rootsair

Better Than A Raclette-Swiss Sky Thread 9!

Wed May 09, 2007 9:45 pm

Last thread was getting a bit long and has been out dated! Thus I wouldl like to restart a new Swiss Aviation thread.

the previous one is here
Swiss Sky Thread 8 (by OceansWorld Apr 1 2007 in Civil Aviation)

to start the thread I would like to say that Fly Baboo has announced that this summer they will be operating flights to
Corsica (Ajaccio, Figari) and Croatia (Dubronvik) with Darwin airline codeshare.
This will mean BBO has now 15 destinations from GVA
Ajaccio, Biarritz, Dubrovnik, Figari, Florence, Ibiza, Lugano, Marseille, Naples, Nice, Olbia, Prague, St Tropez, Venice and Valencia
Good to see them expand and look forward to more expansion with the E190 the have ordered ...

http://www.flybaboo.com/press/press_detail_eid_1684_lid_6.htm

[Edited 2007-05-09 14:49:02]
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

LXA340

RE: Better Than A Raclette-Swiss Sky Thread 9!

Thu May 10, 2007 12:28 am

Does anybody know why LX014 yesterday / LX015 arrival this morning to / from JFK got cancelled, plane scheduled for the flights was HB-IQI?

sandrozrh

Thu May 10, 2007 1:15 am

Quoting LXA340 (Reply 1):
Does anybody know why LX014 yesterday / LX015 arrival this morning to / from JFK got cancelled, plane scheduled for the flights was HB-IQI

The A/C in question was struck by a jetway on the front-left door at JFK a few days ago which only caused minor damage and didnt need to be repaired immediately. After the incident, there was an increasingly beeping sound inflight caused by the "Dichtung" of the door being minorly damaged. Evidently, LX asked SRTechnics to repair the A/C inbetween flights, but due to the replacement parts not being available they had to be ordered from Airbus. The real cause for the cancellations however was problems with customs, as apparently the shipping company didnt have the appropriate documents which delayed the whole process and evidently urged LX to cancel last nights JFK run.

Courtesy of my dad  Wink

ANother

Thu May 10, 2007 1:54 am

Nice map, but aren't you missing (three) something?

helvknight

Thu May 10, 2007 2:31 am

Quoting ANother (Reply 3):

The map's put the 2 Basels and Appenzells together and also Obwalden/ Nidwalden.

I suppose that is legitimate since they are half Kantons (or to use the proper term Kantons with half a vote which is what the scholars prefer)

Back to aviation to stop a certain mod from flushing the post (he's probably a bit irked at me because of my contributions in THAT thread in Non Av Big grin ) :

Does anyone know what BD's plans for the EDI - ZRH flight are? It seems quite a funny set up with one flight a day at times which jump about depending on the day of the week. The BD website doesn't even show ZRH on the destination map.

Is this just a half hearted flight or are they waiting for another E145 so they can run a reasonable service (which I would define as morning and evening with codeshare with LX since both are *A)

Also does anyone have an idea what the loads are like?
I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member - Groucho Marx

HAJFlyer

Thu May 10, 2007 3:01 am

JER-based Blue Islands some time ago annouced plans to start ZRH-JER flights this spring, then GVA-JER, but nothing seems to have materialized so far and their (dreadful) website does not contain any info on the topic either. Does anyone know what is actually going on ?

LXA340

Thu May 10, 2007 3:41 am

Quoting SandroZRH (Reply 2):

Thanks Sandro. LX Airbuses and jetways they don't always seem to get along that well  Wink . A few months ago I think there was an incident with an A340 in ZRH if I remember there the plane was out for a few days though.

HECA

Fri May 11, 2007 5:08 am

On which dates is LX expected to receive the additional A343? I'm flying with LX to CAI in June and I'll be flying back in July. I'm curious if I'll fly one of the latest A343 additions to the LX fleet!

In previous threads the possibilities and time schedules for cabin retrofits of the additional A343 aircraft were discussed. Will the additional A343 aircraft still receive a cabin retrofit in order to have the same cabin interiors as the current A343 fleet? Or will they more or less be put into service immediately and receive retrofits later this year/next year?
KL, LH, LX, BA, AF, TK, UX, TP, AZ, HV, SK, IB, WX, UA, AA, US, DL, AC, LA, KQ, MS, 4D, ZA, RJ, QR, EK, CX, HX, JL, SQ, MH, FY, MU, CA, TG, UL, FD, K6

rootsair

Fri May 11, 2007 5:20 am

Quoting ANother (Reply 3):

oh true. I just took the first map of Switzerland I saw while googling Switzerland maps without seeing this detail. anyways since they are half cantons I guess that for a matter of space the half cantons were put together !

airplane   wave 
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

LXA340

Fri May 11, 2007 8:03 pm

Swiss has now 74 Aircraft in operation the 17th Airbus A320 (HB-IJH) was put into service yesterday. This was the 5th additional Airbus Aircraft from the European fleet that was added since last December; 2 A321's and 3 A320's. Let's hope that in addtion to the extra 3 A340's that will be added over the next 10 months we will see a further expansion soon to come.

sandrozrh

Fri May 11, 2007 11:09 pm

Does anybody have a clue why there is an LX A320 arriving from STN today? The flight in question is LX9825 arriving at 16:40 (but currently marked as delayed). The flight# look slike a ferryflight#. I'm sure that Infodesk can shed some light here  Smile

RJ100

Sat May 12, 2007 1:35 am

April pax numbers continue to soar:

ZRH 1721563 pax +6.8%
transfer +17.2%
local pax +2.6%

BSL 377772 pax +11%
cargo: 3739 tons (?) +19%

Anyone with numbers from GVA, LUG and BRN?
none

infodesk

Sat May 12, 2007 4:28 am

Quoting SandroZRH (Reply 10):
Does anybody have a clue why there is an LX A320 arriving from STN today?

Quoting SandroZRH (Reply 10):
I'm sure that Infodesk can shed some light here

Lucky I'm at work today  

It was in fact a charter which some company hired. Bit of a surprise to see STN on the arrivals board. There was also a random charter with Cirrus from Braunschweig. Now there's an unusual one.

BTW Sandro, how was Finland? I'm still recovering from the temperature drop we experienced!   

[Edited 2007-05-11 21:29:11]
"Do nothing in haste, look well to each step and from the beginning think what may be the end" - Edward Whymper

sandrozrh

Sat May 12, 2007 5:16 am

Quoting Infodesk (Reply 12):
There was also a random charter with Cirrus from Braunschweig. Now there's an unusual one.

Yeh i think i saw that passing over Bassersdorf, was it operated by an OLT Saab2000?

Quoting Infodesk (Reply 12):
BTW Sandro, how was Finland?

It was amazing, thanks. Pretty cold indeed, but the alcohol let me forget it Big grin Vappu was amazing, were you there on the first of may? When everybody gets drunk and wears those funny overalls Big grin And how was Finland for you?

rootsair

Sat May 12, 2007 6:06 pm

Quoting RJ100 (Reply 11):

Anyone with numbers from GVA, LUG and BRN?

http://www.gva.ch/desktopdefault.aspx/tabid-244/

April number of PAX for GVA

910'284 +3.0%

So far this Year

3'898'178 +7.1 %

RJ100

Sat May 12, 2007 7:30 pm

Thanks Braulio, great numbers (as usual)!

Good weekend!  Smile
none

infodesk

Sun May 13, 2007 2:37 pm

Quoting SandroZRH (Reply 13):
was it operated by an OLT Saab2000?

It was indeed a Saab2000, so must have been the one you saw.

We didn't go out to Finland until May 2nd, so missed the celebrations. Was very impressed with Helsinki, despite the cold!
"Do nothing in haste, look well to each step and from the beginning think what may be the end" - Edward Whymper

David_itl

Mon May 14, 2007 2:04 am

As usual, here are the LX results for MAN ops: April saw LX carry 13949 pax to ZRH (up 5.8%) and BSL saw 1668 pax (which equates to 64 per flight).

saab2000

Mon May 14, 2007 2:29 am

I saw one of the two SAAB2000s which are in the US a week or so ago.

Just a curious fact. It never caught on in the US and the two which are registered in the US are privately owned. It was strange to see one here.

What's the news on the Collective Bargaining Agreement between SWISS and SWISS European? (GAV) Any word on that and what the improvements will be?

Will there ever be a merger of Aeropers and SWISS PIlots?

If there were that would probably be enough to get me to come back for good to Switzerland.

Sorry to always ask the same questions!! But I know you guys hear more than I do. Oddly, it is not always front page news in the Wall Street Journal in the US. Big grin

PS - I am at peace with them since the meeting there a month or so ago. Right now my return to SWISS is possible, but on hold.
smrtrthnu

ZRH

Mon May 14, 2007 2:40 am

Quoting Saab2000 (Reply 18):
What's the news on the Collective Bargaining Agreement between SWISS and SWISS European? (GAV) Any word on that and what the improvements will be?

The only thing which is known in the public you can read in the Swiss press release (it seems that a new GAV will enter into effect in July):
http://www.swiss.com/web/MACNS4/abou...ess-releases-07.htm?&newsid=109307

[Edited 2007-05-13 19:43:28]

[Edited 2007-05-13 19:44:05]

[Edited 2007-05-13 19:44:39]

LXA340

Mon May 14, 2007 5:34 am

Quoting Saab2000 (Reply 18):

Will there ever be a merger of Aeropers and SWISS PIlots?

I am very sure that there will never be a merger between those groups and that the regional pilots will always get smaller salaries. I can understand the frustration for the regional pilots but cost wise it is not possible. A pilot operating an LH flight with a CRJ from TXL to ZRH gets less money than a Pilot operating the exact same flight with an A320 eg. Lufthansa also keeps their regional pilots and mainline pilots in two different categories and Swiss can't do differently. As I told you in the past I really understand your and the situation from the pilots currently working for Swiss European it is frustrating but on the other hand the most important thing is that the company suceeds and for this people need to sacrifice as harsh as it may sound for the ones sufferin under it. Did they tell you at Swiss that if you start working for them you would have a chance to upgrade to Swiss International after a couple of years? Again I wish you good luck with your career and hopefully we will see you as a Swiss Itnernational Airlines captain in the future  Wink

[Edited 2007-05-13 22:36:45]

saab2000

Tue May 15, 2007 10:12 am

I understand that equipment size is a part of what determines salary. That is not the problem I have.

BTW, I am not bitter anymore about this. Just having an honest, open discussion.

My problem is the career path. SWISS is hiring, or will hire soon, brand new pilots to fly on the Airbus fleet while pilots from the Avro have not got the same opportunity.

In the US, where I am currently working, things are also not perfect. But there is no such thing or idea here as a 'regional pilot'. The difference is that pilots start their career for a so-called 'regional' airline and after a few years upgrade to captain and then will apply to a bunch of major airlines. My short list in my own career would include United. Anyway, I have my ATPL and over 4000 hours flying airline equipment. Nobody calls me a 'regional pilot' anywhere. I fly to JFK, ATL, ORD, BOS, PHL, PIT, LGA, IAD, and other mega-airports all the time. Nothing 'regional' at all about those places!!  

What I am getting at is that airlines here in the US do not ever hire new pilots without going first to more experienced pilots from the 'regional' airlines. I am just saying it is odd that SWISS would hire those new guys when there are lots of pilots on the Avro with lots of experience who might like the opportunity to join the Airbus fleet.

Also, it is possible for them to be in the same Gewerkschaft/Union. I am an ALPA member. So are the pilots at United Airlines.

I understand that things are going much better now for everyone at SWISS. They will soon have a new GAV for the Avro pilots and this makes me happy. Also, I understand it is a good contract. My main concern is not pay for the Avro pilots. It is the Career Path, or Karriere Laufbahn, of the Avro/regional pilots vis a vis the pilots on the Airbus fleet.

When I talked with them there was no mention of the possibility to switch from one fleet to the other.

Like I said, I am not angry anymore or bitter. For me the war is over. I liked what I saw when I was there a month ago or so. I just hope that all the pilots in Switzerland get to have the same opportunities. After all, SWISS was started from Crossair and it might be fair for them to have similar opportunities. That is why I asked about the GAV. I don't get much info here, even though I am a Passiv Mitglied of the SWISS Pilots. All I get are the negative propaganda e-mails and some occasional infos from some friends I have who still work there.

It is not about money (though the concept of equal pay for equal work should mean something...), rather it is about career chances for all SWISS employees. Not just the ex-Swissair employees.

Thankfully, things are starting to go well for SWISS. That is good news for sure.

And please, don't anyone get upset about my thoughts. I am not bitter or angry. (Not anymore!!!  Big grin )The past is in the past. The future is here and anger will not move anything forward. So let's use common sense and discuss this with a spirit of openness and honesty and with a good beer in hand, like I have right now!!  Big grin

[Edited 2007-05-15 03:15:47]

[Edited 2007-05-15 03:19:55]
smrtrthnu

RJ100

Tue May 15, 2007 5:21 pm

Today, Swiss will receive an additional A-340-300 with the registration HB-JMJ. It is scheduled to arrive Basel at 15:20 from Bristol/Filton where it will be named after the city of Basel, and then departs 15:40 to Zurich.
none

rootsair

Tue May 15, 2007 7:54 pm

The trial against skyguide concerning the Überlingen tragedy has started this morning

French
http://info.rsr.ch/fr/rsr.html?siteS...010&sid=7820936&cKey=1179220692000

German
http://www.nzz.ch/2007/05/15/vm/newzzF1PYTKBQ-12.html

English
http://www.nzz.ch/2007/05/15/eng/article7819313.html

airplane   wave 

LXA340

Tue May 15, 2007 8:14 pm

Quoting Saab2000 (Reply 21):
he future is here and anger will not move anything forward. So let's use common sense and discuss this with a spirit of openness and honesty and with a good beer in hand, like I have right now!! Big grin

Hehe this sounds good. No no this wasn't supposed to be agressive in any way or attack you, what ever you said I respect and can also can understand it. As an outsider and the things I +- know about Swiss is that it will be impossible to have similar payment for both Pilot organisations to run the company cost efficiently in that sector. But yeah this is really frustrating that if you work for Swiss European there is no chance to switch to the Airbus fleet and join Swiss International as you said the career oportunities need to be equal so there is a lot of improvement to do let's see what the new GAV will bring. I could imagine it would be easier to move the experienced pilots to the Airbus fleet and do the recruiting etc and let the young ones begin with the Avro's wouldn't the whole education be a few months shorter due to a smaller aircraft etc, as well, hence cheaper costs for Swiss? So basically at the momment it looks like your chances to develop your career in the US don't sound to bad and u might have chances to move to United and fly the big jets? Again Good luck with everything and Cheers  Wink

Quoting RJ100 (Reply 22):
Today, Swiss will receive an additional A-340-300 with the registration HB-JMJ. It is scheduled to arrive Basel at 15:20 from Bristol/Filton where it will be named after the city of Basel, and then departs 15:40 to Zurich.

The plane will go through heavy Maintanance at SR Technics and Receive a new Interior, the same as currently featured on the rest of the A340 fleet (are there any enhancments that will be put in eg in the Galleys or the Seats compard to the rest of the LXA340s)?) is that correct? I gues Sandro you will have the answers to that  Wink

ZRH

Tue May 15, 2007 8:33 pm

Is this the aircraft which comes from AC or one of OS?

RJ100

Tue May 15, 2007 8:40 pm

According to my info it's ex Air Canada. Should enter scheduled service in July this year.
none

ZRH

Tue May 15, 2007 8:45 pm

Quoting LXA340 (Reply 24):
I guess Sandro you will have the answers to tha

Yes, I think he could have it but only at the weekends because he is in the WK (his first).  
(sorry non Swiss don't understand this, it means the annually military repetition practice of three weeks)

[Edited 2007-05-15 13:46:27]

ka

Wed May 16, 2007 12:59 am

Just watched HB-JMJ landing at ZRH. Standard LX c/s as expected.
Great to see LX expanding!

Greetings,
KA.
Keep smiling - you might be on Radar!

LXA340

Wed May 16, 2007 1:18 am

Quoting ZRH (Reply 27):

Oh I see hehe...ok. Thanks

OceansWorld

Thu May 17, 2007 5:31 pm

First picture of HB-JMJ.

http://www.planepictures.net/netshow.php?id=625225

This is indeed the former Air Canada aircraft.

sr176

Thu May 17, 2007 6:55 pm

Obviously LX does not intend to put the *A colors on one of their big birds

OceansWorld

Thu May 17, 2007 11:48 pm

Today, easyJet carried its 15,000,000th passenger from GVA since it started serving the city December 18th, 1997 with a flight to/from LTN IIRC.

In 2006, U2 carried more than 31% of the airport's 9,96 million passengers, and says that 25% of them are business travellers.

http://www.swissinfo.org/fre/economi...854&cKey=1179406868000&positionT=1

sandrozrh

Sat May 19, 2007 7:18 pm

Quoting LXA340 (Reply 24):
(are there any enhancments that will be put in eg in the Galleys or the Seats compard to the rest of the LXA340s)?) is that correct?

Nope, same cabin as the rest of the A343 fleet, no new enhancements planned.

Quoting ZRH (Reply 27):
Yes, I think he could have it but only at the weekends because he is in the WK (his first).

Yup, surprised that you remember that Big grin I'm still awaiting the Hamburger-Tauffe  crazy   Silly

ZRH

Sat May 19, 2007 8:03 pm

Quoting SandroZRH (Reply 33):
I'm still awaiting the Hamburger-Tauffe

hehehe.....enjoy it! Big grin Big grin yes I remembered that you told me about the WK, when we met at the airport.

HECA

Sat May 19, 2007 11:46 pm

When transfering yesterday through ZRH on my way to AMS I noticed a LX A343 standing remotely parked opposite of the maintenance buildings, with it's engines covered. Is this HB-JMJ? I took pictures of it, but they didnt turn out the way I expected them Sad

Does anybody know what its first revenue flight will be or is this still too early to tell? Thanks!
KL, LH, LX, BA, AF, TK, UX, TP, AZ, HV, SK, IB, WX, UA, AA, US, DL, AC, LA, KQ, MS, 4D, ZA, RJ, QR, EK, CX, HX, JL, SQ, MH, FY, MU, CA, TG, UL, FD, K6

swissgabe

Sun May 20, 2007 1:46 am

I do have a question regarding a Swiss A320. HB-IJB recently came to Swiss as additional aircraft after having been with TK some time. I flew the plane recently and would like to know if (and when) they change to the current interior. The plane still does have the old blue leather seats.

Does the plane already have been named after a Swiss city of doesn't it have a name currently?
Smooth as silk - Royal Orchid Service /// Suid-Afrikaanse Lugdiens - Springbok

LXA340

Sun May 20, 2007 3:35 am

Quoting Swissgabe (Reply 36):

Oh I thought that all the 5 A32S received th new interior before entering service with LX. Are any of the 5 recent additions already flying with the current interior?

swissgabe

Sun May 20, 2007 3:42 am

Quoting LXA340 (Reply 37):
Oh I thought that all the 5 A32S received th new interior before entering service with LX. Are any of the 5 recent additions already flying with the current interior?

I thought to too but that wasn't the case with HB-IJB. I also noticed that the aircraft does have safety cards indicating "HB-IJB only". It this related to the old seating configuration/interior or something else?
Smooth as silk - Royal Orchid Service /// Suid-Afrikaanse Lugdiens - Springbok

LXA340

Sun May 20, 2007 4:13 am

Quoting Swissgabe (Reply 38):
I also noticed that the aircraft does have safety cards indicating "HB-IJB only"

"The new A320, which becomes the 74th aircraft in the SWISS fleet, accommodates 150..." This was an extract of the press release for Swiss Introducing HB-IJH last week to it's fleet. All other A320's have 168 Seats so this would explain this. Hope the planes will be upgraded shortly, on another note I thoguht that before entering serice I hope all the planes that were in service with TK got a proper check with SRTechnics  Wink . I gues this might be again a question that you would know, Sandro. Cheers

Viscount724

Mon May 21, 2007 8:26 am

Quoting Swissgabe (Reply 38):
Quoting LXA340 (Reply 37):

I thought to too but that wasn't the case with HB-IJB. I also noticed that the aircraft does have safety cards indicating "HB-IJB only". It this related to the old seating configuration/interior or something else?

It's also not the case for HB-IJF. I flew on that aircraft on Sunday and was suprised when boarding to see SR's old blue leather seats as I thought all LX A320s now had the new lightweight seats. The carpet was also dark blue that I have not seen on other LX aircraft. Assume it dates from this aircraft's service with TK. The safety cards also said "HB-IJF only".

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Jan Rodewald

LXA340

Mon May 21, 2007 3:59 pm

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 40):

It's also not the case for HB-IJF. I flew on that aircraft on Sunday and was suprised when boarding to see SR's old blue leather seats as I thought all LX A320s now had the new lightweight seats.

Have you noticed though if they occupied the C class in a 2-2 seating or in a 2-3 seating? Norrmally Swiss said that all Airbus flights are now offered with a 2-2 seating they should do it on those planes as well although it has the old config. Otherwise is the pkane in a good condition, lavs etc or does it look a bit worn out?

dj1986

Mon May 21, 2007 6:34 pm

Maybe somebody can help me about the delays concerning LX 750/ LX 758 into LUX. Basically at least one of the flights is delayed for at least 30min daily. Is this due to aircraft shortage or are there more important routes where they want to operate ontime and switch around aircrafts? Just an example from yesterday evening and this morning LX 758 May 20th Sched: 18:10 Estim: 1915 LX 750 May 21th Sched 10:05 Estim: 10:30
US Airways I miss you!

RJ100

Tue May 22, 2007 4:28 pm

And another new Tuifly destination has been announced from BSL today. Funchal/Madeira will be served as per February 2008 with a weekly flight on Thursday.

Flights are already open for bookings, oneway fares are available for 17.75 Euros (49 Euros all inclusive).

X3 2816 06:00 09:10 BSL FNC
X3 2817 09:55 15:00 FNC BSL

Tuifly is really pushing BSL at the moment. At certain peak summer days there will be up to 7 daily flights to/from the airport and above mentioned schedule shows that they will base an aircraft in BSL for the winter season.
none

LXA340

Wed May 23, 2007 12:03 am

Does anybody know why (HB-IQK) A330 that went to ORD today was delayed for almost 4 hours. The plane didn't arrive from anywhere this morning and the flight was already anounced delayed at around 8AM. Was the aircraft involved in any incident yesterday or just maintanance but some mess up in the timming?

YULMRS

Wed May 23, 2007 3:48 am

Hello all, i have 3 little questions.

Quoting RJ100 (Reply 11):
BSL 377772 pax +11%
cargo: 3739 tons (?) +19%

Does these numbers also includes MLH or only the swiss part of the Euroairport (which i suppose represent around 80-85 % of the traffic) ?

Can we expect to see more Easyjet flights in BSL ? New destinations ?
To any North American carrier, send us a regular flight in MRS !!!!!

RJ100

Wed May 23, 2007 3:59 am

Hello

The number is the total number.

I heard many things about easyJet lately but so far only talking (but from reliable sources). Best thing is to wait and see.

I forgot to add that Air Transat will once again launching Basel-Montreal flights next year. The airline dropped this route after 9-11.

I also think that both Swiss and easyJet should launch a few more flights from the airport on time for the Euro 2008 football championship. Basel is the main place of the tournament and it is expected that only in Basel there will be more than a million guests from all over Europe.
none

Oliver

Wed May 23, 2007 4:58 am

Any new rumours regarding new long-haul flights operated by Swiss Int. Airlines?
I've heard that a destination in China is gonna be included in the next expansion. And that it's gonna be somewhere where they haven't flown before. That would mean Shanghai, but Swissair already flew there, right? Can anybody "confirm" this rumour with similar rumour?

LXA340

Wed May 23, 2007 5:13 am

Yeah both Swissair and Swiss flew to Shanghai via Beijing. First LX quit to fly to PVG and in summer 2003 PEK was cancelled as well. The rumours that I also heard from the LX FA's were PVG and PEK, don't know anything about another Chinese city. Also rumoured are DEL and SFO, I gues we will get a decision by September or so. Wouldn't be suprised if the anouncement will come close or together with the Details for the new Swiss Business Class to be introduced on the A330's initially.

OceansWorld

Fri May 25, 2007 5:08 am