wjcandee

Delta Airlines Copies Delta Faucet Typeface?

Wed May 02, 2007 2:35 am

In looking at the new, dull, DL livery, which I could easily confuse with Air Canada from a distance, I noticed something else: The typeface that DL uses for spelling DELTA is flat-out identical to the one that the Delta Faucet folks have used for years. I noticed it right away. It's uncanny. Have a look at www.deltafaucet.com But for the spacing between the letters and the thickness (bold vs non-bold), you would think that you were at the same web site. And now that DL is happy twisting, turning, molding, etc. the Widget, the Delta Faucet logo could be the next version of the widget. Pathetic. I wonder how much they paid their consultants to come up with a typeface that someone else was already using.

It reminds me of when NBC paid a million bucks or so for a new "N" logo, which turned out to be identical to the one that some guy in the art department of Nebraska Public Television had designed for basically nothing, one that NPT had used on air for years and had trademarked. Ooops. NBC ended up paying NPT a bunch of money, whereafter NPT made a new logo with a lowercase N.

Funny. Comments?

jsquared

RE: Delta Airlines Copies Delta Faucet Typeface?

Wed May 02, 2007 2:41 am

Wow, that is insane! Combine that with the Citgo logo discussed in First Picture - Delta 757 New Colors (by Clickhappy Apr 30 2007 in Civil Aviation) and they have a completely ripped off "new" logo. On the cheap, indeed!

deltaffindfw

Wed May 02, 2007 2:58 am

What is even more funny is that www.delta.com used to be Delta Faucet's website. DAL had delta-air.com for a while.

wjcandee

Wed May 02, 2007 3:10 am

Quoting DeltaFFinDFW (Reply 2):
DAL had delta-air.com for a while

I remember that. Maybe that particular typeface stuck in somebody's brain from way back when!

deltagator

Wed May 02, 2007 3:16 am

Quoting DeltaFFinDFW (Reply 2):
What is even more funny is that www.delta.com used to be Delta Faucet's website. DAL had delta-air.com for a while.

I remember the old Delta-Air webpage. Was it really the faucet folks? I thought it was some small business out in Mississippi or something. It's been a while so maybe I'm just remembering poorly.

Edit: I found it. Here's an article on it and the dealings they went through to get the domain name. Doesn't make Delta look too good but then what do you expect when you get the big company lawyers involved. It Delta Air Lines, DeltaComm, and Delta Financial. There will be a quiz later on the players involved.  Wink

http://www.elliott.org/archives/000786no_winner_in_de.php

Quoting Wjcandee (Thread starter):
Have a look at www.deltafaucet.com

I knew it looked familiar but I couldn't place it. Now it all makes no sense but at least I have another piece of the puzzle.

[Edited 2007-05-01 20:20:17]
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

SBN580

Wed May 02, 2007 3:21 am

Close, but not quite the same. Both have simple block lettering, but Delta Air Lines has a bold font compared to the faucets. However, if I see Delta faucest appearing on all Delta Air LInes aircraft, I will smell a consipirarcy!  hypnotized   laughing 
North Central: Good People Made Their Airline Great! FLY MD-90 POWER! Keep 'em Flying DELTA Family!

deltagator

Wed May 02, 2007 3:27 am

Quoting SBN580 (Reply 5):
However, if I see Delta faucest appearing on all Delta Air LInes aircraft, I will smell a consipirarcy!

Perhaps both Delta companies are responsible for the Oakland bridge collapse in an attempt to sell cross-Bay air service with the opportunity to buy duty free faucets on the 5 minute flight.  Wink
Bay Area Bridge Collapse Conspiracy?  Wink (by AndesSMF Apr 29 2007 in Non Aviation)
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

rampart

Wed May 02, 2007 3:28 am

I don't see much similarity, honestly. The fonts are different, the airline's being more bold and spaced farther apart. As for the logo, as suggested in the other thread, nowhere close. Anything with a "delta" in the name is probably going to feature something resembling a triangle for a logo, but the similarity ends there. As for Citgo, I think there's a stronger argument, however, as I mentioned in the other thread.

-Rampart

drgmobile

Wed May 02, 2007 3:30 am

Really far too similar for my liking. Didn't anybody check?!

GlobalATL

Wed May 02, 2007 3:32 am

Delta Airlines Copies Delta Faucet Typeface?

For the love of God, people.

3 WORDS: Delta Air Lines
TriStar BusinessElite FedEx AirTran Delta Air Lines oneworld SkyTeam JetBlue/jetBlue MAXjet SkyMiles Eos = good spelling

JMV

Wed May 02, 2007 4:20 am

One of those "Separated at Birth" comparisons...  Wink

Google begins where my brain ends! ©

alphascan

Wed May 02, 2007 4:37 am

So Delta Faucet takes Delta Air Lines to court and DAL has to change their corporate identity yet another time. What will that make it? Four times in the past six years? Heads ought to have rolled for the past three snafus, let alone this one.
"To he who only has a hammer in his toolbelt, every problem looks like a nail."

AlexPorter

Wed May 02, 2007 4:48 am

Look. Sans-serif fonts are en vogue these days. Lots of companies are sans-serif. United, Northwest, and Delta have made that switch in the past five years. Now, when you want to get a sans-serif font, where the letters are equally thick at all points of the letter, then typefaces tend to look alike. The same holds for serif fonts. No one is saying that back in the 1990s United ripped off Northwest's 1989 typeface, because they are both basically equivalent to Times New Roman. Things like this happen. What's important here is that Delta used a different color, wider spacing, and thicker letters to actually distinguish its font. The two could be a lot more similar than they are.

Now the Citgo thing might have something going for it, but this whole typeface thing is pretty ridiculous.
Last Flight: SCX701 MSP-PHX B738 8Jan2008

deltagator

Wed May 02, 2007 4:55 am

Quoting Alphascan (Reply 11):
Four times in the past six years?

Your timeline is wrong. Wavy Gravy was introduced 7 years ago in 2000 (probably announced in 1999 IIRC.) The Ron Allen Livery was introduced in 1997 to replace the 60's era livery that had been modified very little over the previous 30 years. So I'm counting 3 changes in 10 years.

As for heads rolling because of a livery change...simmer down Francis.

SBN580

Wed May 02, 2007 4:58 am

Quoting AlexPorter (Reply 12):
Now the Citgo thing might have something going for it, but this whole typeface thing is pretty ridiculous.

Exactly. While there is some similarity, they are different. There is no reason to sue. I think as long as what, a 15% difference can be distinguished, there is no copyright infraction. Besides, the two business are not even in related industries. I am surprised no one mentioned the shades of red look suspciously similar.  tongue 
North Central: Good People Made Their Airline Great! FLY MD-90 POWER! Keep 'em Flying DELTA Family!

ord

Wed May 02, 2007 5:01 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 13):
Your timeline is wrong. Wavy Gravy was introduced 7 years ago in 2000 (probably announced in 1999 IIRC.) The Ron Allen Livery was introduced in 1997

April 10, 1997: Ron Allen scheme introduced
March 22, 2000: Wavy Gravy introduced

KELPkid

Wed May 02, 2007 5:05 am

Quoting Alphascan (Reply 11):
So Delta Faucet takes Delta Air Lines to court and DAL has to change their corporate identity yet another time. What will that make it? Four times in the past six years? Heads ought to have rolled for the past three snafus, let alone this one.

Knowing Delta, the marketing dept. would probably come up with Price Pfister Airlines as their new coporate identity  blockhead 
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

rikkus67

Wed May 02, 2007 5:31 am

take the font, italicize it, and lessen the height... comes up close to what they had with the 30+ year font on their aircraft.
Big version: Width: 493 Height: 84 File size: 23kb
font-wise: squish it and italicize it... not hard to get that 60's look....

...this tends to make me think that they used the older font, and used it non-italicized.

Oh, and I am still disappointed with the butchered widget.... guess we can call it "tartan-tail".  Angry
AC.WA.CP.DL.RW.CO.WG.WJ.WN.KI.FL.SK.ACL.UA.US.F9

YEGer

Wed May 02, 2007 9:41 am

Not sure that I see the Air Canada / Delta resemblance you are talking of....

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Pierre Langlois
View Large View Medium

Photo © Josh - 4A7 Spotters

wjcandee

Wed May 02, 2007 9:48 am

No?

View Large View Medium

Photo © Gerry Stegmeier

YEGer

Wed May 02, 2007 9:51 am

A little closer, but I would still not mistaken them--even at a distance!! Maybe the new US Airways and Delta are a little closer!! Especially given the engine color, lower body color, and color choice!!

SuseJ772

Wed May 02, 2007 10:07 am

I don't usually comment on posts like this, but I just have to say: this new livery is about the ugliest thing I could think of for Delta. As a graphic designer, I can't believe they went with that color combination. That red looks like the saturation "in the red ink cartridge" was running low but they just said, ahh heck, it looks good enough.

The tail isn't awful but the widget with the DELTA towards the front of the plane is so ugly. I can't imagine what their website is going to look like when they get the redesign completely done.

Whoever designed/agreed to this should admit they were wrong, and redesign before they paint 200 planes.
Currently at PIE, requesting FWA >> >>

Jj

Wed May 02, 2007 10:07 am

I still fail to see the resemblance anyway, but the AC livery you're confusing it with is on the way out... so I don't think you'll have that much of a chance to see the two of them together.

wjcandee

Wed May 02, 2007 11:06 am

Quoting Jj (Reply 22):
I still fail to see the resemblance anyway, but the AC livery you're confusing it with is on the way out... so I don't think you'll have that much of a chance to see the two of them together.

My secondary point, referring to Air Canada, was that it wasn't an original color/lettering combination, unlike, say, CO. It's just uninspired. The major point was that it's like the faucet company's lettering, which, in fact, is trademarked.

Also, the old Air Canada lettering, which is larger, actually does the job better, as one can see from the above photos.

deltajet757

Wed May 02, 2007 11:18 am

Yes the typeface looks a lot like that of Delta Faucet.

Well, the new DL livery isn't as bad as I thought it was going to be but I must say it's a bit dull looking. I wish the widget wasn't tilted. It should be straight like the original widget livery. One of the better aspects of this new livery is that it looks pretty clean and business-like just like CO's livery. Even though Co hasn't had a livery change in years it still looks good to this day.

-DeltaJet757
FLY DELTA JETS

OGGFBORefueler

Wed May 02, 2007 11:19 am

Sorry...See reply #26

Aloha!
Keone

[Edited 2007-05-02 04:29:52]
BPA Emp#0254/AOA Badge#69879

OGGFBORefueler

Wed May 02, 2007 11:28 am

Quoting KELPkid (Reply 16):

rotfl 
BPA Emp#0254/AOA Badge#69879

ContinentalEWR

Wed May 02, 2007 11:54 am

The new Delta livery is uninspiring, lacking in creativity, and is bland (a basic white fuselage). That said, of all of Delta's liveries since the 1997 do over, this is probably the best one yet. The problem is Delta. It's not a very easy brand to market. The word Delta has no connotation with aviation, international travel, or long haul.

The livery is crisp and clean and that's good for Delta.

lincoln

Wed May 02, 2007 12:42 pm

Quoting SBN580 (Reply 14):
I think as long as what, a 15% difference can be distinguished, there is no copyright infraction

Two clarifications
1) This would be a trademark and not a copyright issue
2) There's no rule about the amount of difference. It's if the allegedly infringing mark is "confusingly similar to" or there is a "substantial likelihood of confusion" with the registered mark it is a viloation of the trademark owner's rights regardless of the percentages similarity.

Since Delta (the faucet) and Delta (the airline) aren't in the same marketplace I can't imaging that this will be an issue -- after all:

1) Someone looking for the faucet isn't going to call the airline (or at least if they do, the airline will point them in the right direction) and vice versa [I wonder if Delta Air Lines has ever gotten that call?] -- the mark is not intended to deceive.

2) There's a certain amount of ovbiousness here -- there are only so many ways to represent the word "Delta" using standard fonts and all caps sans serif is one of them...and each has a graphical element attached to "DELTA". I don't think any corporate identity manager would allow the just the Delta text to be used without the Delta graphic...

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

MarkATL

Wed May 02, 2007 1:15 pm

I don't see the big deal here. It's basic block letters. We're not talking about something like the Coca Cola or Ford scripts.
"...left my home in Georgia, 'n headed for the "Frisco" Bay...

rj777

Wed May 02, 2007 1:34 pm

Unless they use Delta Faucets in the Lavatories!!!!!!!!!  banghead 

concentriq

Wed May 02, 2007 2:11 pm

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 4):
I found it. Here's an article on it and the dealings they went through to get the domain name. Doesn't make Delta look too good but then what do you expect when you get the big company lawyers involved. It Delta Air Lines, DeltaComm, and Delta Financial.

reminds me of www.nissan.com , except this guy doesnt want to sell it.
Mobilis In Mobili

WesternDC1010

Wed May 02, 2007 2:33 pm

I think the new overall scheme and updated tail widget looks good and it's a tad bit refreshing. But the new typeset lettering ' D E L T A' looks too sterile and very close to Delta Faucets. This is what makes it disappointing.

I feel that they should have kept the current 'Delta' typeset. I just flows better. Maybe even add back in 'Air Lines.'

Just my $0.02 deposit.

[r][o][n]
Western DC-10-10
Western Airlines - The Only Way To Fly

reltney

Wed May 02, 2007 3:50 pm

Ok OK you youngsters... I hate the new delta paint because it looke like EVERYONE else with the white fuse with a splash of livery on the tail.... The citgo people and the delta faucet folks need to realize the lettering was used in the late 20s and the widget was from 1959 way before the citgo people could think of a widget.. relax and have a drink.. I hate the new "just like everyone else livery" but it is just paint...Thak the dramatics down a notch... 767DLpyLoT
I am a pilot, therefore I envy no one...

Avatordon

Wed May 02, 2007 7:25 pm

Has anyone taken a gander of the "FLY DELTA JETS" sign at the TOC in ATL? The font looks more like DL has gone back to their roots, which begs the question whom is copying whom?

lvhgel

Wed May 02, 2007 10:33 pm

Rather a dull painted plane flying than a "interesting" paint scheme on a plane waiting to be liquidated.

deltagator

Wed May 02, 2007 10:42 pm

Quoting LVHGEL (Reply 35):
on a plane waiting to be liquidated.

Apparently you didn't get the memo that they came out of bankruptcy the other day.  Wink We can send you another one...just go out to Vieques and we'll be sure to drop one off for you.  Wink

cloudyapple

Wed May 02, 2007 10:57 pm

he typeface that DL uses for spelling DELTA is flat-out identical to the one that the Delta Faucet

They are both Sans Serif but I do not see any noticeable similarities between the 2 type faces.

Big version: Width: 205 Height: 41 File size: 6kb
Big version: Width: 157 Height: 41 File size: 7kb

I suggest you study some typography before you make such comments. Here is some typography for dummies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typography
A310/A319/20/21/A332/3/A343/6/A388/B732/5/7/8/B742/S/4/B752/B763/B772/3/W/E145/J41/MD11/83/90

rb211

Wed May 02, 2007 11:08 pm

I seriously think the font is what's wrong with the new livery to me. As I stated in another forum, I'm still loyal to....
Big version: Width: 512 Height: 334 File size: 29kb
Airline photography. Whether they're fully clothed, butt naked, having issues or confused I'm taking pictures!!

747Skyliner

Thu May 03, 2007 2:24 am

I don't HATE this but I am far from impressed. After the hoopla and fanfare I would have expected something far more exciting than yet another nondescript Eurowhite freighter. Another example of too many cooks in the kitchen, as every new management regime feels the need to mark their turf, using the fleet as their personal fire hydrant. Three schemes in 8 yrs? Would seem with so many hard working, dedicated DAL employees making consessions, taking furloughs, or just getting canned, there could have been a lot better use of resources. I don't think the majority of pax are really loking at the paint scheme before booking their $99 super-saver. Maybe I'm nostalgic but I thought they should have never fixed what wasn't broke back in '99...

Jerald01

Thu May 03, 2007 2:51 am

Wow!

What??? You guys didn't get the memo? The one that announced Delta Faucets had bought out Delta Airlines as part of the latter's getting out of bankruptcy?

C'mon, it was a steal of a deal! Delta (Faucets) gets to use Delta (Airlines) to ship all their Delta faucets everywhere Delta Airlines goes... and for nothing! Zip! Nada! Zilch!

Now, let the " Moen-in' " begin....
"There may be old pilots, and there may be bold pilots, but there are darn few green cows"

nelsonde

Thu May 03, 2007 3:57 am

I want you to design an airline around this faucet...
Fly PGV! Fly PGV! Fly PGV! Fly PGV! Fly PGV! Fly PGV! Fly PGV!

JayDavis

Thu May 03, 2007 4:07 am

No matter if the font is the same or different, this new logo and branding of the "new" Delta stinks to high-heaven in my opinion. That logo looks like something from the 50's or 60's.

Who was the idiot that approved it? They must have been on crack-cocaine or something else, truly a horrible scheme. And Delta actually paid somebody to design this junk??? What a waste of $$$.

lvhgel

Thu May 03, 2007 9:06 am

Quoting Cloudyapple (Reply 37):
Apparently you didn't get the memo that they came out of bankruptcy the other day. We can send you another one...just go out to Vieques and we'll be sure to drop one off for you

Actually I got the info from various sources, and you are right a memo was not one of the sources. But what
I meant was that if expenses can be optimized and coming out from BR lean and healthy for the good of their employees, shareholders and customers, I'd rather have a dull Delta plane flying and making a profit, than the other way around. And regarding your comment on Vieques, excuse my ignorance, but i don't get it.

cloudyapple

Thu May 03, 2007 9:38 pm

Quoting LVHGEL (Reply 43):
Quoting Cloudyapple (Reply 37):Apparently you didn't get the memo that they came out of bankruptcy the other day. We can send you another one...just go out to Vieques and we'll be sure to drop one off for you

Hey I didnt say any of that. Quote the correct poster please.
A310/A319/20/21/A332/3/A343/6/A388/B732/5/7/8/B742/S/4/B752/B763/B772/3/W/E145/J41/MD11/83/90

lvhgel

Thu May 03, 2007 10:07 pm

Mr. Cluodyapple

I am sorry I meant to quote the following user/post (i am used to menues under the post)

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 36):
Apparently you didn't get the memo that they came out of bankruptcy the other day. We can send you another one...just go out to Vieques and we'll be sure to drop one off for you.

my answer to the above quote is

Quoting LVHGEL (Reply 43):
Actually I got the info from various sources, and you are right a memo was not one of the sources. But what
I meant was that if expenses can be optimized and coming out from BR lean and healthy for the good of their employees, shareholders and customers, I'd rather have a dull Delta plane flying and making a profit, than the other way around. And regarding your comment on Vieques, excuse my ignorance, but i don't get it.

SuseJ772

Sat May 05, 2007 6:46 am

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 28):
There's no rule about the amount of difference. It's if the allegedly infringing mark is "confusingly similar to" or there is a "substantial likelihood of confusion" with the registered mark it is a viloation of the trademark owner's rights regardless of the percentages similarity.

This is actually even harder to prove in the case of font-types (Case in point http://www.ms-studio.com/articles.html.
Currently at PIE, requesting FWA >> >>

wjcandee

Sat May 05, 2007 1:55 pm

Quoting SuseJ772 (Reply 46):
This is actually even harder to prove in the case of font-types

Interesting point, except that' the cited article is about protecting the font itself, rather than the mark that's made with the font. Still interesting, though.

I think that where you have two identical names drawn in almost-identical fonts, you have a potential problem if there is a reasonable chance of consumer confusion. And the issue is consumer confusion as to *source* of the product. Hence, while guns and butter may be two entirely different products, you know that Kraft would be pissed if you had a Kraft 9mm handgun marketed using the same typeface as theirs, precisely because of the potential damage to their reputation arising from consumer confusion over source. And Donald Trump would also likely sue if I came out with Trump champagne (or, for that matter, handgun), using a similar typeface to his logo, because the man already markets a plethora of products and services under his name. He would claim that consumers would be confused as to source. And he'd be right. If Delta Faucets came out with a logo closer to the widget and used the airline's typeface, and used the motto, "the highflying faucet" or "good comes out when the knob goes around", they'd get sued tomorrow.

So while I think the likelihood of Delta Faucets suing Delta Air Lines over the font is unlikely, the idea of infringement based on consumer confusion isn't as insane as it initially might seem, when you understand that the issue of confusion is as to source. One other point: it's a flexible standard, based upon what consumers are used to seeing. So, in Florida where everything under the Sun is named "Sun", it is presumed that Sun Pharmacy doesn't infringe Sun Bank, because most people won't be likely to think that they're owned by the same company. Indeed, there was a case where Sun Bank, I think, was found not to infringe Sun Trust (or some such), which was also a bank, because small differences in name were held to make a big difference in a consumer's mind when the mark is a weak and ubiquitous one like "Sun", at least when used in Florida.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos