jimyvr

Alaska's "Proudly All Boeing" Title

Fri May 04, 2007 2:24 am

Noticed this title has been applied on some 737s when I was waiting for boarding in YVR....

So no Airbuses on the horizon at least for now and the near-term future?
1000 - 01MAR07 | http://airlineroute.blogspot.com/

eatmybologna

RE: Alaska's "Proudly All Boeing" Title

Fri May 04, 2007 2:38 am

I wonder if this is something Boeing took it upon themselves in doing. I can't imagine what Alaskan Airlines would gain by displaying this.

Eat-
Isn't knowledge more than just the acquisition of information? Shouldn't the acquired information be correct?

KaiGywer
Crew

Fri May 04, 2007 2:45 am

Quoting Eatmybologna (Reply 1):
I wonder if this is something Boeing took it upon themselves in doing. I can't imagine what Alaskan Airlines would gain by displaying this.

Better prices from Boeing
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

as739x

Fri May 04, 2007 2:53 am

Quoting Jimyvr (Thread starter):

No Airbus's in our future!

No this was Alaska who did this. ALL aircraft have this painted on it, including -400 (like in the picture) which obviously our not new to the fleet.

ASSFO
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

malaysia

Fri May 04, 2007 2:57 am

American Pride can be displayed as well
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

Jpax

Fri May 04, 2007 3:00 am

I can't imagine what Alaskan Airlines would gain by displaying this.

Pride in that they are flying the best aircraft for their needs that money can buy?

propilotjw

Fri May 04, 2007 3:00 am

Seattle based based airline supporting the airplanes built right down the street. Good for them! Be proud of what you fly

yowza

Fri May 04, 2007 3:02 am

If they are so proud to be all Boeing maybe they should have used titles that don't require a telescopic lens to be seen. With print that small the rampers are pretty much the only ones who are going to be able to read that.  Yeah sure

YOWza

jimyvr

Fri May 04, 2007 3:03 am

Quoting AS739X (Reply 3):
ALL aircraft have this painted on it, including -400 (like in the picture) which obviously our not new to the fleet.

Actually not all of them because I saw some 737s didn't have that title displayed when I was at LAX.
1000 - 01MAR07 | http://airlineroute.blogspot.com/

philb

Fri May 04, 2007 3:03 am

Doesn't make sense. Can't refer to the fleet as they still have 22 MD-83s - and they certainly weren't built by Boeing, though marketing departments can put a spin on anything.

Can't refer to the 737 either as though Boeing designed and assembled the aircraft, a great deal less than 50% of the whole is made by Boeing and many of the parts come from a vast range of companies from around the world, some of the bits not being exclusive to Boeing!

N1120A

Fri May 04, 2007 3:07 am

Quoting Philb (Reply 9):
. Can't refer to the fleet as they still have 22 MD-83s - and they certainly weren't built by Boeing, though marketing departments can put a spin on anything.

McDonnell Douglas is part of Boeing and has been for a decade now. They have every right to call that a Boeing aircraft.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

PacNWjet

Fri May 04, 2007 3:08 am

Quoting PropilotJW (Reply 6):
Seattle based based airline supporting the airplanes built right down the street. Good for them! Be proud of what you fly

PropilotJW has it right. Alaska is headquartered in Seattle (not in Alaska  innocent  ) and although Boeing's headquarters are now in Chicago it remains Seattle's hometown aircraft manufacturer. Seems almost natural that Alaska would be proud of its close connection to its local business partner.

Jpax

Fri May 04, 2007 3:09 am

Quoting Philb (Reply 9):
Can't refer to the 737 either as though Boeing designed and assembled the aircraft, a great deal less than 50% of the whole is made by Boeing and many of the parts come from a vast range of companies from around the world, some of the bits not being exclusive to Boeing!

Oh please!  redflag  That is one of the most asinine statements on this website. Basically you're saying that it isn't a "Boeing 737", it is just a "737" or not the "Airbus A380" but just the "380".

What a corrupt thought process.

707lvr

Fri May 04, 2007 3:18 am

Seattle is a provincial town in many ways, like it or not, and Boeing/Alaska are still a couple of local boys, regardless of the myriad of technicalities one might look for to minimize that for some reason.

cirrusdriver

Fri May 04, 2007 3:25 am

Quoting Philb (Reply 9):

A little bitter, are we? What, you wanted it to say :

"Proudly all Boeing/Aero-Plastics/Exotic Metals Forming Company/Korean Air Lines Aerospace Division/Pechiney Rolled Products/Vibro-Meter SA/Yokahama Rubber Company/BFGoodrich Aerospace Aerostructures Group /Bumstead Manufacturing/DME Corporation /Envirovac/Hamilton Sundstrand, a United Technologies Company /Koito Industries/Hitco Carbon Composites /Fischer Advanced Composite Components AG /Moog, Inc/Onamac Industries/Pegasus Northwest, Inc/Toray Composites (America), Inc/Walden's Machine, Inc/ETC.ETC.ETC?" on the nose?

Come on now!

philb

Fri May 04, 2007 3:33 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 10):
McDonnell Douglas is part of Boeing and has been for a decade now. They have every right to call that a Boeing aircraft.

The MD-83s were built by Mc Donnell Douglas and are certificated by the FAA as McDonnell Douglas airframes.

Boeing took over the manufacturer but that doesn't make the aircraft built before the take over Boeing.

Quoting Jpax (Reply 12):
That is one of the most asinine statements on this website. Basically you're saying that it isn't a "Boeing 737", it is just a "737" or not the "Airbus A380" but just the "380".

What a corrupt thought process.

Nice of a school kid to be so rude to someone 3 times his age. No aircraft is 100% anything so the "proudly all Boeing" title does not stand up. If you knew anything about use of English the word "all" is specific. If the sticker said "Proudly Boeing" it wouuld make sense.as that is the manufacturer. When the radios fail they won't go back to Boeing, they'll go to Collins, Bendix or whoever. When the windshield fails it won't be Boeing who provides the new one. The galleys din't come from Boeing and may not even have been fiitted there. That, and thousands of other examples of parts, is why the word "all" is incorrect.

So before getting on your kiddy high horse and blowing raspberries, get to know a little about the language you are supposed to have learnt as your mother tongue.

legoguy

Fri May 04, 2007 3:37 am

Quoting Philb (Reply 9):

Perhaps a little crazy.

The titles are tiny as YOWza pointed out. They should have made the titles larger. Seems pointless when so few people can actually read whats written. But good for them that they're confident they have the best aircraft.
Can you say 'Beer Can' without sounding like a Jamaican saying 'Bacon'?

columba

Fri May 04, 2007 3:43 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 10):

Still I can not stand it if somebody refers to an aircraft as Boeing MD 80 or Boeing MD 11. It just does not sound right for me. An aircraft designed and build by McDonnel Douglas will never be a Boeing for me.
It will forever be a McDonnell Douglas MD 80 , Boeing MD 80 sounds so wrong

Newark777

Fri May 04, 2007 3:44 am

Quoting Philb (Reply 15):
No aircraft is 100% anything so the "proudly all Boeing" title does not stand up.

You are over analyzing a silly little sticker on the side of the plane. It seems some people open their mouths just to make arguments.

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

N328KF

Fri May 04, 2007 3:44 am

Quoting Columba (Reply 17):
Still I can not stand it if somebody refers to an aircraft as Boeing MD 80 or Boeing MD 11. It just does not sound right for me. An aircraft designed and build by McDonnel Douglas will never be a Boeing for me.

So how do you feel about the Hughes AH-64A Apache?
When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'Present' or 'Not guilty.' -Theodore Roosevelt

SEPilot

Fri May 04, 2007 3:49 am

Boeing took over the manufacturer but that doesn't make the aircraft built before the take over Boeing.

But legally when Boeing bought MD they also bought the MD-83 type certificate, so as far as the FAA is concerned it is now a Boeing aircraft, as is the DC-3 and every other McDonnel or Douglas aircraft ever built. The FAA is concerned with who is legally responsible for the aircraft today, not when it was built. Any issues with it need to be addressed by the current type-certificate holder.
The problem with making things foolproof is that fools are so doggone ingenious...Dan Keebler

flight152

Fri May 04, 2007 3:56 am

No aircraft is 100% anything so the "proudly all Boeing" title does not stand up.

That is probably one of the most ridiculous comments I have read on this website after 6 years; excellent job.

philb

Fri May 04, 2007 4:01 am

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 18):
You are over analyzing a silly little sticker on the side of the plane. It seems some people open their mouths just to make arguments.

Like you.

I'm not over analysing anything. I'm being accurate with my mother tongue, English, in which I have a third level honours qualification.

philb

Fri May 04, 2007 4:02 am

Quoting CirrusDriver (Reply 14):
A little bitter, are we? What, you wanted it to say :

No just accurate - something a good number of people care little about today. As I said Proudly Boeing would be fine, Proudly all Boeing isn't.

EA CO AS

Fri May 04, 2007 4:03 am

Yes it does. You're just thinking of it the wrong way - and I'm not sure if it's your way of just stirring the pot or not.

The "Proudly All Boeing" titles refer to the fact that Alaska's FLEET does (or 'will' depending on whether or not you want to be a stickler about the MD80s, which are gone by 12/08 anyway) consist only of Boeing aircraft.

I think you're intelligent enough to know that the "all" refers to the fleet itself and not the components of each aircraft.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

ulfinator

Fri May 04, 2007 4:03 am

I know how you feel. But to be fair in from 1998 (Post perger) Boeing built and delivered, 26 MD-11s, 34 MD-80s, and 52 MD-90s. In fact if you look at the Boeing built MD-80s in AA's fleet they have Boeing serial number plates on the door frames.

philb

Fri May 04, 2007 4:06 am

Quoting SEPilot (Reply 20):
But legally when Boeing bought MD they also bought the MD-83 type certificate, so as far as the FAA is concerned it is now a Boeing aircraft, as is the DC-3 and every other McDonnel or Douglas aircraft ever built. The FAA is concerned with who is legally responsible for the aircraft today, not when it was built. Any issues with it need to be addressed by the current type-certificate holder.

WRONG

Go to :
http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNum_inquiry.asp
Type in any Douglas built aircraft tail number and see the manufacturer as registered and certificated by the FAA.

philb

Fri May 04, 2007 4:07 am

Quoting Flight152 (Reply 21):
That is probably one of the most ridiculous comments I have read on this website after 6 years; excellent job.

I just hope you aren't majoring in English

philb

Fri May 04, 2007 4:09 am

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 24):
Yes it does. You're just thinking of it the wrong way - and I'm not sure if it's your way of just stirring the pot or not.

No I'm not - I'm applying logic to a claim that is currently false which ever way you look at it.

I think you're intelligent enough to know that the "all" refers to the fleet itself and not the components of each aircraft

If it does refer to the fleet it is currently inaccurate.

legoguy

Fri May 04, 2007 4:10 am

Quoting Ulfinator (Reply 25):
I know how you feel. But to be fair in from 1998 (Post perger) Boeing built and delivered, 26 MD-11s, 34 MD-80s, and 52 MD-90s. In fact if you look at the Boeing built MD-80s in AA's fleet they have Boeing serial number plates on the door frames.

Just to add to this, the aircraft are still known as McDonnell Douglas MD-80's... not Boeing MD80's. But as mentioned, Boeing bought McDonnell Douglas etc etc so the little sticker is still correct. But yes, I agree with Columba... For me an MD80 will always be McDonnell Douglas, not Boeing.

philb

Fri May 04, 2007 4:12 am

Amazing how people here, especially those under 35 and from the US , are happy to accept a terminological inexactitude.

Language is a means of communication. When used accurately there can be no misunderstanding. Inaccurate use, as in this instance leads to confusion.

Who here can say, and prove, exactly what the sticker means?

Newark777

Fri May 04, 2007 4:13 am

Quoting Philb (Reply 22):
Like you.

Good comeback.  Yeah sure

Quoting Philb (Reply 23):
As I said Proudly Boeing would be fine, Proudly all Boeing isn't.

As EA CO AS, said, the 'all' refers to the fleet, not the components.

Harry

ptugarin

Fri May 04, 2007 4:15 am

Also, you can�t call all those Dash-8 flown by Horizon Air, Boeing  Smile

terryb99

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 18):

Quoting Flight152 (Reply 21):

checkmark   checkmark   checkmark 

Newark777

Quoting Philb (Reply 30):
Amazing how people here, especially those under 35 and from the US , are happy to accept a terminological inexactitude.

Amazing how a retired old Irishman is the only one who seems to be confused over the sticker.

Harry

columba

Fri May 04, 2007 4:16 am

Quoting N328KF (Reply 19):
So how do you feel about the Hughes AH-64A Apache?

Actually I have no feelings at all about that.
You know with military aircraft and the designations AH, KC, F, B or whatever it does not bother me at all how an aircraft is named but Boeing MD80;90,11 just sound wrong for me.
It will forever be a McDonnell Douglas MD 80 , Boeing MD 80 sounds so wrong

antoniemey

Fri May 04, 2007 4:18 am

Quoting Philb (Reply 22):
I'm not over analysing anything. I'm being accurate with my mother tongue, English, in which I have a third level honours qualification.

Quoting Philb (Reply 23):
As I said Proudly Boeing would be fine, Proudly all Boeing isn't.

Except that "Proudly Boeing" would indicate that they are the Boeing Corporation, which is even more incorrect than the way you're claiming the "Proudly All Boeing" is.

Quoting Philb (Reply 28):
No I'm not - I'm applying logic to a claim that is currently false which ever way you look at it.

The problem with logic, to paraphrase Leonard Nimoy, is that you can use logic in some form to back up ANYTHING.

Quoting Legoguy (Reply 29):
Just to add to this, the aircraft are still known as McDonnell Douglas MD-80's... not Boeing MD80's.

Some places you look they list it as "Boeing McDonnell Douglas" too.

And Mister PhilB...

What Alaska is saying, which is clear to anyone who is not being intentionally obtuse, is that every aircraft they fly is made or supported by Boeing Commercial Aircraft...

So which looks better on the side of the plane? "Proudly flying planes that are all assembled or supported by Boeing" or "Proudly All Boeing"

Get off the English Major kick, what's on the side of the aircraft is perfectly acceptable in correct English.
Make something Idiot-proof, and the Universe will make a more inept idiot.

Stitch

Fri May 04, 2007 4:19 am

Well look at it this way, all the MD-8x's are going away, to be replaced by 737-800's. So semantics aside, AS' fleet will eventually be composed solely of members of the 737 family.

philb

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 34):
Amazing how a retired old Irishman is the only one who seems to be confused over the sticker.

You can't even get that right. I'm a Brit, nearly 60 isn't old and I'm not in the least confused - just being accurate.

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 31):
As EA CO AS, said, the 'all' refers to the fleet, not the components.

Still inaccurate.

BrianDromey

Personally, I think it is a nice thing for Alaska to put on their fleet. Its a little bit out of the ordinary and it is a demonstration of the pride that some people have in their airline. (A bit like keep Delta My Delta - in spirit at least).

To my mind the MD-80 is not a Boeing airframe. But, I guess Boeing do have the right to call an MD-80 a boeing if they so wish. TWA was taken over by AA that brand disappeard too. Should all AA STL still be thought of as TWA flights, and marketed as such? At least Boeing had the good manners to keep the MDD logo.

Philb, I think you are smart enough to realis that AS were speaking of the aircraft as a unit. In the supermarket very litttle of what you buy comes from a single source...

Own brand milk....."Milked by Joe Bloggs, delivered to XYZ Creamery, processed and pasturised by operator A.N Other, driven to teh supermarket by...." and so on.

Come on. Lets take this in the spirit it wa intended, even if the english is not to everyones complete satisfaction.

Brian.
Next flights: MAN-ORK-LHR(EI)-MAN(BD); MAN-LHR(BD)-ORK (EI); DUB-ZRH-LAX (LX) LAX-YYZ (AC) YYZ-YHZ-LHR(AC)-DUB(BD)

khobar

Fri May 04, 2007 4:21 am

Quoting Legoguy (Reply 29):
Just to add to this, the aircraft are still known as McDonnell Douglas MD-80's... not Boeing MD80's

Really? From the Boeing website:

"The Boeing MD-80, a quiet, fuel-efficient twinjet, was certified by the Federal Aviation Administration in August 1980 and entered airline service in October 1980. Its Pratt & Whitney JT8D-200 engines, combined with its efficient aerodynamic design, allow the MD-80 to meet all current noise regulations while producing operating costs among the lowest in commercial aviation."

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/md-80-90/index.html

zeke

Fri May 04, 2007 4:22 am

The "Proudly All Boeing" titles refer to the fact that Alaska's FLEET does (or 'will' depending on whether or not you want to be a stickler about the MD80s, which are gone by 12/08 anyway) consist only of Boeing aircraft.

I think they would distance themselves as quick as possible from calling a MD-80 a Boeing if they had another accident like Alaska Airlines Flight 261. Going back in history, they would have written off 10 "Boeings'"....if you were to include all the Boeing, MD, and Douglas aircraft written off.

It can be a positive brand association, but can be a negative as well.
We are addicted to our thoughts. We cannot change anything if we cannot change our thinking – Santosh Kalwar

SEPilot

Fri May 04, 2007 4:23 am

Quoting Philb (Reply 26):
Type in any Douglas built aircraft tail number and see the manufacturer as registered and certificated by the FAA.

But if there is an issue with a Douglas-built plane who does the FAA go to? Granted, I agree that a MD build MD-83 is more properly called an MD aircraft, but I am not going to call someone who wants to call it a Boeing aircraft wrong because Boeing has taken the legal responsibility for supporting that aircraft.
The problem with making things foolproof is that fools are so doggone ingenious...Dan Keebler

Newark777

Fri May 04, 2007 4:23 am

Quoting Ptugarin (Reply 32):
Also, you can�t call all those Dash-8 flown by Horizon Air, Boeing

Not the same airline, though.

Quoting Philb (Reply 38):
You can't even get that right. I'm a Brit, nearly 60 isn't old and I'm not in the least confused - just being accurate.

It's certainly not young...

Still inaccurate.

It's a simple marketing tool stamped to the sides of the planes. Simple as that. Since you seem to be the only one that has a huge problem with it, why don't you write them and give them a piece of your mind. I'm sure they'll change the planes right away.  rotfl 

Harry

Stitch

Fri May 04, 2007 4:25 am

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 39):
Come on. Lets take this in the spirit it was intended, even if the English is not to everyone's complete satisfaction.

checkmark 

philb

Fri May 04, 2007 4:26 am

Quoting Antoniemey (Reply 36):
Except that "Proudly Boeing" would indicate that they are the Boeing Corporation, which is even more incorrect than the way you're claiming the "Proudly All Boeing" is.

If you really want to nit pick you've got the degree of "Boeingness" the wrong way round. Proudly all Boeing can, in the context you are using, be reasonably taken to mean that the aircraft and airline is all to do with Boeing. Proudly Boeing would be less so.

And Mister PhilB...

Get off the English Major kick, what's on the side of the aircraft is perfectly acceptable in correct English.

I will son, as soon as you go back to stacking shelves and clearing out the store room.

legoguy

Fri May 04, 2007 4:26 am

Quoting Khobar (Reply 40):
Really? From the Boeing website:

Obviously as its from the Boeing website. On most aviation websites, such as the one your are posting on now, the series is refered to as the McDonnell Douglas MD-## series.

Boeing have the right to call it the Boeing MD series, however in the hearts of most aviation euthusiasts (except die hard boeing fans...) it will ALWAYS be the McDonnell Douglas series, being designed, and mostly built by McDonnell Douglas.

XT6Wagon

Fri May 04, 2007 4:28 am

The Douglas history is Boeing history now. IN REAL LEGAL TERMS. If there is a defect in the design of a MD-80 or any other plane made by MD, Boeing is now the legally responsible party. Doesn't matter that at the time that aircraft was designed and built that the two companies had nothing to do with each other, since the merger Boeing now owns MD in whole. That means EVERYTHING, good or bad. Now if Boeing just bought out the assets of MD instead, then technically they wouldn't be liable for any past MD mistakes, or be able to take credit for past MD successes.

khobar

Fri May 04, 2007 4:30 am

Quoting Legoguy (Reply 46):
Obviously as its from the Boeing website. On most aviation websites, such as the one your are posting on now, the series is refered to as the McDonnell Douglas MD-## series.

Completely irrelevant, I'm afraid. The manufacturer in question has demonstrated ownership of the name, and what we post on "aviation websites" doesn't matter to the English language.

Alaska Airlines is accurate in claiming "Proudly All Boeing."

philb

Fri May 04, 2007 4:34 am

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 43):
It's certainly not young...

One day you'll grow up - then you'll get old. On the way you might just learn something about the importance of accuracy and also manners

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 34):

especially when dealing with someone with a lifetime's experience in marketing and aviation.