditions" and "inflexible vacation times" as far as I know!? It has also been mentioned that the strike was illegal... according to both SAS and the union (CAU)!?
If it was a strike arranged by the employees by themself without union support... they are even more stupid than I were able to imagine...
I like driving backwards in the fog cause it doesn't remind me of anything - Chris Cornell

okay

Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:15 pm

Quoting DABZF (Reply 23):

I think it is certainly not correct to strike if it is illegal. But this kind of action also goes to tell how frustrated the employees must be of their working conditions. I don't think anyone would strike just for nothing and especially as the consequenses of a strike, legal or illegal, are always severe. They really must feel like nothing matters as they are ready to do this. I don't like such comment as what DABZF said: "they are even more stupid than I were able to imagine..." Like it is all their fault. We shall remember, something has driven them to such desperate action! Or am I missing something here?

EBGflyer

Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:48 pm

AFAIK, it's only a fraction of the Cabin Attendants Union who are the troublemakers. Unfortunately, the chairman of CAU, Verner Lundtoft Jensen is among them.

The Danish media mentions a general assembly is to be held next week. A likely outcome is that the current chairman will be removed from his position or step down himself.

Hopefully this can lead to winds of change for SAS ... more of the smoother kind and less of the turbulent!

Perhaps, SAS Cabin Crew will enter the same world as the rest of us instead of constantly coming forth with unrealistic demands.

I welcome them to the real world.

Someone83

Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:13 am

According to the rumours have quite alot of SK DKs flight attendants know resigned from CAU

Someone83

Thu May 03, 2007 10:03 pm

SAS's CEO Mats Jansson have today announced that SAS Denmark will loose their monopoly between CPH and OSL due to the strikes and that they will increase the focus on SAS Norway and SAS Sweden due to the troubles in SAS Denmark

scalebuilder

Fri May 04, 2007 8:46 am

Quoting OkAY (Reply 24):
I think it is certainly not correct to strike if it is illegal. But this kind of action also goes to tell how frustrated the employees must be of their working conditions. I don't think anyone would strike just for nothing and especially as the consequenses of a strike, legal or illegal, are always severe. They really must feel like nothing matters as they are ready to do this. I don't like such comment as what DABZF said: "they are even more stupid than I were able to imagine..." Like it is all their fault. We shall remember, something has driven them to such desperate action! Or am I missing something here?

Your comment raises additional questions: how come it is only the cabin attendants in Denmark that chose to go on an illegal strike? Why do not colleagues from Sweden and Norway go along to express their sympathy with them, and who work under similar conditions? Likely because they are sick and tired of it all. Most employees want to work in a place and for a company that is stable, and where tomorrow is predictable. I find it really hard to believe that the Danish based cabin crew is worked so hard and face such unreasonable working conditions that they have to resort to an illegal strike to ensure their survival. Does this sound likely to you in a country with some of the strictest labor laws in the world?

I think it is time for the tough talk, including terminations, like we heard of today from Mats Jansson. You would think that those in charge of the unions would do some due diligence before they call union members to illegal action. This strike seemed really impulsive, and without much thought and reflection, and it would not surprise me that there are many, many regrets among the union members that felt obliged to follow suit.

I'm not surprised at all that operations from Denmark may be moved or outsourced to either Sweden or Norway where the labor unions seem to be more stable and predictable. Enough is enough!

Scalebuilder
Go the extra mile......and avoid the traffic!!!

CPHGuard

Fri May 04, 2007 11:23 pm

Quoting Scalebuilder (Reply 27):
I think it is time for the tough talk, including terminations, like we heard of today from Mats Jansson.

You think it's time for terminations?

Maybe you should consider what you are really saying, because you clearly have absolutely NO idea what you are talking about.

My girlfriend is a cabinattendant with SAS Denmark. She has been employed there for 4 months now, and she is absolutely thrilled about her new job.

Unfortunately there has been some strikes lately. She has not been on strike with the rest of the cabinattendants, because you are employed on a special contract for the first 6 months.

BUT... If there will be terminations within SAS Denmark, she will for sure be one of the persons fired, because she is one of the new employees. It will not be the persons responsible for the strike that will be fired. They are sitting securely in their chair.

So the thing is, she is extremely concerned about losing her dream job, over some strikes she has not been a part of.
But YOU think that she should be laid off...

I guess you are just an ignorant fool.

Thank you very much sir.

Someone83

Fri May 04, 2007 11:37 pm

Quoting CPHGuard (Reply 29):
BUT... If there will be terminations within SAS Denmark, she will for sure be one of the persons fired, because she is one of the new employees. It will not be the persons responsible for the strike that will be fired. They are sitting securely in their chair.

Not necessary, although unfortunately it is less likely, but SAS is allowed according to the law, to fire those that took part in the illegal strikes

CPHGuard

Fri May 04, 2007 11:49 pm

Quoting Someone83 (Reply 30):
Not necessary, although unfortunately it is less likely, but SAS is allowed according to the law, to fire those that took part in the illegal strikes

The thing is, that SAS will officially not lay anyone off due to the strike.

They will do it because of what they call restructuring, and it will certainly be the "youngest" employees that will be fired.

Lemurs

Sat May 05, 2007 1:23 am

Quoting CPHGuard (Reply 31):
The thing is, that SAS will officially not lay anyone off due to the strike.

They will do it because of what they call restructuring, and it will certainly be the "youngest" employees that will be fired.

Well that would make SAS the ignorant fools, not the poster who suggested firings...any rational person would fire the troublemakers who broke their contract...ignorant fools would hide behind a restructuring.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those that don't.

LaPaige

Sat May 05, 2007 10:14 pm

I'm cabin crew with SAS Sweden and have been employed by them for nearly ten years.

SAS Denmark, not only the cabin crew department, is responsible for over 70 illegal strikes in a period of ten years. Around half of those have affected our customers. This last strike affected 60 000 customers and resulted in over cancelled 700 flights and a cost of approximately 100 000 000 DKK! The long haul flights which did depart later on were crewed by cabin crew from Norway and Sweden. Praise!

The cabin crew in Denmark also went on an illegal strike in the beginning of March this year. They refused to work and sat in the crew room for a couple of hours until they were convinced to return to duty. As for this latest strike, they were actually with immediate action to return to duty the Danish Labour Court, an order which was ignored. The court had inserted a penalty fee of 40 DKK per hour to all those who were on a strike and also informed if they were to continue their strike, the fee would increase to 70 DKK per hour.

Last year in September, the cabin crew in Denmark also threatened to go on a strike, shortly after the alert of the Swedish cabin crew's strike had been abolished. Norway also threatened to strike in April last year but for a more obvious reason. As a few of you know, SAS Norway and Braathens emerged to one airline a couple of years ago. Cabin crew from both airlines continued to worked on previous agreements from each airline (cabin crew belonging to the same airline had two different agreements, depending on previous employer!). Those agreements had EXTREMELY great differences in comparance. Cabin crew from Braathens was the most beneficial one and those from SAS were actually denied by the management to work under same conditions.

The difference with the strike threat cabin crew in Sweden made last year is that our strike was legally supported as our collective agreement from 2004 was to expire and a convenient settlement had not been reached between the management and our cabin crew union. The demands were sufficient rest between flights, indicated lunch breaks (which was not indicated in previous agreement, resulting in work lasting six to eight hours work before break) and regulated lengths of shifts (this was also not mentioned in previous agreement, resulting in shifts lasting up to 16 hours including overtime). We also worked without any overtime payment. If there was a delay (which does occur pretty often in this business), we would only receive the regular time compensation. The management of our union felt the negotiators weren't able to reach any further, therefore interupted the negotiations and signed an agreement which our negotiators hadn't approved.

Both Norway and Sweden have agreed on extremely distressful deteriorating changes in work conditions as to in order to prevent any further firings. Danmark has done very slim in this area.

But, you've got to realise the differences in the collective agreements between the three cabin crew departments. SAS Danmark has the most beneficial one compared to Norway and Sweden. They work a lot less, yet their salary is higher. For instance, after a long haul flight they are entitled to five days off, as in comparance Sweden who are only entitled to two days. The working conditions at SAS Sweden are actually so rough that 12% of the cabin crew are on sick leave and many have applied for part-time.

The cabin crew in Denmark also claim the airline has the poorest number of cabin crew onboard in comparance with airlines in Europe. Once again, if you compare to Norway and Sweden which in most cases operate with minimum cabin crew, there is a great difference. Denmark is rarely operating with minimum crew and with the service concept on SAS these days, any additional crew is actually not required. They also wish to have much more influence in their holiday requests. Obviously, not everyone can be granted annual leave in the peak period from June to August. If that's the case, there wouldn't be any people left to work and obviously everyone who works in this profession would naturally be aware of that as well! This is not the typical 9-5 job with weekends off and annual leave taking place every year in the summer.

Finally, the cabin crew in Denmark has extremely well work conditions compared to their co-workers in Norway and Sweden. Last week's strike in Denmark has very little supportance, if any, and if they are that miserable perhaps they should re-consider their jobs.

Also very sorry to hear that those willing to work were denied by pickets. Frankly, many innocent people will be affected by the restructure to take place.
La Paige

LaPaige

Sat May 05, 2007 10:53 pm

Quoting Someone83 (Reply 27):
SAS's CEO Mats Jansson have today announced that SAS Denmark will loose their monopoly between CPH and OSL due to the strikes and that they will increase the focus on SAS Norway and SAS Sweden due to the troubles in SAS Denmark

And yes, it is true SAS Danmark is loosing their traffic on CPH-OSL (all of those flights are as of today operated solely by SAS Denmark) and CPH-ARN (around half of those flights is operated by SAS Sweden). The purpose of this is to guarantee the traffic will remain unaffected should another strike in Denmark occur in the future. The routes CPH-OSL, OSL-ARN and ARN-CPH (the triangle system) are too important for SAS to be affected. If these three routes are stable, SAS would also be able to make sure the long haul traffic from CPH will not be affected as cabin crew from Norway and Sweden would operate those.
La Paige

scalebuilder

Sun May 06, 2007 12:17 am

Quoting CPHGuard (Reply 29):

Actually I think your girlfriend should be among those to stay on. Why shouldn't she if she likes her job? I think this is the kind of employee that this airline is in need of. It seems to me that the entire Danish based cabin crew needs a healthy turnover to get people back on the job and who enjoy their work too. It is hard to believe that the consequence of an illegal strike should somehow be proportionate to seniority. If that is the case, you may as well give up trying to make any change. That is how hopeless this situation has become.

I realize that labor laws in Denmark are though, and that labor contracts are complicated with all kinds of stipulations. However, this is the root of the problem - the stale cultural thinking of employees who have made it to the top of the food chain and who believe that they deserve to stay there too.

So is it so that in Denmark nobody can be fired or laid off for whatever reason? Reading through LAPAIGE's post above, there have been approximately 70 illegal strikes in the past 10 years. That's 7 per year, and more than one every other month. You would think that should have provided plenty of sufficient grounds to let people go.

One idea is to simply pay the cabin attendants who constantly do not want to show up for work their full salary not to show up for work at all so that they can be replaced with those who do. It can't be so tough to sit at home all day and be compensated for it too. Right now I sense, without having done any math, that those who call for a strike and those who go along with it are costing the airline more by striking than the cost of employing them.

Scalebuilder

CPHGuard

Sun May 06, 2007 12:29 am

Quoting LaPaige (Reply 34):
And yes, it is true SAS Danmark is loosing their traffic on CPH-OSL (all of those flights are as of today operated solely by SAS Denmark) and CPH-ARN (around half of those flights is operated by SAS Sweden).

I have to correct you on this one.

Yesterday, the CEO of danish operations Susanne Larsen denied, that there would be any changes to the CPH-ARN route. As for now 50% of this route is operated by SAS Denmark, and this will continue.

She also said, that there would be structural changes within SAS Denmark, but she denied that anyone would be fired now.

Link here, only in danish:

http://www.bt.dk/article/20070503/PC.../705030380&SearchID=73280162517913

kiramakora

Sun May 06, 2007 12:34 am

Quoting LaPaige (Reply 33):
For instance, after a long haul flight they are entitled to five days off,

They get 5 days off between long-haul flights!?!! Wow.

LaPaige

Sun May 06, 2007 12:52 am

CPHGuard, according to the article she says she cannot comment what consequences the restructure may include.

It remains to be seen what will happen. I believe it's time the management, once and for all, takes some severe actions in order to prevent any further strikes of this kind. As late as yesterday our CEO officially claimed there would be a restructuring of the network and they would no longer accept this kind of behaviour. It's actually very SAD if they won't stand by their word this time.

Scalebuilder, of course people can be sacked for certain reasons, even in Denmark. People refused to work and they were ordered to return to duty by the Danish Labour Court but they ignored this order.
La Paige

Kevin777

Sun May 06, 2007 1:34 am

I'm cabin crew with SAS Sweden and have been employed by them for nearly ten years.

La Paige, welcome to a.net, and I am right behind you. I honestly feel ashamed of being Danish sometimes when I see how we behave in the SAS organization.

Quoting Kiramakora (Reply 37):
For instance, after a long haul flight they are entitled to five days off,

They get 5 days off between long-haul flights!?!! Wow.

Spoiled brats.

The golden route for SK long-haul personel was untill a short while ago CPH-BKK-SIN. You flew CPH-BKK, had two days in a five star resort in Bangkok, then flew the short BKK-SIN-BKK hop (and now you so need a break again of course), then two more days of luxury in Bangkok, and then BKK-CPH - oh yes, and then five days off, of course. At salaries up to 5.000 EUR per month. Sends shivers down your spine.

Kevin777

scalebuilder

Sun May 06, 2007 2:40 am

Quoting LaPaige (Reply 38):
Scalebuilder, of course people can be sacked for certain reasons, even in Denmark. People refused to work and they were ordered to return to duty by the Danish Labour Court but they ignored this order.

So why aren't they fired by now??

LaPaige

Sun May 06, 2007 7:17 pm

Kevin777, thank you for your welcoming!

I remember that golden routing. I also remember a couple of pilots and cabin crew claiming they would need several days off after arrival back in Scandinavia due to the time difference (obviously they get jetlaged after a 24 hour stop, which most SK long haul destinations are today. DXB will commence shortly with a layover of around two days. That flight isn't very long, yet they will receive five days off after arrival in CPH). I can't actually see the logics. If you compare to BA WW LHR for instance, they receive either two or three days off after a long-haul flight, depending on the length of the flight, and a huge amount of their destinations are a lot further away than SK's ones.

And yes, cabin crew in Denmark work a lot less but they've got the highest salaries in the company.

Scalebuilder, the CEO said it would take three to six months to organise everything. I doubt they can sack people with immediate action considering they are, according to themselves, short-staffed in CPH. But, rumour also claims nobody will actually be sacked. It remains to be seen what will happen.
La Paige

Kevin777

Sun May 06, 2007 7:42 pm

Quoting LaPaige (Reply 41):
obviously they get jetlaged after a 24 hour stop, which most SK long haul destinations are today. DXB will commence shortly with a layover of around two days. That flight isn't very long, yet they will receive five days off after arrival in CPH).

What!?!??!!!!! Get real, people, DXB is hardly even intercon! This is crazy!

Listening to stories like them above I really - seriously - think that the only solution can be to do a Sabena/Swissair for SAS Denmark. However unlikely it may sound...

Lay them ALL off, and rehire those who settle for, say, a nice day in sunny DXB in return for their wannabe-intercon flight, rather than five days off in CPH to, well, scratch their whatevers (and spent all their money)

No offence to all the Danish SK staff who do an honest, hard work and would indeed settle for less - but MAJOR offence to the spoiled brats who can't seem to accept the harsh realities of todays aviation, and in particular the harsh realities of our national pride IMO: SAS

Kevin777  Smile

Someone83

Mon May 07, 2007 6:45 pm

And no is it official, SAS Norway will take over all the 13 daily return trips between OSL and CPH and SAS SE will take over all the 15 daily return trips between ARN and CPH within 6 months.

My guess is that a few MDs will be transfered from SAS DK to SE, while SAS SE then will send a few 737NG over to SAS NO.

I don't know what happens with the 5-6 daily CPH-SVG, CPH-BGO and CPH-GOT, but as far as I've understood will SAS DK keep them

LaPaige

Mon May 07, 2007 7:15 pm

Someone83, is it official?

The chairman of the Cabin Attendans Union (CAU, the union for Danish SAS Cabin Crew) said that according to their contract a certain number of flights between CPH-ARN must be crewed with Danish cabin crew. If that's the case, it could cause severe problems for SAS's restructuring. As well when CAU will negotiate their collective agreement, I actually doubt they will decline their entire operation on intra-Scandinavian routes. People should remember CAU is extremely powerful!

Kevin777, that's actually the case with SAS Denmark! Unfortunately a huge amount of the crew are still in the world of monopoly when SAS were able to spoil their staff a little bit. Times have changed extremely rapidly and not everyone has been able, or wants to acclimatize to the new era.
La Paige

CPHGuard

Mon May 07, 2007 11:49 pm

Quoting Someone83 (Reply 42):
And no is it official, SAS Norway will take over all the 13 daily return trips between OSL and CPH and SAS SE will take over all the 15 daily return trips between ARN and CPH within 6 months.

Do you have a source, confirming this?

As i stated in a previous post (with a link), the danish CEO Susanne Larsen, denied this only 3 days ago.

LaPaige

Mon May 07, 2007 11:56 pm

CPHGuard, according to following article 200 cabin crew in Denmark will be terminated.

http://www.standby.dk/4435.0.html?&t...i1[showUid]=23496&cHash=bcff2e993c
La Paige

Sandager

Tue May 08, 2007 12:32 am

Well it is no news that the Swedish wished they controlled SAS 100% and had the main base in ARN. no news at all.
That being said I do not sympathize with the strike that took place.
however to critisize the crew on the DXB route in specific is just stupid. At least to me. No problem on the way out. It is scheduled to take 6:30 from CPH to DXB. BUT if the crew should do the return flight they would have been on the way for 14 or 15 hours if we calculate a 2 hours stop in DXB. But NOT including the time before the flight from CPH, that is an extra hour. So do you really want to be on an aircraft where the pilots has been working for 15 hours? It should be no problem on most flights. but what will happen the day when something goes wrong on approach to CPH after working for 15 hours?
Well I think they deserve the stop in DXB, it is our safety, the costumers. however 5 days off at home after a long haul flight? To much if true. I just can't fit this into the rumour that the long haul pilots with SK are those working the most, close to the limit.

Someone83

Tue May 08, 2007 12:53 am

Quoting LaPaige (Reply 40):
DXB will commence shortly with a layover of around two days. That flight isn't very long,

With a 3x weekly, a 24hr stop is quite difficult  Wink

LaPaige

Tue May 08, 2007 1:02 am

Quoting LaPaige (Reply 41):
DXB will commence shortly with a layover of around two days. That flight isn't very long, yet they will receive five days off after arrival in CPH

Someone83, read my entire post and you will see I was speaking about the number of days off after arrival back from DXB!
La Paige