Silverstreak
Topic Author

Whose 747SP Was That?

Tue Aug 01, 2000 8:37 pm

I live in San Francisco, Ca. on Nob Hill. Last Friday or Saturday, I was looking out my back door to look up to see the usual Lufthansa flight to Frankfurt. I can always tell if it is a A340 or a 747-400. Well not only did I see the Lufthansa flight, but a 747SP as well. Unfortunately, I don't have the great vistas my upstairs neighbors have, so the markings of the plane where at only a glimpse. This 747SP was also at a very low altitude and flew over the Bay at a flight path rarely allowed to airliners that low(over the Bay and over the Golden Gate Bridge). I thought the markings looked like those of the South African charter company whose name I have forgotten. There is the head of a lion on the tail. The last time I saw an airliner fly that flight path was the inaugural flight of Virgin into SFO. Does anyone have any info about this airplane?

RE: Whose 747SP Was That?

Tue Aug 01, 2000 8:48 pm

Don't have any ideas for you, but I can tell you that it couldn't have been the South African SP of Alliance Air (reg. ZS-SPA) - that aircraft was returned to SAA at the beginning of last year and has been repainted in the new SAA colours for at least a year now.

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Ian Moy

When it was still in Alliance colours:

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © David Unsworth

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos