kaitak

21st Century Irish - The Next Thread ...

Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:15 pm

Good morning folks!

Well, Thread No. 20 has gone on for a week now and since we're over the 200 mark, it's probably time to move on.

Lots of interesting developments to look forward to over the next week, particularly as the different parties publish their manifestos. Hopefully, for once, aviation will get a look in and at least one of them will recognise its importance to developing the Irish economy.

The announcement yesterday of the new bilateral deal with Canada is a very important step, in that it means that in the space of less than two months, two of our most damaging and backward bilaterals have effectively been chucked out the window. Next step, however, is to be proactive in developing new markets, particularly in Asia. For a country like Ireland, on the periphery, just signing bilaterals isn't enough; we need to go out there and develop the new markets and ensure that our aviation infrastructure is able to accommodate the new routes.

Over the past few weeks, we've seen a very considerable increase in the 787's order book and if the Times is to be believed, the EK A350 order will be placed this week. Aer Lingus is supposed to have a board meeting on the 1st May, which is Tuesday. With the steady spate of orders flowing in - around 6-8 months of 787 production ordered in the space of ten days, EI will hopefully not hang around for too much longer. I understand that responses to RFPs are in, so it may well be that we won't be left waiting too much longer.

Over to you, my friends ...

OA260

RE: 21st Century Irish - The Next Thread ...

Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:01 pm

Quoting Kaitak (Thread starter):
Over the past few weeks, we've seen a very considerable increase in the 787's order book and if the Times is to be believed, the EK A350 order will be placed this week

It will be interesting to see how many they order. Would be even nicer if they put one on a DUB-DXB route.

I am going more with the A350 for EI it would make more sense and would tie in with the rest of the fleet being all Airbus. I guess it depends on what deal they get but Im sure EI will get a good deal from Airbus hopefully one they cant refuse.

ac747

Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:58 pm

Alright, I'm pretty excited about the new Canadian bilateral, but can't find too much info on it.
Does anyone know the details ?
Does it come into effect immediatly ?
This could open up a year round AC to YYZ (at least), with the possibility of Zoom coming in too.
Nice one.
Haven't we been here before ?

EISHN

Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:24 pm

Ireland to get direct airlink with Israel in the next three months
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arkia Israeli Airlines will begin the first regularly scheduled direct commercial flights between Dub and Ben Gurion airport in Tel Aviv. Soruces close to the airline suggested the Israeli airline was also in talks with Aer Lingus about a codesharing agreement. Aer Lingus has had discussions with Arkia regarding the route , according to a spokeswoman, but would not confirm any details.
Arkia received approval for the route from the Israel transportation ministry after nation carrier El Al declined to take it up, but was unclear whether the airline would excercise it's operators licenseuntil its weekly Monday flight appeared on the DAA's summer timetable last week.
In the past Arkia had been able to fly only summer charters between the two countries . As a regularly scheduled flight, the Dublin-Tel Aviv is now available on an open ticket basis, which means it will show up on travel agent's booking systems and internet travel sites- making it potentially attractive to other airlines with no presence in Israel such as Aer Lingus.
Many technology firms with operations in Ireland also have strong links with Israel, including Intel, Websense, and Performix.
Ireland is among the last western European countries to establish a direct airlink with Israel.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good luck to them!
St. Flannan/ Fhlanain- She took off to find the footlights, And I took off for the sky

EI787

Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:45 pm

Quoting EISHN (Reply 3):
Ireland to get direct airlink with Israel in the next three months

Flights will operate every Monday:

Arkia
IZ 921
Tel Aviv,Ben Gurion - Dublin
Departs: 16:50
Arrives: 21:40
Boeing 757-300
Total Flight Time 5:49 Hours

Arkia
IZ 922
Dublin, - Tel Aviv,Ben Gurion
Departs: 23:10
Arrives: 05:30 (Next day)
Boeing 757-300
Total Flight Time 5:19 Hours

OA260

Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:54 pm

Quoting EI787 (Reply 4):
Flights will operate every Monday:

Arkia
IZ 921
Tel Aviv,Ben Gurion - Dublin
Departs: 16:50
Arrives: 21:40
Boeing 757-300
Total Flight Time 5:49 Hours

Arkia
IZ 922
Dublin, - Tel Aviv,Ben Gurion
Departs: 23:10
Arrives: 05:30 (Next day)
Boeing 757-300
Total Flight Time 5:19 Hours

Its been in the CRS for months and months now and still the flights are empty !!! The only people booking onto it are a few Pilgrimages to the Holy Land and some ex pat Israelis. I cant see it getting more than 45-50% loads especially if things continue the way they are in the region. Also I wonder what security will be in place . When you look at LY in other countries there are armed police around the check in area and ticket desk. Also what about profiling and increased security ???

kaitak

Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:55 pm

Oy vey! It's at night ... typical - the lengths they go to, to avoid photography!

Still, good to see a new airline flying in, even if it's an existing charter airline flying scheduled.

EISHN

Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:01 pm

Well it said in the article (the part I left otu) that flight will continue til October, until the end of the highs of the Jewish holidays, after that, traffic will likely decline steeply. The code sharing with EI is intersting though.
St. Flannan/ Fhlanain- She took off to find the footlights, And I took off for the sky

BrianDromey

Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:02 pm

Interesting to see Arkia launch a scheduled link to TLV. Even more interesting to see the possibility that EI might codeshare on the route. Also interesting id the use of a 757-300, would this be the first time the aircraft has been used into Ireland on a scheduled basis?

Brian.
Next flights: MAN-ORK-LHR(EI)-MAN(BD); MAN-LHR(BD)-ORK (EI); DUB-ZRH-LAX (LX) LAX-YYZ (AC) YYZ-YHZ-LHR(AC)-DUB(BD)

DaHawk

Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:05 pm

Im excited for the 1 stop service from Sydney to Dublin!! With Etihad..woo hoooo!

Good to see Dublin loses one but gains another..this time an Airline that offers much better connex & I believe better product then what GF offered from SYD-SIN-BAH-DUB.

OA260

Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:20 pm

Quoting DaHawk (Reply 9):
this time an Airline that offers much better connex & I believe better product then what GF offered from SYD-SIN-BAH-DUB.

The good thing is that you can break your journey for free as the SYD flight doesnt connect alot of the time and EY give you free hotel in AUH and transfers. Nice stopover for free and a chance to sleep. Also 30Kilos allowance in Y . Very attractive especially to people going over for a year to work.

kaitak

Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:03 pm

Welcome on board, DaHawk; 14 posts on your first day - not bad!

Yes, it's great to have EY on board now, especially as GF is about to go. GF opened the door to the M/E for us, so although we're very sad to see them leave, we're thankful for the service they gave us. EY is a far more cash-rich company and will hopefully stay with us for a lot longer. With EK and QR still growing very strongly, we might even see one or both of them come on board.

I didn't notice that IZ was going to codeshare with EI to TLV. I hope they stay around longer than just the Summer season. 753s surprise me, but I hope they do well anyway.

DaHawk

Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:15 pm

Well thankyou Kaitak!

Ive been a long lost reader of Airliners.net....thought ill join, get on the paddy wagon and be a participator  Wink

Its great to see EY enter the market! Even better im moving to Abu Dhabi to begin Cabin Crew training for EY in 2 weeks airplane   Wink I love Ireland..beautiful country and cant wait to be part of a such a young Airline with alot of potential!

OA260

Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:16 pm

See TK has opened a ticket desk next to BMI in Dublin airport. Nice to see and also the increased service proberbly warranted their own desk.

COEI2007

Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:38 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 13):
See TK has opened a ticket desk next to BMI in Dublin airport. Nice to see and also the increased service proberbly warranted their own desk.

They've been there awhile now. They've moved up from those pointless ticket-desks in the arrivals hall!

TurkishWings

Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:47 pm

Quoting COEI2007 (Reply 14):

They've been there awhile now. They've moved up from those pointless ticket-desks in the arrivals hall!

Do you know how the route is doing? DUB-IST-DUB I mean....
Coffee - Tea or Me?

OA260

Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:48 pm

When Area 14 opens its going to be a long haul with trolleys etc... if you have to go to the ticket desks two levels up!! I wonder if they will open ticket counters in Area 14???

rineanna

Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:00 am

Quoting TurkishWings (Reply 15):
Do you know how the route is doing? DUB-IST-DUB I mean....

Well they've upped the frequencies of late, I think from 3 to 5 per week, I guess this was based on the good performance of the three per week schedule. I remember seeing the check-in for this flight last February and there was a constant stream of PAX checking in for it, mostly of Turkish origin I think. They've done well to get in on the Irish-Turkish route before anyone else and I hope to see therm establish themselves in this market and maybe add Izmir-Dublin to their schedule.

COEI2007

Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:07 am

Quoting Rineanna (Reply 17):
Well they've upped the frequencies of late, I think from 3 to 5 per week, I guess this was based on the good performance of the three per week schedule. I remember seeing the check-in for this flight last February and there was a constant stream of PAX checking in for it, mostly of Turkish origin I think. They've done well to get in on the Irish-Turkish route before anyone else and I hope to see therm establish themselves in this market and maybe add Izmir-Dublin to their schedule.

I know the TK rep, and the flight is expected to go daily next year. The route is apparently filled with Irish pax going to Turkey, people travelling to/from the Gulf, and also a lot of pax to BKK!

rineanna

Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:34 am

Quoting COEI2007 (Reply 18):
The route is apparently filled with Irish pax going to Turkey, people travelling to/from the Gulf, and also a lot of pax to BKK

That's good to hear, especially with the recent spate of withdrawals from DUB. I suppose the investment in Turkish property that has occurred over the last few years has helped to stimulate demand. Can you fly DUB-IGL via IST?

Just a few bits and pieces that may be of interest,
-LS are using the wet-leased, Newcastle-based Flightline 146 on the Saturday service to ORK.
-Belavia are still using their TU-154s on scheduled flights to SNN, along with their 735s
-Tampa is being offered as a direct destination from SNN with UA and US from SNN via one stop. Don't think I've seen that before.

OA260

Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:35 am

Izmir will not happen anytime soon already too many charters as I said before. We book loads of people on the BKK and other far east routes. Some also on the KHI route but they have to sleep in IST overnight on the outward as its hard for them to get visas ( Pakistani nationals). A few Irish who own property fly DUB-IST-ADB . The fares are very good and some corporates fly J class which are amazing value. When they join Star Alliance they will pick up alot of Irish traffic who would normally go LH . TK have a great J class product and have great links to Central Asia. I would fly TK over LH anyday. They are having a trade evening soon so I might go along especially if they are offering prizes!!!  

Funny thing is alot of agents dont know about the good fares and connections. Mind you its good for me as I can always get S class which is the best fares. I flew TK to Northern Cyprus Via IST and it was great. I also did IST on another trip. Id love to go back to IST on the DUB-IST route. I have a very good friend who is doing national service near Batman so that would make an interesting TR !!!

Also TK are the only airline other than OA that serve my favourite Cherry juice which Im addicted to . Big grin

[Edited 2007-04-29 17:38:16]

TurkishWings

Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:23 am

Thanks for the answers guys... I am glad to hear that the route is doing well....

Quoting Rineanna (Reply 19):
Can you fly DUB-IGL via IST?

Nobody flies to that airport. It's ADB  Smile
Coffee - Tea or Me?

TurkishWings

Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:24 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 20):
Also TK are the only airline other than OA that serve my favourite Cherry juice which Im addicted to

Tell me about it... When I was living in Switzerland, I couldn't find cherry juice anywhere.. The closest to it was cranberry juice... And once I was onboard TK, I used to drink plenty  Smile
Coffee - Tea or Me?

OA260

Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:33 am

Quoting TurkishWings (Reply 22):
Tell me about it... When I was living in Switzerland, I couldn't find cherry juice anywhere.. The closest to it was cranberry juice... And once I was onboard TK, I used to drink plenty

LOL.. on a flight from LHR to IST I drank Cherry Juice all the way then later I asked the FA for some more but she said 'Sorry Sir but you have drunk it all''  Smile You cant buy it here. The only place I see it is in London in the Greek and Turkish shops. I have a client who is Turkish and everytime he comes back he brings me a carton of it !!! He is a star in my eyes. When I come back from Greece I check in 40 kilos of food and drink lol... Tell me TurkishWings when will I be able to earn miles on TK?? When is the official entry into Star Alliance?? I know that LH have agreements in place but Im BMI .

rineanna

Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:34 am

Quoting TurkishWings (Reply 21):

Quote:
Nobody flies to that airport. It's ADB

Oh, my bad!I didn't know the code for the airport so searched for it on this airport codes website and IGL was what was returned. Sorry!

Just with all the talk here regarding TK, I went on to their website and read a rather excellent, possibly the best I've ever read, travel guide to Dublin. Very nice indeed! I must say their website is excellent, and they seem to be putting alot of effort into the DUB route. Here's the travel guide;
http://www.thy.com/en-INT/corporate/skylife/article.aspx?mkl=84

[Edited 2007-04-29 18:48:45]

[Edited 2007-04-29 18:49:38]

TurkishWings

Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:38 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 23):
Tell me TurkishWings when will I be able to earn miles on TK?? When is the official entry into Star Alliance?? I know that LH have agreements in place but Im BMI .

According to TK, They will be a full member by mid-2008. However, you might be able to start earning miles on all SA members before that... Hopefully  Wink

Quoting Rineanna (Reply 24):
Just with all the talk here regarding TK, I went on to their website and read a rather excellent, possibly the best I've ever read, travel guide to Dublin. Very nice indeed! I must say their website is excellent, and they seem to be putting alot of effort into the DUB route. Here's the travel guide;

That actually is not a part of the website. It's an article from TK's inflight magazine called "Skylife". They started publishing the articles on their website too recently... The magazine is one of the best in the world IMO.
Coffee - Tea or Me?

OA260

Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:53 am

Quoting TurkishWings (Reply 25):
It's an article from TK's inflight magazine called "Skylife".

Yeah I have a few copies of Skylife, its a good magazine. I have the one with the article on Thessaloniki in it and also another with Pamukkale in it a place id love to go to.

Quoting TurkishWings (Reply 25):
According to TK, They will be a full member by mid-2008.

Cool then I will do J class DUB-IST-SIN and renew my Gold status at the same time. Cant wait , just warn them to load the cherry juice.

Tesekkür ederim  cool 

n272wa

Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:54 am

Thanks for the link Rineanna, very nice report indeed of Dublin, but such flowery language!! Very Wilde-like...  Wink Thanks for sharing....

Aer Lingus

Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:40 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 5):
Its been in the CRS for months and months now and still the flights are empty !!! The only people booking onto it are a few Pilgrimages to the Holy Land and some ex pat Israelis.

Interesting. Having worked in Duty Free we used to stay open late for this flight and this flight only every monday. each time it was jammers and mostly full with package tours complete with their guides so im curious as to why its only 40-50% full according to you OA260. worked the shift also the previous year and it too was jammers each time. is it possible there are block booked seats which you cannot access that would give you the impression of the flights not being full.

Also, the flight would have extra Gardaí, airport police sniffer dogs and a few soldiers hanging about. Can't say if there were any army vehicles present.

they weren't exactly my favourite pax to deal with either. rude, gruff and always always always took 10 times longer to complete a transaction as the pennies were flung on the counter for me to count. also had one of them cough in my face at close quarters without an apology. charming bunch!

OA260

Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:52 am

Quoting Aer Lingus (Reply 28):
50% full according to you OA260

Ok I can check the loads for you tomorrow but unless they have changed that much since 2 weeks ago when I was checking fares and availability then I still think its 40-50% . If groups were being held it would still come off the normal availability otherwise they would have an overbooking situation which they will never have . I presume the ones you were dealing with were Israeli tourists comming to Ireland right??? I doubt even if the inbound is filling up that the DUB-TLV will be full of Irish tourists. I did one DUB - TLV in the past 12 months and no Holy Land bookings at all in the last 12 months where as a few years ago I used to do alot more. Also if rumour is true and Israel attack Lebanon in the next few months again then I doubt it will help. I have heard that IDF will target Hezbollah again , I also saw it on a thread on here also aswell as on another forum. I hope its not true but we will see.

Anyway I sympathise with you regards some of the passengers. I used to have to check them in and if it wasnt trying to get 50 kilos on when they only were allowed 20 kilos then it was complaining that they didnt want to sit anywhere they could see the inflight movie!! Mostly the ones who were checking in late and all the seats were 99% gone. I nearly told them to choose EL AL instead sometimes  banghead 

BrianDromey

Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:19 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 29):
I used to have to check them in and if it wasnt trying to get 50 kilos on when they only were allowed 20 kilos then it was complaining that they didnt want to sit anywhere they could see the inflight movie!! Mostly the ones who were checking in late and all the seats were 99% gone. I nearly told them to choose EL AL instead sometimes

Grrrr totally know what you mean! During the summer I work with the public, and some of them can be a total nightmare. It's like there are three people in their world me, myself and I. The rest of us are to stand in a guard of honur to deal with an little whim they may have, at any time of the day (usually friday at 4:30!).

Ill not deny that my bags can be quite heavy when going to/from uni, and of course I try to avoid the charges. But I dont do it by screaming or shouting. I'm polite, smiling and convers with the agents about anything other than the weight of my luggage. Of course having the worlds worst passport photo might help. (Ive yet to meet an agent who hasn't laughed....)

Quoting OA260 (Reply 16):
When Area 14 opens its going to be a long haul with trolleys etc... if you have to go to the ticket desks two levels up!! I wonder if they will open ticket counters in Area 14???

From the photos it does look like there are ticket counters just at the foot of the escelator into Area 14. Quite a few of them as well....

They've moved up from those pointless ticket-desks in the arrivals hall!

I thought TK were housed with Swiss in that office near Area 9? The one with a really long corridor, and some nice, helpful ladies in it!

Brian.
Next flights: MAN-ORK-LHR(EI)-MAN(BD); MAN-LHR(BD)-ORK (EI); DUB-ZRH-LAX (LX) LAX-YYZ (AC) YYZ-YHZ-LHR(AC)-DUB(BD)

EI787

Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:31 am

I see on aerlingus.com that EI will be moving from Terminal 4 to Terminal 1 in MAD from May 7th. Is this due to EI leaving OneWorld??

scorp

Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:50 am

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 30):
From the photos it does look like there are ticket counters just at the foot of the escelator into Area 14. Quite a few of them as well....

If that's the case, then I wonder what EI is going to do with them all, because as far as I was aware, EI was going to be the sole user of Area 14 ...

Quoting EI787 (Reply 31):
I see on aerlingus.com that EI will be moving from Terminal 4 to Terminal 1 in MAD from May 7th. Is this due to EI leaving OneWorld??

Most certainly is. Just thankful that it won't be IB staff handling EI in MAD anymore now that they are to shift!! IB always used to come across as rude and unhelpful when I travelled there. (Better not say too much, EI might now be handled by people in Blue uniforms with a yellow harp on them, now that they have a base in MAD)!!!
 laughing   laughing 

EI787

Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:53 am

Quoting Scorp (Reply 32):
(Better not say too much, EI might now be handled by people in Blue uniforms with a yellow harp on them, now that they have a base in MAD)!!!

Oh dear lord. Could you imagine?! Big grin Big grin

OA260

Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:02 am

thought TK were housed with Swiss in that office near Area 9? The one with a really long corridor, and some nice, helpful ladies in it!

Yeah there is a sign there from memory. You talking about the girls in the Swiss office??? The girls in the Swiss office are lovely and very helpful. Last weekend when I passed the BMI desk the TK desk still had wrapping on one of the signs!!

worlds worst passport photo might help. (Ive yet to meet an agent who hasn't laughed....)

Scan and post it lol...we want to see it !!!

When I was check in supervisor I allowed students taking books home or to college abroad an extra 10 kilos which was at my discretion. My theory was that they were studying for the good of the country so I tried to help. One day this fat cat businessman tried to get away with 18kilos without paying and I took the bait of the ''I have no money'' story. Anyway walked to the gate and in duty free he was there buying tons with his Amex Plat. card  Angry
Anway I went upto him and told him his bags were being off loaded and that we accept Amex!!! I was raging, so he paid up .

scorp

Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:04 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 34):
Anway I went upto him and told him his bags were being off loaded and that we accept Amex!!! I was raging, so he paid up .

bigthumbsup 

BrianDromey

Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:17 am

(Better not say too much, EI might now be handled by people in Blue uniforms with a yellow harp on them, now that they have a base in MAD)!!!

Oh! That is good.....

You talking about the girls in the Swiss office??? The girls in the Swiss office are lovely and very helpful.

The very ones. They really are great. I was enquiring about DUB-FCO//MXP-DUB in J (I wonder who inspired me.....). They advised Y instead as the fares available then were somewhere around 150EUR. Unfortunately my travel plans are still not firmed up, still waiting on others! Getting to DUB could be a pain....plus Im kinda tempted by the EI miles via LHR.

Scan and post it lol...we want to see it !!!

Ill put it this way, at one stage I managed to con a free bag on FR.....just after the liquid scare, when agents had a little dicsresion to exercise. IF (and its a very big IF) I feel the need to disgrace myself I MIGHT post it with my upcoming TR (MAN-ORK-MAN on WW). But only if you guys are very nice!

Warning, warning, warning, angry Greek/Irish man on the rampage.... first he'll skin you alive (that the Greek bit) and then hold a grudge forever (the Irish bit!).  Wink

Brian

OA260

Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:35 am

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 36):
Warning, warning, warning, angry Greek/Irish man on the rampage.... first he'll skin you alive (that the Greek bit) and then hold a grudge forever (the Irish bit!).

Well I do have the Greek hot blood but I never hold a grudge which Is something Irish people find hard to deal with. I scream and shout if im mad but an hour later im fine and its forgotten whereas Irish people take it onboard for weeks lol...

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 36):
Ill put it this way, at one stage I managed to con a free bag on FR.

Jesus it must be a bad pic lol....  camera 

Hey Brian when the Swiss fares come out again for J class lets get a few Anutters and do a trip to ZRH spotting .

BrianDromey

Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:44 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 37):
Jesus it must be a bad pic lol.... camera

Hey Brian when the Swiss fares come out again for J class lets get a few Anutters and do a trip to ZRH spotting .

Its not that is a really bad pic. When the agent opens the passport (which is in a VERY nice, tan Aspinal of London cover) they see a fat 12 y/o kid with a big goofy smile plastered across his face. I can see why the laugh....

I like the idea. "Spotting by OA" Ive never been ZRH, and I really fancy it.....anyone else?

COEI2007

Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:44 am

Quoting Rineanna (Reply 19):
Tampa is being offered as a direct destination from SNN with UA and US from SNN via one stop. Don't think I've seen that before.

I know DUB-CLT is offered one stop via PHL, and I think MAN-PHL also has a LAX or LAS service tagged on! Its similar to the DL flight from DUB to MCO, offered as one stop (ATL)

I thought TK were housed with Swiss in that office near Area 9? The one with a really long corridor, and some nice, helpful ladies in it!

I dont remember them being there for long. Their new location is far better. Down with the car rentals was rediculous

On a side not, with regards to Area 14/ The Dungeon, EI have an agreement that doesnt bind them to use the area for a set period, so they can start using it in Sept, and finish in Oct if they dont feel its working. It still baffles me that the DAA dont offer an incentive to some airlines to move down there, particulalrly those that offer flights throughout the day, which would reduce congestion. RE, BD and BA spring to mind!

OA260

Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:07 am

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 38):
never been ZRH, and I really fancy it

ZRH is really spotter friendly and they even have a cafe/restaurant in the outside viewing area. You can get quite close to the planes and good views of the runway etc....

aerarann

Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:36 am

I try to avoid the charges. But I dont do it by screaming or shouting. I'm polite, smiling and convers with the agents about anything other than the weight of my luggage.

When I was check in supervisor I allowed students taking books home or to college abroad an extra 10 kilos which was at my discretion.

When I was on check-in, my personal policy was to let most of the ladies away with excess baggage if it was below 10kg, and if it was over 10kg, i'd allow them half free and half at €3 / Kg (RE).

I remember there was a business guy travelling with 2 boxes of brochures that weighted 20kgs each!!! I wasnt being bad, but i knew he wouldnt be personally paying, so it was "That'll be €120, and you can just pay over there please"

Of course the introduction of commision would be a great way of ensuring staff are as accurate with baggage figures. But in RE if you allowed someone off by 10, you'd just add 10 to another PAX baggage on the computer system, so the figures were never wrong.

No wonder RE ground handlings on the wayout ....

smokeyrosco

Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:11 am

The Soon to be EI-DVE

http://www.pixaviation.info/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/20070420_a320-214_aer-lingus_f-wwbj_ei-dve_msn3129_tls_01a.jpg
John Hancock

Toulouse

Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:11 pm

Quoting EI787 (Reply 31):

I suspected that might happen as T4 is "mainly" for Iberia and other OneWorld carriers. In a way it's a pity as T4 is a great sight, yet certainly old T1 will be much more comfortable to use. Nevertheless according to AENA, Aer Lingus is still listed as operating out of T4... but they'll probably just take a while updating it. Now the main problem is that this will probably mean a return to huge amount of time spent to taxi from r/w to T1.

IB always used to come across as rude and unhelpful when I travelled there.

Welcome Scorp. On this I totally disagree with you and must defend my Spanish friends at Iberia in Madrid, a place that was my adopted city for over 10 years. To be honest with you, they are certainly not the friendliest bunch in the world unless you know how to deal with them... and that I learnt during my 10 years there and can guarantee you that they are a great bunch IF you know how to deal with them (I suppose that doesn't say much for their service levels though).

Better not say too much, EI might now be handled by people in Blue uniforms with a yellow harp on them, now that they have a base in MAD

laughing 
Long live Aer Lingus!

metalinyoni

Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:57 pm

hi Guys

Yesterday evening I flew on Ryanair's aircraft EI-DPS from Birmingham to Dublin. It appeared to be really new - how would i find out when that particular aircraft was delivered or would anybody here know?

many thanks.
300, 310, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 342, 343, 345, 346, 380, 707, 727, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 742, 743, 744, 752, 753,

OA260

Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:14 pm

Quoting Toulouse (Reply 43):
On this I totally disagree with you and must defend my Spanish friends at Iberia in Madrid, a place that was my adopted city for over 10 years.

I have to say I loved IB, I flew with them DUB-MAD-HAV and back and it was very nice. Even nicer on the return when I got to my seat and someone was in it. They were overbooked. Anyway I got out my then Gold Circle Elite card and flashed it to the crew with my boarding pass and they told me to wait. After 5 mins the girl came back and gave me a Business class boarding card  Smile I had been on the beach all that day and was tired after sunning myself so the big velvet feeling J class seat was just paradise for the 10 hour flight. Got a cool amenity kit also. Their lounge in MAD was pretty cool also but I think they renovated it now but I liked the old one.

Re: Arkia, flights are still empty fares start in V class from €478 incl taxes which is not that cheap considering OK and
MA have fares for €317 incl taxes. I know its direct but still. Id like to do LX via ZRH and ride their A340 but its €543!!!

philb

Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:36 pm

Quoting Aerarann (Reply 41):
I remember there was a business guy travelling with 2 boxes of brochures that weighted 20kgs each!!! I wasnt being bad, but i knew he wouldnt be personally paying, so it was "That'll be €120, and you can just pay over there please"

How did you know? Unless you recognised the company name how did you know it wasn't his own company and the amount you so gleefully took wouldn't be coming out of his own pocket?

Provance

Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:45 pm

Quoting EI.com:

Aer Lingus Announces Partnership with Special Olympics Ireland

The Official Airline Carrier to Team Ireland for the 2007 World Summer Games

Aer Lingus today announced that it has entered into a Partnership with Special Olympics Ireland for the 2007 Special Olympics World Summer Games.

Aer Lingus as Official Airline will provide return flights for Team Ireland and TEAM 2007, transporting the 143 athletes, 55 coaches and 200 volunteers on board an Airbus A321 from Dublin to London Heathrow airport on 27th and 29th September and welcoming the team aboard on their return journey on 12th and 13th October from London Heathrow to Dublin airport. In addition, the airline will donate a number of Premier class return tickets for auction prizes to help Special Olympics Ireland raise much needed funds for Team Ireland.

The delegation will receive a warm send-off before departure at Dublin airport. A dedicated check-in service at Dublin and London Heathrow airports will ensure that Team Ireland, volunteers and officials are securely processed through the airport as efficiently as possible.

Aer Lingus was the title sponsor in the National Aquatic Centre in Abbotstown at the 2003 Special Olympics World Summer Games which were held in Ireland in June that year. The airline's involvement with the the last World Games included all of the travel arrangements for the guests and Games' Organising Committee both in Ireland and the US.

Speaking at the annoucement, Aer Lingus Chief Executive, Dermot Mannion, said, "We are incredibly proud to be associated with the Special Olympics World Games once again, supporting the 400 athletes and volunteers as they make their journey to China. In addition to wishing all the competitors every success and enjoyment of the Games, I would also like to thank both the organising committee of the Games and all our own staff who have worked behind the scenes to make our involvement in the 2007 World Summer Games work in a really meaningful way.

I would like to take this opportunity to wish all those involved a very happy and successful Games".

Speaking at the announcement, Special Olympics Ireland Chief Executive, Mary Davis, said, "We are absolutely delighted to be renewing our association with Aer Lingus and we are most grateful to them for their very generous sponsorship of Team Ireland."
EI, FR, BD, RE, UA, XL, US,

OA260

Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:46 pm

Quoting Philb (Reply 46):
How did you know? Unless you recognised the company name how did you know it wasn't his own company and the amount you so gleefully took wouldn't be coming out of his own pocket?

If it was a company then it doesnt matter either way. He could get some tax back anyway I presume. Its hardly a poor student .

US AIRWAYS OFFICIALLY YEAR ROUND SERVICE

US Airways will fly DUB-PHL all year round with a reduced service operated by 757.

.2.4.67 PHL DUB 2045# 0820 US 722 757

1.3.5.7 DUB PHL 1100 1345 US 723 757

Good news and great to see a year round Philly connection. Just in time for November Xmas shopping trips!!!

mccormk

Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:56 pm

Anybody know who the handle agent is for USair in Dub.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos