Cactus742
Topic Author

Any Improvements Possible With DCA Terminal A

Thu May 03, 2007 5:29 am

I understand the restrictions on building at DCA given the multiple issues that it faces between airspace, noise, buildings, etc. I also know that Terminal A is historic and relatively beautiful. What I don't understand is whether or not MWAA can do anything to the airside area of A. I do not believe it is original, as the gate area seems to be from the 1960s or so. Does anyone know more about Terminal A? Can MWAA tear down the A gates and rebuild those while leaving the historic parts of the terminal in tact? If so, why don't they? An A terminal that more closely resembled B/C would be fantastic. Thinking about retrieving luggage from A gives me nightmares.

Thanks,
Alex
Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.

pilotfox

Any Improvements Possible With DCA Terminal A

Thu May 03, 2007 5:46 am

Yeah, terminal A is quite interesting. Just one big bottleneck. You have the people checking in and those collecting their bags.

masseybrown

RE: Any Improvements Possible With DCA Terminal A

Thu May 03, 2007 12:43 pm

CO's Presidents Club is in the westernmost part of the original terminal. It's a bit austere for modern tastes but it has lots of interesting "Streamline Modern" details, recalling the atmosphere of the 1930's and 40's.

ANCFlyer

Thu May 03, 2007 2:07 pm

Quoting MasseyBrown (Reply 2):
CO's Presidents Club is in the westernmost part of the original terminal. It's a bit austere for modern tastes but it has lots of interesting "Streamline Modern" details, recalling the atmosphere of the 1930's and 40's.

It is in the former "formal dining room" at DCA. Very nice facility. Austere yes. But retains the Art Deco glory of the previous tenant.

There is a thread in here on DCA Terminal "A" that was done a while back . . . same topic:
RE: DCA Future Projects? (by ANCFlyer Apr 12 2007 in Civil Aviation)
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

Cactus742
Topic Author

Thu May 03, 2007 2:37 pm

The topic was brought up but not answered. I was hoping someone would have some insight into the differences between "Historic A" and the section of Terminal A where the gates are. It was discussed in a 2005 thread that said something about A being demolished after Historic A's renovation was complete and operational again. As far as I know though, Historic A still does not have any airlines that use it (Continental does not count since passengers must clear security through B) and obviously the "A" rotunda still stands.

Here's the link to the 2005 thread: NW Terminal At DCA (by ETStar Apr 19 2005 in Civil Aviation)

Thanks again.
Alex
Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos