Silverstreak
Topic Author

Whose 747SP Was That?

Tue Aug 01, 2000 8:37 pm

I live in San Francisco, Ca. on Nob Hill. Last Friday or Saturday, I was looking out my back door to look up to see the usual Lufthansa flight to Frankfurt. I can always tell if it is a A340 or a 747-400. Well not only did I see the Lufthansa flight, but a 747SP as well. Unfortunately, I don't have the great vistas my upstairs neighbors have, so the markings of the plane where at only a glimpse. This 747SP was also at a very low altitude and flew over the Bay at a flight path rarely allowed to airliners that low(over the Bay and over the Golden Gate Bridge). I thought the markings looked like those of the South African charter company whose name I have forgotten. There is the head of a lion on the tail. The last time I saw an airliner fly that flight path was the inaugural flight of Virgin into SFO. Does anyone have any info about this airplane?

RE: Whose 747SP Was That?

Tue Aug 01, 2000 8:48 pm

Don't have any ideas for you, but I can tell you that it couldn't have been the South African SP of Alliance Air (reg. ZS-SPA) - that aircraft was returned to SAA at the beginning of last year and has been repainted in the new SAA colours for at least a year now.

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Ian Moy

When it was still in Alliance colours:

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © David Unsworth