Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

mah584jr
Topic Author

US Reports 1Q Profit Of $66 Million

Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:02 am

http://www.thestreet.com/_googlen/ne..._ven=GOOGLEN&cm_cat=FREE&cm_ite=NA

Despite all the storms and reservations problems, US posted a larger profit than expected.

LGA777

RE: US Reports 1Q Profit Of $66 Million

Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:10 am

Here are some more details, surprised this is just now making it onto the a.net forums.

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/st...story/04-26-2007/0004574408&EDATE=

Regards

LGA777

SHUPirate1

Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:12 am

Doug had this to comment:

"In spite of these profits, we need to do much better...and I need to help myself to more profit sharing!"

Just kidding, of course...good job, US Airways!

HPRamper

Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:15 am

I'm happier to see the steps US is taking to make improvements across the system, including hiring 1000 more employees to alleviate the understaffing issues, and setting up Passenger Assistance programs in the East hubs as they already do at PHX, to notify passengers if a flight is cancelled or delayed, and taking action to fix the problem and get the passenger where they need to go.

vega

Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:57 am

Quoting HPRamper (Reply 3):
I'm happier to see the steps US is taking to make improvements across the system, including hiring 1000 more employees to alleviate the understaffing issues,

Although this may appear as a positive, I'm not certain how the investment community views it. After all. it may reduce future profit potential - 1000 more employees (at $35K average including all benefits, overhead, etc. = $35M/Year) is no small investment. The theory probably is that the "investment" will pay for itself by enticing more premium passengers and pacify disgruntled/exiting FFs. There is also the ? as to how much of the personnel problems in the East are caused by lack of motivation issues and associated low morale and how much is caused by short staffing.

F9Animal

Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:26 am

Quoting Vega (Reply 4):
Although this may appear as a positive, I'm not certain how the investment community views it. After all. it may reduce future profit potential - 1000 more employees (at $35K average including all benefits, overhead, etc. = $35M/Year) is no small investment. The theory probably is that the "investment" will pay for itself by enticing more premium passengers and pacify disgruntled/exiting FFs. There is also the ? as to how much of the personnel problems in the East are caused by lack of motivation issues and associated low morale and how much is caused by short staffing.

Great point. But, if you look at the operational issues, they could have used a majority of those extra hands, which in turn would have likely increased the profit. It also reduces the amount of subcontracting. Alaska has proven that subcontracting costs them in the end. I have no doubt that the next quarter may be a nice profit, minus the increasing cost of fuel.

The marriage of US and HP has proven to us that a merger can be successful. While it is still relatively new, I think the merger will be a complete success to their future. Doug Parker did a heck of a job of blaming their operational issues on management, not the employees. That takes guts to admit, and he held back no punches. That is a man that holds people accountable for mistakes, and he has and is taking the steps to improve the issues.

nzrich

Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:58 am

Congratulations to US .. Its a good airline thats improving and that is good to see.. Everytime i have flown them i have had a good experience not that i am a frequent traveller in America considering i live in NZ ..

In the end its the staff that make a airline and if you can employ more staff and make the staff less pressured im sure you will see the ground staff much more happy and in return making the passengers experience more enjoyable .. As for staff in the air i have always found them to be very friendly from the flights i have taken ..

cactusmurf

Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:34 am

In addition to the increased staffing levels and new POC positions, US is also installing 600 new kiosks at its east coast stations to replace the ones that went awol after the migration. Plans are also calling for enhanced inflight services which will include:

On Board the Plane

Beginning as early as June and continuing throughout the fall, US Airways will make a series of upgrades to its in-flight experience focusing specifically on its transcontinental and transatlantic flights. Christ continued, “Flight attendants and customers have provided helpful input on our current product offering and have suggested ways we can enhance the in-flight experience, including upgraded meals and an improved wine selection.”

Among the enhancements:

First and Envoy Class (Domestic and Transatlantic)

· Enhance the quality of meal and snack options as well as wine offerings

· Add glassware and silverware on meal flights

· Modify in-flight service procedures to enhance our customer’s overall experience

Coach and Economy Class (Domestic and Transatlantic)

· Buy on Board – improve the food quality, expand the product offering and increase the number of meals stocked on each flight

· Test premium beverages for sale such as wines by the glass

· Improve the quality and modify the complimentary meals in Economy Class on transatlantic flights

Boeing 757 Transatlantic Cabin Upgrade

The airline is also improving cabin amenities on all Boeing 757s dedicated to its transatlantic flights. These fleet improvements will be on the line in May and include:

· Envoy Class

o Installed fully-electric leather seats with “new look” fabric, adjustable headrests, 160 degree recline, 60 “ pitch and 110 volt AC power

o Offer new personal video and audio entertainment devices with on-demand entertainment options

o New digital media file servers for better in-flight video and audio entertainment quality, combined with LCD flat screens for dramatically improved picture quality

o Refreshed cabin interior with “new look” sidewalls and dividers, in addition to new overhead bin doors, lavatories and carpet for a clean, modern appearance

· Economy Class

o New leather seating

o New digital media file servers for better in-flight video and audio entertainment quality

o Replace old monitors with LCD flat screens for dramatically improved picture quality

o Refreshed cabin interior with “new look” sidewalls and dividers, in addition to new overhead bin doors, lavatories and carpet for a clean, modern appearance

Boeing 767 Fleet Cabin Upgrade

As previously announced, the airline continues its $20 million capital improvement plan to upgrade its 767 fleet. Although the first overhaul won’t roll out on the line until the first quarter 2008, improvements will include:

· Envoy Class

o Install new near lie-flat seats with “new look” seat fabric, drop-down armrests, 110 volt AC power, oversized tray tables, privacy dividers and built-in water bottle storage

o Offer new personal video and audio entertainment devices with on-demand entertainment options

o New digital media file servers for better in-flight video and audio entertainment quality combined with new LCD flat screens

· Economy Class

o New digital media file servers for better in-flight video and audio entertainment quality

o Replace old monitors with LCD flat screens for dramatically improved picture quality

o Install new leather seating

PSA727

Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:33 pm

That's actually a good profit for the worst quarter of the year. Especially since
Easter week was in April.
Just flew them today from FRA to CLT on a newly configured newly painted 333.
The service was good. The food was edible. Don't know why everyone is always
bitching about them. They could enhance the service by stopping the plug for
the BofA Visa credit card. I've heard that way too many times!

The seat pitch in coach between the 2 L/R and 3 L/R doors (where I was seated)
didn't seem to take a hit with the changing out of the Envoy seats for 4 rows of
coach. Maybe the pitch was reduced in the last section of the airplane. Hope they use this revenue to upgrade the cabins of the 737s that they are keeping, also.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos