thaia345

Thailand Aviation Thread 1

Fri May 04, 2007 2:47 pm

Hi Guys,

I am definitely far from being an expert on aviation in Thailand. But as I am such a frequent flyer with TG, I hope this thread will give insights and inputs to all that are interested in avaition in Thailand.

What we know from from Thailand are:

Main Airlines:

1) Thai Airways International

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © JKSC

2) Bangkok Airways

View Large View Medium

Photo © Islam Chen

3) Orient Thai / One-Two-Go

View Large View Medium

Photo © Giovanni Verbeeck

4) Nok Air

View Large View Medium

Photo © Jerome Zbinden

5) Thai Air Asia

View Large View Medium

Photo © K.H. Ng - HKAEC

6) Thai Sky Airlines

View Large View Medium

Photo © JKSC

7) PB Air

View Large View Medium

Photo © Karl-Heinz Morawietz

September last year saw the much awaited move from Don Muang to Sunavarbhumi. The new airport was plaqued by many problems up till today (although I personally don't find any major issues with the new airport except for the long distances from one end to another). Colusures of some piers and taxiways due to cracks on the tarmac eventually led to DOn Muang being re-opened for domestic flight on 20 March this year.

Thai Airways International

TG Fleet (as at 04/2007):

18 B744
2 B743
6 B773
8 B772
4 B772er
4 A345
5 A346
12 A333
6 B734
20 A300-600R

NB: Aircraft tranfered to Nok Air has been excluded from the above

Other recent news regarding TG are:

1. Postponed Delivery of THAI’s A380-800 Aircraft

THAI’s Board of Directors approved of the postponement of the company’s 6 Airbus A380-800 aircraft, with delayed delivery from Airbus S.A.S. by approximately 21 months. The postponed delivery was taken under careful consideration following a total of 9 meetings held by the company’s Executive Committee and Board of Directors. It was concluded that it remained necessary for the company to use the Airbus A380-800 along-range aircraft type with a seat capacity of 519 seats, in order to increase its productivity on routes with high passenger traffic and restraints in increasing flight frequencies, such as London, Frankfurt, and Paris.

As a result, Airbus proposed compensation for losses and granted various perks beneficial to the company. The company’s first Airbus A380-800 will be delivered to THAI in September 2010.

2. New Aircraft to Replace Those to be Retired

THAI’s Board of Directors approved of the intent to purchase 8 new Airbus A330-300 aircraft, replacing 8 aircraft of the average age of 20 years that will be retired from the company’s fleet: 6 Airbus A300-600 aircraft and 2 Boeing 747-300 aircraft. THAI’s Board of Directors have considered and compared cost-effective operations. Upon consideration of the new aircrafts’ regional and operational performance, compared to the aircraft type that will be retired, it was concluded that the mid-range Airbus A330-300 was appropriate and most beneficial to the company. In addition, the company received a price reduction for Airbus A330-300 aircraft from Airbus S.A.S.

The first Airbus A330-300 aircraft will be delivered to the company in year 2008, with gradual delivery through until year 2010.

3. Sale of 2 Airbus A300-600 Aircraft

THAI’s Board of Directors approved of the sale of 2 Airbus A300-600 aircraft, whereby the first aircraft will be delivered in March 2007 and the second aircraft will be delivered in June 2007.

Accidents & Incidents:
April 27, 1980 – a Thai Airways Avro 748 enroute from Khon Kaen to Bangkok lost altitude during a thunderstorm and crashed about 8 miles from Don Mueang International Airport. All four crew members and 40 of the 49 passengers were killed. [5]
April 15, 1985 – a Thai Airways Boeing 737-200 hit high ground on Phuket and was destroyed by the impact and fire. All four passengers and seven crew members were killed. The accident occurred after a failure of both engines. [6]
August 31, 1987 – a Thai Airways Boeing 737-200 flying from Hat Yai to Phuket crashed into the sea off Phuket. All nine crew members and 74 passengers were killed [7]
July 31, 1992 – Thai Airways International Flight 311 an Airbus A310-304 hit the side of a hill 23 miles north of Kathmandu while descending towards Tribhuvan International Airport from Bangkok. All 113 on board (99 passengers and 14 crew) died. The accident was caused by technical faults (with flaps and a possible second unknown fault), pilot error and lack of equipment at TIA at the time (no radar). [8], [9]

Thai Airways Domestic Passenger ticket (2004)December 11, 1998 – Thai Airways Flight 261, another A310-200, bound for Surat Thani from Bangkok, during its third landing attempt in heavy rain, crashed into a rice paddy about 2 miles from Surat Thani airport; 102 of 143 aboard were killed. [10]
March 3, 2001 – a Thai Airways International Boeing 737-400, bound for Chiang Mai from Bangkok, was destroyed by an explosion and fire that occurred about 35 minutes before the Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra and about 150 other passengers were to board. Five members of the cabin crew were aboard, and one was killed. Witnesses said they heard an explosion before flames erupted aboard the aircraft. NTSB investigators reported that the center fuel tank exploded followed by the right tank 18 minutes later. The cause for the explosion was unclear. No traces of explosive were found. The center fuel tank is located near air conditioning packs which generate heat, and were running nonstop prior to the explosion.[11]
April 19, 2005 – a Singapore Airlines Boeing 777-200 stopped approximately 194 meters beyond a painted stop line at Don Mueang International Airport, and its left wing-tip was clipped by a Thai Airways International Airbus A330-300 taxiing for take-off. Both aircraft were severely damaged. There were no injuries.
October 26, 2005 – a Thai Airways International A300 skidded off the runway in heavy rain on landing at Don Mueang International Airport. There were no injuries.

Bangkok Airways:

Fleet:

8 ATR 42-500
4 B717-200
3 A320

Info regarding Bangkok Airways:

The origins of Bangkok Airways can be traced back to 1968 and a company known as Sahakol Air, which was initially set an air taxi service operating a Tradewind, a twin-engine, ten-seat aircraft during the Vietnam War. The assignments came from Overseas International Construction Company (OICC), an American construction company known as United States Operations Mission (USOM) and a number of other organizations engaged in oil and natural gas exploration in the Gulf of Thailand.
Today, Bangkok Airways flies to a total of 20 destinations in eight countries: Bangkok, Samui, Phuket, Sukhothai, Pattaya Beach (Utapao), Chiang Mai, Trat in Thailand. In Cambodia, we fly to Phnom Penh and Angkor Wat (Siem Reap). We also fly to Jinghong, Xi'an, Guilin, Hong Kong, Zhengzhou, Hangzhou, Shenzhenin in China, Luang Prabang in Laos, Yangon in Myanmar, Singapore and Hiroshima in Japan.
In choosing new destinations, Bangkok Airways invariably considers cities with rich cultures and historically important sites, which are not easily accessible to the everyday traveler. This underlines the airline's commitment to help local tourism industries develop their full potential and to promote the local heritage.
Our departure lounge at Bangkok Airport is equivalent to First Class or Business Lounges at other airports. The difference is our lounge (Domestic Terminal) is available to all our passengers.

Orient Thai:

Fleet:

2 747-100
4 747-300
1 757-200
4 MD-82

Orient Thai/One-Two-Go Airlines is Thailand’s first budget airlines. Uniquely distinguished as Asia’s only low-cost airlines to offer a one-price policy for all its fares to all destinations, One-Two-GO’s commitment to offering our passengers the simplest fares, with free snacks and softdrinks still served onboard and simple fare rules clearly makes us the easiest and most convenient choice for your air travel needs.

Nok Air:

Fleet:

6 B734
1 ATR 72-200

Info on Nok Air:

The airline was established in December 2003 and started operations on 23 July 2004. It is a join-partnership of more than 8 partners. The major shareholders are Thai Airways International (Thai: ¡ÒúԹä·Â), Siam Commercial Asset Co.,Ltd, The Crown Property Bureau, etc. Nok Air planes are leased from and maintain by Thai Airways International using the same standard of safety

Major Incidents:

On February 5, 2006 a Nok Air 737-400 made an emergency landing at Bangkok International Airport. Flight DD7506 took off at 1:48pm with 109 passengers on board, bound for Phuket. Ten minutes into the flight the pilot reported the right engine was malfunctioning and requested that he be allowed to return to the airport for emergency landing. On landing, the plane developed braking problems, the airline said, and it skidded off the end of the runway. Two passengers were injured. The aircraft involved, HS-TDD, was not one of Nok Air's colorfully painted "bird" planes, but a 737 in Thai Airways' livery without the Thai Airways titles and a "Operated by Nok Air" sticker.

A Boeing 737 en route Bangkok-Trang was forced to make an emergency landing at the Phuket International on May 6, 2006 after the crew reported a problem with one of its engines.

Thai Sky Airlines (Now Ceased Operations):

Plans for purchasing of aircraft and setting up of airport operations started in 2002 and the airline was officially established on January 30, 2004. The first flight to Hong Kong was launched on May 19, 2005. Flights to Kuala Lumpur were launched on May 21, 2005. It is a joint venture with Thai, Hong Kong and Taiwan interests, and was set up primarily to operate charter flights for tour groups travelling from Hong Kong to Thailand. The airline ceased operations in 2006.

Incidents and accidents
January 2, 2006 - Thai Sky flight 9I287 from Bangkok, blew a front tire on landing at Incheon. There were no injuries. There were no spares for the Lockheed L-1011 Tristar, so one had to be brought from Bangkok, causing a day's delay.
February 1, 2006 - a Thai Sky Lockheed L-1011 Tristar filled with Hong Kong tour groups aborted take-off at Hong Kong International airport. The Lockheed was grounded due to technical reasons, leaving angry and terrified tourists stranded. They started negotiating with Thai Sky Airlines for a refund of their paid tour. At the same time, returning Hong Kong tourists at Bangkok International Airport refused to board a plane from the same airline to take them back to Hong Kong, as they were worried about their own safety. In the end, some tourists agreed to board the plane. This plane landed at Hong Kong on February 2 at 6:10am, which made it possible for the group waiting in Hong Kong to finally depart for Bangkok on that same day at 8:19am. The incident resulted in both flights suffering a 12-hour delay.

Fleet
At its peak, the Thai Sky Airlines fleet included three Lockheed L-1011 Tristar jets. One of the few airlines still flying the plane, it had two L-1011s for passenger service and one for cargo. However, all three have been parked since August 2006 for lack of spare parts, and were cancelled from the Thai register on October 6th, 2006

In October 2006, Thai Sky acquired a McDonnell Douglas MD-82 as a replacement. However, the aircraft was soon repossessed, leaving the airline with no planes

Thai Air Asia:

Fleet:

11 B733

Info on Thai Air Asia

Thai AirAsia launched domestic operations on January 13, 2004. It was set up as a joint venture by Shin Corporation and AirAsia founder Tony Fernandes.
Thai AirAsia Boarding PassIn order to be licensed in Thailand as a domestic carrier, 51% of the company must be owned by Thai shareholders. The sale of Shin Corp. stock in January 2006 by Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra's family to Singapore's Temasek Holdings put this Thai majority stake in jeopardy.
On February 15, 2006, it was announced that Asia Aviation, a registered Thai company, had taken Shin Corp.'s 50% stake in Thai AirAsia. Asia Aviation is joint venture set up by Shin Corp., which holds 49% of Asia Aviation's shares while 51% is held by Thai investor Sittichai Veerathammanoon.
Fernandes, a Malaysian, owns 49% of Thai AirAsia's shares and Thai AirAsia CEO Tasapon Bijleveld, a Thai national, owns 1%.

PB Air

Fleet:
1 B763er
2 ERJ145
1 DO 328
3 F28

Info on PB Air:
The airline was founded in 1990 by Dr. Piya BhiromBhakdi, the president of the Boonrawd Brewery, the biggest brewery of Thailand. It was originally was used for flights for the brewery staff only. In 1995 it received the license to offer charter flights and started operations in 1997. In February 1999 it started scheduled flights, in alliance with Thai Airways International and Air Andaman.

Ok Guys, thats just about what I know, lets hopefully get some great discussions going on here !!

Cheers  Cool

Finnaviation

RE: Thailand Aviation Thread 1

Fri May 04, 2007 5:37 pm

Savatdee Khrap!  Smile

I've been waiting for Suvarnabhumi's Real Time Arrivals & Departures to appear on their site.
Any news about this?

It's 3 weeks for my next trip to Thailand. Wink

cchan

Fri May 04, 2007 7:01 pm

Any chance the Thai Sky tristars will fly again?

9MMAR

Fri May 04, 2007 7:30 pm

Sa wat dee khrap,

How about Thai AirAsia? Any new routes being planned in the nearest future? BKK-Shenzen will commence on 15 July 2007. The SEA Games later this year will be held in Korat. Has Thai AirAsia flew to Korat? I recalled there is another name for Korat, hmm... Nakhon Ratchasima?

By the way, great initiative by ThaiA345 for starting this thread. Khaawp khoon khrap.  wave 

MEA-707

Fri May 04, 2007 7:32 pm

Interesting observation, I visited Thailand three times last year and flew on most airlines regularly.
Some updates;
- PB leased out or withdrew their F-28s and 767-300. They only fly the Emb-145s on codeshares with One-two-go.
- Orient Thai/One-two-go I think has added two more MD-80s recently (no sightings yet but there were two MD-80s sold in Thailand in march), but withdrew the 757. Also not all the 747s are operational.
- Forget about seeing the Thai Sky Tristars flying again I am afraid. I had a great return trip on them in 2005, sad to see them go like this.
- Bangkok Airways uses the Royal Bhutan A-319 a lot on their flights, I flew on it BKK-Pnomh Penh, with Bangkok cabin crew, inflight magazines etc.
I wish Phuket Airways would try and fly again now they are off the EU blacklist. I once flew them between Chiang Mai and Udon Thani, 90 minute flight on a good old YS-11.
nobody has ever died from hard work, but why take the risk?

karan69

Fri May 04, 2007 7:33 pm

Excellent post Thai345, .

Can you post the routes that TG uses the 345/346/772ER/743 on.

Also on my next trip to BKK i am looking to catch rides on atleast the

B717-200 and B 747-100s and 747-300s---any ideas as to what would be my best chances economically to get on these aircrafts.

i think B717-200 is used on BKK-HKT--can someone confirm which flight number.

But most importantly i would like to be on the last of the 747-100s--which route would have my best chance of flying that on.

Looking fwd to suggestions

Regards/

Karan

levent

Fri May 04, 2007 11:14 pm

Quoting MEA-707 (Reply 4):
PB leased out or withdrew their F-28s and 767-300.

The 767-300 is currently flying with Viva Macau.

Quoting Karan69 (Reply 5):
Also on my next trip to BKK i am looking to catch rides on atleast the B717-200

If you take a flight from Bangkok to Samui, you will see in the timetable that some flights are shorter time-wise than others. The shorter flights are operated with the 717, the longer ones with the ATR 72.

cchan

Sat May 05, 2007 2:52 am

i think B717-200 is used on BKK-HKT--can someone confirm which flight number.

I think PG277 and PG278 are mostly 717, but this may vary on different days. I think PG uses both 320 and 717 on BKK-HKT, the earlier flight (more popular) is 320 and the evening flight is 717. The PG 717s are very nice and they have excellent service.

Quoting MEA-707 (Reply 4):
Forget about seeing the Thai Sky Tristars flying again I am afraid.

So between those 3 aircrafts, they can't find enough parts to fix one of them?

AirCop

Sat May 05, 2007 2:56 am

Can you post the routes that TG uses the 345/

BKK-JFK, LAX I believe are the only destinations for the the 345.

thaiaggie

Sat May 05, 2007 6:06 am

A345

BKK-JFK
BKK-LAX

A346
BKK-AKL
BKK-ZRH
BKK-JNB
BKK-HKG

almost everywhere in Europe
LHR, CDG, FRA, ARN, CPH, MAD, FCO, SYD, HKT

734 (INTERNATIONAL)
BWN, VTE
Barrow, Alaska in Feb. It was Cold!

Lufthansa747

Sat May 05, 2007 7:10 am

But most importantly i would like to be on the last of the 747-100s--which route would have my best chance of flying that on.

Likely to get UTM/UTQ on OX200 to HKG. These are -146B/SR/SUD aircraft, no idea for the best chance to catch the only real -100 (UTD).
Air Asia Super Elite, Cebu Pacific Titanium

Ryanair!!!

Sat May 05, 2007 10:41 am

Quoting ThaiA345 (Thread starter):
The first Airbus A330-300 aircraft will be delivered to the company in year 2008, with gradual delivery through until year 2010.

Airbus A330-300 to replace the Boeing 747-300?? What gives?

July 31, 1992 – Thai Airways International Flight 311 an Airbus A310-304 hit the side of a hill 23 miles north of Kathmandu while descending towards Tribhuvan International Airport from Bangkok. All 113 on board (99 passengers and 14 crew) died. The accident was caused by technical faults (with flaps and a possible second unknown fault), pilot error and lack of equipment at TIA at the time (no radar).

There is more to this. The "flap" malfunction on the A310 distracted the pilots so much that after they climbed out of the aerodrome, instead of heading south, they were heading in the opposite northerly direction towards the Himalayan mountain range. Since there is no radar facilities in KTM, the controller only relied on "reporting" technique being employed in this case (I think this is still the situation today). When the GPWS sounded, the tech crew probably had no idea that they were heading towards the face of a near vertical mountain (as they were in the clouds) because of their instinctive failed attempt to pull the aircraft up. This could probably be the first ever aircraft to fly into a vertical faced obstacle pre-911 (AA11, UA175). The wreckage of the aircraft is still there today as it has fallen too deep into a ravine to ever possibly stage a recovery. In fact, it is a locale of interest listed in the Lonely Planet guidebooks for trekkers walking in that vicinity.

In October 2006, Thai Sky acquired a McDonnell Douglas MD-82 as a replacement. However, the aircraft was soon repossessed, leaving the airline with no planes

Hahahaha... this just seems so comical to me. I last encountered the Thai Sky Tristar during my last trip to DMK in Feb 2006. HS-AXE was seriously delayed because of technical faults and missing passengers. The airline does not seem to have things straightened out from the superficial look of things. Somehow, I am reminded of another airline attempt in the Kingdom, namely Angel Air. My friends and I frequently referred to that airline as Angel Hair (with reference to the pasta, of course).
Welcome to my starry one world alliance, a team in the sky!

levent

Sat May 05, 2007 12:18 pm

Quoting Cchan (Reply 7):
So between those 3 aircrafts, they can't find enough parts to fix one of them?

Surely this would just be a temporary solution, merely postponing "the time of death"?

malaysia

Sat May 05, 2007 2:03 pm

I would love to see this airline someday. It seems so cool but still a paper airline based in NE thailand

There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

Pe@rson

Sat May 05, 2007 4:04 pm

AirAsia will begin a once-daily BKK-SZX-BKK service on 15th July. Looks like both BKK-VTE-BKK and BKK-SGN-BKK are in the pipeline - and about time.

[Edited 2007-05-05 09:06:22]
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

CX Flyboy

Sat May 05, 2007 4:18 pm

Two TG A346s being sold? I heard that some A345s were going to SAA. Anyone have any further info?

alangirvan

Sat May 05, 2007 4:37 pm

One airline you did not mention is SkyStar. http://the-wu.org/hkgspotting/viewtopic.php?t=2719 - this was on the HKG Spotters site. Is this airline going to happen? With the ex UAL 767-200?

Also, some time ago a person asked if there is any way for people outside Thailand to book on Orient Thai. He found the website very hard to use. I think he just wanted a ride in a 747-100. Is that still being operated?

JoeCanuck

Sat May 05, 2007 4:54 pm

Saba dee mai krap....It may sound girly but I love the colours on the airlines. It's so damned nice to see something besides the same, drap white with stripes.

I just got back from Phuket on my first trip to Thailand...I was surprised to see 777's and 744's from BKK to Phuket.

Mai Yang beach really is the best plane spotting place I've ever seen. Truly amazing. The Phuket Tower looks awesome on the side of the hill.

The new BKK airport is a ghost town...and it's even more of a journey to get around in than Dubai.

Good thread...
What the...?

Pe@rson

Sat May 05, 2007 5:16 pm

Quoting JoeCanuck (Reply 17):
I was surprised to see 777's and 744's from BKK to Phuket.

Common on that route and on BKK-CNX-BKK.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

9MMAR

Sat May 05, 2007 6:03 pm

Quoting JoeCanuck (Reply 17):
Mai Yang beach really is the best plane spotting place I've ever seen. Truly amazing.

Direct competitor to the famous St. Maarten/Princess Juliana in Netherlands Antilles.  tongue 

karan69

Sat May 05, 2007 6:17 pm

Quoting Lufthansa747 (Reply 10):
Likely to get UTM/UTQ on OX200 to HKG. These are -146B/SR/SUD aircraft, no idea for the best chance to catch the only real -100 (UTD).

Thanks but is there a chance of catching them on a domestic flight like HKT.

BTW, Guys thank you so much for assisting me in my queries.

Quoting CX flyboy (Reply 15):
Two TG A346s being sold?

Really is that a rumour or is it confirmed, i did hear about the 345 SAA rumour though.

Karan

Pe@rson

Sat May 05, 2007 6:22 pm

Quoting Karan69 (Reply 20):

My flight from CNX to BKK had an OX (as opposed to OG) prefix and had 747/M80 as the equipment, but it was alas operated by the M80. So, you can't ever tell.

JoeCanuck

Sat May 05, 2007 6:34 pm

I seem to remember that Malaga, Spain had a pretty good thing going too, but that was years ago. The advantage of Phuket is that it's in Phuket...  Smile  Smile
What the...?

levent

Sat May 05, 2007 7:12 pm

Quoting Malaysia (Reply 13):
I would love to see this airline someday. It seems so cool but still a paper airline based in NE thailand

This is just a hoax, probably set up by some aviation enthusiast or maybe as a university project. Nice idea but nothing more than that.

Quoting Alangirvan (Reply 16):
One airline you did not mention is SkyStar. http://the-wu.org/hkgspotting/viewtopic.php?t=2719 - this was on the HKG Spotters site. Is this airline going to happen? With the ex UAL 767-200?

I know from a good and reliable source that the reputation of the management of SkyStar is dubious, to say the least, and that the pilots supposed to fly the aircraft minimally qualified. It remains to be seen if this will ever really get off the ground and if so, how long it will last.

777way

Sat May 05, 2007 10:01 pm

Quoting Thaiaggie (Reply 9):
A346
BKK-AKL
BKK-ZRH
BKK-JNB
BKK-HKG

JNB is now 772ER

Can you post the routes that TG uses the 345/346/772ER/743 on.

772ER also does Milan.

777way

Sat May 05, 2007 10:48 pm

Checked TG website schedules which show the following.

A346

Auckland
Munich

Beijing

772ER

Brisbane
Melbourne
Milan
Moscow

Quoting 777way (Reply 24):
Quoting Thaiaggie (Reply 9):
A346
BKK-AKL
BKK-ZRH
BKK-JNB
BKK-HKG

JNB is now 772ER

Sorry, confused JNB with DME

ZRH is now back to 744.

No 346 to HKG only A333, 744 and 772.

CX Flyboy

Sat May 05, 2007 11:41 pm

Quoting 777way (Reply 25):
No 346 to HKG only A333, 744 and 772

A346s are actually scheduled to HKG. I saw one today. Yesterday an A345 made a one-off appearance.

malaysia

Sun May 06, 2007 1:50 am

Quoting Levent (Reply 23):
This is just a hoax, probably set up by some aviation enthusiast or maybe as a university project. Nice idea but nothing more than that.

But it has some funny stuff on the site, they even used Parrot S***t to refer to Nok Air Big grin
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

thaia345

Thu May 10, 2007 7:27 am

Quoting Cchan (Reply 2):
Any chance the Thai Sky tristars will fly again?

I doubt so, the airline is already being liquidated or already has according to my Thai friends, but their website is still running, forgot the site, but just go to google and type thai sky airlines, you will find it !!!

Quoting Ryanair!!! (Reply 11):
Airbus A330-300 to replace the Boeing 747-300?? What gives?

Well this is TG we are talking about, one day its this another day its that, but I hope the new A333 gets put on the Perth route and then older A333 gets relegated to regional routes instead. However, The A333 on TG both config and seat wise is still much better than MH's A333, the only airlines using really good config A333 are Northwest, Gulf and Emirates to name just a few. But MH's A332 aren't that bad too

345 SAA rumour though.

Well, I can't remember but it was actually posted once on a Bangkok newspaper about TG wanting to put the A346 on the LAX route via ICN or PEK, and it also mentioned that SAA are in the market as possible buyers for the A345, but then again, nothing else has been heard about this

Lufthansa747

Thu May 10, 2007 11:00 am

No unless aircraft substitution or extra flight during Thai holidays. I suspect the Suvarnabhumi-CNX/HKT flights during Songkran were using 747s. Normally domestic is all M80 which is why I don't dly them anymore (no C on M80).

No 346 to HKG only A333, 744 and 772.

346 is scheduled to HKG on some days. So is A300.

6thfreedom

Thu May 10, 2007 11:00 am

772ER

Brisbane
Melbourne
Milan
Moscow

BNE will no longer be B772ER from 1 June.

TGs services between BKK and East coast Australia will be:

12pw BKK-MEL-BKK B772ER (7pw 8pm arrival MEL, midnight departure + 5pw midday arrival, 4pm departure)

7pw BKK-SYD-BNE-BKK B744 (8pm arrival SYD, midnight departure ex-BNE, morning arrival into BKK)

7pw BKK-SYD-BKK B744 (Midday arrival SYD, 4pm departure)

5pw BKK-SYD-BKK B772ER (6am arrival SYD, 10am departure)

karan69

Thu May 10, 2007 1:50 pm

Quoting ThaiA345 (Reply 28):
the only airlines using really good config A333 are Northwest, Gulf and Emirates to name just a few.

Barring NW, as of now EK and GF only operate 332s

Karan

QF175

Thu May 10, 2007 2:59 pm

Quoting 6thfreedom (Reply 30):
BNE will no longer be B772ER from 1 June.

But from late-September, it is expected TG will revert back to BKK-BNE-BKK non-stop. I have been told the SYD triangulation service is a temporary measure.

I can see TG increasing BNE services even further, subject to available aircraft.

Rgds

6thfreedom

Thu May 10, 2007 4:05 pm

Quoting QF175 (Reply 32):
But from late-September, it is expected TG will revert back to BKK-BNE-BKK non-stop. I have been told the SYD triangulation service is a temporary measure.

I can see TG increasing BNE services even further, subject to available aircraft.

How do you come to the conclusion that it's a temporary measure?

While TG is linking SYD with BNE, it is also increasing SYD services from 14 to 19pw.

That being the case, it is obvious they have the capacity to provide services, yet the focus is on SYD.

I agree that the BNE change is due to SYD curfew, but I can't see the change taking pace by Sept.

QF175

Thu May 10, 2007 4:20 pm

Quoting 6thfreedom (Reply 33):
How do you come to the conclusion that it's a temporary measure?

Ummm... because that's what I have been told... back to BKK-BNE-BKK by October.

6thfreedom

Thu May 10, 2007 6:46 pm

Quoting QF175 (Reply 34):
Ummm... because that's what I have been told... back to BKK-BNE-BKK by October.

OK, so what are the other changes? what's the schedule going to look like.

I'm not being sarcastic by the way.. genuine questions...

How are TG going to handle the morning ex-BKK which arrive 20.00 into SYD.
That seems to be the sore point.

Steve332

Thu May 10, 2007 7:54 pm

I was in Thailand over Christmas and flew domestically on a TG A310 and an Air Asia 733 both were good flights one from Bangkok to Phuket and the other from Suran Thani (I think I spelt it right) back to BKK. Also I want to congratulate you on Suvarnabhumi, it is the most beautiful airport Iv have ever had the pleasure of passing trough and I hope the problems it is experiencing soon pass, It's a breathtaking gateway into the worlds most beautiful country..

Lufthansa747

Thu May 10, 2007 8:31 pm

Quoting Steve332 (Reply 36):
flew domestically on a TG A310

TG doesn't fly A310s. Must have been a worn out A300.

trent1000

Thu May 10, 2007 9:05 pm

Where do I start?

Quoting Malaysia (Reply 13):
It seems so cool but still a paper airline based in NE thailand

And it will stay that way: there's nothing in Esan. Flat, hot, dry. Not much for tourists to travel to see by air.

Quoting 6thfreedom (Reply 30):
7pw BKK-SYD-BNE-BKK B744 (8pm arrival SYD, midnight departure ex-BNE, morning arrival into BKK)

Actually 1 am BNE dep.

Quoting QF175 (Reply 32):

"been told" hey? QF175, I don't doubt you at all, but what's your source?

Quoting 6thfreedom (Reply 35):
How are TG going to handle the morning ex-BKK which arrive 20.00 into SYD.
That seems to be the sore point.

According to Flight Stats, TG 991 is on time less that 60%. It's not late that much in real terms (say 20 mins), especially considering late morning arrivals from Europe. But still a sore point. Late is late.

Quoting Lufthansa747 (Reply 37):

They are A300-600s currently operated intra-Asia / Japan. They are old and look it, but will be replaced with 777s in 2008.

I believe TG definately give SQ a run for its money in all classes (to/from Asia/Australia) and will soon celebrate 10 years as an original member of the Star Alliance.

Lufthansa747

Thu May 10, 2007 9:31 pm

Quoting Trent1000 (Reply 38):
They are old and look it, but will be replaced with 777s in 2008.

No they won't. Oldest 6 will be replaced by A330s, nothing planned for the rest.

Quoting Trent1000 (Reply 38):
I believe TG definately give SQ a run for its money in all classes (to/from Asia/Australia)

The current mess TG is in (politics, frequently horrible cabin service, constant decline in F/C class, Don Muang...), I wouldn't even compare the two. Quite telling that SQ nonstops to the U.S. cost almost as much in Y as TG C class from SIN/CGK etc.

Their 777-200ER fleet has a big problem with the C-class seats, 7 of 30 were INOP on my MEL-BKK last weekend.

thaia345

Fri May 11, 2007 6:46 am

Quoting Lufthansa747 (Reply 39):
No they won't. Oldest 6 will be replaced by A330s, nothing planned for the rest.

Yes indeed!! ...Actually as I usually fly on J, I always avoid all routes that use the AB6, usually I will fly MH on routes that TG uses the AB6 or B734....

Any idea what seats the new A333 will? Hopefully they finally replace the old A333 they use on the PER route huh!!

Their 777-200ER fleet has a big problem with the C-class seats, 7 of 30 were INOP on my MEL-BKK last weekend.

Intersting fact to note...cross my fingers but so far I do not or have not experienced much or any problem with the BE Aerospace seats, only once in F on a B744 (Avod not functioning) but luckily the cabin was not full, hence I was able to swop seats.

Ryanair!!!

Fri May 11, 2007 11:46 am

They had 3. The 1st one was lost when they crashed it in Nepal and the 2nd one in Surat Thani a few years later. The 3rd one was left to rot after a while on the tarmac before they decided it was time to get rid of it, no doubt being referred to the "unlucky" aircraft type of the fleet.

Quite telling that SQ nonstops to the U.S. cost almost as much in Y as TG C class from SIN/CGK etc.

TG's JCL fares are not cheap ex-SIN to BKK and CGK. Especially on the SIN-BKK sector, they frequently cost as much as SQ, although once you board the AB6, you start to seriously question why? They have recently stopped the TG413 SIN-CGK flights leaving her other Star Alliance partners LH and SQ to fight it out.

The current mess TG is in (politics, frequently horrible cabin service, constant decline in F/C class, Don Muang...), I wouldn't even compare the two.

For some good things TG has done, there are enough equally bad decisions made in their time. However, the airline has improved (although a little slow, like all things in Thailand) and one of the better government-run airline out there. At least they have managed to be profitable modestly and do not report year after year of financial losses ala MAS, PAL, Garuda et al.
Welcome to my starry one world alliance, a team in the sky!

trent1000

Fri May 11, 2007 1:20 pm

So TG will replace the A300-600 with the A330, probably 200 series for the routes they currently use the AB6 on.
I made a mistake to infer the replacement with 777 based on this information from Wikipedia:

Twenty-one A300-600 aircraft will leave the fleet sometime from 2006-2007. This will most likely coincide with the delivery of the new 777-200ER aircraft.

According to the TG website, they have 20 and not 21 AB6, but Wikipedia is only a guide.

Lufthansa747

Sat May 12, 2007 1:01 am

Quoting ThaiA345 (Reply 40):
Intersting fact to note...cross my fingers but so far I do not or have not experienced much or any problem with the BE Aerospace seats

They are not the same BE Aerospace seats. 777-200ER has a brand new type, forgot who the manufacturer is. More comfy than the 772/744/340 seats but 7 out of 30 INOP is alarming.

Quoting Ryanair!!! (Reply 41):
TG's JCL fares are not cheap ex-SIN to BKK and CGK

Try SIN/CGK-USA. SQ costs $2000 ex-BKK on the nonstops in Y, TG costs about the same in C from CGK and not much more from SIN.

Quoting Ryanair!!! (Reply 41):

For some good things TG has done, there are enough equally bad decisions made in their time. However, the airline has improved

TG did good things, F/C were pretty decent recently. Try them today, a whole another world. How does a foil casserole dish from Y sound in Royal Silk? Or no amenity kits at all?

In F, they have scrapped good wines, La Grande Dame Champagne, Limousine Service, Caviar, Proper turndown service a la SQ, crew attitude is horrible these days. TG is on a downward spiral, hope the idiot running the company is ousted sooner or later as a Flyertalker posted.

Quoting Trent1000 (Reply 42):
So TG will replace the A300-600 with the A330, probably 200 series for the routes they currently use the AB6 on.

No 200s are coming, only A330-300s. And they will keep regional business class, which is appalling at best.

thaia345

Sun May 13, 2007 12:34 am

Quoting Lufthansa747 (Reply 43):
They are not the same BE Aerospace seats. 777-200ER has a brand new type, forgot who the manufacturer is. More comfy than the 772/744/340 seats but 7 out of 30 INOP is alarming.

Interesting fact, actually after I replied to your earlier message I was on the way back from Paris, and when I got to the airport, TG931 was delayed as AVOD was malfunctioning in F & J !! Deja Vu huh....anyway, at least they managed to fix it after a 30 min delay !!

Quoting Lufthansa747 (Reply 43):
And they will keep regional business class, which is appalling at best.

But at least they should upgrade the model of the seat right? And at least with AVOD (like regional with EK and SK)

Steve332

Sun May 13, 2007 7:47 pm

I was almosrt certian it was an A310 but no complaining A300 is good news,
That means I can add another aircraft to my list and all I need now is an A380 and iv flown all the airbusses(excluding A350 of course, thats not even built yet) Smile

thaia345

Mon May 14, 2007 8:55 pm

Quoting Steve332 (Reply 45):
was almosrt certian it was an A310 but no complaining A300 is good news,

Hey Steve....

Yeah the A300 is a good old workhorse, but the interior on TG's A300 are really worn out with pathetic leg room especially in J and Y class......I always avoid all routes TG uses the A300

Lufthansa747

Mon May 14, 2007 9:32 pm

Quoting ThaiA345 (Reply 44):
But at least they should upgrade the model of the seat right? And at least with AVOD (like regional with EK and SK)

Who knows, now it seems this A330 acquisition has been blocked by the military government. So, one can enjoy the beautiful state of the art C-cabins of the oldest A300B4-601s on long regionals like BKK-FUK/DPS/CGK perpaps in 2015. Big grin

JoeCanuck

Mon May 14, 2007 10:18 pm

On a different note, I was pretty impressed that they served an ok snack on the TG flight from BKK-HKT. It wasn't a lot but the flight is less than an hour. Good job.
What the...?

aminobwana

Tue May 15, 2007 2:28 am

Quoting Lufthansa747 (Reply 47):
Who knows, now it seems this A330 acquisition has been blocked by the military government. So, one can enjoy the beautiful state of the art C-cabins of the oldest A300B4-601s on long regionals like BKK-FUK/DPS/CGK perpaps in 2015.

If you read the last paragraphs of the Article of the BangkoK Post (http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/14May2007_news03.php) it coud be inferred that the Minister
or the Military Government is quite upset by the other than "sole reason' (i.e. the A330 special discount
which was, as some THAI executives candidly confirmed, a disguised penalty for the A380 delay)
aspect of this deal.
Therefore the A380 + A330 deal will be probably confronted with the BOEING proposal mentioned in relation
with the US embassador

Opinions by Thailand-savy people ???

aminobwana