EL-AL
Topic Author

OA Jet On Full Power While Not On The Runway

Mon May 07, 2007 7:11 pm

Hey Guys,

Last month I been to Athens, Greece, flying TLV - ATH so as ATH - TLV with Olympic Airways B734.

On the way back I noticed something for the first time. The pilot was taxing us to the western runway, and AS HE WAS STILL TAXING the pilot pushed the engines to full power, while the 734 was not yet on the runway!

There is a 90 degrees turn between the taxiway to the runway, and I noticed (I was sitting on a window seat) the the plane moved to full throttle engines mode while still turning to the runway, not on the very end of the turn but most of the 90 degrees turn was done while the engines worked full power.

Later on, the jet was on the runway and took off immediately, without stopping on the runway.

This is the first time I saw such a thing.

(I flew on sunday night, April 22nd 2007, ATH-TLV, SX-BKB with OA as said)
every day is a good day to fly

philb

RE: OA Jet On Full Power While Not On The Runway

Mon May 07, 2007 7:22 pm

! it is unlikely that for take off on such a trip that full power would be used unless the circunstances were exceptional. Most airlines, for reasons of economy, don't use full power on take off.

2. A rolling take off which involves turning onto the runway and increasing poewer to the take off setting whilst lining up and then continuimg the roll into the take off is by no means unusal. It is done when traffic is heavy or the aircraft taking off is tight on time for its slot. The crew will have performed pre take off checks and will be happy with the engine performance prior to turning onto the runway - I've even been on widebodies that have done this, particularly in the USA.

3. It would be impossible for you to tell what the power setting was at anytime from a passenger seat. Also, most aircraft use greater power setting to get them around corners.

OA260

Mon May 07, 2007 7:34 pm

Quoting EL-AL (Thread starter):
Later on, the jet was on the runway and took off immediately, without stopping on the runway.

LOL....the Greeks dont hang around !!! This happened a few times on my LHR - ATH flights . You dont seem to stop and it seems like they are on full power but its not really on full power just seems like it. Makes for a good take off though!!!

sfuk

Tue May 08, 2007 12:38 am

Welcome to Greek aviation!!

I was flying from LHR - ATH last summer. It was on the late night flight, was meant to leave LHR at around 22.30
For whatever reason we were delayed for about 20mins. They must have been on a tight schedule because before the last few passengers were sat down the doors were closed and we'd started our pushback!

Still a good airline!

Stu

BMIFlyer

Tue May 08, 2007 12:48 am

Yeah this is a rolling takeoff.

Sometimes ATC will tell the pilots to do this, if traffic is busy  Smile

Lee
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

cy319

Tue May 08, 2007 7:31 am

OA and CY often do it and it is pure fun  Smile
Their planes do not stop for a second when turning from taxiway to the runway for take off.
wanna be travel buddies ,sex buddies .. or both ?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos