CV580Freak
Topic Author

UA - New DXB Route

Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:09 am

UA execs are visiting DXB today to finalise plans for a new JFK/DXB route.

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/index...-to-announce-dubai-route&Itemid=76

Sounds like the KWI route is doing well too  Smile
One day you are the pigeon, the next the statue ...

MAH4546

RE: UA - New DXB Route

Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:16 am

Article is wrong. It will be Dulles-Dubai.
a.

walter747

Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:17 am

Quoting CV580Freak (Thread starter):
JFK/DXB route.

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 1):

Yea i was wondering why it said JFK. IAD makes more sense cause its their hub.
Hussel, Hussel, Husel, Grind, Grind, Grind

rwsea

Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:21 am

Good to see UA trying out another transatlantic route, if true. Obviously it will be IAD since UA has pulled down all other international flying from JFK.

Will they use a 777 or 744?

LAXintl

Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:29 am

Start as a tag off current KWI service. Formal announcement soon.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

cba

Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:32 am

I was going to say, it seems strange that they'd be operating the flight from JFK as they don't have much presence there. IAD makes a lot more sense. UA has really done an excellent job utilizing IAD as a gateway to Europe.

scorpy

Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:38 am

Quoting Walter747 (Reply 2):

Does the flight number perhaps start at JFK on domestic equipment?

Stitch

Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:42 am

Quoting Scorpy (Reply 6):
Does the flight number perhaps start at JFK on domestic equipment?

Only if it started in SFO or LAX. The only other UA JFK service is RJs from IAD (and that may be gone now that JFK-LHR and JFK-NRT are ending/ended).

AirlineFanatic

Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:50 am

so as a business destination UA would propose starting this service IAD-KWI-DXB? Seems like not many biz travelers will be interested in a 2 stop flight when there are opportunities to make 1 connection on EK through JFK and soon IAH and ATL on DL

xxx-ATL-DXB or xxx-JFK-DXB vs
xxx-IAD-KWI-DXB

nonetheless it is good to see another US carrier expanding to a new international destination. Wish it were nonstop especially with as large a hub as IAD is for UA. Was ORD not an option - range maybe?

Also, isn't QR starting IAD-DOH service shortly... another 1 stop connection and option to DXB on an international carrier with reputable service.

KevinSmith

Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:51 am

Quoting Cba (Reply 5):
UA has really done an excellent job utilizing IAD as a gateway to Europe.

I can't imagine that it wouldn't be a cash cow for them. There's got to be a decent demand for non-stop Europe routes from DC, especially with the government types there.
Learning to fly, but I ain't got wings.

cba

Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:36 am

Quoting KevinSmith (Reply 9):
I can't imagine that it wouldn't be a cash cow for them. There's got to be a decent demand for non-stop Europe routes from DC, especially with the government types there.

They've also got good connecting opportunities for one-stop traffic to Europe. I'd connect through IAD any day over JFK, EWR, ORD, etc, it's a much less crowded and much more pleasant airport to use.

mk777

Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:59 am

wow, thats cool, i wonder if UA will announce a new IAD-DEL non-stop flight soon  Smile, that might prove to be profitable for them.
come fly with me

behramjee

Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:15 am

UAL have 1-2 B 772ERs freed up with the suspension of the daily HNL-KIX flight effective this Oct...so that aircraft might be used for the IAD-DXB flight.

I wouldnt recommend UAL to fly the route as an extension of their KWI service as the operating costs of such a route flown on a thrice weekly basis is higher than flying the route nonstop. Other important advantages of flying the route nonstop is that its more attractive to their F & J class clientele who would anyday prefer this option than having to stop in Europe or in KWI enroute, a dedicated DXB flight disables the flight's pax & cargo load to be shared with UA's KWI station and lastly, the nonstop option is more attractive to traders and cargo merchants for their goods to be transported in a quick & efficient manner from DXB to USA.

They should launch initially it as a 3 weekly IAD-DXB nonstop service and then upgrade after a year to daily service.

[Edited 2007-04-30 00:46:07]

MEACEDAR

Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:22 am

Yea...I can't belive they would even consider JFK. They have no chance against EK. I can see either IAD-DXB or possible ORD-DXB.

FreequentFlier

Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:33 am

Quoting Behramjee (Reply 12):
UAL have 1-2 B 772ERs freed up with the suspension of the daily HNL-KIX flight effective this Oct...so that aircraft might be used for the IAD-DXB flight.

I thought this was utilization flying? Are you sure?

ORD Boy 2

Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:59 am

I would agree that it would be IAD-DXB. UA is taking a long look at the Middle East. Maybe there is hope for the TLV route I have long advocated. The IAD-JFK RJ service is still operating by the way. It is bookable. I saw it when I was looking to book ORD-NYC and looked at one stop possibilities

LAXintl

Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:23 am

I wouldnt recommend UAL to fly the route as an extension of their KWI service as the operating costs of such a route flown on a thrice weekly basis is higher than flying the route nonstop.

How do you come up with such math?

The airplane sits on the ground in KWI for about 6.5hrs. The incremental operating cost of a 90 minute hop down to DXB and back is pennies on the dollar compared a nonstop IAD-DXB route.

The tag flight is simply an opportunistic move which adds another city to the network, very much how places such as GIG, MVD(until recently), SGN etc.. are operated by United. A low cost, and low risk solution.

Amwest2United

Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:25 am

Quoting FreequentFlier (Reply 14):
I thought this was utilization flying? Are you sure?

You are correct it is, but if they turn the aircraft in KIX differently, then it will provide 1 plane.

But currently, there are two trancsons that are 777 aircraft that could be pulled aswell, SFO-IAD-SFO and
LAX-IAD-LAX. If we were to tag KWI, I would guess it would be on 744 equipment to allow for the extra lift.
IAD-KWI is full down below now.
Life is what happens to you while you making plans to live it!

LAXintl

Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:31 am

Quoting Amwest2united (Reply 18):
You are correct it is, but if they turn the aircraft in KIX differently, then it will provide 1 plane.

The KIX schedule changes in October to allow for sameday 2 hour SFO-KIX-SFO turn, the same way NGO is re-timed following the discontinuation of the NGO-TPE tag.

BMIFlyer

Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:34 am

Excellent, another route for my "to fly" list Big grin

Lee
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

behramjee

Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:22 am

Quoting Laxintl (Reply 17):
The airplane sits on the ground in KWI for about 6.5hrs. The incremental operating cost of a 90 minute hop down to DXB and back is pennies on the dollar compared a nonstop IAD-DXB route.

that maybe so but then the flight's load in the pax & cargo cabin would have to be shared between DXB and KWI stations + for the 5th freedom intra-gulf route.

a dedicated IAD-DXB nonstop flight can easily holds its own ground and has a lot of revenue potential especially in the premium cabin.

EK & EY are bound to launch in the future nonstop flights to IAD from their respective hubs..QR is already starting from July 19th a nonstop DOH-IAD flight and they will target the DXB market to feed this flight...for UAL to be competitive effectively against these Arab carriers from day 1, its best to launch DXB with a nonstop flight rather than with a tag on from KWI.

Pellegrine

Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:01 am

Quoting AirlineFanatic (Reply 8):
so as a business destination UA would propose starting this service IAD-KWI-DXB? Seems like not many biz travelers will be interested in a 2 stop flight when there are opportunities to make 1 connection on EK through JFK and soon IAH and ATL on DL

xxx-ATL-DXB or xxx-JFK-DXB vs
xxx-IAD-KWI-DXB

I tend to agree. The article mentions the DIFC and "big US banks". Errr... Maybe UA will target traffic that does not originate in NYC. There's already (depending on your alliance) EK/EY/BA/LH/AF/... without taking a puddle jumper down to IAD and stopping in KWI.
oh boy, here we go!!!

ORD Boy 2

Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:26 am

Does anyone think that UA might route it ORD-DXB, not likely but just a thought

georgebush

Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:41 am

Quoting ORD+Boy+2" class=quote target=_blank>ORD Boy 2 (Reply 24):
Does anyone think that UA might route it ORD-DXB, not likely but just a thought

It is possible they will have the flight number originate there, but it will be a "plane change." Like flight number (UA863) that used to go ORD-SYD-MEL with a stop in LAX, they obviously didn't fly the 747 from ORD to LAX.
Al Gore invented global warming.

flymd

Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:42 am

Quoting AirlineFanatic (Reply 8):
Was ORD not an option - range maybe?

I'm not sure about the range issue. I think ORD-DXB would fall within the 777 range since AA's ORD-DEL service does.

UA will definitely start the service from IAD as IAD seems to be the UA hub de jour. As an ORD based UA flyer, I would love to see UA start some new ORD international service. I stick with UA (I am a Premier), but from time to time defecting to AA is a thought b/c the great majority of their new international service (east and west-bound) originates in ORD (Central/South America is the only exception, and even that changed with their latest announcement). UA better keep it's homebase in mind before AA corners the international ORD market.
Fly the friendly skies of life!. Enjoy every minute.

daron4000

Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:58 am

Quoting Flymd (Reply 26):
UA will definitely start the service from IAD as IAD seems to be the UA hub de jour. As an ORD based UA flyer, I would love to see UA start some new ORD international service. I stick with UA (I am a Premier), but from time to time defecting to AA is a thought b/c the great majority of their new international service (east and west-bound) originates in ORD (Central/South America is the only exception, and even that changed with their latest announcement). UA better keep it's homebase in mind before AA corners the international ORD market.

I think that UA still has kept AA in check at ORD, especially regarding international destinations. The only transoceanic destinations that AA has which UA doesn't are MAN (which UA codeshared but operated BMI), DUB and SNN in Ireland (although these are pretty secondary markets), BRU and FCO (which UA serves from IAD), and DEL which is supposedly not doing well as hyped. Conversely, UA flies nonstop to ORD to both MUC and AMS which I think are bigger and more important European markets than DUB, SNN, or BRU. They also have Asia better covered with nonstops and higher frequencies to NRT, HKG, and PEK. While AA announced EZE which UA dropped, UA still serves GRU nonstop and again, based upon what has stayed and what has gone, GRU is more important city than EZE. So yes, while UA is focusing on IAD right now, I still think they have a pretty impressive international lineup compared to AA, especially considering that for the most part, AA considers ORD their international gateway to Europe and Asia whereas UA considers IAD their Europe gateway and SFO their Asia gateway and both have a larger presence than ORD does. Of course, AA has latin America locked in at MIA.
And lastly, while AA once dominated the European market, UA has really caught up. Both serve the same cities except for BRU and AMS (UA) and DUB, SNN, MAN, and MAD (AA). However, UA in addition provides codeshares nonstop from ORD and the US to MAN, DUS, VIE, Warsaw, Krakow, Copenhagen, and Stockholm so ultimately, I think UA wins against AA.

flymd

Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:12 pm

Quoting Daron4000 (Reply 27):
AA considers ORD their international gateway to Europe and Asia whereas UA considers IAD their Europe gateway and SFO their Asia gateway and both have a larger presence than ORD does.

This is my point exactly. While UA is based in Chicago, they have Pacific and Atlantic gateways in other locations. AA on the other hand considers ORD to be their Atlantic and Pacific gateway. UA has a greater Pacific presence in ORD because they serve more pacific destinations. UA's Atlantic destinations from ORD have been in exsistance for a while (the only exception being MUC, which is relatively new). Any new Atlantic frlights on UA will be from IAD, new Pacific routes will likely be from SFO (though ORD or IAD is a possibility).

If AA opens a new Atlantic or Pacific route, it will very likely be from ORD. I guarantee you that in the coming years as both airlines hopefully continue Atlantic expansion, AA will grow to have a larger presence than UA.

MAH4546

Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:21 pm

nd DEL which is supposedly not doing well as hyped.

Umm...not really. The flight does very well.
a.

ORD Boy 2

Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:41 pm

Quoting FlyMD (Reply 28):

If AA opens a new Atlantic or Pacific route, it will very likely be from ORD. I guarantee you that in the coming years as both airlines hopefully continue Atlantic expansion, AA will grow to have a larger presence than UA.

I highly doubt that UAL would allow that to happen considering ORD is their home turf plus they own more gates and slots at ORD than any other airline.

ConcordeBoy

Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:47 pm

I think ORD-DXB would fall within the 777 range since AA's ORD-DEL service does.

While UA's 772ERs would indeed be capable of ORD-DXB nonstop, it's generally not a good idea to assume equivalent performance based on comparison to AA's 777s-- which are significantly more capable aircraft than UA's.
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

flymd

Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:49 pm

Quoting ORD+Boy+2" class=quote target=_blank>ORD Boy 2 (Reply 30):
I highly doubt that UAL would allow that to happen considering ORD is their home turf plus they own more gates and slots at ORD than any other airline.

Trust me, as a frequent UA flyer and an ORD resident, I hope that you are correct though I doubt it.

If UA was concerned about their "home turf", they would be starting their new service from ORD. UA is not while AA is. It is not as much a matter of protecting home turf as it is a matter of doing what makes the most business sense. With IAD, UA can do the whole "Capitol to Capitol" theme. IAD also has better connectivity plus it is the nation's capitol.

If UA had the fleet and demand, I'm sure they would add IAD and ORD service but at the moment, that does not seem to be the case.

CHI787ORD

Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:37 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 29):

All the rumors about AA not doing well at DEL are just rumors. There have no indications that AA is making losses... infact its probably the opposite.

daron4000

Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:41 pm

Actually, according to published reports, not just AA but other airlines are also finding the ULH services to India not as cash loaded as A.net makes them out to be. Further, if AA is forced to add another pilot or longer layover due to its ever long battle with the pilot union and management, it will be enough to have to nix the route, according to AA reports.

JRDC930

Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:39 pm

Good for them, but if theyre targeting the premium crowd, id think its prety hard to compete with the likes of EK and Etihad, whos service are about a trillion times better than any U.S. carrier, unless theres a huge price difference. I do hope it works out though.
U.S. Legacy carriers,STILL leaders in lowering industry standards...

ConcordeBoy

Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:47 pm

Quoting JRDC930 (Reply 38):
its prety hard to compete with the likes of EK

Who doesn't fly to Washington, nor would have the "lock" on US government travel that UA typically enjoys

jacobin777

Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:50 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 29):

Quoting Daron4000 (Reply 36):
Actually, according to published reports, not just AA but other airlines are also finding the ULH services to India not as cash loaded as A.net makes them out to be. Further, if AA is forced to add another pilot or longer layover due to its ever long battle with the pilot union and management, it will be enough to have to nix the route, according to AA reports.

.....Daron, a word of advice...when it comes to knowing facts/ops about AA, I wouldn't really want to contradict MAH4546 too much....for the most part, as I (amongst others) have found out the hard way time and time again that its a losing proposition.... Wink
"Up the Irons!"

UA772IAD

Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:24 pm

But currently, there are two trancsons that are 777 aircraft that could be pulled aswell, SFO-IAD-SFO and
LAX-IAD-LAX. If we were to tag KWI, I would guess it would be on 744 equipment to allow for the extra lift.
IAD-KWI is full down below now.

SFO only gets a 777 (instead of the usual 763s) if there is a heavy load, or for aircraft repositioning. The 777s that serve LAX are 99% of the time not ER models and are not capable of flying to the Middle East.

The aircraft does not return to HNL but operates the SFO flight. The Inbound SFO flight goes to HNL.

VC10er

Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:08 pm

why doesn't UA start p.s. service from LAX and SFO to IAD as well as JFK? flying into IAD in F or C class and then get on a regular UA domestic flight would be horrible after a long haul.

plus, if they are growing IAD so much and have such great destinations they should try to tap into the NY market better. cant they put 737's or E190's to IAD from JFK or LGA? i would make that connection--its the old crj's that ruin the trip.

the secret is to depart from LGA on a 737 to IAD and not JFK to get flights to europe and LATAM.

when are they going to get more aircraft, or are there any left in the dessert worth restoring?
The world is missing love, let's use our flights to spread it!

roseflyer

Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:21 pm

I'm not sure that UA's 772ERs could easily fly DXB-IAD nonstop. I think that flight would be longer than UA's current longest 772ER flight (IAD-NRT is 300 miles shorter than IAD-DXB). UA does have lower MTOW 772ERs than other airlines like Continental. DXB might be at see level, but it can be extremely hot. That flight could take some serious payload hits. UA does have 744s that have more range and should be able to do that route nonstop with more cargo, but that's an awfully large plane for an unproven route.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

cba

Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:31 pm

LAX-IAD-LAX.

Yes, but those transcons are operated by the 772A and not the 772ER, and thus have a range of around 5500nm. Not all of UA's 772's are ER models: a lot of their transcon and IAD/ORD-Europe flights are operated on the 772A, so they can't just pull an aircraft of of those markets.

Quoting FlyMD (Reply 28):
Any new Atlantic frlights on UA will be from IAD, new Pacific routes will likely be from SFO (though ORD or IAD is a possibility).

checkmark 

It's simple: UA is the only major hub airline at IAD, whereas at ORD they have to compete much more. IAD has much more solid growth potential simply because UA does not share that hub with it's main competitor.

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Reply 31):
I think ORD-DXB would fall within the 777 range since AA's ORD-DEL service does.

While UA's 772ERs would indeed be capable of ORD-DXB nonstop, it's generally not a good idea to assume equivalent performance based on comparison to AA's 777s-- which are significantly more capable aircraft than UA's.

checkmark 

UA's PW powered 772ER's do not quite have the legs that the RR and (more specifically) the GE models have. The GE90 772's can fly up to 7700nm, whereas the PW powered models can make about 6900nm. Not sure about the Trent models.

ConcordeBoy

Tue May 01, 2007 12:14 am

Quoting Cba (Reply 45):
Not sure about the Trent models.

If you want round figures, Trent892 birds (the majority of their 656K application) can do 7500nm and the Trent895 birds (e.g., BA, LY, some DL) can match GE at 7700nm+

Amwest2United

Tue May 01, 2007 12:57 am

Quoting UA772IAD (Reply 42):
The aircraft does not return to HNL but operates the SFO flight. The Inbound SFO flight goes to HNL

Quoting Laxintl (Reply 19):
The KIX schedule changes in October to allow for sameday 2 hour SFO-KIX-SFO turn, the same way NGO is re-timed following the discontinuation of the NGO-TPE tag.

As mentioned already above, we are turning the aircraft differently in KIX in order to free up one aircraft. It will be a SFO-KIX-SFO with a 2 hour turn in KIX.

Quoting UA772IAD (Reply 42):
SFO only gets a 777 (instead of the usual 763s) if there is a heavy load, or for aircraft repositioning. The 777s that serve LAX are 99% of the time not ER models and are not capable of flying to the Middle East.

The SFO-IAD-SFO turn 914/915 is scheduled to operate in a "77I/ER model" all summer.
The LAX-IAD-LAX and the 2, IAD-DEN-IAD and a ORD-DEN-ORD are operated with 3 77C, but they can move the 77C 'back' to the SEA/SFO-NRT route and lets say NRT-HNL and/or NRT-ICN route to free up additional ER aircraft for Middle East flying. The 77C used to operate in the pacific route structure until this past year.
Life is what happens to you while you making plans to live it!

United787

Tue May 01, 2007 1:57 am

Quoting Mcdu (Reply 47):
MCDU

Welcome to my respected user list!

B777ER

Tue May 01, 2007 3:14 am

Quoting Cba (Reply 39):
UA's PW powered 772ER's do not quite have the legs that the RR and (more specifically) the GE models have. The GE90 772's can fly up to 7700nm, whereas the PW powered models can make about 6900nm. Not sure about the Trent models

It's easy going North America-DXB. The trouble is the DXB-North America routing. Extreme heat in DXB and prevailing winds working against you. Heck, even DL with the RR 895's will I imagine have some restrictions going DXB-ATL.

UA772IAD

Tue May 01, 2007 3:31 am

Quoting Amwest2United (Reply 41):
The SFO-IAD-SFO turn 914/915 is scheduled to operate in a "77I/ER model" all summer.

My mistake, I saw that in the bid package. That's a temporary assignment to recycle aircraft between the hubs. They did that last summer with the 744 operating 950/951.

Quoting Amwest2United (Reply 41):
The LAX-IAD-LAX and the 2, IAD-DEN-IAD and a ORD-DEN-ORD are operated with 3 77C, but they can move the 77C 'back' to the SEA/SFO-NRT route and lets say NRT-HNL and/or NRT-ICN route to free up additional ER aircraft for Middle East flying.

They will not do that though, there is no versitility if a C goes MX way out in Asia and has to be ferried back to California-which is one of the reasons why non ERs rarely fly to Asia. NRT-ICN cannot take a 77C. The aircraft's inbound assignment is ORD-NRT-ICN and then turns for SFO the next day. The outbound assignment is (SFO-ICN)-NRT-ORD. Besides, they need 77Cs to operate domestic/Europe, they only have 13 of them for internationals v. 33 ERs capable of flying to the Middle East.

mcdu

Tue May 01, 2007 3:41 am

Quoting United787 (Reply 42):
Welcome to my respected user list!

Thank you very much. I just received an email that my post in this thread were pulled because they were pasted with text from a user that was having all of their post pulled. I suspect it must be "cirrus driver" and not sure what the infraction was but it was a good debate while it lasted.

Let's hope the DXB route is a new non stop from IAD and not a tag. I am aftraid it will be a tag due to the lack of airframes . Any new routes will come at the expense of others until we get additional lift.

MCDU

RDUDDJI

Tue May 01, 2007 4:24 am

I've heard rumors for months about KWI going daily. As much as I'd like to see the non-stop, "Testing the waters" with an add-on might be the way to go to start out.

Quoting Mcdu (Reply 45):
Thank you very much. I just received an email that my post in this thread were pulled because they were pasted with text from a user that was having all of their post pulled. I suspect it must be "cirrus driver" and not sure what the infraction was but it was a good debate while it lasted.

Let's hope the DXB route is a new non stop from IAD and not a tag. I am aftraid it will be a tag due to the lack of airframes . Any new routes will come at the expense of others until we get additional lift.

MCDU

That's funny, I replied to your post and my post was also deleted (When Witchita Fall, so falls Witchita Falls). Anyway, I'll paste it again:

I'll agree with that assessment. Most pilots I talk to aren't "happy", but who in this industry really is? But I think our pilots are rational, and no one wants a repeat of the summer of 2000. Nearly everyone has taken cuts to some degree or another. Hopefully cooler heads will prevail. Yes, Tilton made out like a bandit on the bonus deal, but truth be told, airline CEO's are way underpaid compared to their peers at other companies. So I guess they share that in common with the rest of us.  banghead 
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

UA772IAD

Tue May 01, 2007 5:14 am

Quoting RDUDDJI (Reply 46):
I've heard rumors for months about KWI going daily. As much as I'd like to see the non-stop, "Testing the waters" with an add-on might be the way to go to start out.

I think that this is probably how it will start out. They did the same thing with ICN (and to some extent with TPE), a tag on from the ORD-NRT flight. Then eventually 3x week nonstop from SFO, and then in October, daily.
Route planning is definately smart on enough to start up this service before EK or any of the other Middle Eastern carriers take away the opportunity from them.

Quoting RDUDDJI (Reply 46):
Quoting Mcdu (Reply 45):

MCDU

That's funny, I replied to your post and my post was also deleted (When Witchita Fall, so falls Witchita Falls). Anyway, I'll paste it again:

I'll agree with that assessment. Most pilots I talk to aren't "happy", but who in this industry really is? But I think our pilots are rational, and no one wants a repeat of the summer of 2000. Nearly everyone has taken cuts to some degree or another. Hopefully cooler heads will prevail. Yes, Tilton made out like a bandit on the bonus deal, but truth be told, airline CEO's are way underpaid compared to their peers at other companies. So I guess they share that in common with the rest of us.

I think those are good points. It seems as though everyone in the industry isn't happy but are being rational (ramp, FAs, Customer service, maintence). As for UA pilots, do you think their rationality comes from the fact that management would actually fire them? (Recall '85). As for mangement, I tend to agree, but I think its mid level management that needs to be cleaned out. I have noticed that the corpoarte culture at UA, especially locally focuses on what needs to be improved, what isn't working, etc instead of what we're doing well at.

FreequentFlier

Tue May 01, 2007 7:50 am

Quoting UA772IAD (Reply 47):
I think those are good points. It seems as though everyone in the industry isn't happy but are being rational (ramp, FAs, Customer service, maintence). As for UA pilots, do you think their rationality comes from the fact that management would actually fire them? (Recall '85). As for mangement, I tend to agree, but I think its mid level management that needs to be cleaned out. I have noticed that the corpoarte culture at UA, especially locally focuses on what needs to be improved, what isn't working, etc instead of what we're doing well at.

Not sure why focusing on improving the bad, rather than patting one's self on the back for doing something good is a bad thing necessarily. Of course it makes sense to show appreciation for a job well done, but should UA just ignore things it does poorly and not try to improve them???

cirrusdriver

Wed May 02, 2007 1:52 am

Quoting Mcdu (Reply 45):

MCDU

Hello, I was surprised to get the E-mail that my post was being deleted. Anyways, I did not get a chance to review your response (if any) because the posts were deleted before I have a chance. For the record, I fly for a major cargo carrier, but I spent nearly 10 years at UA. My father retired a UA captain on the DC-10 and I still have several friends who fly for UA. I took pay and benefit cuts to save the airline and it seems that recently that these pay-cuts where subsidizing Tiltons pay package. I have a problem with that, and it seems, in my humble opinion, that the majority of UA pilots feel the same. I fully support UA pilots in they're protest of executive compensation, no matter what the A.net CEO cheerleaders say.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos