MSYtristar
Topic Author

McDonnell Douglas MD-80: A Classic

Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:57 am

You know, I used to not really like the MD-80 all that much back when we still had the 727's flying all over the place. I always thought of the M80 as a poor man's 727. Two engines, not three. Two pilots, not three. 2+3 seating, not 3+3 seating....and so on, and so forth. Obviously, the idea of efficiency was not at the forefront of a 15 year olds mind back in the day.  Wink It just never quite measured up to the 727, which, when it was flying, I would go out of my way to fly on...a marvelous plane. I have about 32 flights on 727-200's under my belt, and i'm very proud of that fact, since it's unlikely I'll get anymore. But now, seeing how there are so many 737's and A320's flying around....great planes to be certain, but hardly original from the exterior...I have come to appreciate the MD-80 and its legacy more and more over the past few years. No, it doesn't feature all of the creature comforts of the new 737/320 series aircraft...some people downright loathe the idea of flying one on a 4.5 hour semi transcon from ORD to SFO...but there's just something about the sound of those P&W's spooling up on the takeoff roll. It just sounds like a classic airliner, and it has the looks to match. Thankfully we'll still see it in service for the next decade at least thanks to the large M80 series fleet of AA and DL. But you know all good things come to an end, so we might as well appreciate the aircraft while they are here. The M80 has built itself a pretty decent legacy since it entered airline service nearly 27 years ago. I salute you, MD-80. Thanks for the 41 excellent flights so far, and I look forward to more.

Here are a few pics from an AAmazing MD-80 flight in April, '06:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y34/Nolaguy79/AAS80-1.jpg

I've flown on MD-80's with the following air carriers:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © B.Nazim

View Large View Medium

Photo © Andy kennaugh

View Large View Medium

Photo © Joerg A. Dittmer

View Large View Medium

Photo © Frank C. Duarte Jr.

View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

Photo © Bob Garrard

View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

Photo © Gregg Stansbery

AASuper80

RE: McDonnell Douglas MD-80: A Classic

Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:18 pm

Great post!!! I concur, the MD80 is a great aircraft!!! Had some of my best flights on the S80 ORD-SFO Mid-cons!!!
 bigthumbsup 

n844aa

Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:20 pm

Quoting AASuper80 (Reply 1):
Great post!!!

Fitting guy to post in this thread  Wink

I don't think there's a plane I'd rather fly than one of AA's MD-80s. Clean, comfortable and so quiet if you manage to get up front. That's one of the things I miss most about switching my flying from AA to CO. It's nice to know they'll be around for another decade or so, at least, but I'm going to miss them when they're all gone.
New airplanes, new employees, low fares, all touchy-feely ... all of them are losers. -Gordon Bethune

TrijetsRMissed

Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:29 pm

That was a great post. I took the MD-80 series for granted as well when the 727 was around in masses, but I have grown more fond of it since. I have taken AA MD-80's to virtually everywhere from ORD, as far as SEA, with along with SFO and LAX may be some of the longest MD-80 flights out there.

MSYtristar, as a side note the AA pic of N290AA was the last one I flew this March, TUS-ORD.  smile 
There's nothing quite like a trijet.

Jaws707

Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:40 pm

Quoting MSYtristar (Thread starter):
No, it doesn't feature all of the creature comforts of the new 737/320 series aircraft

I actually find it more comfortable to fly on the MD-80 rather than a 737/A320. Granted each time I have sat in the 2 seat part of the row rather then the 3 part, but I absolutely love having either the window or the aisle and having 1/2 the chance of getting the middle seat as I would in a 737/A320.

MSYtristar
Topic Author

Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:09 pm

Quoting TrijetsRMissed (Reply 3):
as a side note the AA pic of N290AA was the last one I flew this March, TUS-ORD

Nice to see them getting around the country still...MSY, ORD, TUS....good utilization there!

ConcordeBoy

Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:18 pm

NOTHING in aviation is better than the interior sound of an M80's takeoff spoolup!!!
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

MSYtristar
Topic Author

Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:23 pm

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Reply 6):
NOTHING in aviation is better than the interior sound of an M80's takeoff spoolup!!!

What the hell...we agree on something??? I think ribs are in order just for that!

ConcordeBoy

Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:26 pm

what are you talking about Dor'thy, we usually agree on plenty of stuff..... most notably that Alibooboo sucks  Smile

MSYtristar
Topic Author

Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:33 pm

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Reply 8):
what are you talking about Dor'thy, we usually agree on plenty of stuff

I know, I just needed an excuse to go eat ribs again, and saying that we hardly ever agree but did so this time would constitute a reason to celebrate.

most notably that Alibooboo sucks

Oh come on now. What's Mr. Green Wave himself done to you this time?

ConcordeBoy

Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:36 pm

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 9):
I know, I just needed an excuse to go eat ribs again

it'd have to be Kabby's though, not VooDoo this time.

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 9):
What's Mr. Green Wave himself done to you this time?

Existed.

columba

Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:08 pm

But now, seeing how there are so many 737's and A320's flying around....great planes to be certain, but hardly original from the exterior...I have come to appreciate the MD-80 and its legacy more and more over the past few years.

I agree with you on that. In Germany I hardly see any MD 80s anymore but being here in the New York, New Jersey area I see plenty of DL and AA aircraft on their approach to Newark and La Guardia and it makes me feel really great to see the long T-Tail cruising the sky.
But so far my best sightings since I am here were the Fedex Dc MD 10s on approach to EWR and the other day I was very thrilled to see an UPS Dc 8 !!!
It will forever be a McDonnell Douglas MD 80 , Boeing MD 80 sounds so wrong

Tan Flyr

Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:07 pm

I'll have to agree..I really like the MD-80..Yup I also used to perceive themm as a poor mans 727..until the day I found out the degree of cost savings of the MD-80 over the 727 on an average 3 hr flight..No wonder they went to the boneyard so fast after 9-11.

Yup, the 727 was the workhorse of her day..and her days lasted almost 40 years..But the dynamic twin from Long beach has the new title (along with the 737).

By the time the last ones are ever off the active roster at say AA, the MD-80 will have a 40 year run also..bet on it..any they will live on for years in second / third tier service. (see DC-8 longevity)

Have a great week!

pitpirate

Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:08 pm

What a great aircraft the MD-80 -- I agree, when you sit in the rear and hear those engines, it really feels like you have some thrust & power underneath of you, not so much on the newer 737/A320 -- Long May She Soar. (My 1st. post -- long time reader of the forums, finally decided to break down & join)

westindian425

Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:17 pm

Having taken a ride on them with BWIA, I grew fond of the Mad-Dog. It still has one of the best (translation: steepest  Smile)takeoffs I've ever seen.
God did not create aircraft pilots to be on the ground

UAL747

Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:21 pm

I actually prefer to sit in the front of the cabin, or as close to the front as possible. Not that I don't like hearing the engines, but the MD-80 has a really awesome feel up there. It's SOOOO quiet on take off, barely any engine noise at all and you sort of here this low wooooosh and you are pushed back into your seat as the plane takes off, again with hardly any noise. It reminds a lot of doing a full throttle onto the interstate in a Lexus LS430. Those cars have a lot of power, however you hardly hear the engine.

But as for the MD-80 as a whole, I love the bird. They definitely beat anyones 737-200/300/400/500 series and well, I just think that airbus narrowbodies are fugly. But, I do have to say that the NG 737's are pretty nice and hard to beat. Especially with those great winglets.

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

flyorski

Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:31 pm

I love the Mad Dogs, but I do not think they where the poor mans 727, that was the DC-9 (earlier of course)  Wink

However, AA does need to do some cabin work on them, the interiors have remained unchanged for a while now.
"None are more hopelessly enslaved, than those who falsly believe they are free" -Goethe

N766UA

Tue May 01, 2007 8:33 am

They're good to fly on, but the bins are by far the worst out there and they're broken more than any other airplane in our fleet. Cool airplanes, they make alot of noise, and the front cabin is quiet, but it really is one of the more unreliable airplanes out there.
This Website Censors Me

TrijetsRMissed

Tue May 01, 2007 9:25 am

One of the great things about the MD-80 series is the powerful and steep take-off. Compared to the 727, it takes off like a rocket. The best part of the flight.

Quoting Flyorski (Reply 16):
AA does need to do some cabin work on them, the interiors have remained unchanged for a while now.

I think AA re-did the cabins of a portion of the fleet in the late 90's - early 2000's. I find the cabins to be much more comfortable than the AA 757's, which don't have a headrest. I have been on a couple of the oldest MD-82's that were built in '83, and I will admit the cabins were a bit tired.

Quoting N766UA (Reply 17):
it really is one of the more unreliable airplanes out there.

Interestingly enough, I have never had a delay on an MD-80 because the aircraft went mechanical. Conversely, it's happened to me on both the A320 and 737NG.

PGNCS

Tue May 01, 2007 9:48 am

No, it doesn't feature all of the creature comforts of the new 737/320 series aircraft

I think it's more comfortable, and I really like the odds for avoiding a middle seat!

They're good to fly on, but the bins are by far the worst out there and they're broken more than any other airplane in our fleet. Cool airplanes, they make alot of noise, and the front cabin is quiet, but it really is one of the more unreliable airplanes out there.

Have to disagree on the reliability. They are at or near the top of the reliability stats consistently at my airline. They get minor stuff deferred on them at a lot of carriers because they work so hard with short turn times and MX never has time to fix them.

Quoting TrijetsRMissed (Reply 18):
Interestingly enough, I have never had a delay on an MD-80 because the aircraft went mechanical. Conversely, it's happened to me on both the A320 and 737NG.

I've had MX delays on all three but with over 10,000 hours in the DC-9/MD-80 family, I can say that it rarely breaks hard, and when it does it's normally a relatively quick fix. (Exceptions are hydraulics, sometimes, and flight controls...the slat actuation drum is a pain for MX to work on, but the techs on here can tell you more about that!)

The MD is a great plane which is frequently underestimated. Like the A-320 there's a lot of misinformation out here about the MD, but in my acquaintance, it's a great airplane, and I expect to spend a few thousand more hours in it before they go away.

LHStarAlliance

Tue May 01, 2007 6:17 pm

I flew on such an A/C some years ago and I was surpirsed of how silent the cabin was !
Far better than any other .

Konstantin
Boycott The Olympic Games In Beijing !

Asturias

Tue May 01, 2007 11:02 pm

I adore the MD80s  Smile

One of the nicest design out there and really tough machines. No high-tech wizardry aboard, the CD9 legacy in full life. Comfortable to fly on short sub 2 hr flights and really quiet when sitting in the front.

I'm going to miss them when they're gone..

saludos

Asturias
Tonight we fly

PC12Fan

Tue May 01, 2007 11:12 pm

Just wish we could see a bunch of them with these on 'em.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Stewart Andrew
View Large View Medium

Photo © A J Best

Just when I think you've said the stupidest thing ever, you keep talkin'!

TSS

Tue May 01, 2007 11:39 pm

it really is one of the more unreliable airplanes out there.

Quoting TrijetsRMissed (Reply 18):
I have never had a delay on an MD-80 because the aircraft went mechanical.

Quoting PGNCS (Reply 19):
with over 10,000 hours in the DC-9/MD-80 family, I can say that it rarely breaks hard, and when it does it's normally a relatively quick fix.

I've suffered only two mechanical delays, both on MD-80s, and in both cases it took much longer for the tech to get to the plane than it did for him to fix the plane once he was there.

(Although I didn't see either tech at work, I imagine the "fixes" consisted of a few well-placed whacks from the handle of a screwdriver followed by a satisfying "thunk-hmmmmmmm..." from the recalcitrant machinery and then the tech buttoning up the access plate and saying "There. Good as new".
Honestly, in both cases the fixes were that fast.)
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

beechnut

Wed May 02, 2007 12:12 am

Well, let's just roll things back a bit. An MD-80, by any other name, is a DC-9. In fact the MD81, 82 and 83 are listed as DC-9-81, -82 and -83 on the type certificate (not sure about the -87, the MD88 is an MD88 on the TC if I recall).

So when one lauds the MD80, one in fact is lauding one of the finest designs out there, certainly the finest ever from McDonnell-Douglas, the DC-9. If you count the 717, which really was a DC-9, this aircraft had a production run lasting nearly 40 years. It so far appears only one aircraft will surpass that, the 747, which will be 40 in 2009.

Well not even the DC-3 can claim that. In fact the entire production life of the DC-9 surpasses the DC-3's service life in mainline service (first DC-3: 1936...how many were in mainline service in 1976? Zero). Surely, if ever there was a DC-3 of the Jet Age, the DC-9, up to and including the MD80 and 717 series, is it. A twin, go anywhere, make money machine. The oldest airframes in mainline service would have to be NWs DC-9s. A truly great aircraft by all measures, and in legendary MD fashion, built like a tank.

And as great a machine as the 727 was, let's face it, the DC-9/MD-80 has outlived it. Simply due to better economics.

Beech.

falstaff

Wed May 02, 2007 12:26 am

Quoting TAN FLYR (Reply 12):
By the time the last ones are ever off the active roster at say AA, the MD-80 will have a 40 year run also..bet on it..any they will live on for years in second / third tier service. (see DC-8 longevity)

Have a great week!

I would agree. I flew on a 39 year old NW DC-9-40 a few weeks ago and I think NW has a DC-9 or two built in 1967. If there are DC-9s still flying at 40 there is no doubt in my mind that MD-80s will still be flying at 40. I think there will be DC-9s still flying for at least another 20 years. Probably not flying passengers in the USA or Europe, but flying cargo somewhere. I fully expect to see an operational MD-80 somewhere in 2045

Quoting TAN FLYR (Reply 12):
Yup, the 727 was the workhorse of her day..and her days lasted almost 40 years

Her days are still now. You can still fly em' on a couple of charters in the USA and the mail I send probably rides on a 727 regularly. There are a lot less around, but they still are seen at some airports.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

Delta787

Wed May 02, 2007 12:44 am

The MD-80 is a great plane. Its quiet and the lack of middle seat on the one side is great. I will miss it when it is gone from Delta's fleet.
Fly Delta!

CV990

Wed May 02, 2007 4:52 am

Hi!

First time I flew in a MD80 or at that time DC-9-80 was in September 1981 from LIS to GVA with Swissair. At that time the Super 80 was starting to "arrive" to Europe, with Swissair, Finnair, Austrian, Alitalia and latter on with Iberia, SAS. I remember that it was fairly easy to get a window seat ahead of the wing. Latter on I would fly also with Alitalia in 1989. Since then I never flew again in the MD80 and I guess that was it, I started to feel that it would be more and more difficult to get a chance to fly it...Alitalia stoped flying to LIS with it, IB was still flying but the Airbus was comming more and more, in USA AA is still strongly flying it but AA was never my option, and then suddenly last July 2006 out of the blue the MD80 "came again to me"!!! I was in CLO returning to BOG when I saw arriving an AV MD80 that was going to fly us back, and then I was very pleased and once again it was onderfull to pick a nice window seat ahead of the wing, because the MD80 have rear engines most of the cabin is very calm and the take-off was quite steady and powerfull. The flight was a mere 45 minutes but for me it was wonderfull to return to an MD80...I don't know if I'll ever have a chance to fly it again but I think if I don't I'll be fine!!!
MD80 indeed a great airplane too!
regards
CV990, the Maserati of the skies!

Tancrede

Wed May 02, 2007 4:59 am

I must be honest with myself, as a hardcore Airbus fan, and admit that I really do love to fly with the MD-90 (ok, it is not a MD-80, but same family). I am flying more and more with that plane, mostly with Blue1, and have to said that its handling in turbulences is fantastic - please tell me if I am wrong - but much better than with an A320.
The Mad Dog is a great plane.

TrijetsRMissed

Wed May 02, 2007 5:35 am

Quoting BeechNut (Reply 24):
Well, let's just roll things back a bit. An MD-80, by any other name, is a DC-9. In fact the MD81, 82 and 83 are listed as DC-9-81, -82 and -83 on the type certificate (not sure about the -87, the MD88 is an MD88 on the TC if I recall).

I don't think the MD-87 was ever a "DC-9" as it was introduced a few years after McDonnell Douglas went with the "MD" moniker and the first with the EFIS flight-deck. I'm not 100% so someone please correct me if I'm wrong. You are right about the MD-88.

Quoting Falstaff (Reply 25):
I flew on a 39 year old NW DC-9-40 a few weeks ago and I think NW has a DC-9 or two built in 1967. If there are DC-9s still flying at 40 there is no doubt in my mind that MD-80s will still be flying at 40.

What is really amazing is the fact that the NW DC-9's have been flying short routes most of their lives and hence must have massive cycles on their belts. I wonder how if the future composite airliners will be able to endure 50 years of service with thousands upon thousands of cycles.

Quoting Tancrede (Reply 28):
I must be honest with myself, as a hardcore Airbus fan, and admit that I really do love to fly with the MD-90

What is unique about the MD-90, (relative to other MD aircraft) is that as a passenger it does not seem nostalgic at all, rather just as modern as the current crop of airliners.

Quoting Tancrede (Reply 28):
its handling in turbulences is fantastic - please tell me if I am wrong - but much better than with an A320.

That has been said before on these threads. Possibly the T-tail design and rear-mounted engines create a smoother flight.

ORL777

Wed May 02, 2007 7:56 am

Great Post!!!! Long Life Mags Dogs!!!

steeler83

Wed May 02, 2007 8:07 am

MSYTristar, how right you are! We really should enjoy what we have now before it's all gone. I've never been on a 732 and kinda regret it. I've also never been on a 727... I REALLY regret that! I was on 2 DC9s though at age 9 on PIT-MCO courtesy of USAir... Maybe one of these days I'll fly on a Super '80...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

flyingclrs727

Wed May 02, 2007 8:27 am

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 31):
MSYTristar, how right you are! We really should enjoy what we have now before it's all gone. I've never been on a 732 and kinda regret it. I've also never been on a 727... I REALLY regret that! I was on 2 DC9s though at age 9 on PIT-MCO courtesy of USAir... Maybe one of these days I'll fly on a Super '80..

I used to love sitting on a window seat on a 727 and watch the flaps deploy for takeoffs and landings. I didn't care much for the 737-200's at first. I thought they were the ugly step children of the 727. It wasn't till early 2005 that Southwest stopped flying 737-200's in Texas, so it wasn't till March of this year that I had ever flown any model of the 737 other than the 200.

Woosie

Wed May 02, 2007 8:35 am

Quoting TrijetsRMissed (Reply 29):

I don't think the MD-87 was ever a "DC-9" as it was introduced a few years after McDonnell Douglas went with the "MD" moniker and the first with the EFIS flight-deck. I'm not 100% so someone please correct me if I'm wrong. You are right about the MD-88.

DC-9-81/82/83/87 and MD-88; that's what the TCDS says (I looked at it earlier today at work).

I really like the MD-80 series too, but I haven't ridden on an MD-90 nor 717; I've been in most of them though, during their construction. The airplanes have parts that fail, like all airplanes; in general, though, they are very stout. I'll be providing engineering for their repair and/or modification until 2020 or so (retirement time), along with a few DC-8's and bevy of DC-10/MD-10/MD-11.

falstaff

Wed May 02, 2007 10:49 am

What is really amazing is the fact that the NW DC-9's have been flying short routes most of their lives and hence must have massive cycles on their belts. I wonder how if the future composite airliners will be able to endure 50 years of service with thousands upon thousands of cycles.

I once saw somthing about NWs DC-9s and fleet average cycles and hours. I do not recall the numbers but I know the hours were well over 100,000. I would like to see those numbers again.

N62NA

Wed May 02, 2007 11:15 am

And as great a machine as the 727 was, let's face it, the DC-9/MD-80 has outlived it.

And interestingly, the DC-8 is still in use as a cargo jet, while the 707 has all but disappeared.

flyingclrs727

Wed May 02, 2007 11:33 am

Quoting N62NA (Reply 35):
And interestingly, the DC-8 is still in use as a cargo jet, while the 707 has all but disappeared.

Something like 250 707's were bought by the USAF to upgrade the KC-135 fleet. The tails and engines were taken off 707's and installed on KC-135A models to make them KC-135E's. I'm sure other parts were used for spares. The Pratt and Whitney TF-33 engines from the 707-320B and 720B are much more efficient than the earlier turbojet engines they replaced. The great thing for Boeing was that it took lots of old 707's off the used plane market in the early 1980's. Before the KC-135 upgrade program, Boeing actually tested CFM-56 engines on a 707-320. There had been a proposal to remanufacture existing 707-320's with CFM-56 engines and adding a slight stretch to them and redesignate the modified planes as 707-700's, but the economists at Boeing predicted that an upgraded 707 would have decreased demand for the new 757 that was being designed at that time, and the upgrade program was dropped.

United_fan

Wed May 02, 2007 10:58 pm

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Reply 6):

I'de prefer a DC-9 sitting near the rear,but that's just me  Smile

Quoting N62NA (Reply 35):

This also has to do with the DC-8's taller landing gear,which made it easier to stretch and clearance issues for larger fans (CFM's).
Champagne For My Real Friends,and Real Pain For My Sham Friends

MD80Nut

Wed May 02, 2007 11:21 pm

As my user name might suggest, I'm a huge fan of the MD80 and all the Mighty Mad Dog Twins. I've been fortunate to fly on all of them except the DC-9-20, DC-9-40 and MD87. I've flown on MD80s more than any other plane except the 727-200. To me, the MD80 is the best looking narrow body jet by a long shot and it's never let me down on a trip. Heck, it looks fast just sitting on the ramp! I'm looking forward to my next MD80 flights in June with AA FLL-ORD-FLL.

I've flown on MD80s with American, Aerolineas Argentinas, AeroMexico, BWIA, Continental, Delta, Spirit and US Air. I didn't get to fly on the MD80 until 1991 with Delta, but since then I've racked up quite a few flights on them.

Don't get me wrong, I love the A320 family and the 737NG family, but the MD80 remains special to me. I know we're seeing the twilight of the Mad Dogs, let's face it, the A320s and 737NGs are more efficient and flexible. But they will never look as good as a Mad Dog Twin!

biggrin 

Cheers, Ralph
Fly Douglas Jets DC-8 / DC-9 / DC-10 / MD80 / MD11 / MD90 / 717

BlatantEcho

Thu May 03, 2007 12:34 am

always went out of my way to book Alaska instead of Southwest when I knew I could get a ride on the MD80s.

Favorite airliner by far when you're up front on the MadDog.
They're not handing trophies out today

falstaff

Thu May 03, 2007 12:41 am

Quoting MD80Nut (Reply 38):
I've been fortunate to fly on all of them except the DC-9-20, DC-9-40 and MD87.

If you really want to fly on a DC-9-40 check out flights from DTW. I have flown on the -40s several times DTW-STL and back.

DIA

Thu May 03, 2007 12:46 am

First off, nothing (to me) will ever beat the spool-up sounds of a 727and DC-9...love that whining.

I too find myself enjoying the -80s more now than ever before...with all the 737 2nd-gens and 3rd-gens and the A320 series dominantly flying around...maybe monotonous is the word here. Heck, I even miss the F-100s.

My first MD-80 flight was on a Continental goldentail back in the mid-80s...great livery on a great a/c.

What are your thoughts on the MD-90? Not the same?
Ding! You are now free to keep supporting Frontier.

MSYtristar
Topic Author

Thu May 03, 2007 12:47 am

Great comments, guys. It's great to see that the MD-80 still has so many supporters out there after all these years. Generally in the past all i've read (well, mostly) was criticism that AA flies them on four hour treks from ORD...or that DFW is dominated by S80's...etc. I'd rather have my airport dominated by -80's than by 73G's or 320's, I'll tell you that much! Anyway, long live the T-tail...long live the DC-9 "Super" 80!

United_fan

Thu May 03, 2007 12:47 am

Quoting Falstaff (Reply 40):
If you really want to fly on a DC-9-40 check out flights from DTW. I have flown on the -40s several times DTW-STL and back.

NW flies these into ROC,make it a weekend!
Champagne For My Real Friends,and Real Pain For My Sham Friends

MSYtristar
Topic Author

Thu May 03, 2007 12:55 am

Quoting DIA (Reply 41):
My first MD-80 flight was on a Continental goldentail back in the mid-80s...great livery on a great a/c

I was on CO flight #1775, MD-80 routing FLL-MSY-DEN, back in 1990...

At the gate, the agent was proud to announce "now boarding Continental flight 1775, GOLDEN JET service to Denver Stapleton airport."

Great flight! It was flight #1212 on the way back, another MD-80, full dinner service of course. Those were the days.

757MDE

Thu May 03, 2007 1:19 am

I also agree.
I flew on Avianca's MD-83 and the ride was memorable.
Here in Colombia sometimes one gets bored of watching so many MD-80s (the most common Airplane here, both Avianca and AeroRepública have them) but in my case the boredom lasts like 10 seconds...

The MD-80 is one sexy bird!. I look forward to see them operating some years more, even though Colombian airlines are beginning to search for replacements.
Quisiera volveraamartevolveraquerertevolveratenertecerrrrcaademígirl! Mis ojos lloran porrr ti...

douwd20

Thu May 03, 2007 4:33 am

Sitting near the front of the plane during take-off is a surreal experience. Almost complete silence as the nose lifts off and a steep climb ensues. A beautiful bird.

beechnut

Thu May 03, 2007 9:04 am

Just checked some FAA documents and indeed the MD-87 was, on the type certificate, DC-9-87. The MD88 was the start of the "MD" series on type certificates. Before that MD8X was a marketing model number.

Beech

Tornado82

Thu May 03, 2007 10:16 am

I'll respectfully disagree. Not a fan of the DC-9 series of aircraft at all. I'll take a 737 any day. But then again I prefer ERJ-145's to both of them, so each man is subject to his own opinion. I think my main problem with the DC-9 family is that I've ridden too many of NW's... the DL MD-88's I was on was leaps and bounds better than any DC-9.

..... most notably that Alibooboo sucks Smile

bigthumbsup   shhh 

md80fanatic

Thu May 03, 2007 12:24 pm

Quoting Tornado82 (Reply 48):
I think my main problem with the DC-9 family is that I've ridden too many of NW's... the DL MD-88's I was on was leaps and bounds better than any DC-9.

Wellllll, those DC-9s are old enough to be your mother. Each have travelled further than you will in your whole life, and they will be up bright and early in the morning to do it all over again tomorrow...with no complaints.

I say give the old girl a break.  Wink