baflyer

A Few "Why In The USA..." Questions

Fri May 04, 2007 10:49 pm

In the last 12 months I have started to do a bit of domestic flying with the USA and have noticed a few things that are unique compared the the rest of my wordwide travels.

1. Why are the arrivals and departures boards listed alphabetically whereas the rest of the world uses chronological listings? I actually prefer this alphabetical system so maybe my question should be "Why doesn't the rest of the world use the alphabetical system?"

2. Why are the baggage claim areas accessible to non-passengers? Every where else I have travelled baggage claim is only available to passengers but in the USA anyone can walk in off the street and grab a few bags.

3. Why do so many people end up at the gate on a standby list? I understand the concept of overselling flights but I thought that you get your boarding card at the check-in area if you are on standby - not at the gate.

4. Why do so many people insist on taking everything as carry-on and why don't the airline staff enforce the limits? I travel with just a laptop bag (a normal one, not the sort that can also hold the entire contents of your wardrobe) and I find it ridiculous that I often struggle to find space for it.

5. Why are so many obese people allowed to squeeze themselves into a single seat? I know this issue has been discussed frequently on a.net but in all honesty I can state that no where else in the world have I seen so many obese people - not just overweight but grossly obese. If your body mass oozes over into my seat then it's time to purchase 2 tickets.
Most frustrating part of being an atheist - Never being able to say "Told you so".

n844aa

RE: A Few "Why In The USA..." Questions

Fri May 04, 2007 10:50 pm

Quoting BAflyer (Thread starter):
2. Why are the baggage claim areas accessible to non-passengers? Every where else I have travelled baggage claim is only available to passengers but in the USA anyone can walk in off the street and grab a few bags.

Occasionally this is not the case. LGA, for example, sometimes checks claim tickets. But this is the only airport where I've ever seen this done.
New airplanes, new employees, low fares, all touchy-feely ... all of them are losers. -Gordon Bethune

InnocuousFox

Fri May 04, 2007 11:00 pm

1. Why are the arrivals and departures boards listed alphabetically whereas the rest of the world uses chronological listings? I actually prefer this alphabetical system so maybe my question should be "Why doesn't the rest of the world use the alphabetical system?"

I would think that the alphabetical list is preferable because, when I am connecting, I don't give a crap about any flight other than where I am going... that is, WHAT CITY? I don't memorize the departure time, I know where I'm going.

Because it would be stupid to expect grandma to grab her own bags and lug them to wherever she is going to meet her family that is picking her up.

3. Why do so many people end up at the gate on a standby list? I understand the concept of overselling flights but I thought that you get your boarding card at the check-in area if you are on standby - not at the gate.

Because it would take a long time to find the people at the check-in counter that are next and get them all the way to the gate. When they decide that they can take stand-by people, they want them NOW.

4. Why do so many people insist on taking everything as carry-on and why don't the airline staff enforce the limits? I travel with just a laptop bag (a normal one, not the sort that can also hold the entire contents of your wardrobe) and I find it ridiculous that I often struggle to find space for it.

This I agree with. However, for the most part it is a speed issue. Many business travelers want/need to be able to go straight to a car - not wait for 30 minutes for their bags.

5. Why are so many obese people allowed to squeeze themselves into a single seat? I know this issue has been discussed frequently on a.net but in all honesty I can state that no where else in the world have I seen so many obese people - not just overweight but grossly obese. If your body mass oozes over into my seat then it's time to purchase 2 tickets.

Yep.

There are those who say that they should make the seats bigger to accomidate them - but then that means less seats, which means higher fares, etc. So, in the end, they want the rest of US to pay for the fact that THEY are outside the second standard deviation of body size.
Dave Mark - Intrinsic Algorithm - Reducing the world to mathematical equations!

BigAppleCoder

Fri May 04, 2007 11:13 pm

Amen to that, brother. Endlessly discussed here and other sites...but WN has the right attitude when it comes to this.

chase

Fri May 04, 2007 11:14 pm

1) I also prefer it alphabetical. Don't know why it hasn't caught on elsewhere.
2) Probably just a holdover from back when non-pax were allowed everywhere, even in the gate area. When security was erected, most airport layouts were probably just more conducive to just securing the gate area. Also, if someone steals your bag from the carousel, there is no risk of catastrophe or harm to the airline, only the individual passenger is harmed, so they probably just don't care.
3) Many airline employees also fly standby, not just those who paid for flights that were oversold. In my experience flying standby as an employee, and earlier as an employee's child, you get your boarding pass at check-in if the flight is undersold and it is a "sure thing" that you'll get on, but you get it at the gate if it is not apparent whether you'll get on or not, or if you're at a connection point on your journey and would have to leave the secured area to go to the check-in desk.
4) I will admit I have done this. In my case, it is due to simply not wanting to risk the (ever-increasing) odds of my checked bag being lost. I am more likely to try to carry something a little too large onto my outbound flight, as opposed to a return flight, since I have extra clothes/deodorant/etc at my house so being apart from the particular items I brought on the trip for a few days won't be a big deal when I am at home.
5) Two reasons: more than 50% of Americans are obese, and America is an extremely litigious society. And now, with the advent of digg.com, etc. it is also easy to convict a company who has allegedly violated your rights in the "court of public opinion" in addition to the court of law. As to why many Americans are obese, the reason in many cases is economics. For instance, in terms of $/calorie, Twinkies cost a third what carrots cost, so if money is tight, people end up buying food containing lots and lots of nutritionless calories.

TeamAmerica

Fri May 04, 2007 11:15 pm

1. Why are the arrivals and departures boards listed alphabetically

Alphabetical is best, by far.

2. Why are the baggage claim areas accessible to non-passengers?

The baggage drop-off is accessible to non-passengers as well. It's not uncommon for a traveller to need assistance with luggage at both ends. Friends and/or family members need access to assist at the baggage claim.

3. Why do so many people end up at the gate on a standby list?

Because the standby list is often cleared at the very last moments before closing the door. The passengers need to be right there at the gate.

4. Why do so many people insist on taking everything as carry-on and why don't the airline staff enforce the limits?

Agreed! Airlines should enforce their own rules for a change! thumbsup 

5. Why are so many obese people allowed to squeeze themselves into a single seat?

Emphatically agreed! Either make them pay for the space or leave the adjacent seats unsold! bigthumbsup 
Failure is not an option; it's an outcome.

katekebo

Fri May 04, 2007 11:25 pm

1) Maybe because they apply common sense in America? By the way, I have seen the alphabetical approach in many countries, not only USA.

2) For the same reason that people leave their cars' doors unlocked and windows rolled down in parking lots, and the back doors to their houses unlocked - in spite of what most Europeans think, small-town America is much safer than most European cities (based on my personal experience after living nearly half of my life in Europe). Car jacking, bag snatching, which are a common thing in most larger European cities, are virtually non-existent in the majority of American cities, except large metropolis such as New York, Los Angeles, etc. Several of my work friends had their cars stolen (at gunpoint) when stopped at a traffic light in Brussels, something that has never happened to anybody I know in America (although of course you can read about it in the news). The big crime issues in America are murder (mainly due to availability of firearms), and drug-related organized crime. But still. America's average murder rate (per million people) is less than suicide rate in some Western European countries, for example (suicide is leading cause of death in several European countries among people between 25 and 40 years of age).

3) Are you sure these are people who got their boarding pass, but have not seats due to overbooking, or are you talking about people listed on the screens as waiting list for an upgrade? Usually there are quite many people who apply for an upgrade to 1st class using their FF miles.

4) Because it saves time when checking in and leaving the airport - and time is money.

5) Yes, obesity is a major epidemic - and unfortunately their is no easy solution in sight.

atlantaflyboy

Fri May 04, 2007 11:30 pm

It would be my guess that in the US very few passengers are arriving in from foreign locales as an overall percentage of air travellers. In Europe, where countries are in some cases the size of smallish US states, many more people have traditionally travelled cross border to their destination city and I would surmise that the European airport authorities deemed it more prudent and efficient to build one luggage reclaim instead of separate ones for international arrivals and domestic arrivals. Domestic only baggage does not need to be inspected by customs officials, therefore in areas where air travel is highly oriented to domestic only travellers (most US airports) the expense of constructing a secure luggage reclaim is not necessary.

roseflyer

Fri May 04, 2007 11:34 pm

I really like alphabetical too. It lets you know if there are other flights in case you want to get on an earlier one. Also as others have said, it is easier to know what city you are going to then what time your flight is.

In the United States, most airlines let you get on an earlier flight for free. So if you don't have checked luggage and see an earlier flight, you can go to the gate and get on it. There are exceptions like WN, who don't allow it. So you'll likely see people wanting to get earlier flights. Additionally, with the hub and spoke system which can get very delayed, you have tons of people missing flights, which means they are standby for each flight for the rest of the day.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

CXfirst

Fri May 04, 2007 11:55 pm

In Australia and Norway flying domestic lets non-passengers to the baggage claim (except for OSL) as well as the gate. International is different due to customs after the baggage claim, and passport control before the gate.

-CXfirst

SkyyMaster

Sat May 05, 2007 12:08 am

Quoting N844AA (Reply 1):

Occasionally this is not the case. LGA, for example, sometimes checks claim tickets. But this is the only airport where I've ever seen this done.

I've had my claim tickets checked against my bags a couple of times at DAL, but it's never been consistent. It's the only domestic airport I've ever seen this happen.

baflyer

Sat May 05, 2007 12:15 am

Thanks for all the answers.

So it seems the alphabetical listings are very popular - now then, how do we get the rest of the world to change to this system? Is there anyone out there that prefers the chronological listings?

Quoting Katekebo (Reply 7):
By the way, I have seen the alphabetical approach in many countries, not only USA.

Can you give any examples. Not that I don't believe you or anything and I don't claim to have visited every airport in the world (quite a lot but not all!!) but I've never seen alphabetical listing anywhere else.
Most frustrating part of being an atheist - Never being able to say "Told you so".

CXfirst

Sat May 05, 2007 12:20 am

Quoting BAflyer (Reply 12):
Is there anyone out there that prefers the chronological listings?

I do, the reason for this is that when I'm at the airport, I like seeing the gate numbers of planes leaving soon, so I can go see them depart and so on. And, as the list moves up, and as I look for other interesting planes and airlines I will soon notice my flight and so on. Never had a problem with chronological flight listing.

-CXfirst

searpqx

Sat May 05, 2007 12:31 am

Quoting CXfirst (Reply 10):
In Australia and Norway flying domestic lets non-passengers to the baggage claim (except for OSL) as well as the gate. International is different due to customs after the baggage claim, and passport control before the gate.

And that's really the root answer to two of your questions - the vast majority of flying in the US is domestic, which means no passport and customs control, and up until very recently very different security considerations. As someone above noted, our airports, with the exception of the international terminals, for the most part were wide open up until 9/11/2001. LGA, BOS and MIA are the only three I can think of that had sterile concourses throughout the airport. So if you don't secure the gates, why would you secure bag claim, especially as there was no need for customs? And its much more efficient to have standbys available at the gate than it is to have them up to 1/4 mile away at check in.

As for Alpha vs. Chronological - preference I guess. Same with bags, if we can get away with avoiding bag claim, why not? Unfortunately it got out of hand, but the new rules have made it tolerable again.
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

bhmbaglock

Sat May 05, 2007 12:32 am

Isn't the big board in the Intl terminal at LAX chronological? Or do I not remember correctly? In any case, alphabetical is much more user friendly. Come to think of it though, I'm pretty sure the displays at my home airport in BHM are chronological. Of course it's not too bad of a burden with only two screens each for arrivals and departures.

Quoting N844AA (Reply 1):

I've had them checked in PHL several times. It's been a while, but seems like they check them pretty regularly at MID as well.

Quoting InnocuousFox (Reply 3):
This I agree with. However, for the most part it is a speed issue. Many business travelers want/need to be able to go straight to a car - not wait for 30 minutes for their bags.

Also, many have been burned before when the airline lost their luggage. It's pretty hard to lose what you carry on. Personally, I don't like lugging a bunch of stuff around and will normally check as much as possible. I think the lower limits on checked bags lately have also aggravated this problem although it's probably balanced out by the restrictions on liquids forcing many people to check a bag anyway.
Where are all of my respected members going?

lincoln

Sat May 05, 2007 12:35 am

I don't really have an answer for this one, partially because I don't really understand how chronological would work, especially with regard to delays. Actually, I have seen chronological a few places in the US (don't ask me where, though) and it confused the hell out of me -- "Ok, there's one LA flight...wait that one's not mine...where the hell is my flight? Did it get canceled?"

I suspect at some level this goes back to the days where there was no security period, and then after that when there was security but only for people going on to a concourse (i.e. to protect the aircraft). The majority of airports are configured such that restricting access to baggage claim to passengers only would leave practically nowhere for passengers to meet whomever is picking them up.

Occassionally airports will check claim tags -- for example, CO at CLE tends to do it around the holidays. I had a couple CO agents tell me, though, that the rest of the year the cost of doing that is far greater than the payout for the occassional bag that may be stolen, plus there are security cameras in most baggage claims so if a trend develops suspicious behavior can be identified. (Not that anyone is actively watching them)

With I've noticed very few (revenue) standbys at the gate. If the flight is oversold and you don't have a seat assignment (or if the flight has gone to "Gate Controlled") then the only people who can issue seat assignments/boarding passes are ususally the gate agents -- this allows them to mantain control over their flight. (You do get a 'gate pass' though that allows you through security).

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

Logos

Sat May 05, 2007 12:55 am

I guess because by that time, the only threat is to people's personal property, not the flight itself. Ironically, back in the day, a lot more airports had someone there checking for matching claim tickets. I remember this specifically at IAH when I was a college student. Those employees probably went away in some round of budget cuts.

Just to add to what's been said, they get a boarding pass without a seat assignment and that's what gets them to the gate. Airlines generally do a pretty good job with yield management, but there are exceptions.

This, I believe, is a direct result of our litigation-crazed, politically correct society. These people aren't obese, they're "dimensionally and gravitationally challenged". Airlines (at least the ones not named Southwest) are generally unwilling to offend someone by suggesting that they're too fat to fit into a single seat because they're afraid of the lawsuit that might ensue. Personally, I'd be more likely to fly with an airline that enforced this policy strictly and consistently.

Cheers,
Dave in Orlando
Too many types flown to list

baflyer

Sat May 05, 2007 12:57 am

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 16):
I don't really understand how chronological would work, especially with regard to delays

Delayed flights tend to stay at the top of the list or they get a re-scheduled time and then go back down the list.

Quoting InnocuousFox (Reply 3):
Many business travelers want/need to be able to go straight to a car - not wait for 30 minutes for their bags.

Fair enough but the allowance is 1 piece plus a personal item such as a handbag or laptop case. Many times I have seen people with the largest possibe carry-on and one of those large "wheelie" laptop bags that is almost as large as their main carry-on item. These people should be booking first class tickets and stop being so selfish and taking up all the overhead space. If their time is so precious that they can't wait a few minutes at baggage claim then the price of a first class ticket should be no problem.

Ken777

Sat May 05, 2007 1:06 am

A lot of domestic terminals overseas use the same system as the US. SYD and PER come to mind. Isolating baggage pickup is more oriented to international flights where a smiling Customs Officer can have a chat with you.

coa747

Sat May 05, 2007 1:15 am

I have seen more than a few people who were told no way no how were they bringing those huge roller bags on board. But then they just gate check it for you and you get it back when you get off the plane. I routinely gate check bags because I don't want to have to deal with waiting 30 to 45 minutes at bag claim. Most US carriers will allow you to gate check bags and I take advantage of that. The system is great as long as you use it within reason. I have a medium size roller bag and a laptop. The roller bag will fit but it takes up a lot of the bin space so I elect not to be a bin hog and gate check it. I wish more people would do the same.

pilotdude09

Sat May 05, 2007 1:52 am

Aussies the same, domestically you can walk in and bingo you can have youre self a nice new suitcase, im sure there was a guy a few years who use to do that and he got caught.......it was years ago.

LOL i couldnt believe the size of the rollons people were wheeling around LAX, then again everything and everyone is big in America  Wink  Wink
Qantas, Still calling Australia Home.........

JayinKitsap

Sat May 05, 2007 1:59 am

1. Alpha is much better, I believe the USA has gone more Alpha and with master lists of all flights, the chrono boards I recall seeing were for a single airline like UA, now with all of the codeshares it is hard to know anything more than the destination city when looking at the boards.

2. Most US airports started with no screening, then screening was added like 25 years ago. Non-pax were allowed at many places to the gate up until 911. Without customs it was easiest to be open at baggage. Many airports used to check baggage tags to claim checks on leaving baggage claim. Those are the ones with the glass or similar railing around baggage claim. It cost too much to check so the stopped it.

3. There are upgrades, standbys, flying early, missed flights, overbooking and the like and they need the passenger there to board them in minutes. At checkin you would get a boarding pass noted as standby or unassigned seating, then to fight it out at the gate. The upgrades, early flights, and missed flights originate inside the secure area.

4. Most US airlines require for bags being checked to be in by 1 hour before the flight, but carryon with a premade boarding pass only requires you to be at the gate like 20 minutes before. Some airports like SEA, PHL, HNL you are really lucky to get your bag within 45 minutes of the flight, sometimes an hour. So checking a bag adds 1 to 1.5 hours at the airport. Doing a single day or 2 day trip, checking adds 3 hours of travel, really cutting into the time to get your work done.

ScottB

Sat May 05, 2007 2:26 am

Quoting BHMBAGLOCK (Reply 15):
Come to think of it though, I'm pretty sure the displays at my home airport in BHM are chronological. Of course it's not too bad of a burden with only two screens each for arrivals and departures.

As I recall, many years ago (i.e. 25+, before the big growth in hubs in the U.S.), most of the arrivals and departures screens were chronological. Actually, BHMBAGLOCK's post touches on a key reason for this -- most airports only had one or two screens for arrivals and departures in a given terminal, so it would have been quite difficult to show all the origin and destination points. Once the larger hubs started to see several dozen departures in a single bank, it became necessary to arrange the flight information in a more user-friendly way. And when you've got ten or twenty screens coupled with modern computer technology, alphabetical seems the way to go, since most people know where they're going, though they may not know the exact departure time or flight number. At many airports in the U.S., the airlines run their own flight information displays.

I think one difference in "the rest of the world" is the fact that the airports run the FIDS systems, and they tend to handle many different airlines to many destinations. In that case, it can become very difficult to have a slot on the screen for every possible destination (or simply more expensive to deploy enough display screens to show everything alphabetically). I'd add that the mechanical displays which are more common in the rest of the world don't handle re-sorting destinations alphabetically in a terribly efficient manner -- whereas with CRT's, plasma, or LCD panels, it's basically just a screen update.

Why do so many people insist on taking everything as carry-on and why don't the airline staff enforce the limits?

It is essentially an issue of time. If you fly twice a week (or more), spending 30 minutes waiting for bags after every flight starts to add up. I think the airline employees are loath to be strict about the limits simply because they don't want to get into confrontations with passengers. And, to be honest, the airlines may save money if they can get the passengers to be their own baggage handlers.

airbazar

Sat May 05, 2007 2:28 am

In some like LHR it's a security issue. They don't advertize what gate the flight will be leaving from until about 20 minutes before boarding. It also depends on where the monitors are. I've seen both here in the US. I'm pretty sure the big board at BOS international arrivals hall has it chronologicaly while most other places where you'd look for connecting information like the banks of monitors throughout the airport are alphabetical.

Quote:

It's the bus station effect. I don't agree with it myself. I've always wondered how many of the reportedly lost luggage is actually stolen luggage at the destination.

Quote:

Most of those people are likely transfering and trying to get on an earlier or more direct connection, or are non-revs. AFAIK, a normal passenger can't get past security without a boarding pass.

Quoting Katekebo (Reply 7):
in spite of what most Europeans think, small-town America is much safer than most European cities (based on my personal experience after living nearly half of my life in Europe). Car jacking, bag snatching, which are a common thing in most larger European cities

I don't agree, unless we're talking specifically about Easter Europe where most countries have a per-capita murder rate that is greater than even the US. But as far as Western Europe, I can't agree with you. Those crimes you listed are petty crimes, not violent crimes against your physical well-being.Yes, Europe has a lot more annoying petty crime but as far as violent crime which to me is what really matters, small town America is a lot worse than even some of the largest urban centers in Western Europe. If Virginia Tech doesn't prove that I don't know what does.

MidEx216

Sat May 05, 2007 2:40 am

1) Departure / Arrival times may change, and therefore your flight would be moved somewhere, and you wouldn't know where it went. With alphabetical order, you just find your destination (which hopefully wouldn't change) and you'll see it in short time.

2) Mystery to me. I didn't even realize that, but it's true.

3) Because often, it is unknown for sure how many seats will definitely be available on the plane. So the passengers go to the gate, rather than finding out someone didn't show up just at departure time, and having to go through security, etc.

4) Because travellers are getting more and more stubborn and impatient (when I fly, I always let everyone, or nearly, get off the plane before I even bother to get up. I'm not in any rush) and the carriers don't want to tell them they can't, because they're afraid the customers will get unhappy, even though it's a perfectly reasonable request, and not fly them anymore (I actually asked that at work once).

5) See above?

chuchoteur

Sat May 05, 2007 2:42 am

Quoting BAflyer (Reply 12):
So it seems the alphabetical listings are very popular - now then, how do we get the rest of the world to change to this system? Is there anyone out there that prefers the chronological listings?

I'm wondering... several people pointed out that tehy had difficulty remembering the time of their flight, whereas (obviously) they knew where they were going.

Putting flights in chronological order forces people to check the time of their flight, thus maybe resulting in less people being late at the gate?

I have to admit neither system bothers me that much... as long as my flight is displayed and it doesn't have a "cancelled" note against it!!

I really don't like being sat next to a large person, as I am quite slim, they feel it is "ok" to use the whole armrest and then some... and it can be somewhat antagonising to remind them that I paid for my seat width - the WHOLE seat width.

spacecadet

Sat May 05, 2007 2:42 am

Quoting Airbazar (Reply 26):
I don't agree, unless we're talking specifically about Easter Europe where most countries have a per-capita murder rate that is greater than even the US. But as far as Western Europe, I can't agree with you. Those crimes you listed are petty crimes, not violent crimes against your physical well-being.Yes, Europe has a lot more annoying petty crime but as far as violent crime which to me is what really matters, small town America is a lot worse than even some of the largest urban centers in Western Europe. If Virginia Tech doesn't prove that I don't know what does.

I'm not sure how many "small towns" have large airports regardless. It seems to me that this dispute is pretty irrelevant (as was the original answer given).

But the FBI crime statistics do show that violent crime is pretty prevalent across all regions of the United States: http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/prelim06/downloads.htm

Table 4 is probably the one you want.

So I really doubt that the answer to question 2 has anything to do with a lack of crime.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

ANother

Sat May 05, 2007 2:47 am

Quoting Airbazar (Reply 26):
In some like LHR it's a security issue. They don't advertize what gate the flight will be leaving from until about 20 minutes before boarding.

Security? No, I don't think so and in any case at LHR the posting of the gate an hour or so before departure has been in effect since at least the 70s, if not longer - predating most security concerns.

They would say this increases flexibility (and BAA owns the gates, the airlines don't) but I suspect a more self-centred reason. You keep the punters in the shopping area longer.

yowza

Sat May 05, 2007 3:05 am

. Why are the arrivals and departures boards listed alphabetically whereas the rest of the world uses chronological listings? I actually prefer this alphabetical system so maybe my question should be "Why doesn't the rest of the world use the alphabetical system?"

Given the high density of flights in the US the nature of the flights is such that delays and the like (small and large) are more commonplace. With that in mind it makes more sense to list flights by destination/origin than time as they are not susceptible to change.

. Why do so many people insist on taking everything as carry-on and why don't the airline staff enforce the limits? I travel with just a laptop bag (a normal one, not the sort that can also hold the entire contents of your wardrobe) and I find it ridiculous that I often struggle to find space for it.

Ever flown in Africa, Asia or the Middle-East?

Fat is the American norm, alienating the fat is NOT good for airlines as this would alienate their base.

YOWza

mham001

Sat May 05, 2007 3:45 am

According to the head of SFO, it is indeed a crime issue- or lack of it. He said it rarely happens and is not worth staffing people to check ticket stubs.

4. Why do so many people insist on taking everything as carry-on and why don't the airline staff enforce the limits?

My own pet peeve. Why bother even posting the rules if all the aholes are just going to ignore it. They make for longer turnaround times and the airlines have a financial reason to enforce those rules.

Quoting Chase (Reply 5):
Two reasons: more than 50% of Americans are obese,

Lets not get carried away with false statistics. I have spent months on beaches full of Euros and I don't think they have too much to talk about in the fat department...

chase

Sat May 05, 2007 4:27 am

Quoting Mham001 (Reply 30):
Lets not get carried away with false statistics

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obesity_in_the_United_States, "American obesity rates lead the world with 64% of adults being overweight and 30% being obese". I apologize for confusing the terms "overweight" and "obese".

ikramerica

Sat May 05, 2007 4:43 am

In the past, they were restricted more. We sort of gave up on that because theft is not really happening much and because it was MORE of a hassle to make people wait to have their bag tags checked.

Also, the USA has far more airports, and was built around a domestic concept. Many smaller countries, you are dealing with a mixed domestic and international use, so the baggage claim became more traditionally enclosed.

1. Why are the arrivals and departures boards listed alphabetically whereas the rest of the world uses chronological listings?

Depends on the airport. Small airports will list by time and put all the airlines on one system. DAY, SRQ, PBI, etc.

Larger airports, where airlines have their OWN system, will list by destination/origin because those airports often have so many flights leaving close to each other, it's MORE likely you would read the wrong gate from the wrong line.

But even a big place like LAX will do the time based list for TBIT. At least that 's how I remember it...
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

YYZYYT

Sat May 05, 2007 4:58 am

Many Canadian cites permit this either outright (I am thinging of smaller airports like YTS) or have a separation but no real attempt to enforce it (thinking of YYT, YQB, YUL andf YYZ off the top of my head). Either no door closing off the baggage area, or if there is a door, people wait until the door is open for someone to leave, then walk through. Except for several months following 9/11 when a security guard was posted at the baggage area, it has been that way for years.

I can see the point of this (I have even done this myself), for example 2 days ago when my wife (7 mo pregnant) landed in YYZ with a 2 year old toddler, lugging car seat, purse, diaper bag and laptop... having someone to help her manage
it all (and her 2 suitcases) was quite necessary.

Also at YYT, if you need an elevator, you need to exit into the non-secure area to get down to baggage hall... luckily
you can just walk back in with the rest of the public.

Though I appreciate it when they check tags (happens very rarely).

Also, maybe not all standy in the traditional sense: missed/changed connections, people seeking earlier flights, FF's looking for upgrades, people seeking or needing to have their seats re-assigned (e.g, to it together or equipment change on a connection).

All of these are examples of regular ticketed passengers who need assistnace from the gate agent who often take their boarding passes while sorting out the situation. Then passengers get called to come get their boarding passes - thus appearing to be standby

ER757

Sat May 05, 2007 5:49 am

Was just in HNL recently and the screens on the Ewa concourse listed the flights chronologically. While it was a pain to find my flight, I did enjoy being able to scan incoming flight times so I could go to the windows and photograph a few that I didn't previously have shots of (Jetstar A330, PR A340 were two that come to mind). On the whole, I do prefer the alpha listings for reasons others have mentioned.

Quoting RoseFlyer (Reply 8):
So if you don't have checked luggage and see an earlier flight, you can go to the gate and get on it. There are exceptions like WN, who don't allow it.

I've been able to catch an earlier flight on WN several times - when did they start dis-allowing this practice? Was it recently? Last time I tried was last October or so.

mjgallacher

Sat May 05, 2007 6:09 am

Glasgow and Edinburgh Domestic arrivals are both areas where you can walk in off the street and choose a couple of bags should you wish! It has been handy though when picking up my female flatmates with big bags.

DavidT

Sat May 05, 2007 6:13 am

Quoting BAflyer (Reply 11):

I prefer chronological!! I like being able to weigh up how long there is to my flight, and watch its progress up the board, when its near the top I know I need to keep a look out for the gate info etc.

Kuna

Sat May 05, 2007 6:22 am

I work for Pinnacle Airlines (Northwest Airlink) you tell a Platinum/SkyTeam Elite that they can't take their questionable bag on board. You will have a complaint against you faster than you could check someone in. Even though, those people know the rules, and do a pretty good job following them. Some choose to play the I am an Elite I can do whatever I want card.

I personally hate when I cannot put my carryon (laptop) in the overhead because they are jammed packed with to large bag. Thats why I for one, make sure I check those that are above the size limit, or manual tag the bags that are to large to be gate checked at the gate. That always makes people happy as well....
Pinnacle Airlines

Analog

Sat May 05, 2007 6:43 am

Because the rest of the world is backwards and has computers that are incapable of doing alphabetical sorting operations. Big grin Perhaps this is the reason; computer systems store flights sorted by time, and the display designers were too lazy or resource restricted to sort the flights?

Maybe it's also easier for speakers of different languages. The originally scheduled flight time is always the same (except maybe in Arabic), but the names of cities can be written differently... That sounds good enough that, if I had said it with authority, people would believe it as fact.

Two reasons for 4 are that people like to be able to do 3 and are afraid of 2. Going earlier on standby is harder/impossible if you're checking bags.

Also, if you're traveling for 2 days, the 30-60 minutes saved not waiting for bags (or hours if things were to go wrong) is not trivial. The large possibility of lost/delayed luggage is another reason. There's no way that I'd get on an aircraft wiithout everything that I need for at least the first day after arrival. I don't understand why people tolerate the 7kg carry-on restrictions of some European/Aus/NZ/Asian carriers. My relatively light rollaboard is about 4.5kg; 2.5kg is not enough, unless the flight is a flight home. Nor is 2.5kg enough to hold everything that the airlines tell me not to put in checked bags (computer, camera, and other electronics and valuables).

I do wish the airlines would strictly (within reason) enforce the 1 + 1 (+1 camera/medical) carry-on limit. That way people wouldn't have trouble with legal carryons.

I just replaced my 22" Samsonite rollaboard with a 21" Delsey because the 22" one didn't fit correctly (head in) into the CO 737 overheads. Don't you wish everyone did things like this.  angel 

kingcavalier

Sat May 05, 2007 7:01 am

Doesn't it seem most of the world uses military time? Most passengers in the US have no idea what 1530 means. Of course, we reject the metric system as well.

http://www.myaviation.net/search/photo_search.php?id=01038197
Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness

Goodbye

Sat May 05, 2007 7:08 am

Here's another one...why do some tiny little regional airports call themselves ".................. International"? Wishful thinking?

Max777geek

Sat May 05, 2007 7:10 am

Quoting Chase (Reply 4):
1) I also prefer it alphabetical. Don't know why it hasn't caught on elsewhere.

With regards of memorizing the city you're going, this comes handy if there is one daily flight or none in close hours. If you get 4 flights with different companies this might be confusing, and probably have more wrong people at the wrong gate than with time listings. It could be ok in small airports with few traffic but big hubs with several daily flights to the same destinations that might be confusing.

burnsie28

Sat May 05, 2007 7:28 am

Because that makes sense, ask a lot of people about their connecting flight, and without looking at the flight time on the ticket they wouldn't know the exact time it left. Sometimes people are a couple hours off, also since airlines in the US are some of the largest in the world, there are flights that leave at the same time.

Domestic is, international isn't. Domestic some airports check claim tickets, LAX i know is one, ATL used to back in the day. International nobody can get to but the passengers.

3. Why do so many people end up at the gate on a standby list? I understand the concept of overselling flights but I thought that you get your boarding card at the check-in area if you are on standby - not at the gate

A lot of airline employees fly, and stand-by is if there is a open seat, sometimes they don't know this until a minute or two before the door closes, some of those stand-bys are also just people looking to upgrade to first class.

Simple, your allowed one personal item and a carry on, if that personal item can fit in the seat in front of you its fine.. just a lot of people throw all their stuff in the overhead bin.

airbazar

Sat May 05, 2007 7:46 am

Quoting ANother (Reply 27):
Security? No, I don't think so and in any case at LHR the posting of the gate an hour or so before departure has been in effect since at least the 70s, if not longer - predating most security concerns.

Either I was informed incorrectly or you're special  Smile What I was told just a few months ago in LHR when I was transfering between flights and the departure gate was not yet posted was that "for security resons we won't post the departure gate information until about 20 minutes before boarding". And it wasn't just my flight. Just about every flight more than 20 minutes away from boarding did not have the gate information displayed.

BMIFlyer

Sat May 05, 2007 7:54 am

Because what the average american citizen wants, he/she gets  Wink

No offence to my american friends  Smile
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

N2DCaves

Sat May 05, 2007 8:06 am

International simply means that customs is available...IIRC.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein

deltairlines

Sat May 05, 2007 8:25 am

Simple - I don't want to deal with wasting my time getting to the airport early and then having to wait for my bag to come out. For example, a few weeks ago I had to go to LAS for one night. I had a 700a flight. If I had checked my bag, I would have had to be at the airport a lot earlier (I can arrive at the curb 30 minutes before departure and not sweat it). That extra 30 minutes of sleep is great in the morning. As for arrival at LAS, I was in the taxi line 10 minutes after touchdown. Took the shuttle to the terminal and hopped in a cab.

This weekend, I need to go to PHL for the weekend. Same situation as above. Not going to bother checking my bag when I can simply carry it on and save myself a lot of time sleeping or with my family (and in PHL's case, not letting the bag handlers touch it with the success rate, or lack therof, at that airport).

For business travellers, time is money. It's a lot more practical to carry on my suitcase (which is the maximum size allowed under carry-on regs for every US airline) than for me to go through the hassle of checking it. If you want to be guarenteed space for your bag, board early. If you're not an elite, know what seats board first - often in the back of the plane, as the front will be filled up by the time you board if you're not elite.

motopolitico

Sat May 05, 2007 8:56 am

1. Frequent Cancellations and delays. The bane of US Air Travel. As much as the English complain about their weather, it just doesn't get nearly as severe very often. Of course, as lousy as Amtrak and VIARail may be, I've NEVER heard of a delay for "leaves on the line" when using the trains on THIS side of the pond.

2. Baggage areas ARE closed to the public in International Arrivals terminals. Just that pre- Schengen (sp?) European airports had a much higher proportion of international travellers, and it probably made infrastructural sense to do things in that way. I've always hated the stupid bottleneck of "passing out the security doors" when I've gotten my luggage upon arrival at LHR or LGW. My first time in the UK, (1997 the day after Diana's funeral) T3 at Heathrow has a dreadful bottleneck getting "out the doors". T4 was often an improvement, but still a bottleneck. Why even bother with that on domestic flights? Gatwick South (Chav) Terminal is a luggage system I simply do not comprehend.

3. Good question! I hear European carriers treat their non-revvers much, much, much better than that, indeed. KLM?

4. You must have been flying US Air through Philly. Check your bags and watch what happens.... If you're not HP/US whatever precious metal Elite with a priority tag on your luggage, odds are very heavily in favor of your bag not making the next flight. If only the airlines truly knew how much this aggravates pax! I truly believe this is the reason why folks love WN, to the chagrin of some very vocal denizens of this board. I know that what I check on WN will make it to my destinaiton, and as I watch the rampers, my bag is usually on the plane before I am, single engine taxi means that the rampers can open the bins on the right hand side the moment the plane stops moving. About half the time, my bag is at the carousel waiting by the time I get there. I LUV watching the WN rampers do their thing. It is truly beautiful.

5. So, if the flight is full, with many passengers flying standby (Q.3 above) would you volunteer to be kicked off so Fatty can have his two seats?
Garbage stinks; trash don't!

ikramerica

Sat May 05, 2007 11:21 am

Quoting BMIFlyer (Reply 43):
No offence to my american friends

Hey, that's a good thing. The majority of travelers prefer to have an open baggage check area, so that's what we have. And theft is not really high. Airlines are willing to take the bite and occasionally have to compensate for a stolen bag vs. paying for the security checkpoints and the complaints.

IAH terminal C, for example, is designed to prevent access to all the luggage claim belts, but the dividers are rarely ever manned, so you can walk through. But I have had my tag checked twice in the many years I've been flying there, so maybe when there is an increase in theft, they put it up for a while?

But I have never had a bag taken, and I like being able to meet people and help them with their luggage.

US system also generally has rental car desks in the same place, which is great because you can deal with that while waiting for your bags if the lines have a lull. That's a real time saver over being forced to wait idly for your bags, then all rush to the rental desks and wait in more lines.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

Newark777

Sat May 05, 2007 11:28 am

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 47):
But I have never had a bag taken

We once made it all the way home with someone else's bag in the trunk. Thankfully, they had our bag as well, and a quick phone call and a visit to their house cleared the whole thing up. Could have been a lot worse.  Smile

Quoting Goodbye (Reply 39):
Here's another one...why do some tiny little regional airports call themselves ".................. International"? Wishful thinking?

My friends and I all joke that ABE has one B1900 flight to Canada a day, and they call themselves Lehigh Valley International. In reality, I believe the customs explanation given before is correct.

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

kingcavalier

Sat May 05, 2007 11:30 am

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 47):
IAH terminal C, for example, is designed to prevent access to all the luggage claim belts, but the dividers are rarely ever manned, so you can walk through. But I have had my tag checked twice in the many years I've been flying there, so maybe when there is an increase in theft, they put it up for a while?

It looks like some baggage handlers (CO maybe) in IAH were doing some Christmas shopping last year.

http://consumerist.com/consumer/airp...ggage-found-in-dumpster-224542.php
Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness