willbdsp

Neeleman To Step Down As JetBlue CEO

Thu May 10, 2007 10:12 pm

CNN is reporting that David Neeleman will step down as CEO and President David Barger will become the new CEO, effective immediately.

http://money.cnn.com/2007/05/10/news...t/index.htm?postversion=2007051009

richierich

RE: Neeleman To Step Down As JetBlue CEO

Thu May 10, 2007 10:17 pm

Very interesting.
I wonder how much of this had to do with February? My guess is that it was a factor but probably not the only reason.

Can Dave Barger run JetBlue effectively? He is certainly qualified enough.
None shall pass!!!!

hiflyer

Thu May 10, 2007 10:19 pm

If true this will hammer JetBlue stock to new lows as this carrier was built on his personality and presence. However,not surprising as his history points to about a 5 year in position stint.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Neeleman

roseflyer

Thu May 10, 2007 10:20 pm

Wow that is a surprise. Neeleman did a lot for that company. The board pushed him out according to reuters. Reuters was saying that it was because of the service meltdown in the Valentines Day storm. They are saying that the storm cost the airline 30 million dollars. I'm not sure how much the CEO had control over that, since jetBlue is still a relatively new company that doesn't have the experience of US, CO, UA and AA at dealing with big snow storms. Stakeholders might want him gone as a scapegoat. However I think Neeleman would be a steal for the management of another airline.

I personally wonder if he was pressured to leave because the company has not performed very well in the last year. The stock price is a lot lower than what it once was and the airline got a really bad reputation during this past winter. Those two things together could have been enough for management to push him out, but it is still a shocker. The stock has been on a steady decline since this winter.

[Edited 2007-05-10 15:24:40]
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

quickmover

Thu May 10, 2007 10:23 pm

Just a wild guess here, but could he be on his way to Delta after Grinstein retires?

wjcandee

Thu May 10, 2007 10:26 pm

Quoting Quickmover (Reply 4):
Just a wild guess here, but could he be on his way to Delta after Grinstein retires?

Nope. The article says that the Board initiated the conversation, and that he was "pushed out" as a result of the service meltdown. Crazy. This guy built the airline, and it reflects his personality and the employees love him. I think that this is a crazy, crazy move.

quickmover

Thu May 10, 2007 10:33 pm

Herb Kelleher once said that the airline exec that he feared the most (competition wise) was Neeleman.

Logos

Thu May 10, 2007 10:39 pm

Quoting Wjcandee (Reply 5):
This guy built the airline, and it reflects his personality and the employees love him. I think that this is a crazy, crazy move.

I won't dispute that he has taken the airline to where it is now, but it may not be as crazy as it appears. Neeleman's history and forte is starting carriers up. He has never successfully shepherded a carrier through the period after start up, which is where jetBlue finds itself right now. I suspect that there are more operational issues underneath the surface and that the February meltdown was more of a symptom of a wider problem. The board has had some time to watch him try to clean up the operational mess and maybe they didn't like what they saw.

The stock price probably will take a short term hit, but I can see this as being a logical and necssary move for jetBlue's future.

Cheers,
Dave in Orlando
Too many types flown to list

richierich

Thu May 10, 2007 10:47 pm

Quoting RoseFlyer (Reply 3):
However I think Neeleman would be a steal for the management of another airline.

I highly doubt it, unless he starts a new one!!!

Wow that is a surprise. Neeleman did a lot for that company.

Yeah, he started it and it was his vision. What an unceremonious end!
Personally, I think it is unfair to blame the whole events in February on Neeleman. I am well aware that it happened under his watch and he "took" the blame for it publically. I would argue that Neeleman was the one figure that could have successfully brought JetBlue through that crisis after it happened. I have flown JetBlue once since then, and based on what I know, I'd say they have done a pretty good job of recovering.

I really wonder how the Barger-era will affect B6...?!
None shall pass!!!!

wjcandee

Thu May 10, 2007 10:58 pm

Quoting Logos (Reply 7):
I suspect that there are more operational issues underneath the surface and that the February meltdown was more of a symptom of a wider problem.

Wouldn't these be things that the Chief OPERATIONS Officer (i.e. Barger) would be responsible for?

The whole thing doesn't make sense to me. It's like Michael Dell reliquishing leadership of Dell, or Steve Jobs relinquishing leadership of Apple, when the Board thought that their entrepreneurial talents weren't appropriate to running a "developed" company. That would be nuts! (Oh, wait! That DID happen, and after a couple of years, each of the two was brought back because their successors ran their companies into the ditch. After that, Apple came out with the IPod, and Dell came out with Dell printers, both revolutionary moves for their companies. Maybe the lesson is that entrepreneurial spirit is important, even in an existing company?)

SkyexRamper

Thu May 10, 2007 11:06 pm

Neeleman did a lot for that company. The board pushed him out according to reuters.

That's got to suck, you create the massive airline and get booted out...sad day.
Good Luck to all Skyway Pilots! It's been great working with you!

FA4B6

Thu May 10, 2007 11:07 pm

Quoting Richierich (Reply 1):
Can Dave Barger run JetBlue effectively? He is certainly qualified enough.

Dave Barger is an exceptional man and his strength, passion, and expertise will bring JetBlue successfully through our next steps as a company.
"Leap! And the net will appear."

Logos

Thu May 10, 2007 11:07 pm

Quoting Wjcandee (Reply 9):
Wouldn't these be things that the Chief OPERATIONS Officer (i.e. Barger) would be responsible for?

You just don't know what the dynamic is if you're not there. It could be that Barger pushed for things prior to February that Neeleman squashed. I'm not saying that this is the case, but simply that there may be more than meets the eye here. What we do know is that Neeleman has started other airlines and has never been around past the stage where jetBlue is now, so there is reason to question whether he is the guy to move the airline forward from here.

It's also entirely possible that what you say is true - that jetBlue is ditching the very guy who can guide them toward a better future. Time will tell.

Cheers,
Dave in Orlando

gregarious119

Thu May 10, 2007 11:14 pm

fter that, Apple came out with the IPod, and Dell came out with Dell printers, both revolutionary moves for their companies

With no intent to hijack the thread....Dell Printers? Revolutionary???

I've seen one...ever. iPod, certain revolutionary. I wouldn't exactly classify the printers on the same level as the iPod

Jeff G

Thu May 10, 2007 11:15 pm

Quoting Hiflyer (Reply 2):
If true this will hammer JetBlue stock to new lows as this carrier was built on his personality and presence.

Au contraire. Stock is up strongly this morning.

I'm not sure how much the CEO had control over that

The CEO had more control over that than is generally known. The board certainly knew.

Quoting Wjcandee (Reply 5):
This guy built the airline, and it reflects his personality and the employees love him. I think that this is a crazy, crazy move.

I think you may be overstating the case some. He built the airline but there is not a unanimous consensus even among employees as to how well he has run it. Dave Barger on the other hand has nearly universal support. This move plays to the strengths of both men: Neeleman as strategic visionary and Barger as operational expert.

Overall, a good decision.

richierich

Thu May 10, 2007 11:17 pm

That's kind of what I thought, too. But Barger has experience running an airline, Neeleman is apparently better at starting them and building them. And Neeleman will still have a lot of influence on the future of the airline as he is on the BoD (sort of like Herb's influence at WN).
None shall pass!!!!

Poitin

Thu May 10, 2007 11:17 pm

Quoting Logos (Reply 12):
You just don't know what the dynamic is if you're not there. It could be that Barger pushed for things prior to February that Neeleman squashed. I'm not saying that this is the case, but simply that there may be more than meets the eye here. What we do know is that Neeleman has started other airlines and has never been around past the stage where jetBlue is now, so there is reason to question whether he is the guy to move the airline forward from here.

I suspect that there are already at least three "unauthorized" tell-all books being written on this situation. We should know more in 6 months.

Quoting Logos (Reply 12):
It's also entirely possible that what you say is true - that jetBlue is ditching the very guy who can guide them toward a better future. Time will tell.

While I agree with you both, I suspect that it really was time for Neeleman to move on. I have been in many startups over the years, starting with DEC (Digital Equipment Corp) and have seen just about all of them fail because the guy who started them was not able to deal with a maturing company. DEC lasted the longest, but it too failed. I think JetBlue has a better chance with a new leader.

This is not in take from Neeleman -- he is brilliant, but his talents are in the start up phase. He should go start something else.
Now so, have ye time fer a pint?

RDUDDJI

Thu May 10, 2007 11:18 pm

I am shocked. IMO he is one of the great visionaries of this industry. This news breaks my heart. I am a huge fan of his.

He may very well be the best leader (currently) in the U.S. airline industry I hope this was mutual, because he deserves the best. He built that company. I thought the press release was a joke at first. News like this really makes me think I need an industry change. I don't even know what else to say, I'm sincerely disappointed.

Shocked.
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

alphascan

Thu May 10, 2007 11:37 pm

There is a little start up in SFO that may be looking for a new leader very soon.
"To he who only has a hammer in his toolbelt, every problem looks like a nail."

lincoln

Thu May 10, 2007 11:39 pm

Quoting Gregarious119 (Reply 13):
Dell Printers? Revolutionary?

FWIW, Dell Printers are Dell in name only -- they're Lexmark printers that have been slightly modified to only work with Dell-branded ink/toner cartridges. And the two I've seen are the crappeiest/most annoying printers I've ever encounted (Dell provided them to the university I worked for to try to sway us from HP)

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

aogdesk

Thu May 10, 2007 11:49 pm

Perhaps he'll be headed to Virgin America if Reid is forced out by DOT......

westindian425

Thu May 10, 2007 11:49 pm

Well Neeleman is to remain as Chairman, so it's not like he's totally leaving the company.
God did not create aircraft pilots to be on the ground

Lumberton

Fri May 11, 2007 12:19 am

Quoting WestIndian425 (Reply 21):
Well Neeleman is to remain as Chairman, so it's not like he's totally leaving the company.

There goes the Virgin American gig!  Wink
"When all is said and done, more will be said than done".

style

Fri May 11, 2007 12:19 am

Non-Executive Chairman. They made that clear in the news release. Neeleman will be a figure within the company but Barger will be the only guy running the show.

SLCUT2777

Fri May 11, 2007 12:23 am

Highly doubtful. but he certainly has better odds than Doug Parker. DL will likely stay internal and go with either Ed Bastian or Jim Whitehurst.
Keep in mind Neeleman is in his early-mid sixties and perhaps he will just come back to SLC and spend more time. Despite the problems this year, I still think B6 has been his best creation to date eclipsing Morris Air (bought out by WN in 1994) and WS.
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

RDUDDJI

Fri May 11, 2007 12:26 am

Quoting SLCUT2777 (Reply 24):
Keep in mind Neeleman is in his early-mid sixties and perhaps he will just come back to SLC and spend more time. Despite the problems this year, I still think B6 has been his best creation to date eclipsing Morris Air (bought out by WN in 1994) and WS.

Actually Neeleman is 47 (I was surprised to learn that today also). He's had some impressive accomplishments to only be in his 40's.

Age Source:
http://www.usatoday.com/travel/fligh...7-05-10-jetblue-replaces-ceo_N.htm
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

skyyblue

Fri May 11, 2007 12:27 am

Quoting Style (Reply 23):
Keep in mind Neeleman is in his early-mid sixties

Neeleman is 47.

ltbewr

Fri May 11, 2007 12:32 am

While shocked by Neelman's departure, I am not necessarly surprised due to the winter storm fiascio with it's costs and as noted above, the overall decline in profits at JetBlue. One mistake too many companies make is to keep CEO's and other top executives too long in those positions. They will eventually make mistakes, get too insular as to their company, tend to surround themselves with too many 'yes sir' types and not have enough people who will critize, as well as get too greedy. One has to wonder what will happen to him now, but I would guess he has enough $$$'s saved up to live well for the rest of his life and not have to work.

sllevin

Fri May 11, 2007 12:40 am

Neeleman's departure is not surprising. jetBlue is fundamentally a "boom-founded" airline, formed by investors who looked for and gambled on massive growth -- which they got for quite a while.

Fundamentally, those types of investors aren't interested in running a modestly profitable airline -- they want to see continuing, ongoing growth that not just generates profits, but more importantly increases the value of the company (and their investment). And that's where Neeleman's guidance has not performed particularly well at all -- the value of the company has essentially been stagnant for the past four years.

Steve

n844aa

Fri May 11, 2007 12:43 am

Wow, I'm surprised to see this now, though I think that this is probably a more defensible step than it seems now that B6 is an established airline and beginning to suffer some of the afflictions affecting mature airlines. He's been great for the company through the early years, but it seems like it might benefit from someone a little more focused.

Best of luck to B6 and Neeleman going forward. I wonder what he'll be up to next? Something interesting, no doubt.

[Edited 2007-05-10 17:44:38]
New airplanes, new employees, low fares, all touchy-feely ... all of them are losers. -Gordon Bethune

jfk787nyc

Fri May 11, 2007 12:45 am

I was very shocked when some people on this forum said Neeleman is in his early sixties when I just seem him on Bloomberg Television.

I was very surprised that a person in his position and with the stress he has looks so young. Anyway thank you guys for claryfying his 47 year old age.

Anyway, The new CEO will actually not have such a hard time cleaning up the company. I feel like Neeleman for the past couple of years has been in it already not for the company to make money but for the company to have a larger market cap than any other airline in the United States.

I actually believe they jumped in too soon for a company so young to invest 1.8 billion dollars into real estate at JFK.
They are not that big yet. All he was doing was putting more of a financial burden on the company.

Has anyone count how much this terminal has actually been costing them Quarter to Quarter? They are not actually loosing tremendous amounts of money here with everything that they are doing.

The new CEO just has to go out and calm down all the HOT HEADS sitting on the board of directors of JetBlue.
They need to stop expanding with new routes and wait two years until they stablize there very very large cash flow.

It is actually not that hard to keep the company at profit...Has anyone even seen pricing for flights lately???

119 one way JFK-FLL three week advance

crogalski

Fri May 11, 2007 12:46 am

This is a complete shock, I for one am deeply saddened.
A319 A320 A321 A330 B717 B727 B737 B747 B757 B767 CRJ200 CRJ700 CRJ900 DC9 E145 E190 MD88 Q400 | AA AB B6 CO DL EI FL NK

ChiGB1973

Fri May 11, 2007 12:48 am

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070510/bs_nm/jetblue_ceo_dc

I think it's a good move. I don't think the Valentine's Day massacre really should have been more than a bit of icing on the cake. Things have been rough at B6 for a while, meaning some major changes needed to be made. He did a great job up to about 2 years ago. That is when some fresh blood was needed.

M

AADC10

Fri May 11, 2007 12:50 am

Quoting SLCUT2777 (Reply 24):
Neeleman is in his early-mid sixties

Quoting SKYYBLUE (Reply 26):
Neeleman is 47.

Yep. Because he is relatively young, JetBlue would probably slap some kind of restraint on him to prevent him from working for another airline for several years as was the case when he left Southwest.

Poitin

Fri May 11, 2007 1:07 am

Quoting Sllevin (Reply 28):
Neeleman's departure is not surprising. jetBlue is fundamentally a "boom-founded" airline, formed by investors who looked for and gambled on massive growth -- which they got for quite a while.

Fundamentally, those types of investors aren't interested in running a modestly profitable airline -- they want to see continuing, ongoing growth that not just generates profits, but more importantly increases the value of the company (and their investment). And that's where Neeleman's guidance has not performed particularly well at all -- the value of the company has essentially been stagnant for the past four years.

I think you have the situation nailed. It is time for JetBlue to move on with new leadership into a new direction because the startup is over.
Now so, have ye time fer a pint?

Logos

Fri May 11, 2007 1:13 am

Quoting Poitin (Reply 34):
Quoting Sllevin (Reply 28):

I think you have the situation nailed. It is time for JetBlue to move on with new leadership into a new direction because the startup is over.

Yep, I agree with you both. The phase that jetBlue is entering now can be a lot more tricky. The planes aren't as new, costs will go up without tight management and operational complexity is growing almost exponentially. Beyond that, new opportunities for the kinds of revenue they made initially are few. It takes a different skill set to flourish in this phase than that required to obtain VC, build name recognition and pick the low hanging fruit. Hence, a new man at the helm makes sense.

Cheers,
Dave in Orlando

BigOrange

Fri May 11, 2007 1:23 am

Maybe Virgin America will hire him in place of Fred Reid??

BOS2LAF

Fri May 11, 2007 1:25 am

From http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070510/bs_nm/jetblue_ceo_dc

Quote:
He said the new role will give him more time to focus on issues like developing JetBlue's Live TV unit, alternative sources of jet fuel, new forms of electronic ticketing, and opportunities afforded by the open skies agreement between the U.S. and Europe.

I'm surprised no one has caught the part about open skies yet. This could get interesting.

BWIA 772

Fri May 11, 2007 1:26 am

Quoting Poitin (Reply 34):

Agreed it will be interesting to see how the company performs under the new leadership.
Eagles Soar!

SLCUT2777

Fri May 11, 2007 1:30 am

Quoting RDUDDJI (Reply 25):
Actually Neeleman is 47 (I was surprised to learn that today also). He's had some impressive accomplishments to only be in his 40's.

I was quite surprised to learn he's only my age as well. Neeleman was born October 16, 1959, which makes him only not quite two months older than me (December 11, 1959). Aside from work here in Utah with June Morris, he helped get WS started up in Calgary in the mid 1990s, and ran Open Skies software which was later acquired by Hewlett Packard. Here's my source: http://www.answers.com/topic/david-neeleman
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

etops1

Fri May 11, 2007 1:50 am

i am shocked. i like jetblue airways. i have a lot of friends over there. i think neelman was good for jetblue. i met barger once on the airplane while iwas jumpseating from mco-jfk. he was on the flt. i was helping the crew clean up and so was he. nice man .

GARUDAROD

Fri May 11, 2007 2:11 am

Quoting Alphascan (Reply 18):
There is a little start up in SFO that may be looking for a new leader very soon.

Quoting Aogdesk (Reply 20):
Perhaps he'll be headed to Virgin America if Reid is forced out by DOT......

Quoting BigOrange (Reply 36):
Maybe Virgin America will hire him in place of Fred Reid??

Therein lies your answer. VA is in need of a CEO that will be acceptable to the DOT, Neeleman is
experienced with a startup w/ A320's and a unique customer service model. He would be a perfect
fit for Virgin America.
Cargo doesn't whine, moan, or complain

socaljoeyb

Fri May 11, 2007 2:38 am

Neeleman did a good job in starting up one of my favorite airlines. I hope he stays with B6. If not, I wish the best to Neeleman and B6 both.

flying_727

Fri May 11, 2007 3:06 am

"JetBlue said he would carry on as non-executive chairman playing a more strategic role. "

What kind of strategy are they talking about? Corporate strategy, operating strategy?

I've studied operations for several years, and I'm well aware that airline operations are almost purely strategy. Airlines have similar operations but each has very unique ways of performing those operations. If this change is due in part to the massive disfunctional operations in February, and hes believed to be part of the problem, why put him in a "more strategic role?"

Sounds more like a just sit there and shut up type role.

Any thoughts?

Flying_727
On ATA, You're On Vacation

lowecur

Fri May 11, 2007 3:22 am

This was overdue.

DB is the logical replacement but his tenure is not sealed in cement. It's my feeling he will be given a fair shot to turn the companies fortunes, but I have my doubts any airline is going to do well in the next 24 months. Look for Private Equity to come in and buy B6 when the stock hits 6 or 7. DB will be out and Russell Chew will step in. I think this guy was brought over to be groomed.

http://www.faa.gov/about/key_officials/chew/

ua76heavy

Fri May 11, 2007 3:31 am

Wow that is a surprise. Neeleman did a lot for that company.

Quoting Logos (Reply 7):
I won't dispute that he has taken the airline to where it is now, but it may not be as crazy as it appears. Neeleman's history and forte is starting carriers up. He has never successfully shepherded a carrier through the period after start up, which is where jetBlue finds itself right now. I suspect that there are more operational issues underneath the surface and that the February meltdown was more of a symptom of a wider problem. The board has had some time to watch him try to clean up the operational mess and maybe they didn't like what they saw.

Agreed. Often something like the "meltdown" is used as a convenient excuse for removing someone. There could be deeper problems that concern investors. Also, as a business transitions from one phase to another during its life, leadership becomes an issue. Founders often have difficulties with sustaining a business. Hence, a change in leadership may be in the best interest of the company.

Often, there's a non-competition clause written into exec contracts.

TVNWZ

Fri May 11, 2007 3:50 am

Neeleman admits he is NOT an operational guy...

JetBlue Air Names Barger to Succeed Neeleman as Chief (Update7)

By Mary Schlangenstein and David Mildenberg

May 10 (Bloomberg) -- JetBlue Airways Corp.'s board replaced founder David Neeleman as chief executive officer, three months after the airline canceled almost 1,700 flights and stranded more than 130,000 passengers because of winter storms.

President David Barger, 49, will become CEO, and Neeleman, JetBlue's largest individual investor, will be non-executive chairman. ''I'm not a day-to-day operator,'' Neeleman, 47, said today in an interview. ''It's not something I enjoyed.''

Neeleman's exit extends the management and financial upheaval at New York-based JetBlue, which posted a $22 million first-quarter loss on storm-related flight disruptions and payments to travelers. Shares of the low-cost carrier plunged 20 percent after the Feb. 14 storm before today.

''Barger is a real operations guy,'' said Ray Neidl, a Calyon Securities USA Inc. analyst in New York. ''The airline has reached a certain size where visionaries are being pushed aside and the hard-core operations guys are taking over.''

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...601087&sid=aYWNS9v4tE48&refer=home

flybyguy

Fri May 11, 2007 3:57 am

I feel that without Neeleman at the helm the airline will be run just like any other. Neeleman brought a good sense of "caring" to the airline. The passenger "bill of rights" was probably Neeleman's idea. I feel the board forced Neeleman out because of profitability issues. I think the new leadership will orient the airline towards profits rather than service (the airline's chief point of notoriety in the LCC world).

I will expect jetBlue to be like any other airline now. I feel that quality of service will decline dramatically over the next year or so. Certainly jetBlue has lost its most innovative manager. I feel Neeleman will probably just quit eventually when he feels that his "new" position is just unceremonious brush off with no power or influence over the direction of the company.

Sad day for jetBlue fans everywhere... let's watch the corporate profiteers turn jetBlue into just any other airline at best or drive the airline into the ground at worst.
"Are you a pretender... or a thoroughbred?!" - Professor Matt Miller

F9Animal

Fri May 11, 2007 5:04 am

Quoting RDUDDJI (Reply 17):
I am shocked. IMO he is one of the great visionaries of this industry. This news breaks my heart. I am a huge fan of his.

I too am beyond shocked. This man built B6 from nothing to something. Whatever the case may be, I am certain he will pursue another venture of success. This is a sad day for B6, but in the same regards, hopefully it is a sign of good change to come. I have no doubt that Neeleman will be successful in whatever he does.

The service meltdown was exactly that,,,, a meltdown. Neelman could not control the weather. We also forget that Neeleman was not the sole decider of that mess. It was a team that made the decisions, and I am sure he was not the only one in the deciding factor. The airline learned lessons, and it should not directly be aimed at Neeleman. I am glad that he is going to remain on the BOD.

Speculations are out of a possible takeover. I hope not, as B6 is one of my favorite airlines.
I Am A Different Animal!!

FA4B6

Fri May 11, 2007 5:23 am

Guys, he's not going anywhere. He remains Chairman of the Board. This is a good move for him as this will allow Neeleman to do what he does best - grand ideas, conceptualization, strategizing ... he's very big picture and JetBlue is a big company now. When I worked at Starbucks the same thing happened with Howard Shultz. He stepped down as CEO and is the Chairman and Chief Global Strategist.

I think JetBlue's future is bright.
"Leap! And the net will appear."