ord

LA Times: Delta To Add 37 Flights At LAX

Tue May 08, 2007 2:58 am

Interesting article in today's LA Times, saying a LAX expansion announcement by Delta is expected this week:

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...830921.story?page=1&track=ntothtml

According to the article flights will be boosted 60%, from the current 62 departures to 99.

deltagator

RE: LA Times: Delta To Add 37 Flights At LAX

Tue May 08, 2007 3:01 am

How much if these will be intra-California flights or flights to the Motherlands of Mexico and Latin America using Barbie Jets?

Of course it iwll make a nice hopping off point for flights to Sydney and other places Down Under one day.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

PacificWest

Tue May 08, 2007 3:23 am

I think they have a good shot at breaking into the Northwest - California market. I think it'd be great if they experimented with an LAX - EUG/MFR/RDM. People already love their SLC flights and most people fly Delta when heading out East. I think Miles and brand recognition is no longer a problem for them in the PNW.

Evan767

Tue May 08, 2007 3:28 am

OHhh this is exciting.
The proper term is "on final" not "on finals" bud...

PanAm747

Tue May 08, 2007 3:36 am

Quote:
I think they have a good shot at breaking into the Northwest - California market.

I would wish them luck on that, but considering that UA and AS have that market fairly well controlled (even WN doesn't really compete on that one!!), I think they'll find that their SLC connecting point works better than trying some of the point-to-point routes.

Quote:
Delta is planning a significant increase at LAX, particularly to destinations in Latin America and Asia.

Quote:
"We've decided to make L.A. our second Latin America gateway,"

"Again" he should have said - they had the LAX market when they took over Western, but gave it away. Maybe they can recapture what they had...

What Asian destinations might they be going after? And do they have the aircraft (777) to do it?
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

kaitak744

Tue May 08, 2007 3:42 am

Quoting PanAm747 (Reply 4):
What Asian destinations might they be going after? And do they have the aircraft (777) to do it?

How many 777 capable gates does T5 have?

SLCUT2777

Tue May 08, 2007 3:49 am

"Again" he should have said - they had the LAX market when they took over Western, but gave it away. Maybe they can recapture what they had...

Ronald W. Allen piddled it away during his tenure, and Leo downsized it even more. UA , AS and AA were the winners here. I actually think LAX will resume being the DL gateway to the Hawaiian Islands, as direct service is moved to California from SLC in the coming months.
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

Evan767

Tue May 08, 2007 3:57 am

I keep hearing, "Delta will bring back meal service." Is this true or what?

Alitalia744

Tue May 08, 2007 4:02 am

Quoting Evan767 (Reply 7):

Time will tell  Wink
Some see lines, others see between the lines.

GlobalATL

Tue May 08, 2007 4:22 am

keep hearing, "Delta will bring back meal service." Is this true or what?

Quoting Alitalia744 (Reply 8):
Time will tell

I'm just dreaming here but wouldn't life be so much better if hot meals in the main cabin were offered, again.
TriStar BusinessElite FedEx AirTran Delta Air Lines oneworld SkyTeam JetBlue/jetBlue MAXjet SkyMiles Eos = good spelling

InnocuousFox

Tue May 08, 2007 4:41 am

Quoting GlobalATL (Reply 9):
I'm just dreaming here but wouldn't life be so much better if hot meals in the main cabin were offered, again.

I'm just dreaming here, but wouldn't life be so much better if half the airline capacity in this country was not operating in bankruptcy again?
Dave Mark - Intrinsic Algorithm - Reducing the world to mathematical equations!

Evan767

Tue May 08, 2007 4:43 am

"Passengers will notice the difference inside the planes as well, said Joanne Smith, Delta senior vice president for in-flight services. "We are to create a better on-board experience," she said. The airline will equip all long-haul planes with in-seat TVs, bring back meal service and install lie-flat seats in first class."

And then from forbes a couple of days ago:
http://www.forbes.com/free_forbes/2007/0521/044.html?partner=yahoomag
"Grinstein is now adding back comforts, services and perks eliminated at other airlines. He's ripping out seats in its mainline jets and adding new leather ones with expanded legroom. Passengers get free HBO (movies, The Sopranos, etc.) on seat-back digital screens. They can also plug in headsets and browse 10,000 songs. Coach customers on flights of 1,750 miles or more get one complimentary alcoholic beverage and full meal service."

GlobalATL

Tue May 08, 2007 5:15 am

Quoting Evan767 (Reply 11):
Coach customers on flights of 1,750 miles or more get one complimentary alcoholic beverage and full meal service."

Gottcha...thx
TriStar BusinessElite FedEx AirTran Delta Air Lines oneworld SkyTeam JetBlue/jetBlue MAXjet SkyMiles Eos = good spelling

positiverate

Tue May 08, 2007 5:32 am

Passengers will notice the difference inside the planes as well, said Joanne Smith, Delta senior vice president for in-flight services. "We are to create a better on-board experience," she said. The airline will equip all long-haul planes with in-seat TVs, bring back meal service and install lie-flat seats in first class."

And then from forbes a couple of days ago:
http://www.forbes.com/free_forbes/2007/0521/044.html?partner=yahoomag
"Grinstein is now adding back comforts, services and perks eliminated at other airlines. He's ripping out seats in its mainline jets and adding new leather ones with expanded legroom. Passengers get free HBO (movies, The Sopranos, etc.) on seat-back digital screens. They can also plug in headsets and browse 10,000 songs. Coach customers on flights of 1,750 miles or more get one complimentary alcoholic beverage and full meal service."

There's another thread going on "Change". Try posting there. Delta Launches "Change" (by Alitalia744 May 7 2007 in Civil Aviation)

Back to the topic at hand. Had they closed the LAX pilot/FA base during the post 9/11 cuts, or is it still intact? Should make it easier to quickly ramp up flights if they hadn't.

AADC10

Tue May 08, 2007 5:46 am

Expanding at LAX is risky, but DL's Pacific routes are really weak. WN dominates short haul domestic and both AA and UA have large operations. I guess the opportunity is that nobody dominates. The other coastal cities are dominated by one airline or another, except maybe SAN, which has no room to grow and PDX, which is the smallest major city.

I would see DL attempting to use LAX as an international gateway. They need to build up the feed but LAX has relatively few non-stop Pacific routes on domestic carrier, considering the size of the demand. Of course the Pacific routes are dominated by highly rated Asian carriers so it would be tough to take market share from them.

fewsolarge

Tue May 08, 2007 5:52 am

Quoting Positiverate (Reply 13):
Had they closed the LAX pilot/FA base during the post 9/11 cuts, or is it still intact?

Still intact, and the pilot base is being converted to multiple-variant flying for the B757/763/764 fleets.

cba

Tue May 08, 2007 6:10 am

You can still get that right now if you fly CO. I got a free hot meal on my recent BOS-IAH and IAH-JFK flights.

planecrazy2

Tue May 08, 2007 6:41 am

Grinstein is now adding back comforts, services and perks eliminated at other airlines. He's ripping out seats in its mainline jets and adding new leather ones with expanded legroom. Passengers get free HBO (movies, The Sopranos, etc.) on seat-back digital screens. They can also plug in headsets and browse 10,000 songs. Coach customers on flights of 1,750 miles or more get one complimentary alcoholic beverage and full meal service.

Full meal service is great news, it's pathetic you can fly UA ORD-HNL and not get a full meal. Hopefully other carriers will follow Delta's lead and bring it back too.
United Airlines - Worldwide Service

SANFan

Tue May 08, 2007 7:14 am

Quoting AADC10 (Reply 14):
I guess the opportunity is that nobody dominates. The other coastal cities are dominated by one airline or another, except maybe SAN, which has no room to grow

I beg to differ on your statement 'DC10 about SAN. Just about 35% of all pax out of Lindbergh Field fly WN; the second biggest op there is currently UA with about 12% of the traffic out of SAN -- that's 1/3 of the number carried by WN!

On a per-market basis, the majority of routes served from SAN are monopolies as most service is to the various hubs. Just this year we have finally seen competition begin on several routes for the first time (or at least the first time in a very long time): ATL (FL joins DL), BOI (QX joins XE), BOS (B6 joins AA), GEG (QX joins XE), SLC (B6 joins DL) and last fall AS (temporarily) entered the SFO (UA) market (but there should be new competition for UA in that market again soon.)

Actually, Delta in SAN has seen more new competition than most (to ATL and SLC) so I would love to see them return the favor and perhaps pro-actively start stepping on some toes themselves, such as, AS's toes to PDX/SEA, maybe AA's and B6's to BOS, HA's tanned toes to HNL, almost any Florida route , a Mexico route or 2, etc., etc. Also, DL has access to about 5 gates at SAN (most of them now shared with others since DL ops are at a paltry 14 flights) so they could certainly add a few flights without a problem.

I can dream, can't I?

bb

[Edited 2007-05-08 00:18:48]

Arcrftlvr

Tue May 08, 2007 7:39 am

It will be a novelty initially, but then after a while, people go back to complaining about how terrible the food is...It's the circle of life.

TBCITDG

Tue May 08, 2007 7:39 am

So could we also see a LAX - SYD service offered by Delta?

JetBlueAUS

105b RE: LA Times: Delta To Add 37 Flights At LAX

Tue May 08, 2007 7:44 am

I think, as time goes on, Delta will become one of the top tier US legacy carrier again. (along with Continental) Which is great because they are both SkyTeam members.
Not all of us can be heroes, some of us can only stand on the sidewalk and clap as they go by.

worldtraveler

Tue May 08, 2007 7:49 am

DL is positioning LAX as a global gateway - regional service on the west coast, mainline service across the US and to Hawaii, transpac service to Asia and the South Pacfic, a major gateway to Latin America (and not just RJs to Mexico), and a few choice routes to Europe.

It should be obvious that DL is thinking big and taking advantage of its financial strength and available aircraft and facilities to expand into key global markets around the world.

Anyone can file for BK but it takes real vision to take the advantage gained in BK and translate it into market leadership. AA is in the midst of a service meltdown and employee disdain that has ruined many airlines. UA has few aircraft to expand with and has high costs. DL would be a fool not to go after LAX.

DL will certainly get EZE from JFK and probably will add NRT in a year or two on top of LHR, leaving AA with no network advantages in JFK.

Lots of people thought I was blowing smoke all the time I said that DL would emerge and be a strong global competitor. Given that DL has

worldtraveler

Tue May 08, 2007 7:52 am

USER PROFILE SEND INSTANT MSG ADD TO RESP MEMBERS SUGGEST DELETION QUOTE SELECTED TEXT _

WorldTraveler From United States, joined Aug 2003, 2570 posts, RR: 10
Reply 22, posted Mon May 7 2007 18:49:07 your local time (8 secs ago) and read 0 times:

DL is positioning LAX as a global gateway - regional service on the west coast, mainline service across the US and to Hawaii, transpac service to Asia and the South Pacfic, a major gateway to Latin America (and not just RJs to Mexico), and a few choice routes to Europe.

It should be obvious that DL is thinking big and taking advantage of its financial strength and available aircraft and facilities to expand into key global markets around the world.

Anyone can file for BK but it takes real vision to take the advantage gained in BK and translate it into market leadership. AA is in the midst of a service meltdown and employee disdain that has ruined many airlines. UA has few aircraft to expand with and has high costs. DL would be a fool not to go after LAX.

DL will certainly get EZE from JFK and probably will add NRT in a year or two on top of LHR, leaving AA with no network advantages in JFK.

Lots of people thought I was blowing smoke all the time I said that DL would emerge and be a strong global competitor. Given what DL has accomplished at JFK, it isn't hard to think that they can do what they want in LAX.

[Edited 2007-05-08 00:53:45]

nycfly75

Tue May 08, 2007 7:53 am

Any hope for European routes from LAX for DL?

AirTranTUS

Tue May 08, 2007 8:08 am

Coach customers on flights of 1,750 miles or more get one complimentary alcoholic beverage and full meal service."

Here is a map of a 1750nm radius around ATL. It is nice they are bringing back meals, for ATL-LAX, SFO, SEA, and PDX. It looks like LAX barely makes it. They seem to be playing it careful. If it catches on, they could expand it.

I love ASO!

PacificWest

Tue May 08, 2007 8:09 am

Quoting AADC10 (Reply 14):
n

I agree that it'd be tough breaking into PDX or SEA... But I honestly think they'd have a shot at the smaller Northwest/California cities. These are dominated by EMB's and Dash8's, and people crave jet service.

I know MFR used to have CRJ7 service to Los Angeles on QX, but they decided to switch it to 2x DH4's which the normies don't like... QX commonly charges around $450-500 for these flights, which is a little ridiculous IMO, and i'm sure they're making a killing.

jetdeltamsy

Tue May 08, 2007 8:20 am

'

Gave it away?

Delta lost the battle for the Los Angeles market to Southwest, as did USAir and (to some degree) United. Delta could not compete on price with Southwest so assets were deployed where it was though they could earn money.

Delta's retreat from Los Angeles was pretty much the beginning of shift in S.O.P with Delta pulling out of unprofitable markets. Until the merger with Western, Delta management's tendency was to enter a market and stay put, whether losing money or not. As Delta was at one time, an airline people (especially business travelers) chose to fly it was rare to see the company pull out of any market they entered..especially where they were already firmly established (like LA).

Southwest blowing into California as rapidly as they did saw the decline of all major airline West Coast operations except Alaska Airlines'.

[Edited 2007-05-08 01:28:05]
Tired of airline bankruptcies....EA/PA/TW and finally DL.

Evan767

Tue May 08, 2007 8:22 am

Still though guys, I don't know how reliable forbes is. I would hate to see this not be true. Anyway, AirTranTUS, the range isn't 1750nm, but 1750m.

jfk777

Tue May 08, 2007 8:31 am

I would love to see a few 777 international departures from LAX for Delta, regardless of ocean. Tokyo is served by Korean, two Japanesse & three USA airlines, no room left at that in. Seoul and CDG would be good for DL, right to the heart of two SKYTEAM airlines. LHR is full, HKG and the Australian market have some interesting possibilities. Where ever DL fliesI hope they enter with a strategic advantage.

worldtraveler

Tue May 08, 2007 8:42 am

DL retreated from LAX because it thought it was safer to build ATL while retreating from key global markets. Someone realized you can't be a global airline and not serve the top world air routes.

Quoting Jfk777 (Reply 29):
Where ever DL fliesI hope they enter with a strategic advantage.

the best balance sheet among the network carriers, the lowest CASM on a mileage adjusted basis, relatively happy employees who are delivering reasonably good service, and a boatload of 767s to deploy is most definitely an advantage.

kaitak744

Tue May 08, 2007 8:52 am

Tokyo is served by Korean, two Japanesse & three USA airlines, no room left at that in.

LAX-Tokyo is also served by Singapore Airlines with a 744.

If Delta were to enter LAX-NRT, it would not hurt. Thai pulled out not too long ago, and their flights were quite full. However, I do not see them getting slots.

Seoul and CDG would be good for DL, right to the heart of two SKYTEAM airlines.

Seoul- Yes. No U.S. airline flies LAX-ICN, yet foreign airlines have 4-5 daily flights.
Paris- offering SKYTEAM connections from CDG-LAX is pointless. Who will fly CDG-LAX-LAS? LAX is out of the way for connections from European flights.

LHR is full,

So? New airlines pop up all the time at LHR. The (limited amount of) slots at LHR are traded more actively than the slots at NRT. If Delta plays it right, They could get a few. However, I see them doing JFK-LHR and ATL-LHR before LAX-LHR.

HKG and the Australian market have some interesting possibilities. Where ever DL fliesI hope they enter with a strategic advantage.

HKG-Yes. Good connections to offer from LAX. Not much competition.
SYD-definitely. With their new business attitude, hopefully they will get new superior in-flight products and kick United off that route. (against Qantas, Virgin Blue, and a new Delta, United will not stand a chance)

FriendlySkies

Tue May 08, 2007 9:10 am

Quoting Kaitak744 (Reply 31):
United will not stand a chance

Umm...isn't UA revamping their international product this fall? I can only assume it will include service updates, especially in light of DL's plans.

UA has a very competive product, they just need to work on keeping it consistent. A new, more forward-thinking management team would help with that...

flydreamliner

Tue May 08, 2007 9:16 am

Quoting WorldTraveler (Reply 30):

the best balance sheet among the network carriers, the lowest CASM on a mileage adjusted basis, relatively happy employees who are delivering reasonably good service, and a boatload of 767s to deploy is most definitely an advantage.

Boatload of 767s to deploy? Let's be honest here, DL"s fleet is maxed out more than any other US carrier. They have 8 777s which are worked to the absolute max, they have a lot of 767s, but they have only limited range, and are maxed out with the route expansion, DL is going to need new metal in a hurry to keep up this growth, and that's a fact.
"Let the world change you, and you can change the world"

Evan767

Tue May 08, 2007 9:34 am

Quoting FlyDreamliner (Reply 33):
Boatload of 767s to deploy? Let's be honest here, DL"s fleet is maxed out more than any other US carrier. They have 8 777s which are worked to the absolute max, they have a lot of 767s, but they have only limited range, and are maxed out with the route expansion, DL is going to need new metal in a hurry to keep up this growth, and that's a fact.

Yup, a boatload. Delta STILL has 13 764's in domestic configuration flying domestic routes. Expect at least 8 of those to go international. That means at least 8 free 763's. Also, Delta is receiving 752's from AA, I forget how many, but it's in the teens. These will be deployed on Western Europe routes out of JFK. JFK-DUB/SNN/MAN/BRU/AMS, etc. That will free up quite a few 763's as well. ALSO, Delta has some domestic 763's that are capable to go overseas. So, yeah I'd call that a boatload. And that's a fact. Delta still has plenty more expanding opportunities, and is no where near as maxed out as an airline like USAirways that deploys narrowbodies on domestic routes.

whosee

Tue May 08, 2007 9:37 am

Whatever happened to LAX-SJC service that was supposed to start in Feb? All the other intra CA flights started (SFO, OAK, SMF) was there not enough demand even on a RJ?  Confused

ContinentalEWR

Tue May 08, 2007 9:39 am

Adding intra-California and intra-West Coast flights will result in Delta's bruising. Competition is stiff, with WN, AS, UA, US, and to a much lesser extent, AA, having numerous flights in several markets. Adding nonstops to Asia is also questionable, given the already large competition from LAX and SFO.

Latin America however, makes some sense. Competition is limited and the opportunities for growth are big.

sea2pdx

Tue May 08, 2007 9:40 am

Quoting PacificWest (Reply 26):
I know MFR used to have CRJ7 service to Los Angeles on QX, but they decided to switch it to 2x DH4's which the normies don't like... QX commonly charges around $450-500 for these flights, which is a little ridiculous IMO, and i'm sure they're making a killing.

MFR will have one Q400 flight a day to LAX replaced by a CR7 this summer. And are you sure about those fares? I haven't checked MFR's fares, but the walk-up full Y EUG-LAX hovers around $350 one way. And let me tell you, the MFR-LAX flights are packed, so if QX can get $450-500 for a ticket, why wouldn't they? And just as a reference, a full Y EUG-SEA r/t ticket costs $500. There are pleanty of passengers that are not being turned away at that fare.

jetdeltamsy

Tue May 08, 2007 10:25 am

Quoting Kaitak744 (Reply 31):
. If Delta plays it right, They could get a few. However,

Open Skies will have to go into affect before Delta can the UK @ LHR.

It has nothing to do with how they "play it".
Tired of airline bankruptcies....EA/PA/TW and finally DL.

fewsolarge

Tue May 08, 2007 10:44 am

Quoting Evan767 (Reply 28):
the range isn't 1750nm, but 1750m.

And that radius will shrink as they can afford to fund the continuing renewal.

worldtraveler

Tue May 08, 2007 11:24 am

Who says how many carriers can serve a market before it's saturated? If DL offers a competitive product, garner competitive revenues, and can do it cheaper than other carriers, it will take business. AA and UA both have considerably higher costs than DL - and yet DL's domestic revenue is now very close to industry average.

If you have any doubts about DL's ability to push its way into competitive markets, you might look at what they have accomplished in Latin America and at JFK over the past couple years. DL is now a solid #2 to S. America and still growing and has the schedule and is getting the revenues to be a serious player in all of the markets it competes w/ AA w/ out of JFK.

Granted, AA seems to be in a service meltdown mode right now but DL seems to be having no problem getting into very competitive markets and doing very well.

OzarkD9S

Tue May 08, 2007 11:30 am

I wonder if DL will reinstate DFW-LAX. Do they still have enough customer loyalty in the Metroplex to renter the market, this time with DFW as a spoke rather than the other way around?
Next up: STL-OAK-RNO-LAS-ICT-STL

deltasju777

Tue May 08, 2007 11:37 am

Quote:
Delta is planning a significant increase at LAX, particularly to destinations in Latin America and Asia

Does Delta have the aircraft to make it to Asia, or will these announcements come following an aircraft order. I Think they could make South America work from LAX, maybe even some of the more popular destinations in the Carribean (SJU). I hope there will be an announcement soon.

AeroWesty

Tue May 08, 2007 11:58 am

Quoting Jetdeltamsy (Reply 27):
Delta lost the battle for the Los Angeles market to Southwest, as did USAir and (to some degree) United.

Southwest didn't operate anything intra-California other than SFO-SAN until May '91, and didn't even announce their expansion until USAir had committed to pulling out. (I believe it's even in Kelleher's book "Nuts" that he mentions it.) DL began cutting back destinations out of LAX long before WN became a player. For an indication of how much DL has pulled back out of LAX over the years, this is the last route map WA published before the DL takeover (jet service to FAT even!):

International Homo of Mystery

JRDC930

Tue May 08, 2007 12:47 pm

Yeah youll have to pay an extra ten bucks on top of the already expensive airfare...  Angry I dont know why airlines dont just integrate the cost of a meal into the ticket so that you at least have the illusion of getting a "free" meal instaid of that Buy on board crap. Oh well at least DL is expanding at my home airport, maybe prices to Mexico will get a bit more competitive finaly, and maybe i wont have to make 2 lousy connections every time i go somewhere in asia. Good for DL.  Smile
U.S. Legacy carriers,STILL leaders in lowering industry standards...

PlanenutzTB

Tue May 08, 2007 1:30 pm

At what point does LAX become a DL hub? As DL finacial strenght grows, will DFW again become a hub in the DL system? Very happy to see Delta returning to it's former glory!
I am extraordinarily patient, provided I get my own way in the end.

kaitak744

Tue May 08, 2007 2:09 pm

So, does anyone know the gate break-down at LAX terminal 5? (number of 767 gates, number of 777 gates, ect).

LAXintl

Tue May 08, 2007 2:44 pm

Quoting Kaitak744 (Reply 46):
So, does anyone know the gate break-down at LAX terminal 5?

I dont have an updated list of max aircraft types, however DL current gate set up in T-5 is as follows.

50B
51A
51B
52A
53A
54A
54B
53B
55A/B
58A/B
59A/B

The A/B gates are single gates however with different anglesdlead-in lines for narrow or widebody equipment.

In addition some gates become unusable if widebodies are parked on an adjacent, so there is a definite need to mix/match types to avoid blocking gates needlessly.

Interestingly with DL's recent build up, they have been out of gates during late evening hours, and have had to resort to arriving RJ flights down at the maintenance ramps and busing passengers. To remedy this DL has slowly booted all contract airlines out and now only left with Air Jamaica whom is rumored to be leaving during the summer now that its code-share with DL has been discontinued anyhow.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

exusair

Tue May 08, 2007 2:50 pm

Start moving some CRJ-900 flying to LAX.

Add DFW, BOI, PHX, DEN, MCI, GEG, ABQ on the CRJ-700/900.

Add SJO, PTY,KOA, LIH with 757 service.

Introduce 757-200's former TWA/AA with B/E seating on transcons to JFK and reintroduce BizElite US service on these flights.

Introduce LIM-LAX on former TWA/AA 757-200's.

767-300ER LAX-NGO/KIX/FUK

vegas005

Tue May 08, 2007 5:06 pm

Quoting JRDC930 (Reply 44):

Recently I flew ZRH-DFW on AA seat 12 b, close to the galley. Right before the meal service I heard this conversation from the flight attendants in the galley. #1 .. What is this? #2 I don-t know.. #1 Is it chicken or pasta or what? #2 I don't know....it looks like chicken but it doesn't smell like it ..... I AM NOT MAKING THIS UP!! When the flight attendant came by with meal service I asked for the fillet ...she looked at me and said YOU are on the wrong airline honey!

Needless to say, on my return flight I ate a big meal before the flight.

So do I really need meal service on the plane? Not until the airlines return with some quality and identifiable menu items.