TG992
Topic Author

Air Tahiti Nui In Trouble?

Tue May 08, 2007 12:05 pm

Industry chit-chat within airline staff has it that Air Tahiti Nui is in big financial trouble, with consistently bad loads on their longhaul flights, and the government pulling funding.

One insider very very close to the action has given TN a year at most before they fold.

Any opinions?
-

copaair737

RE: Air Tahiti Nui In Trouble?

Tue May 08, 2007 12:08 pm

Wouldn't surprise me, I've heard that the loads are dreadful on a lot of their flights. It would be a shame though as they have some cool looking planes.

-Copa
Livin' on Reds, Vitamin C, and Cocaine

kdonohue

Tue May 08, 2007 12:12 pm

A friend recently flew them and was very complimentary of their service. Good service, though, doesn't always translate into a good balance sheet.

K.

bill142

Tue May 08, 2007 12:22 pm

Quoting TG992 (Thread starter):
Industry chit-chat within airline staff has it that Air Tahiti Nui is in big financial trouble, with consistently bad loads on their longhaul flights, and the government pulling funding.

One insider very very close to the action has given TN a year at most before they fold.

Well they rely on mainly tourists which isn't exactly going to be high yeilding. I don't think TN will go under as France will continue to prop them up as they're a vital link to the south pacific from France.

LAXintl

Tue May 08, 2007 12:33 pm

ATN has always been a loss leader for the islands since its launch. Financial support to prop the carrier has strong armed out of many island industries and the local government whom was insistent on its creation many will say for ego reasons.

At some point I would suspect people and companies will question the wisdom and ability to continue supporting a loss making operation year after year.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

maiznblu_757

Tue May 08, 2007 12:34 pm

Industry chit-chat within airline staff has it that Air Tahiti Nui is in big financial trouble

Honestly, I think these folks just talk about nonsense and wait for somebody to post on anet, grab the popcorn and laugh hysterically.

[Edited 2007-05-08 05:42:50]

QANTASforever

Tue May 08, 2007 12:41 pm

Air Tahiti Nui is in big financial trouble, with consistently bad loads

Tell me about it. I recently flew 4 sectors with them and all but one was extremely empty. Shame - great airline, brilliant service.

QFF
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

sccutler

Tue May 08, 2007 1:11 pm

Man. When I flew them, LAX-PPT, the A340s were sardine-can full- there was even one revenue passenger sitting on the jump seat in the back, next to the galley. immediately across from the lav door. Very close to the lav door.

While waiting to get my turn at the loo, I asked her what airline she worked for, presuming she was non-revving. She told me that she was not non-rev- that she had paid for the seat.

!!!

Imagine sitting on a jump-seat for a 13 hour flight.

===

But back on-topic, I surely hope TN can survive, as I was quite pleased with their service.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

EWRCabincrew

Tue May 08, 2007 1:28 pm

Quoting SCCutler (Reply 7):
Imagine sitting on a jump-seat for a 13 hour flight.

Been there, done that. Nothing new.

As a paying passenger (and potential non a,netter) I'd be mad as hell. As a jumpseat occupant, you cannot sleep on them, you are technically not allowed to read non-company materials, etc.. Kind of a crappy way to get revenue, if she was in fact, revenue.
You can't cure stupid

Zkpilot

Tue May 08, 2007 1:32 pm

Thats a real shame. Nice airline!

So what does this mean for any agreements between NZ and TN? Will NZ resume (presumably with 763 then 789) PPT-LAX services back to what they were previously?
56 types. 38 countries. 24 airlines.

QANTASforever

Tue May 08, 2007 1:53 pm

Quoting SCCutler (Reply 7):
LAX-PPT

Interesting. My extremely full flight was PPT-LAX. LAX-PPT was almost empty (this was March 1st).

How quickly things change.

QFF

767er

Tue May 08, 2007 3:23 pm

Friend of mine flew SYD PPT on a Sunday mid March and said it was only half full. Lots of talk around about how much money they are losing and poor loads.
Aircraft flown:F27,Viscount. EMB120, SAAB340, ATR70, 737-200.737-300,DC8, DC10,747-100,747-200,747-300,747-400, A320, A3

kiwiandrew

Tue May 08, 2007 3:34 pm

makes you wonder how much behind the scenes pressure there might have been from the French government to get NZ to drop their PPT-LAX services and codeshare on TN instead ?

tomascubero

Tue May 08, 2007 3:47 pm

I wouldn't be surprised since I've heard the same thing about their planes being quite empty, mostly from the JFK-PPT flight which I should think have the lowest yields in passengers. (BTW have they dropped this flight? It seems so since I can't see it in the Flightaware recent arrivals to NTAA). Its really a shame if this does happen, they are a great airline with an awesome paint scheme, nice flight crew and very nice people in the administration, they were really nice to me in regards of information when F-OLOV visited SJO last November on an Around the World charter, provided me with the whole schedule of that charter as well.

Cheers,
Tomas.

ERJ135

Tue May 08, 2007 4:54 pm

Interesting, I'll be flying them in August and had to delay departure due to non availability of seats, also had to return 4 days later than planned for the same reason. Seems the loads vary greatly on different days. Would be sad to see them go as the offer an interesting alternative across the pacific.
I remember when the DC-3 was new!

ZKNBX

Tue May 08, 2007 5:33 pm

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 3):
Well they rely on mainly tourists which isn't exactly going to be high yeilding.

I've heard at least - that it's only a matter of time b4 NZ are back on AKL-PPT-LAX because of the probable failure of TN

ha763

Tue May 08, 2007 6:45 pm

Air Tahiti Nui has contracts with the cruise lines in the Tahiti market to provide seats between LAX and PPT for their cruise pax. This is why that route is full on select days in either direction.

ZK-NBT

Tue May 08, 2007 6:58 pm

TN's loads on AKL-PPT aren't the worst, not sure about inbound, atleast what I hear.

It will be sad if this airline goes under.

Quoting ZKNBX (Reply 15):
I've heard at least - that it's only a matter of time b4 NZ are back on AKL-PPT-LAX because of the probable failure of TN

I wonder if NZ would use a 772? Atleast in the short term while they have a spare or 2. Or this maybe why they are keeping the extra 763.

jbguller

Tue May 08, 2007 7:29 pm

Does anyone else think they'd do much better if they had a smaller craft with the same sort of range (if one exists)?

aerorobnz

Tue May 08, 2007 7:53 pm

Quoting ZK-NBT (Reply 17):
TN's loads on AKL-PPT aren't the worst, not sure about inbound, atleast what I hear.

I check them in, and loads are always pretty good out of AKL, except for select days in the low season when all loads are low. The loads are often oversold in Y/J, but obviously that is only one route.
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

AOMlover

Tue May 08, 2007 7:54 pm

ATN is the toy of the Polynesian government. LAX-PPT is by far the best performing route of the airline. Anyway, ATN was not created to make money, even though it was not created to lose that much money either.

FlySSC

Tue May 08, 2007 8:12 pm

As AOMliver said, ATN is a typical political airline, created to "please" and calm down the local Independantists power and to "buy" the social peace.
ATN will have endless financial backing by the French Gov. and the local authorities,as it is also the toy of the politician Gaston Flosse, ex-good friend of J.Chirac and the biggest mafioso in all the Pacific.

Do you think it is economically justified for an island like Tahiti to have so many airlines, including ATN who keeps ALL the non profitable routes (like PPT-JFK) just for prestige ? Well, as long as taxpayers pay and don't complain ...

koruman

Tue May 08, 2007 8:29 pm

Absolute nonsense.

The airline's political masters (ie paymasters) see its mission as being to bring tourists to French Polynesia, not to make money.

It's doing far better than its New Caledonian equivalent (Air Calin), and they would never be allowed to fold.

QANTASforever

Tue May 08, 2007 8:56 pm

Quoting Koruman (Reply 22):
The airline's political masters (ie paymasters) see its mission as being to bring tourists to French Polynesia, not to make money.

I would tend to agree with you. If it wasn't for TN I certainly would NEVER have visited Tahiti.

QFF

JoFMO

Tue May 08, 2007 9:15 pm

There is nothing wrong in creating an airline to bring in tourist in your country. Dubai did the same, although with a little more success.

The problem I see with NT is that they lack the critical mass to establish PPT as a hub in the pacific.

To stop bleeding money it might help to stop flying to destinations where other carriers already have flights. It was a fairly dump move by them to push NZ off the LAX route. NZ offered a nice stop-over possibility for everybody from between UK / USA and NZ / OZ. And NZ had a very good sales organizations in Europe and North America.
And for the biggest market to the French motherland there still is AF.
The other markets OZ and NZ were also well covered by NZ. And to South America there is LAN.

so the only market that is really missing is East Asia, especially Japan. Here TN is really needed to bring in wealthy Japanese tourists. But wouldn't it be cheaper for French Polynesia to give incentives for anyone offering flights to Japan than having this expensive airline?

TG992
Topic Author

Tue May 08, 2007 9:18 pm

Interesting responses so far.

Quoting Koruman (Reply 22):
Absolute nonsense.

Quoting AOMlover (Reply 20):
Anyway, ATN was not created to make money, even though it was not created to lose that much money either.

What I've heard is that the number of tourists TN is managing to attract don't justify the enormous cost in keeping TN running, which is why the government has lost patience and is no longer prepared to financially back them.

I repeat, one of the many sources for the information I've heard was extremely close to the action in a high position.

Will be interesting to see what eventuates.
-

DAYflyer

Tue May 08, 2007 9:23 pm

Quoting Ha763 (Reply 16):
Air Tahiti Nui has contracts with the cruise lines in the Tahiti market to provide seats between LAX and PPT for their cruise pax. This is why that route is full on select days in either direction.

Can they not take advantage of this type of contractual arrangement in other markets as well??

A very nice airline. Great service, and very nice A-340's. There was a good article written about this airline in Airways magazine a couple of years ago.
One Nation Under God

koruman

Tue May 08, 2007 9:45 pm

I'd like to flesh out my earlier response a little.

French Polynesia is highly dependent upon tourism, and the pull-outs of Qantas, Pan Am and Continental were sharply noticed when hotels found their rooms half-empty. New Caledonia has had similar problems with Continental and Air France pulling out.

The French Polynesian goverment and its New Caledonian counterpart therefore see having their own airline as an insurance policy against being left high and dry with no flights to bring in overseas visitors when external factors cause foreign airlines to pull-out.

The pull-out of Air New Zealand from the Los Angeles to Papeete route is now seen locally as a textbook example of the bad management decisions of a foreign airline impacting on visitor numbers.

Air New Zealand and Air France both had poor economy class loads and inadequate business class capacity on LAX-PPT. Air France responded by ripping out Economy Class seats in favour of more Business seats, and have much improved loads and even better yields now. Air New Zealand decided against this, and simply extended Papeete flights through Rarotonga on the basis that Economy Class would be full on the RAR-AKL sector and Business Class would be full on the LAX-PPT leg. Predictably this left empty Economy Class seats on the long LAX-PPT sector, and empty Business Class seats on the RAR-AKL leg, and failed.

The victory of Sarkozy in France probably ensures that the French Polynesian government (which is essentially the same party) will continue to have a free hand in supporting Air Tahiti Nui to the hilt for at least five years now.

Incidentally, there is one thing that could really hurt Air Tahiti Nui. Ever since Air NZ departed LAX-PPT-RAR-AKL, the domestic airline Air Tahiti has been flying a weekly ATR-72 from Tahiti to Rarotonga, but of course no-one wants to combine vacations in those two destinations. Air NZ, let us recall, cited the high cost of overnighting crew at Papeete as the major reason for replacing LAX-PPT-RAR with LAX-RAR.

But everyone visiting Bora Bora already has to buy an Air Tahiti ticket from Papeete to Bora Bora. And Air New Zealand has unlimited traffic rights between Los Angeles and Rarotonga.

If Air New Zealand's management was smart, it would be lobbying Air Tahiti to coordinate several weekly flights from Rarotonga to Bora Bora to take Americans to Bora Bora without ever transiting Tahiti.

Think about it. No capacity controls, lower costs at Rarotonga than Tahiti, yet still a large share of the high-yield Los Angeles to Bora Bora market. The Americans would begin and end their Polynesian vacation in an affordable English-speaking destination, and the RAR-BOB flight need not cost significantly more than the PPT-BOB flight they already have to buy.

MaverickM11

Tue May 08, 2007 11:15 pm

Quoting TG992 (Reply 25):
What I've heard is that the number of tourists TN is managing to attract don't justify the enormous cost in keeping TN running, which is why the government has lost patience and is no longer prepared to financially back them.

Even if TN was 100% full, are there enough hotel rooms in Tahiti to accomodate them?

Quoting FlySSC (Reply 21):
ATN will have endless financial backing by the French Gov.

Why doesn't AF just drop the route and codeshare on TN? No reason for two airlines to operate the same weak route.
E pur si muove -Galileo

koruman

Tue May 08, 2007 11:51 pm

Air France and Air Tahiti Nui both make large profits on the Los Angeles to Papeete route, which is why AF is not pulling out.

Air Tahiti Nui gets almost all the Economy Class cruise-ship market, but Air France gets a lot of the $1000 per night overwater bungalow Business Class passengers.

Air Tahiti Nui is negotiating with Airbus (and shortly the French government for tax breaks) with a view to configuring an A318 Business Jet in an all-First Class lay-out to fly Los Angeles - Bora Bora - Papeete - Los Angeles.

Bofredrik

Wed May 09, 2007 12:02 am

Was the ATN flights half empty or half full? That is a common expression, used rhetorically to indicate that a particular situation could be a cause for optimism (half full), pessimism (half empty).  Smile

jimyvr

Wed May 09, 2007 12:09 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 28):
Why doesn't AF just drop the route and codeshare on TN? No reason for two airlines to operate the same weak route.

In fact AF discontinued the codeshare with TN since 2006/07 Winter timetable.
1000 - 01MAR07 | http://airlineroute.blogspot.com/

MaverickM11

Wed May 09, 2007 12:19 am

Quoting Jimyvr (Reply 31):
In fact AF discontinued the codeshare with TN since 2006/07 Winter timetable.

Is the AF flight supported by the government as well?
E pur si muove -Galileo

SLCUT2777

Wed May 09, 2007 12:41 am

Probably the big money loser for TN has been the JFK to/from PPT route. While the LAX route has been superb, this was a very poor route (JFK) planned from the start based more on potential than realistic numbers. TN would have done better splitting up the second North American flight from SFO and YVR. With the Caribbean so close to so much of North America, Hawaii and especially French Polynesia are more of a west coast niche sort of tourist trip. One other thing to remember is that the North American summer is the French Polynesia tourist season since it is the drier time of the year being at 15 degrees south latitude.
The bottom line is that LAX can't carry the losses of JFK, and sooner or later TN is going to have to gamble and switch to another west coast option. What other posters appear to be eluding to is this might be a little late in the game for TN. Hence the close up shop rumors.
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

FlySSC

Wed May 09, 2007 12:54 am

The solutions for ATN to eventually become a "real" airline and try to become profitable are :

- Stop PPT-JFK and all those nonsense routes.
- initiate a fleet renewal plan for smaller aircraft to propose more frequencies to LAX and open SFO & YVR
- sign an extensive codeshare agreement with a US/Canadian airline to "feed" its flights from LAX/SFO/YVR to/from the rest of North America
- increase frequencies toward the Japanese market.
- increase frequencies with a smaller plane to Australia/NZ/NOU
- merge with all the small local airline to form one single Tahitian company
- make PPT a real "hub" with coordinated schedules between Long-haul flights and local network.

USADreamliner

Wed May 09, 2007 2:17 am

I think they should focus only on LAX ( maybe some other west coast city too) and Australian cities.

Air Tahiti Nui offers great service, way better than Air Pacific.

Quoting Bofredrik (Reply 30):
Was the ATN flights half empty or half full?

I think a better expression would be: Why bad things happen to good people?  Wink

Flying Belgian

Wed May 09, 2007 2:18 am

What about that rumour about a swap for a YVR stop for PPT-CDG instead of LAX ?

At that time some were talking about the U.S transit visa policy that was a real hassle for the passengers.

But I definitly always thought that the JFK route wasn't a bright idea at all.

FB.
Life is great at 41.000 feet...

cchan

Wed May 09, 2007 2:23 am

Quoting Koruman (Reply 27):
yet still a large share of the high-yield Los Angeles to Bora Bora market

It still costs NZ$300+ to do RAR-PPT return and flights to Bora Bora on top of that. Your previous posts in other threads suggested Bora Bora is a destination for wealthy tourists who fly business class, are these guys going to put up with flying economy in an AT7 for 2+ hours?

SLCUT2777

Wed May 09, 2007 2:24 am

Quoting Flying Belgian (Reply 36):
What about that rumour about a swap for a YVR stop for PPT-CDG instead of LAX ?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Canada/France bilateral doesn't allow for YVR-CDG flights. It only allows YUL/YYZ flights. TN just focused on the numbers game by going after JFK.
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

jfk777

Wed May 09, 2007 2:25 am

JFK and CDG are the two flights which are too long for Air Tahiti Nui. Flying in the Pacific is fine to Japan, Australia, New Zealand and the USA's west coast but crossing the USA and the Atlantic to France is too far. Maybe service to Santiago, Chile or Buenos Aires, Argentina should be the next destination.

SLCUT2777

Wed May 09, 2007 2:26 am

Quoting USADreamliner (Reply 35):
think they should focus only on LAX ( maybe some other west coast city too)

Which is why many suggest SFO, YVR and even SEA as possibilities.

FlySSC

Wed May 09, 2007 2:43 am

Quoting SLCUT2777 (Reply 38):
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Canada/France bilateral doesn't allow for YVR-CDG flights

Correct. French airlines have a "free" access to the East Coast airports (frequencies, seat capacity) but not to the West part, though I think it could ne negiciated between the French and Canadian Authorities.

cxb744

Wed May 09, 2007 2:58 am

If ATN could do some kind of trade in with Airbus for some A330-200, this could help them save money in the long run.
Yes, the A330-200 has less seats, but from the posts above, its clear they don't need large aircraft with 4 engines. And the A330-200 would fit onto almost all the routes ATN, may be with exception of Japan.

I t would be sad if this airline goes under, the service is great!!!
What is it? It's A 747-400, but that's not important right now.

AOMlover

Wed May 09, 2007 3:03 am

Quoting Jfk777 (Reply 39):
Maybe service to Santiago, Chile or Buenos Aires, Argentina should be the next destination.

There's already a PPT-SCL flight operated by LAN with a stop at Easter Island.

USPIT10L

Wed May 09, 2007 3:30 am

Quoting FlySSC (Reply 34):
- sign an extensive codeshare agreement with a US/Canadian airline to "feed" its flights from LAX/SFO/YVR to/from the rest of North America

TN signed a codeshare/marketing deal with DL in 2004, but I never heard anything about it after the initial press release. DL would codeshare with TN on LAXPPT and JFKPPT to give them a South Pacific presense.
It's a Great Day for Hockey!

FlySSC

Wed May 09, 2007 4:05 am

Quoting USPIT10L (Reply 44):
DL would codeshare with TN on LAXPPT and JFKPPT to give them a South Pacific presense.

If so, as a Skyteam partner and member, DL would codeshare with AF on LAX-PPT, rather than ATN

QANTASforever

Wed May 09, 2007 4:17 am

Quoting FlySSC (Reply 34):
- make PPT a real "hub" with coordinated schedules between Long-haul flights and local network.

I also think developing Papeete itself should be a major priority. What is there that really attracts people? The city is in an awful state, crime is becoming a problem (something I experienced first-hand), it has major MAJOR development issues, the standard of living among the local population is abysmal especially when one considers that this is meant to be part of France, and it is astoundingly extremely expensive. Aside from some nice beaches, the odd good surf spot, and some lovely mountains - just what does Tahiti have to offer at this point that hundreds of other (nicer) places don't?

I believe the answer lies in TN's trouble. You can't inject demand into the market before you invest in your product. Tahiti needs to be developed as a priority.

QFF

irobertson

Wed May 09, 2007 5:06 am

Quoting Jbguller (Reply 18):
Does anyone else think they'd do much better if they had a smaller craft with the same sort of range (if one exists)?

I agree. They used to have an A340-200, which has comparable range to the -300E (8000nm vs 7400nm), just less seating (239 vs 295). Engine maintenance is about the same cost but the fuel would be less. Seems like a logical ideal to me. A330-200 can do Paris to LAX as well, seats 253 in three classes, 6750nm range, two engines for those who prefer twins.

It would seem to me that the -200 would be a really good choice in this case instead of the -300. Is Airbus still taking orders for the -200?

TWPHIL

Wed May 09, 2007 5:17 am

Air Tahiti Nui has always been a long time momey looser(Close to shutdown in 1998).They have never been created to be profitable but just to be around with a nice polynesian " friendly " style keeping afloat a court around The King striving and fighting to keep his chair without thinking or knowing a second how an Airline can run efficiently.
The PPT/JFK/PPT was another example or maybe the last will to please some barons at some places.
But pleasure costs....

AOMlover

Wed May 09, 2007 5:22 am

What attracts tourists into French Polynesia is definitely not the island of Tahiti herself, but rather Moorea, Bora Bora, Huahine, Raiatea, Rangiroa, etc...those are the islands which fit the "South Pacific Paradise" cliché. And yet much effort has been made to give Papeete a prettier face, but there's still a lots of things to do.
I love French Polynesia, I've spent the two best years of my life there, and my father lives here. But that place can be such an "indescriptible merdier", especially when it comes to politics, that it's disperating.