clickhappy

Top Skybus Walk Up Fare - $330 - One Way

Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:42 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/25/bu...y.html?_r=1&ref=travel&oref=slogin

Skybus’s top walk-up fare will be $330 one way, before taxes. But it has many very low fares — $40, $50, $75 — one way, before taxes.

What is WNs top walk up fare, one way? $299?

mnevans

RE: Top Skybus Walk Up Fare - $330 - One Way

Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:49 pm

That's the most that I've ever seen. I think this fare structure might have caught a few people on a.net off guard. I know it got me! I think their success may be a little more imminent now that they aren't selling every ticket at 10 bucks and trying to make money back by peddling street-vendor stuff in your face the whole time. As its been said before, this is going to be the Wally World of airlines, it achieves its goal: transportation. How they get there... you may be better off not knowing.

richierich

Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:59 pm

Quoting Mnevans (Reply 1):
I think their success may be a little more imminent now that they aren't selling every ticket at 10 bucks and trying to make money back by peddling street-vendor stuff in your face the whole time.

Not so fast there, dude. If Skybus is going to be charging more 'realistic' fares, which I think it has to do, why would people want to fly them? If their website is anything to go by, they are truly the Greyhound of the skies (edit: at least the bus company lets you put bags below without charging extra). If their fares are in similar ranges to that of WN, FL, B6, etc. - not to mention all the legacy majors that will surely have reduced fares in their markets - why would anybody actually want to fly them?

I have my doubts about their business model but I'd be happy if they proved me wrong. I'm just not sure that American tastes are ready to support a Ryanair/Greyhound airline when there are still some serious questions about its operations.
None shall pass!!!!

Logos

Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:36 pm

Quoting Richierich (Reply 2):
Not so fast there, dude. If Skybus is going to be charging more 'realistic' fares, which I think it has to do, why would people want to fly them? If their website is anything to go by, they are truly the Greyhound of the skies (edit: at least the bus company lets you put bags below without charging extra). If their fares are in similar ranges to that of WN, FL, B6, etc. - not to mention all the legacy majors that will surely have reduced fares in their markets - why would anybody actually want to fly them?

Your point is well taken - who would want this experience at this price? I actually think people will put up with it for the right price. But my guess is that demand drops off starting at $50 each way. My problem with their model has a lot more to do with CMH as the focus of their (strictly O&D) operations than with the lack of amenities. However, as the price goes up, people will start to grow weary of the experience pretty quickly.

I think this may be a fare that they end up extracting from people who try to book connections through CMH and are stranded because of delays or other people who need to change their reservation for some reason. It will undoubtedly be the last time the people in question fly Skybus.

Cheers,
Dave in Orlando
Too many types flown to list

Poitin

Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:01 am

Quoting Mnevans (Reply 1):
I think their success may be a little more imminent now that they aren't selling every ticket at 10 bucks and trying to make money back by peddling street-vendor stuff in your face the whole time.

That is the "Catch 22" of their "business plan". What most people miss in their comparison of Skybust to Ryanair is that Ryanair was the first to do LCC in Europe and has many routes that actually go to and from places people want to go.
Skybus is trying to get started in a already developed market, and does not have any routes people would want to use. If their plan is to have people buy two tickets and change in CMH, that will not work when people realize that they have to spend the night at CMH because of the route structure.
Now so, have ye time fer a pint?

DL4EVR

Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:25 am

I would really love to meet the sucker who would pay $660 r/t for Greyhound Air...I mean Skybus. You couldn't catch me on that "airline" for $10 o/w...let alone $330!!!
We Love To Fly And It Shows.

ScottB

Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:56 am

Quoting Clickhappy (Thread starter):

Currently $339. But the top walk-up fare at WN is refundable and may be changed without a fee -- and you can even talk to a person (in the U.S.) on the phone!

If Skybus is going to be charging more 'realistic' fares, which I think it has to do, why would people want to fly them?

That's what I don't get, either. Why would anyone pay the fares SkyBus needs to make a profit when they could get a much, much better product for the same price on WN, B6, DL, AA, UA, etc.? Why would a business traveler take SkyBus to PSM to get to Boston if you can get to BOS non-stop on another airline for a reasonable fare?

Quoting Logos (Reply 3):
But my guess is that demand drops off starting at $50 each way.

I think that the "with fares that cheap, what the heck?" demand on shorter-haul routes drops off at $30-50 each way and around $75 on longer-haul routes. But even that sort of demand is going to be limited on days like Tuesday or Wednesday since most adults are at work and even OSU students are hypothetically supposed to be in class.

And as I said in another thread...I would only book those $10 fares on flights which are virtually certain to not oversell. If the flight oversells and they don't get enough volunteers (which they won't, since the maximum compensation for volunteers is a voucher for $100), they will involuntarily deny boarding to the $10 passengers, since the compensation is double the value of the fare; i.e. $20. And with one or two flights a day, you might get to your destination in a few days.

BlueElephant

Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:06 am

Quoting Poitin (Reply 4):
Skybus is trying to get started in a already developed market, and does not have any routes people would want to use. If their plan is to have people buy two tickets and change in CMH, that will not work when people realize that they have to spend the night at CMH because of the route structure.

I understand what you're saying but I have to say, you're partially incorrect in your thinking. When southwest came into PHL, they started immediately flying routes that US was already flying. Just because of their lower fares, The number of Passengers increased almost 200%. and that was PHL-PVD. Skybus will have that ability to serve routes that people want to fly. Nearly 60,000 tickets were sold on the FIRST day alone. If thats the case, they have to be doing something right.

In regards to your route structure point...you are correct, at this time, they would have to stay at night in CMH. But EVEN THEN....a single ticket from PSM to BUR would be 40 dollars round trip, 80 after tax. Spending a night at the Airport Hotel is 60 bucks. $140 Round Trip is still Cheaper.

Currently, on their first day of Operation, on May 22, their aircraft will fly CMH-BUR-CMH-PSM-CMH...So if you're flying from BUR to PSM, its possible to connect in CMH. From PSM to BUR, it is not. However, this will Definately Change once, Skybus has acquired more aircraft. For Example, Starting CMH-PSM-CMH-BUR-CMH on a second aircraft, makes it completely possible to Connect in both Directions. Thru CMH, Not to Mention double capacity to two already demanded Routes.

Quoting ScottB (Reply 6):
Why would a business traveler take SkyBus to PSM to get to Boston if you can get to BOS non-stop on another airline for a reasonable fare?

I'm sorry, but i think it has been discussed many many times already, Skybus is definately NOT targeting the Business Traveling market. No No, i think it's quite obvious they're trying to attract the leisure market.

Give them a Few months and recheck your theory. We'll see what happens.

[Edited 2007-04-27 18:11:45]

itsnotfinals

Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:22 am

Quoting BlueElephant (Reply 7):
Spending a night at the Airport Hotel is 60 bucks.

the cheapest airport hotel is 109 dollars a night after tax, and if you don't want to get something that scares penicillan it's 174.00 a night right at the airport. (Unless you can get a cheap room through hotels.com or something)
Speedbird 178 Heavy, FINAL runway 27L

solnabo

Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:28 am

Sorry about my ignorance, but what US carrier is compared to Ryanair/Easyjet?

Thx

Micke//  Confused
Airbus SAS - Love them both

Poitin

Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:34 am

Currently, on their first day of Operation, on May 22, their aircraft will fly CMH-BUR-CMH-PSM-CMH...So if you're flying from BUR to PSM, its possible to connect in CMH. From PSM to BUR, it is not. However, this will Definately Change once, Skybus has acquired more aircraft. For Example, Starting CMH-PSM-CMH-BUR-CMH on a second aircraft, makes it completely possible to Connect in both Directions. Thru CMH, Not to Mention double capacity to two already demanded Routes.

You would have a valid point IF you could fly on the same aircraft all the way through. However, you have TWO tickets. You go to CMH get off, collect your bags and check back in. How long will that take? A hour? Probably more. By then the airplane will be long gone.

Skybus really needs to think about this P2P only idea. It will not work. They need to sell through tickets where the airplane lands in CMH and you and your bags stay on board.

Quoting Itsnotfinals (Reply 8):
the cheapest airport hotel is 109 dollars a night after tax, and if you don't want to get something that scares penicillan it's 174.00 a night right at the airport. (Unless you can get a cheap room through hotels.com or something)

While you can try to sleep in the airport lobby, I doubt that the authorities would permit it. And I somehow suspect all the hotels local to th CMH will quicky up their prices once they realize what is going on.

XJetflyer

Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:46 am

Skybus is nuts in my opinion. I do not fly Southwest, but I would choose them any day over Skybus. I think Skybus is not making a good start. For the average joe who is looking for the cheapest flight, I guess they will love it. But tell that same average joe the cost is going up and he will look elsewhere to find a cheaper deal. Also if a person can barely afford this airline or if they are just plain cheap, they are the ones who want to bring their own food in most cases. I don't see them paying for high dollar crap meals on this airliner.

This plan has disaster written all over it if you ask me. I know there are many who look for good deals, hell most of us do.
But this airliner is coming across as sneeky to me. For the defenders of this airliner, enjoy the $10 seats. I will stick with the airliners I trust.

Don't get me wrong, I want Skybus to make it. The more airliners the better deals for everyone!

MSYtristar

Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:51 am

$399 one way? For what? It's not like you're getting anything in return on Skybus other than the convenience of getting to your destination in a few hours. At least if you pay $399 on Southwest you'll get good seat pitch, snacks, and friendly service.

ikramerica

Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:53 am

Currently $339. But the top walk-up fare at WN is refundable and may be changed without a fee -- and you can even talk to a person (in the U.S.) on the phone!

And check bags, and get free sodas and snacks, and on most routes there are plenty of flights in case one is overbooked/canceled. Good luck on Skybus if they bump you. Who you gonna call?
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

Logos

Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:09 am

I understand what you're saying but I have to say, you're partially incorrect in your thinking. When southwest came into PHL, they started immediately flying routes that US was already flying. Just because of their lower fares, The number of Passengers increased almost 200%. and that was PHL-PVD. Skybus will have that ability to serve routes that people want to fly. Nearly 60,000 tickets were sold on the FIRST day alone. If thats the case, they have to be doing something right.

That's assuming that their only objective was to get people to try them once. You're also missing WN's timing in coming to PHL in that US was taking forever to get luggage to baggage claim and there was some real desire for an alternative. That (along with lower fares) is enough to get people to try you and stimulate demand.

However, you have to provide something of value over time to retain those passengers. Southwest consistently ranks at or near the top for passenger satisfaction for some good reasons - frequent flights, good seat pitch, friendly, consistent service - to go along with low fares. Among those advantages, Skybus has only one - low fares. The experience itself will take some real getting used to and I'll bet that many will try them once and never again, especially if the fare for the second flight is on the order of $75 (or more) instead of $10. When people start missing their cobbled together connections and having to pay outrageous fares for the rebooking, you're going to see a lot of "never again".

Cheers,
Dave in Orlando

exFATboy

Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:14 am

Quoting Solnabo (Reply 9):
Sorry about my ignorance, but what US carrier is compared to Ryanair/Easyjet?

Skybus is really the first US LCC that is built along the Ryanair/Easyjet model - no free drinks or snacks at all, only one free bag, a certain number of seats offered for next to nothing, no call center, etc.

Some other US LCCs have adopted certain aspects of the Ryanair model - Spirit's pretty much there, except it uses primary airports. Allegiant uses some secondary airports* and doesn't offer free beverages or snacks.

But Skybus is the first attempt to build a Ryanair-like "ultra-LCC" in the US from the ground up.

[Edited 2007-04-27 19:43:26]

Poitin

Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:16 am

Why would a business traveler take SkyBus to PSM to get to Boston if you can get to BOS non-stop on another airline for a reasonable fare?

I'm sorry, but i think it has been discussed many many times already, Skybus is definately NOT targeting the Business Traveling market. No No, i think it's quite obvious they're trying to attract the leisure market.

Well, there is no question that Skybus is not chasing the business traveller. But who are they chasing? They are very negative about children, particularly babies. So that wipes out the family-going-to-Grandma's for the holiday, and the family-on-vacation market.

Then there is the hungry-student and backpacker markets. Okay, maybe them. They like to rough it and stay in stables-converted-to-hostels then tell their friends all about their "adventures".

How about the middle class Joe needing to go somewhere on his own money? Well, perhaps, but only if the price is right and if he doesn't have to sleep over in CMH. Most of this market will put a value on the comfort issues, as noted in several other posts.

That is what bothers me. Just who are they trying to attract?

ScottB

Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:32 am

When southwest came into PHL, they started immediately flying routes that US was already flying. Just because of their lower fares, The number of Passengers increased almost 200%. and that was PHL-PVD. Skybus will have that ability to serve routes that people want to fly. Nearly 60,000 tickets were sold on the FIRST day alone. If thats the case, they have to be doing something right.

Let's compare apples to apples here, though. WN started service at PHL in May of 2004. Let's compare PHL-PVD fares and traffic from 3Q2004 to 3Q2003 (since 3Q2004 was the first full quarter of WN competing on PHL-PVD). Average one-way fares fell from $328 to $57, and traffic increased from 9,190 to 100,550 passengers for the quarter -- an increase of 994%. The trip distance is 238 miles, so average one-way fares fell from $1.38/mile to $0.24/mile.

CMH-LAX in 3Q2006 averaged $221 each way, and Delta was a bit lower at $202 with their non-stop flight in the market. Dropping the average fare to, say, $99 (which is probably what SkyBus would need to break even) wouldn't have the same dramatic effect as reducing average fares by 83%, which is what happened between PHL and PVD. Amtrak, Greyhound, or driving are all reasonable options between PHL and PVD if fares are high. They're not especially appealing between Columbus and Los Angeles, especially with absolute fare levels on CMH-LAX actually being lower then PHL-PVD fare levels had been. Similarly, CMH-FLL average fares were already quite reasonable at $164 each way.

I understand that 60,000 tickets were sold by SkyBus on its first day. What was the average fare paid? The measure of Skybus's success is not going to be how many $10 tickets they can sell from CMH to BLI or BUR or PSM, but how many $100+ tickets they can sell.

But EVEN THEN....a single ticket from PSM to BUR would be 40 dollars round trip, 80 after tax. Spending a night at the Airport Hotel is 60 bucks. $140 Round Trip is still Cheaper.

But EVEN THEN... you're talking about fares that don't make money for the company. I don't doubt that they can find at least 10 people to buy $10 tickets on every flight. How many people will Skybus find that will pay fares that are profitable for them?

Skybus is definately NOT targeting the Business Traveling market. No No, i think it's quite obvious they're trying to attract the leisure market.

The leisure market alone won't pay the bills unless you're talking about LAS, MCO, TPA, CUN, etc. How many people really want to fly CMH-BLI for fun?!

richierich

Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:50 am

Quoting Poitin (Reply 16):
That is what bothers me. Just who are they trying to attract?

I think you've about covered it. It's the million dollar question - are there enough bargain-hungry people out there who are willing to put up with this airline's apparent drawbacks in order to save some cash? And can the airline survive by selling only sub-$100 tickets?

I don't have these answers, of course. I will say, though, that the comparisons to Greyhound are not completely without merit. I once travelled 1,000 miles on Greyhound with a friend - wow, what a trip. You don't get anything for your money besides a seat. So that means that every breakfast, lunch and dinner stop was, naturally, on your own dime. I recall making stops in Staunton and Lexington, VA, in the middle of the night, and yet people got on and off the bus. The bus was always fairly full, and one gal seated next to us was going to the far side of Texas, an extra 800 miles! Why didn't these people fly, because the difference in cost was negligble when you consider food and time (for sure)? The only answer I could circle back to was because the initial cost of the ticket was so much cheaper, especially in those days prior to WN's LCC nationwide dominance.

So, to answer the question of "who", I point squarely at the Greyhound passenger, the typical Waffle House patron and other cliches, to say that there is always somebody willing to go out of their way to save some money, no matter how silly it or nonsensical it may seem to others. I really have no idea what that means for Skybus' future though, especially because again I think people will look to other, more reputable, carriers for just a few bucks more.

Without over-glamorizing Skybus, I think we are really on the brink of some fundamental changes to flying here in the US. Either the "charge for everything" approach will takeoff and Skybus will become a formidable airline or they will one day be seen as a major-league failure for not understanding their market's desires.
None shall pass!!!!

Logos

Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:57 am

Quoting ScottB (Reply 17):
But EVEN THEN... you're talking about fares that don't make money for the company. I don't doubt that they can find at least 10 people to buy $10 tickets on every flight. How many people will Skybus find that will pay fares that are profitable for them?

Skybus is definately NOT targeting the Business Traveling market. No No, i think it's quite obvious they're trying to attract the leisure market.

The leisure market alone won't pay the bills unless you're talking about LAS, MCO, TPA, CUN, etc. How many people really want to fly CMH-BLI for fun?!

Great post, overall but these portions are especially well said. I don't care if they've attracted $160 million of start up - the part of this you can see so far simply doesn't add up. Every time someone responds "no, no you don't understand" it seems greater "understanding" only raises more questions. Examples -

"CMH is not a hub! They're not looking for connecting traffic!" - granted they're making it as difficult as they can to connect through CMH, but this model makes no sense simply on CHM O&D and that is not how Ryanair turned a profit. The lack of strong O&D (like London) is the sense in which they're straying from the Ryanair/Easyjet model.

"They're not going after business travelers" - clearly, but you can't pay the bills on leisure traffic

"They'll be other cities than CMH" - that could be, but they're choosing to start in CMH, for one thing, which conveys some importance in their future route system. Beyond that, name another city where they might go that has the O&D numbers and lack of low cost competition to work ala Ryanair/Easyjet. I sure can't.

The fallback on "it worked for Ryanair and no one said it would" and "these investors aren't dummies", etc. doesn't really answer these basic issues. As mentioned above quite eloquently, 60,000 tickets doesn't mean squat if they've got a marginal loss on most of them. I guarantee you I could sell a whole bunch of steak dinners for $1.99, but I couldn't make any money at it.

Cheers,
Dave in Orlando

SANFan

Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:25 am

I again will say that the length of time this venture survives (the end of this year, a year from now, a couple of years) will hinge on the future moves they take in route development. The way it is now, and I'm sure most would agree, they might see Christmas of this year, or they might not.

Especially if they want to survive the winter, they are going to need warm-weather destinations galore. (Next January, people in CMH are not going to jump up one morning and say, "I think I'll run to the Port, buy one of them $10 fares, and run off to Bellingham for the weekend!" And I don't think the people in BLI will say the same about running off to CMH either.) Skybus not only needs fun-n-sun destinations, they need focus cities there (a la Allegiant Air) AND they need connecting service in place. (If they don't happen to fly BLI to SAN, PHX or FLL, they need customers to be able to connect in order to get there.) P2P is wonderful but you must have connecting opportunities as well (read: WN business model.)

The P2P model they apparently will be pursuing is a fine idea (IMHO, the new direction air transport is headed in) BUT it takes time and lots of resources to develop it in this big country. Remember RyanAir is dealing with a lower average stage length and has been around for a while now developing their route structure. Skybus is going to try and do this starting in a very rough economic period amid lots of reactive competition (should they survive long enough.)

For even a chance of surviving the non-peak (summer) travel period, I expect SkyBus will need cities (attractive destinations) such as SAN, PHX, ABQ, HOU, MSY, MCO, (or similar, in addition to BUR and FLL they already serve) plus a few ski destinations like RNO, SLC and DEN, with P2P to their existing "cold weather" cities, plus lots more, and substantial frequency. I think they have too far to go in too short a time and I don't think the investment capital will last long enough for it to happen.

I reiterate the point made by MANY before: the target people of SkyBus will try this idea once and (maybe) again as long as the sub-$75 fares are available. Above that, don't count on it and there is no way anyone will pay ~$300 for a ticket on a skyBUS!

bb

floridaflyboy

Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:34 am

Quoting ExFATboy (Reply 15):
only one free bag

Actually, no free checked baggage on SkyBus. The first and second bags cost $5 each, and after that, $50.
Good goes around!

eugdog

Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:40 am

People who knock skybus do not get it. They think that because we pay premiums for fancy cars, clothes and gadget people will do the same for air transport. In reality people pay a lot more then they need for cars, clothes and gadgets for vanity purposes.

Air travel has no scope for vanity - it is just getting from A to B for the overwhelming majority of non business travellors. So if one airline can do it for a few bucks cheaper then people are going to flock to it - look at Ryanair.

Air travel for most is a commodity like oil, wheat and gas - broadly speaking all the airlines offer the same product so price will the most important factor! This is in contrast to cars and clothes where "coolness" and status and sex matter so much that people have to spend far more on cars then they need to.

I think Skybus will do very well and I wish them all the best.

tbolt1

Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:18 am

Quoting ScottB (Reply 17):

Actually, I would. Looking at google.com maps the drive from BLI to Seattle looks awesome, following the coast the whole way down....I'm sure it's a beautiful drive. I'd like to go just to go whale watching in the summer.
"You can be my wingman anytime."

clickhappy

Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:20 am

Actually, I would. Looking at google.com maps the drive from BLI to Seattle looks awesome, following the coast the whole way down....I'm sure it's a beautiful drive. I'd like to go just to go whale watching in the summer.

Come on dude. Did you actually look at said map? No water anywhere near I5, unless you count 3 minutes of Lake Samish south of Bellingham and some stinky ass sloughs north of Everett.

tbolt1

Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:24 am

Quoting Clickhappy (Reply 24):
Come on dude. Did you actually look at said map? No water anywhere near I5, unless you count 3 minutes of Lake Samish south of Bellingham and some stinky ass sloughs north of Everett.

Oh, my mistake dude....the water is a whopping 5 miles to the west.....geez, whatever will I do.....what, with a rented car and all.....heaven forbid I get off the beaten path and get closer to the coast.

ScottB

Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:25 am

Quoting Tbolt1 (Reply 23):
Looking at google.com maps the drive from BLI to Seattle looks awesome, following the coast the whole way down

Looks like a long drive on the interstate a few miles from the coast to me, actually. Leaving Seattle at 0500 or 0530 to ensure enough time to make an 0907 departure from BLI sounds like even more fun!

clickhappy

Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:27 am

just telling you how it really is, ace.

ADent

Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:31 am

I agree with Eugdog - if anyone wanted to fly to/from CMH.

They could have everything else right, but doesn't seem like enough O&D traffic there to support it.

Good luck.

richierich

Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:49 am

Quoting Tbolt1 (Reply 25):
Oh, my mistake dude....the water is a whopping 5 miles to the west.....geez, whatever will I do.....what, with a rented car and all.....heaven forbid I get off the beaten path and get closer to the coast.

Sounds great - now will you really do it? Are other people really likely to do it???
None shall pass!!!!

tbolt1

Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:15 am

Quoting Richierich (Reply 29):
Sounds great - now will you really do it? Are other people really likely to do it???

Don't know. One of the mistakes I see Skybus doing right now though especially since they're flying into secondary airports, is the web site doesn't promote what there is to do in those areas, even away from the main cities. If they are trying to attract people that will be willing to travel on a moment's notice just because they're bored with Columbus, then they really need to let the public know what their is to do in these places. For BLI, I'd be promoting the Puget Sound, whale watching, the Mountains, restaurants, etc. etc along with pictures. Richmond, maybe promote the historical sites like seeing old plantations. I think the marketing is very weak in this department. It's one thing to tell people what there is with words, but pictures and other media can speak wonders for promoting a destination.

richierich

Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:27 am

Quoting Tbolt1 (Reply 30):
For BLI, I'd be promoting the Puget Sound, whale watching, the Mountains, restaurants, etc. etc along with pictures. Richmond, maybe promote the historical sites like seeing old plantations. I think the marketing is very weak in this department. It's one thing to tell people what there is with words, but pictures and other media can speak wonders for promoting a destination

I hear you and agree with your ideas. However, I don't think BLI alone is enough of a market, honestly. To get passengers, they need to promote how easy it is to get to Seattle/Tacoma and Vancouver, not small fishing villages along Puget Sound. And if those cities are not within easy reach, which I know they are not, then they should either take the Ryanair approach and stretch the truth or not fly there....!
None shall pass!!!!

MeanGreen

Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:06 am

BLI into Seattle is going to be a crappy drive. My grandparents live out Whidbey and sometimes the drive into Seattle can take 2 hours deppending on when you get on I-5 (not counting the ferry from Clinton to Mukilteo). Driving from BLI to Seattle is almost like going from Vancouver (a drive I have done many times) and I think people will do this once and that will be it. Like someone else said very little repeat business.

[Edited 2007-04-28 01:25:36]

luv2fly

Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:18 am

Quoting MeanGreen (Reply 32):
Driving from BLI to Seattle is almost like going from Vancouver (a drive I have done many times) and I think people will do this once and that will be it. Like someone else said very little repreat business.

People not knowing will try it once and that will be it, no repeats that I can see happening.
You can cut the irony with a knife

LAXspotter1985

Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:36 am

I recently purchased round trip airfare from Burbank to Ft. Lauderdale on Skybus and I realized the service and no connecting times were not good enough for me they made me shaky. I canceled my tickets 2 days ago bought with southwest for $70 more and I am guaranteed my connection with no bag problems. Sorry Skybus you need some sort of contact number. Also skybus refunded me back today! Well atleast there some response!

MAH4546

Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:38 am

It is fun to watch people talk about Skybus as if they are going to be around after 12 months.
a.

sw733

Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:42 am

checkmark  Got to agree with you 110% on that one.

mke717spotter

Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:36 am

Quoting LAXspotter1985 (Reply 34):
Also skybus refunded me back today!

I thought that it said somewhere on Skybus' website they don't give refunds?
Will you watch the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions on Sunday? Only if coach Eric Mangini resigned after a loss.

Logos

Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:46 am

Quoting Mke717spotter (Reply 37):
I thought that it said somewhere on Skybus' website they don't give refunds?

They're giving them until they get their certificate. All money for reservations is being placed in an escrow account pending receipt of the certificate. The info's somewhere in one of these Skybus threads.

Cheers,
Dave in Orlando

FCYTravis

Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:27 am

Quoting Eugdog (Reply 22):
Air travel for most is a commodity like oil, wheat and gas - broadly speaking all the airlines offer the same product so price will the most important factor

Well, but no, $kybu$ doesn't offer the same product, or anywhere near it.

I think a lot of people underestimate just how uncomfortable a 28-inch seat pitch really is. I also think a lot of people underestimate how much bigger the average American is than the average European. That "cram 'em in until their ears bleed" tactic will not work here, because all those 6'1", 290lb people are going to take one look at the seating and walk right off the jet.
USAir A321 service now departing for SFO with fuel stops in CAK, COS and RNO. Enjoy your flight.

JetBlueAUS

Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:24 pm

Quoting Clickhappy (Thread starter):

I've seen WN, $410.00 O/W.
Not all of us can be heroes, some of us can only stand on the sidewalk and clap as they go by.

tbolt1

Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:43 pm

I've got a question.......if Skybus wasn't supposed to be going head-to-head with Southwest, but yet they're willing to fly to Burbank which is where Southwest flies.....why wouldn't Skybus just go into the same mainstream airports that Southwest does in the Boston Area and into Seattle? Their CASM is supposed to be lower than Southwest's, so why not just go into those airports directly, or is there agreements at those airports that would keep Skybus from even being allowed to go into there?

MAH4546

Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:52 pm

Quoting Tbolt1 (Reply 41):
why wouldn't Skybus just go into the same mainstream airports that Southwest does in the Boston Area and into Seattle?

Lower costs. Seattle and Boston are very expensive airports to fly to. Seattle is one of the most expensive airports to fly to in the entire United States (IIRC, it is more expensive than any airport in North America except Toronto).

Quoting Tbolt1 (Reply 41):
or is there agreements at those airports that would keep Skybus from even being allowed to go into there?

No. That is illegal. Airports are not allowed to refuse/block an airline from serving them in the United States. The only thing that can stop a US airline from flying to a US airport is inability to secure gate space or, in very limited cases (i.e. LaGuardia, Reagan, Orange County, and Long Beach), slots.
a.

ConcordeBoy

Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:16 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 42):
(i.e. LaGuardia, Reagan, Orange County, and Long Beach), slots.

...I haven't really been keeping up:
is Kennedy still slot-restricted during the evening Euro-rush, or (taking the "new" taxi, takeoff procedures into account) is that no longer in force?
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

tbolt1

Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:35 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 42):
Lower costs. Seattle and Boston are very expensive airports to fly to. Seattle is one of the most expensive airports to fly to in the entire United States (IIRC, it is more expensive than any airport in North America except Toronto).

Right, I understand the lower cost aspect, but isn't their BFI in Seattle? What's wrong with that airport? Also, why wouldn't Skybus elect to also fly into MHT or PVD where Southwest flies if Skybus still thinks it can offer lower fares in the long run based on their lower CASM than Southwest. From what I've heard, even PSM may not give Skybus all the breaks forever....so once that stops happening, does PSM even become a viable airport for Skybus?

I'd just like to say, I'm very hopeful for Skybus. I follow this company very, very closely. I want it to succeed because I want something good for my home state of Ohio. Lord knows this state needs any good it can get considering how many jobs the state has lost. But there are a few things that upset me about the Skybus plan right now. #1. What the hell is up with RIC, Greensboro, and Kansas City? Maybe they have done research that none of us know about, but even judging by their own web site, those trips aren't selling near as well as the West Coast and FLL. #2. The lack of the marketing team to promote what there is to do in the immediate BLI area without having to drive to Seattle. This really surprises me considering their marketing person comes from Southwest! You would think they would have thought of that....hmm, maybe I should be in marketing? Either that, or negotiating a really cheap deal with Amtrack to allow pax on Skybus to jump on Amtrack for like $5 each way instead of the $20 Amtrack charges. The bus service they have running from BLI doesn't seem all that fun considering the trip takes 2 1/2 hours.....by the time you pay for that and the extra time, I'd just assume rent a car and drive to Seattle myself seeing the sights along the coast on the way.
And lastly, the whole no connecting flights issue. They want to operate point-to-point because it's cheaper supposedly....but is it really that hard to offer connecting flights? Is it that hard to keep certain people's bags on the airplane that may be wanting to continue on to KFLL instead of making them recheck the bags and going back through security? How hard and more costly can that really be?

alangirvan

Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:42 pm

These are the starting routes for Skybus. I do not think connections will be an issue for Skybus passengers, because if the traffic is there Skybus will join the dots on their network and provide a non-stop when they have more planes. The flights from Portsmouth to CMH will only be the start - they can easily do non stops from Portsmouth to Burbank and Oakland.

If you object to not bringing your own food and drink on board (quite a lot of buses have this rule as well) then arrive at the airport well in advance and feed yourself at an airport restaurant. You can probably survive a four hour flight.

If this airline is to survive then it has to have the best value at the time people are making their booking. It is up to the passenger to shop around. The website shows people what they can expect. This is better than the websites of airlines that promise and do not deliver.

Some people get excited predicting when this airline will fail. There is a good chance that other airlines which have been around for a lot longer will fail before this airline.

easyas321

Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:34 pm

as long as they have fare levels at resonable increments they do well. It's only when 1 fare sells out & there's a big jump to next fare that airlines loose out.

UA772IAD

Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:23 pm

Quoting Richierich (Reply 18):
I think you've about covered it. It's the million dollar question - are there enough bargain-hungry people out there who are willing to put up with this airline's apparent drawbacks in order to save some cash? And can the airline survive by selling only sub-$100 tickets?

I don't think so. The people who go out of their way to avoid paying more than they have to (or avoid the traditional hassles of air travel) either:

1) Drive
2) Take Amtrak
3) Stay at home

Quoting Logos (Reply 19):
"They're not going after business travelers" - clearly, but you can't pay the bills on leisure traffic

Particularly when you don't serve leisure markets.

Quoting Alangirvan (Reply 45):
If you object to not bringing your own food and drink on board (quite a lot of buses have this rule as well) then arrive at the airport well in advance and feed yourself at an airport restaurant. You can probably survive a four hour flight.

Considering you have to arrive at the airport 80+ prior to departure, I don't think this will fly well with the average public. If you had the time, why would you arrive at the airport 2+ hours in advance just so you could eat at McDonalds or the few preselected restaurants at the airport? I don't think so.

adizzy

Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:46 pm

How is it that ScareBus is going to beable to start service here in the state's....yet Virgin America was given the halt???

Also, I think it is wrong that they claim to have flights out of Boston, MA when they really do not! Portsmouth, NH is a good hour or so north on Boston! Southwest flys out of Manchester, NH and does not call it Boston! i think its wrong!

On a positive note.....I like the Yellow in the scheme....it will be very easy to identify at Altitutde!

CIDFlyer

Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:56 pm

Quoting Tbolt1 (Reply 44):
And lastly, the whole no connecting flights issue. They want to operate point-to-point because it's cheaper supposedly....but is it really that hard to offer connecting flights? Is it that hard to keep certain people's bags on the airplane that may be wanting to continue on to KFLL instead of making them recheck the bags and going back through security? How hard and more costly can that really be?

I totally agree, I'd be more optimistic about their chances if they would allow connections. The people from RIC, GSO, and MCI basically connect to nothing at CMH, if they would at least be allowed to connect to PSM/ BUR/ OAK/ BLI and FLL it would make more sense. I am still puzzled about that..

[Edited 2007-04-28 14:57:40]