scbriml

CMF Studies "Open Rotor" Concept

Tue May 08, 2007 9:01 pm

In an article at FlightGlobal, CFM are reported to be studying an open rotor concept for the next generation of airliner engines.

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles...-for-next-generation-airliner.html

Quote:
The open rotor concepts, one of which was revealed recently by CFM partner Snecma, include pusher, counter-rotating designs very similar to the General Electric GE36 unducted fan (UDF) study of the 1980s, as well as puller-type designs.

Of more interest to me personally, are some of the quoted time-frames for the introduction of new-technology engines for A320 and 737 replacements:

Quote:
However the company cautions that the more advanced concepts are still years away from fruition. Any open rotor design would not be ready for service until "very late in the second decade at the earliest," says CFM executive vice president Bill Clapper.

There's also some interesting information about the LEAP56 initiative.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!

SBN580

RE: CMF Studies "Open Rotor" Concept

Tue May 08, 2007 10:31 pm

So there is the possiblity then of reviving the pusher prop-jet concept? I would assume these would have to be rear mounted engines. Wing mounted pusher prop would require quite a bit wing and pylon mount redesign I would think.
North Central: Good People Made Their Airline Great! FLY MD-90 POWER! Keep 'em Flying DELTA Family!

Poitin

Tue May 08, 2007 10:35 pm

I wonder if they have a fix for the noise these types of configurations made in past attempts. Still if they can make it quiet enough the technology makes a lot of sense with oil at $60 USD per barrel.
Now so, have ye time fer a pint?

Devilfish

Wed May 09, 2007 4:14 am

Also posted here.....
Next Gen NB Engines : Contra Rotating Turbofan Fan (by Keesje Apr 27 2007 in Tech Ops)

[Edited 2007-05-08 21:16:36]
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield