EI321
Topic Author

Aer Lingus Want To Open More New US Routes In 2008

Tue May 08, 2007 5:53 pm

Aer Lingus are looking at launching further new US routes next year, according to Commercial director Enda Corneille, quoted as saying: "we are looking at a number of routes to the US for next year and the east coast continues to be an interesting market for us".

I think the most likely destinations would be Miami, Phillidelphia, Newark & Dallas.

Recently announced are SanFrancisco, Washington & Orlando.

Any opinions on this?

[Edited 2007-05-08 10:58:42]

ANCFlyer

RE: Aer Lingus Want To Open More New US Routes In 2008

Tue May 08, 2007 6:31 pm

Quoting EI321 (Thread starter):
Any opinions on this?

Source would be nice.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

styles9002

Tue May 08, 2007 6:38 pm

I think EI are being a bit optimistic that they can successfully expand to more cities. Over the past 10 years they have added service to EWR, BWI, and MCO and pulled out of all three. I realize they are planning on returning to MCO this year and launching IAD and SFO as well but it remains to be seen how well they will perform on a 3 or 4 weekly service. It is important to note that US carriers not serving Ireland are now considering adding service to DUB , as well as those currently serving it are revising/adding frequencies and this will impact how EI will perform on any new routes. I see where US has already announced adding year round service from PHL and CO has revised its 2nd EWR DUB flight to skip SNN and operate non-stop back to EWR from this winter on. Additionally, it is probable that UA will serve IAD DUB and NW will add DTW DUB sometime over the next 6-12 months. It is also possible that a proliferation of lower cost airlines will start flying transatlantic and it is logical that Ireland, due to its geographic location, will receive some of the first services, such as flyglobepsan's new BOS & JFK to NOC services. All of these factors will contribute to lower margins for all carriers involved and may lead to rationalization of expansion.
It is what it is.

EINA330

Tue May 08, 2007 6:44 pm

I can see an argument for all 4 of these routes,with Dallas being the most urgent.Personally,I would like to see somewhere like Memphis or New Orleans,but I doubt if there would be the initial demand for either of these.I wonder about Miami though!is there that much of a need for it?Granted it has excellent access to Central and South America,but do a sufficient number of people want to go there to warrant a 2nd service to Florida?
EINA330.

EI321
Topic Author

Tue May 08, 2007 6:52 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 1):
Source would be nice.

The quote is directly from Airline Business

Quoting EINA330 (Reply 3):
I can see an argument for all 4 of these routes

Roumers of a few more A330s coming next year, but we will have to wait and see.

ANCFlyer

Tue May 08, 2007 7:02 pm

Quoting EI321 (Reply 4):
The quote is directly from Airline Business

Fine . . .

Something for future reference:

http://www.airliners.net/discussions/rules.main?confirm=no

8. If you have something to say, please do so; however be sure to mention your sources, perhaps with an HTML link or reference to a publication. If you are merely providing an opinion, please MENTION THIS in your post. We would like to avoid arguments based on rumors or misinformation.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

shamrock350

Tue May 08, 2007 7:16 pm

More A330s will obviously be ordered soon because EI have to get interim aircraft until the A350/787 arrives. I think about 9 A330s will be ordered with the newest arriving late 2008 and onto 2009 this will replace and expand fleet. EI-DUO will arrive in a week, marking the beginning of the fleet expansion.

EI321
Topic Author

Tue May 08, 2007 7:25 pm

Quoting Shamrock350 (Reply 6):
More A330s will obviously be ordered soon because EI have to get interim aircraft until the A350/787 arrives.

I think Paris would definitly be good timing for this. It would be nice to replace the 4 current A330-300s over the next few years.

shamrock350

Tue May 08, 2007 7:35 pm

Quoting EI321 (Reply 7):
Quoting Shamrock350 (Reply 6):
More A330s will obviously be ordered soon because EI have to get interim aircraft until the A350/787 arrives.

I think Paris would definitly be good timing for this. It would be nice to replace the 4 current A330-300s over the next few years.

I think EI are thinking of replacing them, why buy new A330s with an all new product in both Premier and Economy and only update the current feet with new seat covers?
It looks to me as if Aer Lingus is only thinking of having the current A333s in the fleet until around 2009 when they can replace them. Enda C. has said the new A330s will form the blueprint for other new A330s but he did not say that the rest of the fleet will get the same product just that they got a "winter makeover" I suppose we will find out what EI are planning with the current fleet when they order interim aircraft which I think will be announced with the A350 at Paris.

kaitak

Tue May 08, 2007 8:21 pm

I thought we spoke about this on the Irish Aviation thread? Anyway, good news is always worth repeating!

Quoting Styles9002 (Reply 2):
I think EI are being a bit optimistic that they can successfully expand to more cities. Over the past 10 years they have added service to EWR, BWI, and MCO and pulled out of all three

Remember that we have a new operating environment, now that EI (and other t/a carriers to/from Ireland) are no longer held back by the SNN stopover nonsense. Willie Walsh, former EI CEO, has said in the past that BWI could have worked if they didn't have the stopover. MCO was axed to make way for DXB, but it was popular when it was operated. EWR was dropped after 9/11. So, I think there are grounds for optimism. I am optimistic that they can be made work, BUT I certainly agree that with increased competition on routes to/from Ireland, yields will be squeezed. However, EI currently has among the lowest costs of any t/a airline (second only to AI, I believe), so at least they are well positioned.

COEI2007

Tue May 08, 2007 8:50 pm

Quoting Styles9002 (Reply 2):
I think EI are being a bit optimistic that they can successfully expand to more cities. Over the past 10 years they have added service to EWR, BWI, and MCO and pulled out of all three. I realize they are planning on returning to MCO this year and launching IAD and SFO as well but it remains to be seen how well they will perform on a 3 or 4 weekly service. It is important to note that US carriers not serving Ireland are now considering adding service to DUB , as well as those currently serving it are revising/adding frequencies and this will impact how EI will perform on any new routes. I see where US has already announced adding year round service from PHL and CO has revised its 2nd EWR DUB flight to skip SNN and operate non-stop back to EWR from this winter on. Additionally, it is probable that UA will serve IAD DUB and NW will add DTW DUB sometime over the next 6-12 months. It is also possible that a proliferation of lower cost airlines will start flying transatlantic and it is logical that Ireland, due to its geographic location, will receive some of the first services, such as flyglobepsan's new BOS & JFK to NOC services. All of these factors will contribute to lower margins for all carriers involved and may lead to rationalization of expansion.

As said before:

MCO was dropped to make way for DXB, and for other reasons (since resolved)
BWI could have worked had it not been for the SNN stopover
EWR was dropped to focus on one NYC gateway after the 9/11 downturn

I think DFW, PHL and EWR are very interesting!!! I think MIA is up there, but maybe EI will wait to see how MCO does!

As much as CO will go twice daily from September, thats with 2 757's. Total J capacity will only be 32 seats. EI will have a new J product, and could easily eat into CO's DUB-EWR market, with low fares for Y, and new corporate contracts for J. A mid-afternoon EWR flight would fit in well, with EI's current 10.30 and 17.30 JFK departures!

DFW will happen sooner or later!!! The AA connection, and hopefully further code-sharing between AA and EI would make the route a success!

US is going year round, so I wonder will that effect EI's decision on PHL?

I would bet UA had been seriously looking at IAD-DUB, but with EI starting the route, I'd doubt they'd want to fight for a small market like that, when UA have better use for a/c!

tsnamm

Tue May 08, 2007 9:04 pm

CO 22 has upgraded to a 762 for the summer...CO126 is already operating from May 3, so CO is running double daily already...

Quoting COEI2007 (Reply 10):
As much as CO will go twice daily from September, thats with 2 757's.

STT757

Tue May 08, 2007 9:14 pm

Aer Lingus returning to EWR would be a welcome addition, they dropped the route after 9-11-01.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

usairways85

Tue May 08, 2007 9:37 pm

I think DFW, PHL and EWR are very interesting!!! I think MIA is up there, but maybe EI will wait to see how MCO does!

MCO and MIA are two different markets, the success/failure of MCO does not predict how MIA could fare

US is operating DUB all year round, but mind you it is 4 times weekly in the winter with a 752. EI should be able to compete with that and probably take advantage of the cargo capacity US is losing

Poitin

Tue May 08, 2007 10:15 pm

While I can't speak for DFW, there are a lot of Irish Americans in both the PHL and EWR markets. And EWR is NOT the same as JFK as EWR covers the New Jersey market much better than JFK.

Then there is St Paul, MN, the city that makes Saint Paddy's day a national holiday.It has a very large Irish population. I suspect that there is a good market to be found in MSP - DUB. Right now, those in the MSP area have to go to Chicago, where they have a choice of airlines to Ireland. Most would opt for a direct flight if available.

In any case, I hope to see announcements for these new routes in the next few months.
Now so, have ye time fer a pint?

styles9002

Tue May 08, 2007 10:31 pm

Well, we are all entitled to our opinions but I believe EI will have to rely heavily on Irish originating traffic to make this work if it will work at all. The fact is EI has very little name recognition here in the USA outside of small pocket of aviation enthusiasts and some people with Irish heritage. I'd reckon if you surveyed it most Americans wouldn't know how to spell Aer Lingus. Additionally, they have no distribution sales network in the US as they cut sales force and outsourced their res center. They don't even work with tour operators or agencies as they rely almost exclusively upon online sales. Say what will you about their value, but I can tell you for certain that if you don't work with them you will not get any business from them. Once they move outside of the traditional destinations of JFK/BOS/ORD they are moving into new territories where they have no history, pedigree or emotional advantages. Why UA allow them to take the business from IAD or US from PHL? These legacy carriers are now more lean and effective and will be competing on many fronts with low cost carries & int'l competitors with great sophistication. You can see it already as US is flying year round to DUB now. As an American of Irish descent I think that the idea that because cities like PHL or SFO happens to have a certain amount of population that checks off the census box that they consider themselves Irish thus the airline should start flying there is silly. As for MCO, it is a strictly leisure destination and offer almost no premium traffic.
It is what it is.

EI321
Topic Author

Tue May 08, 2007 10:33 pm

Quoting Poitin (Reply 14):

While I can't speak for DFW, there are a lot of Irish Americans in both the PHL and EWR markets.

While the O&D market is still the primary source of EI revenues, I think that the airline will be looking at expanding its connecting market over the coming years. Hubs like DFW and MIA might help. Among the 8 cities included in the EI expansion strategy from a few years back were SanFran, Dallas, Seattle, Denver, Miami, Washington, St Louis & Phillidelphia. The move to T2 (hopefully in 09) will provide better transfer facilities, and the airline can offer a good combination of price, hub location and pre-immigration between the States and continental Europe.

Poitin

Tue May 08, 2007 10:54 pm

Quoting Styles9002 (Reply 15):
Well, we are all entitled to our opinions but I believe EI will have to rely heavily on Irish originating traffic to make this work if it will work at all. The fact is EI has very little name recognition here in the USA outside of small pocket of aviation enthusiasts and some people with Irish heritage.

Quoting EI321 (Reply 16):
While the O&D market is still the primary source of EI revenues, I think that the airline will be looking at expanding its connecting market over the coming years.

EI321, I agree that EI has to get beyond their ethnic market, but Styles9002 is absolutely correct. EI is only an ethnic market in the US. They don't advertise, they don't do any name recognition development in the US. I don't remember the last time I saw an EI ad on the American television. From time to time you see a Guinness add, or perhaps "Find yer roots in Ireland" ad from the Irish Tourist Board, but 99.9% of Americans, including the 30 or 40% with Irish surnames, haven't the foggest idea who EI is.

Poitin

Tue May 08, 2007 10:59 pm

And to Styles9002 -- Welcome to the you. I hope to see more of your postings in the future.

MAH4546

Tue May 08, 2007 11:53 pm

Miami and Orlando are entirely different markets. One has nothing to do with the other. Unlike Orlando, for example, Aer Lingus will be able to offer business class service from Miami, since the demographics will allow it.

I'm confident we will see them at Miami and Philadelphia in 2008, and possibly Dallas.
a.

styles9002

Wed May 09, 2007 12:28 am

As for MIA and PHL, I have no doubt EI will start the routes but I think they will encounter difficulty in making them financially successful. I am not sure why they would want to fly to DFW and also as to why some people think EI will receive feed from AA at MIA & DFW. Wouldn't AA rather carry the traffic to LHR themselves and then let EI carry them from LHR to DUB/ORK/SNN? Why would AA want to share this revenue, especially premium revenue from hubs such as DFW & MIA with EI, especially since EI left oneWorld. I guess my question is what does EI offer AA?
It is what it is.

EI321
Topic Author

Wed May 09, 2007 12:31 am

Quoting Styles9002 (Reply 20):
Wouldn't AA rather carry the traffic to LHR themselves and then let EI carry them from LHR to DUB/ORK/SNN?

But EI might want this L/H traffic themselves. The margins on the DUB-LHR route would is less than their US routes.

[Edited 2007-05-08 17:48:57]

OA260

Wed May 09, 2007 12:40 am

Quoting Styles9002 (Reply 20):
As for MIA and PHL, I have no doubt EI will start the routes but I think they will encounter difficulty in making them financially successful

My company alone could fill half a A330 with connecting cruise passengers into MIA!!! EI would make a killing on that route if they got their act together. No competition either.

EISHN

Wed May 09, 2007 1:38 am

People always say that DFW would work for EI because of connecting possibilities. But there isn't enough connecting pax, and not nearly enough O&D. EI already serve ORD, a huge AA hub. That covers North America. MIA could work for a number of reasons:

1. O&D traffic year round, and the fact that lots of Irish people own property in Florida.
2. Connecting AA traffic to the Carribean and South/Central America
3. CRUISES- Many, many more people are now cruising, espcially in the Carribean, getting on at Miami.
4. Cargo.

EWR is very unlikely to happen. CO already have the route covered, and while EI could eat into the profits, I doubt they could make a killing. Remember, CO have the connecting possibilities, and they are unlikely to do any code sharing or inter-lining with EI if they come on the EWR route.
PHL could work. I think that EI could easily push US off the route. EI will be offering more in terms of service. Perhaps let EI operate the route, work out code sharing, and let US pick another European route.
The new routes will need a lot of help being succesful for the first while. EI are launching the routes right after the busy Summer season. Granted you will have a large number of people flying at that time of year (Sept./Oct.) but they will need a lot of help. They are doing a good bit of advertising for the routes, but maybe more. They should also try and sell more connecting tickets onto S/H flights, as seat fillers.
Lets not forget the Canadian Open Skies agreement with Ireland. If EI don't get in, they could lose out to Zomm, or AC.
But there is also the question of Asia and South Africa services. They need to think everything out very carefully.

They have two problems.
1. Launch several L/H routes in a short amount of time, and fail.
2. Do nothing and watch several other airlines coe in, and win the market.
St. Flannan/ Fhlanain- She took off to find the footlights, And I took off for the sky

Danny

Wed May 09, 2007 1:43 am

Quoting EISHN (Reply 23):
PHL could work. I think that EI could easily push US off the route

Doubt it. US to PHL is the only STAR Alliance transatlantic route out of DUB giving them good connecting traffic.

EI will be offering more in terms of service.

EI offers nothing over US. In fact on US you don't have to pay for alcohol while on EI you do.

Perhaps let EI operate the route, work out code sharing, and let US pick another European route.

Why would US simply hand over the route to EI?

bartond

Wed May 09, 2007 1:46 am

Question - how close are EI and AA now that EI dropped out of OneWorld? Are they still doing lots of codeshares? I think Philadelphia would obviously make a lot of sense, Miami has a good chance of EI service but DFW I'm not as sure. This would be almost a 100% connecting traffic route but how close do the two airlines work together as far as providing connection opportunities via AA at DFW? I would love to see it but I don't think it helped that EI dropped out of OneWorld.

Poitin

RE: Aer Lingus Want To Open More New US Routes In

Wed May 09, 2007 1:51 am

That covers North America. MIA could work for a number of reasons:

1. O&D traffic year round, and the fact that lots of Irish people own property in Florida.
2. Connecting AA traffic to the Carribean and South/Central America
3. CRUISES- Many, many more people are now cruising, espcially in the Carribean, getting on at Miami.
4. Cargo.

These are good points. Although I think 1 and 3 are the best.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 22):
My company alone could fill half a A330 with connecting cruise passengers into MIA!!! EI would make a killing on that route if they got their act together. No competition either.

Unfortunately true. EI needs to work on the tourist trade in the Florida area. And by that I mean IRISH tourists to America.

However, I think you will find more people interested in Tampa than MIA as that is where a large number of Irish have "winter homes". I am not aware of any of the Irish I know having places in south Florida. Mostly Tampa area, or St Auguistine

EISHN

Wed May 09, 2007 1:52 am

Quoting Danny (Reply 24):
EI offers nothing over US. In fact on US you don't have to pay for alcohol while on EI you do

Read it and weep. Doesn't jsut apply to domestic flights.
Non-alcoholic: Complimentary
Coca-Cola Classic
Diet Coke
Sprite
Diet Sprite Zero
Minute Maid Apple Juice
Minute Maid Cranberry Apple Cocktail
Minute Maid Orange Juice
Dannon Water
Seagram's Tonic Water
Seagram's Seltzer Water
Seagram's Ginger Ale
Mott's Tomato Juice
Mr. & Mrs. 'T' Bloody Mary Mix
Mother Parker’s Coffee (Regular and Decaffeinated)
Mother Parker’s Tea
Wine: $5
Selected premium wines are available. Ask your flight attendant for the current selections.

Beer: $5
Budweiser
Heineken
Bud Light
Cocktails and Cordials: $5
Finlandia Vodka
Jack Daniels Whiskey
Tangueray Gin
Bacardi Silver Rum
Glenlivit Scotch
Baileys Irish Cream

http://www.usairways.com/awa/content...ir/foodandbeverages/maincabin.aspx

On EI you also get a pliiow and blanket, free of charge onboard, and free headphones. You're flying on a widebody, as opposed to a 757. EI are also upgrading their onboard product, new seats in C, and Y, as well as new IFE (AVOD) will be on the new planes. The older ones are going to be replaced in the next two years. You can't argue that US have AVOD on their A333s, as they don't flying into Ireland. Not to mention the strength of the EI brand within Ireland, I think they could do it.
St. Flannan/ Fhlanain- She took off to find the footlights, And I took off for the sky

IAD380

Wed May 09, 2007 2:12 am

EI's plans to rapidly expand in the United States over a short period of time seems overly ambitious and risky. I think that EI should first see if its new routes to IAD, SFO, and MCO are successful, before it quickly adds four other cities. In my opinion, EWR and PHL do not seem like the best choices at this time, for the reasons discussed above. DFW or MIA seem more reasonable because both are major hubs with excellent connections to Latin America. DFW would enable EI to serve all regions of the United States. After IAD, MCO, and SFO, I think that EI should next add YYZ, and then DFW and then MIA. I also agree with EISHN that EI should explore whether routes to JNB, CPT, or other destinations in Asia are feasible. Beyond DXB, I do not know which Asian destination would best fit into EI's network.

COEI2007

Wed May 09, 2007 2:30 am

Quoting Tsnamm (Reply 11):
CO 22 has upgraded to a 762 for the summer...CO126 is already operating from May 3, so CO is running double daily already...

As much as CO will go twice daily from September, thats with 2 757's.

Yes, but one routes via SNN. From Sept, theres two direct EWR.

Quoting Poitin (Reply 17):
EI is only an ethnic market in the US. They don't advertise, they don't do any name recognition development in the US. I don't remember the last time I saw an EI ad on the American television. From time to time you see a Guinness add, or perhaps "Find yer roots in Ireland" ad from the Irish Tourist Board, but 99.9% of Americans, including the 30 or 40% with Irish surnames, haven't the foggest idea who EI is.

I'm pretty sure i;ve seen advertisements for EI in magazines in the US before!

EWR is very unlikely to happen. CO already have the route covered, and while EI could eat into the profits, I doubt they could make a killing. Remember, CO have the connecting possibilities, and they are unlikely to do any code sharing or inter-lining with EI if they come on the EWR route.

A high proportion of CO's pax on the DUB-EWR f lights arent connecting. A lot are travelling to NJ or New York. That said, EI could use B6 to connect pax beyond EWR.

Quoting Poitin (Reply 26):
However, I think you will find more people interested in Tampa than MIA as that is where a large number of Irish have "winter homes". I am not aware of any of the Irish I know having places in south Florida. Mostly Tampa area, or St Auguistine

MCO isnt that far from TPA, so I couldnt see them serving TPA. As said before, MIA is huge for cruises, Irish on holiday and business!

jfk777

Wed May 09, 2007 2:30 am

Aer Lingus should not on;y look to America but to South Africa and Asia. Dublin to Tokyo, Hong Kong, and J'Berg should be part of teh grand plan with planes to do it, sorry A330 Asia is too far. New 787 and/or 777 anyone ?

B752OS

Wed May 09, 2007 2:37 am

Quoting COEI2007 (Reply 29):
A high proportion of CO's pax on the DUB-EWR f lights arent connecting. A lot are travelling to NJ or New York. That said, EI could use B6 to connect pax beyond EWR.

B6 really doesn't have an extensive network out of EWR. EI would be better connecting passengers through JFK and BOS where B6 has a larger network.

I am surprised that they are not looking towards NRT of HKG as it has been mentioned in this thread, also, how is the amount of service between YYZ-DUB/SNN? I would assume only AC operates the routes.

shamrock350

Wed May 09, 2007 2:43 am

Quoting Jfk777 (Reply 30):
Aer Lingus should not on;y look to America but to South Africa and Asia. Dublin to Tokyo, Hong Kong, and J'Berg should be part of teh grand plan with planes to do it, sorry A330 Asia is too far. New 787 and/or 777 anyone ?

They were looking at BKK or HKG and the long-haul order looks like it will be made at Paris. The interim looks like it will only be A330s possibly A340s but I doubt 777s will be put into the fleet even if they go for the 787.

COEI2007

Wed May 09, 2007 2:45 am

Quoting B752OS (Reply 31):
I am surprised that they are not looking towards NRT of HKG as it has been mentioned in this thread, also, how is the amount of service between YYZ-DUB/SNN? I would assume only AC operates the routes.

CPT should be looked at. HKG/BKK are out of reach, without restricting the load. MIA and PHL look the most likely. I'm not sure about DFW, and I still think EWR could work! YYZ could work too!

Poitin

Wed May 09, 2007 2:50 am

Quoting Poitin (Reply 17):
EI is only an ethnic market in the US. They don't advertise, they don't do any name recognition development in the US. I don't remember the last time I saw an EI ad on the American television. From time to time you see a Guinness add, or perhaps "Find yer roots in Ireland" ad from the Irish Tourist Board, but 99.9% of Americans, including the 30 or 40% with Irish surnames, haven't the foggest idea who EI is.

I certainly haven't. And never on the tele. I do see Irish Tourist Board ads all the time, particularly this time of year.

shamrock350

Wed May 09, 2007 2:55 am

Quoting Poitin (Reply 34):
I certainly haven't. And never on the tele. I do see Irish Tourist Board ads all the time, particularly this time of year.

There are paper adverts for EI but no television ones. Aer Lingus dont have a huge amount of TV ads in Ireland let alone anywhere else!

kaitak

Wed May 09, 2007 3:52 am

Quoting COEI2007 (Reply 33):
CPT should be looked at. HKG/BKK are out of reach, without restricting the load. MIA and PHL look the most likely. I'm not sure about DFW, and I still think EWR could work! YYZ could work too!

I tend to agree that EWR is out; it is SA)">CO territory and there are many other markets in the US which EI could serve without encroaching onto another airline's turf. I understand PHL and while it might sound as if I'm contradicting what I've just said, I believe EI would be able to "take on" US much more effectively than SA)">CO, which is a pretty darn good airline. Remember that tourism Ireland identified around 20 US cities which could accommodate direct service to Ireland, so there is a few more to pick from. I could see the likes of SEA, DEN, PHX and LAS down the road, but I agree that the next three are more likely to be PHL (which has a strong Irish population), MIA and/or DFW. I think it would be highly advisable for EI to work with SA)">AA, particularly to MIA. They have a huge Latin American network and it would be a shame not to avail of that; sure, they could benefit from the cruise market, but I think the SA)">AA connecting traffic would work well too. One could take DFW and the other, MIA and instead of EI add three US destinations, they could add YYZ instead and, as I've suggested before, do a deal with Westjet, just like they did with SA)">B6.

That, of course, leaves the issue of Asia; I agree that CPT should be looked at (although frankly, I have misgivings about SA, because of the stratospheric crime levels. I'd much rather see them go to Asia, but then of course, we're back to my old hobby horse and really, I think we're probably going to end up being reliant on access via ME destinations, because the DAA doesn't have any intention of extending the runway and the govt hasn't the interest to force them. It's a particularly shameful state of affairs, but there you go.

The big question on my mind still relates to the four early model A330s and their future. They're still relatively young, so would probably find a home without too much difficulty, perhaps with a charter carrier, but I guess the question I have is what kind of numbers we are talking about overall. This Winter, three new routes, next Summer, the same three routes at a higher frequency, plus (conservative figure) two more. Now, that's quite a demand for new aircraft and I'm just wondering if ANYONE - Boeing or Airbus - can satisfy that requirement. Given the shortage of widebody aircraft, my view would be, "why get rid of the four older 330s; they can still do t/a flights from SNN, or other destinations. Whether EI can get more A330s next Summer may depend to a large extent on whether EI orders A350s and that's something we'll find out soon. I would imagine, right now, that EI bean-counters are hard at work considering all the different permutations and proposals. No wonder they're extending the decision date for the new fleet!

usairways85

Wed May 09, 2007 4:35 am

Quoting Danny (Reply 24):

EI offers nothing over US. In fact on US you don't have to pay for alcohol while on EI you do.

Last time i checked you had to pay for an alcoholic drink on US

copaair737

Wed May 09, 2007 4:44 am

I can't wait to see their green A330's flying in and out of SFO. That's going to be great.

-Copa
Livin' on Reds, Vitamin C, and Cocaine

Poitin

RE: Aer Lingus Want To Open More New US Routes In

Wed May 09, 2007 4:46 am

Quoting Poitin (Reply 26):

MCO isnt that far from TPA, so I couldnt see them serving TPA. As said before, MIA is huge for cruises, Irish on holiday and business!

This is true. There are three markets here. Irish tourists going to Disneyland, Irish tourists going on cruise, and Irish going to their winter homes. If EI had to chose between TPA and MCO, MCO is the clear winner. As for MIA, it depends on the traffic. I think that can be built if EI did a deal with the cruise lines.

I think OA260 has an excellent point with:

Quoting OA260 (Reply 22):

Eirules

Wed May 09, 2007 4:48 am

I agree that there are still a number of oportunities for EI transatlantically (to MIA, PHL and YYZ in particular I think). But they cant afford to put all of their eggs in one basket. The dollar is continuing to fall so it is becoming more and more expensive for American tourists to visit Europe and with 3 new routes due to come online within the next 6 months I think they should allow these to bed in for at least a year before launching anything more westbound. I do on the otherhand think that EI should be looking at where else they can grow L/H. CPT would be a good holiday destination but I wouldnt expect Premier loads to be good and would have little or no connecting passengers. On the otherhand BKK, HKG or SIN would have both O&D and excellent connection to say SYD, AKL, PER, PEN, KUL etc
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....

OA260

Wed May 09, 2007 5:00 am

Quoting Usairways85 (Reply 37):
Last time i checked you had to pay for an alcoholic drink on US

Yeah and to be honest I dont really drink so why should I subsidise those that do!!! Coke,tea/coffee/juice is enough for anyone . If you want wine with your meal then splash out $5 its not going to kill you .

kaitak

Wed May 09, 2007 5:03 am

Quoting Poitin (Reply 39):
This is true. There are three markets here. Irish tourists going to Disneyland, Irish tourists going on cruise, and Irish going to their winter homes. If EI had to chose between TPA and MCO, MCO is the clear winner. As for MIA, it depends on the traffic. I think that can be built if EI did a deal with the cruise lines.

Personally, I've been to Tampa a few times (or specifically, the islands off the coast, around 30-40 miles south) ... a beautiful part of the world. Many of these places are served via hubs like ATL, PHL, EWR (my entry point) etc. I do agree that MCO has to be the winner between the two, however.

n272wa

Wed May 09, 2007 5:15 am

mate at EI informed me earlier that YYZ, CPT and BKK are circulating in the rumour mill inhouse at EI at present and there has been no mention of any further additional US routes..
Next: (EI)DUB-ORD-DUB, DUB-EWR-IAH-DFW-MSY-AUS-AMA-DEN-EWR-DUB

jacobin777

Wed May 09, 2007 5:18 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 19):
and possibly Dallas.

...interesting.. scratchchin ...I'm surprised that AA isn't flying this route then...

That covers North America.

...actually not, USofA is quite large and the various markets are extremely different.....hence why we see EI flying to LAX, ORD, JFK, etc....and wanting to fly to other destinations such as MIA, SFO, even EWR....

Quoting EISHN (Reply 27):
You're flying on a widebody, as opposed to a 757

as long as comfort, service and prices are good, who cares if one is flying on an A380 or a B737?

Quoting Copaair737 (Reply 38):
I can't wait to see their green A330's flying in and out of SFO. That's going to be great.

checkmark ...me neither..I'm very excited to see EI's A330 grace SFO.... biggrin 
"Up the Irons!"

OA260

Wed May 09, 2007 5:35 am

Quoting N272WA (Reply 43):
BKK

Argh the dreaded BKK rumour again LOL... Big grin I wonder if it will start before or after THR and BEY !!!

EISHN

Wed May 09, 2007 5:37 am

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 44):
...actually not, USofA is quite large and the various markets are extremely different.....hence why we see EI flying to LAX, ORD, JFK, etc....and wanting to fly to other destinations such as MIA, SFO, even EWR....

Yes but from what the likely market is. EI don't need to have a connecting service to every little regional airport in the US. They have a lot of connecting possibilities with AA, and possibly American Eagle(?), which really covers everything that they need in the North. They also have to ability to work with many other airlines, like UA, B6, and so forth. So the US is failry well covered, and EI is working on the destinations that want/need a direct service, and hands the very few pax who need to, to connect to somewhere else in the North. MIA then provides EI with many connecting possibilities in the South, and the Carribean. Thus EI will have the Americas sussed out in my mind, perfectly. They don't have a market for direct flights to South America, or the Carribean. They have access directly to the airports that need them, and any possibly ones that may warrent access in the future, like LAS, DEN, or maybe SEA. Things are quite good in my opinion.

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 44):
as long as comfort, service and prices are good, who cares if one is flying on an A380 or a B737?

Well, opinions change from person to person, and I would definetly prefer to fly a wide body on a long flight, and many people will agree. Like nervous flyers, or those with deep vein thrombosis. Not to mention the interiors. All leather seats with not head rests. EI have comfortable enough seats, with flexible headrests, and excellent legroom (I'm 5'11" and was able to fully stretch out, even with the seat in front fully reclined).

COEI2007

Wed May 09, 2007 5:57 am

Quoting N272WA (Reply 43):
mate at EI informed me earlier that YYZ, CPT and BKK are circulating in the rumour mill inhouse at EI at present and there has been no mention of any further additional US routes..

Maybe along with an order for LH a/c, interim a/c and short-haul a/c, we might hear that EI plans on launching YYZ, CPT and BKK???? If BKK might be on the cards, maybe an interim order will include something with the legs to get to BKK????

Please be 777!!!!!!!!!!!!

shamrock350

Wed May 09, 2007 6:02 am

Quoting COEI2007 (Reply 47):
Please be 777!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would love to see 777s but in a fleet of A330s adding a large 777 just to start a new route might be a mistake, it would raise operating costs, complicate training and DUB doesn't see many 777s which could cause problems.
Maybe if EI could do a deal with EK so passengers could book on aerlingus.com to BKK via DXB. After all EI/EK relations must be quite good with DM working at EK for years. It would be a little test to see how much of a demand there really is and it may boost the DXB route.

smokeyrosco

Wed May 09, 2007 6:08 am

They absolutely do advertise in the US, generally in the catchment area's of the airports they fly daily flights (BOS, JFK. ORD)
John Hancock