PILOTALLEN
Topic Author

Whats Up At Kteb?

Fri May 11, 2007 5:04 am

Anyone have any idea as to why KTEB is closed? We have a lot of bizjets at our FBO chilling out and they don't seem to know whats going on down there, someone said weather but I just checked and its fine....any clues? I also heard a plane calling Meridian FBO down there and they said all FBO's were closed...hmmm
Thats not flying, thats falling with style -Woody

OPNLguy

RE: Whats Up At Kteb?

Fri May 11, 2007 5:09 am

The weather may be OK at TEB (for the moment), but take a look at the WX radar. Thunderstorms have most of western ZNY covered up, and they're moving NE, and are also causing widespread re-routes in/out of the NYC airports as well as those in/out of ZBW airports...
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

Mir

Fri May 11, 2007 5:12 am

Quoting PILOTALLEN (Thread starter):
Anyone have any idea as to why KTEB is closed? We have a lot of bizjets at our FBO chilling out and they don't seem to know whats going on down there, someone said weather but I just checked and its fine....any clues? I also heard a plane calling Meridian FBO down there and they said all FBO's were closed...hmmm

Thunderstorms are enveloping the area from central Pennsylvania up through New Hampshire, which would cut out a lot of routes in and out. All the NYC airports (and PHL) are in ground delay according to the FAA.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

OPNLguy

Fri May 11, 2007 5:18 am

In fact, check out advisory #67 here:

http://www.fly.faa.gov/ois/

If it's no longer there, it's been cancelled...
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

PILOTALLEN
Topic Author

Fri May 11, 2007 5:20 am

Yeah I guess I didn't spend enough time looking at it, thanks guys!

EasternSon

Fri May 11, 2007 5:20 am

Josh, it's because they don't want people like you flying in there.

You're no loner welcome in NJ.
"The only people for me are the mad ones...." Jack Kerouac

Mir

Fri May 11, 2007 5:33 am

Quoting OPNLguy (Reply 3):
In fact, check out advisory #67 here:

Interesting page. So, if I read that right, the ground stop has been lifted, but they are still doing ground delays?

What do AVG, AAR, and PR mean? And under DA, I understand that that determines how long the delays are, but are the times minutes until wheels-up, or the time that the planes will be allowed off?

-Mir

OPNLguy

Fri May 11, 2007 6:01 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 6):
What do AVG, AAR, and PR mean? And under DA, I understand that that determines how long the delays are, but are the times minutes until wheels-up, or the time that the planes will be allowed off?

Click on the little "Help" icon on the right side of the title bar for "National Programs" and all will be explained...  Wink

NBGSkyGod

Fri May 11, 2007 6:07 am

Acording to the Boston Center's TMU display LGA, JFK, EWR, and TEB are all showing EDCTs due to weather. The Colgan flight from LEB-LGA is delayed almost 2 hours as of now and the EDCTs are increasing. Bad day to be flying in the Mid-Atlantic and North East.
Pilots are idots, who at any given moment will attempt to kill themselves or others.

OPNLguy

Fri May 11, 2007 6:37 am

Quoting Nbgskygod (Reply 8):
Bad day to be flying in the Mid-Atlantic and North East.

..and it'll get worse as the weather continues to move east and further reduce the available airspace between the WX and the NYC/TEB/BOS airports...

Mir

Fri May 11, 2007 6:37 am

Quoting OPNLguy (Reply 7):
Click on the little "Help" icon on the right side of the title bar for "National Programs" and all will be explained...

embarrassed 

-Mir

PILOTALLEN
Topic Author

Fri May 11, 2007 6:47 am

Yeah thanks Eastern! I think they are mad because the Devils lost in hockey...oh well....yeah its getting pretty crappy up here right now, some big CB's rising over the airport...summer is finally here!

OPNLguy

Fri May 11, 2007 7:03 am

Quoting OPNLguy (Reply 9):
..and it'll get worse as the weather continues to move east and further reduce the available airspace between the WX and the NYC/TEB/BOS airports...

Speaking of which, there's now a severe thunderstorm watch out for that area...

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/wwamap/wwatx...&wwa=severe%20thunderstorm%20watch

Quoting Mir (Reply 10):
embarrassed

Don't feel bad, the combination of the bar/button color makes it easy to overlook..  Wink

Newark777

Fri May 11, 2007 7:08 am

Quoting OPNLguy (Reply 12):
Speaking of which, there's now a severe thunderstorm watch out for that area...

There was actually a tornado warning in Susquehanna county (NE PA) a few hours ago. The yellow boxes here are the severe thunderstorm watches:

http://www.wunderground.com/severe.a...y=SVRMAP&setprefs.0.val=us#gotoMap

Here's what the storms look like currently:

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

OPNLguy

Fri May 11, 2007 7:17 am

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 13):
Here's what the storms look like currently:

Once the line gets a certain distance away (such that flight ETAs will be very close to the line's ETA at various airports), ATC will understandably have to pull the plug, let the stuff blow through, and then start up again launching to/from on the back side of the line..

Gotta love springtime thunderstorm season...  Wink

Newark777

Fri May 11, 2007 7:20 am

Quoting OPNLguy (Reply 14):
Gotta love springtime thunderstorm season...

Nothing like sitting on the covered back porch as a big thunderstorm rolls through.  cloudnine 

Harry

Mir

Fri May 11, 2007 7:32 am

Quoting OPNLguy (Reply 12):
Don't feel bad, the combination of the bar/button color makes it easy to overlook..

Actually, it was more of a "this is an FAA website, there couldn't possibly be any help button on here" thought.  Wink

-Mir

OPNLguy

Fri May 11, 2007 7:40 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 16):
Actually, it was more of a "this is an FAA website, there couldn't possibly be any help button on here" thought.

Sorta like one being on an IRS site, no?  Wink

Jpax

Fri May 11, 2007 7:53 am

The entire day has been a mess. Most of the day conditions were MVFR. This is at and around BLM, 40 miles south of TEB.

Had a flight booked at 2000UTC to take some friends up but a call to the weather briefers revealed all hell could break loose at any time as expected before I called. Severe storms were to the west about 50 miles and moving in an east-northeast direction. Also there was a severe storm warning at the airport and there was lightning reported in the vicinity.

It may have looked nice out, but the way it was cloudy one minute and sunny the next with those towering cumulus above definitely kept many folks grounded today.

graphic

Fri May 11, 2007 8:10 am

this one could get dangerous:

http://www.airliners.net/uf/536921701/1178838561KHSg9P.jpg
Demand Media fails at life

Mir

Fri May 11, 2007 8:35 am

Quoting OPNLguy (Reply 17):
Sorta like one being on an IRS site, no?

Something like that. Sometimes the FAA surprises me.  Smile

Quoting Graphic (Reply 19):

That TVS is some tornadic action going on, right?

-Mir

corey07850

Fri May 11, 2007 8:54 am

BTW when TEB goes into severe Departure delays like they are now (almost 4 hours) the FBO's generally into gridlock since no one is leaving the ramp. When no one leaves the airport stops accepting arrivals since they have no where to put them (note: airport is not 'closed')... I've seen it so bad that 4 and 5 out of the 5 FBO's are gridlocked, plans completely packing twy G and A, and waiting hours just to get to the ramp.

PILOTALLEN
Topic Author

Fri May 11, 2007 9:31 am

Yeah KTEB is a disaster even on a good day, I've flown in there many times and never had it go smooth....i haven't seen it as bad as some people but we've waited on the ground much longer than the flight took....

ltbewr

Fri May 11, 2007 10:20 am

Thunderstorms, some severe are expected, especially north of NY CIty and of TEB. It may also be to keep open LGA/EWR/JFK traffic as TEB is very close to all of them and with restricted flight paths.

Newark777

Fri May 11, 2007 10:29 am

Looks like the severe watches and warnings have expired for the time being. The storm front seems to be moving pretty slowly towards the NYC metro area.

Harry

graphic

Sat May 12, 2007 8:56 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 20):
That TVS is some tornadic action going on, right?

TVS stands for Tornado Vortex Signature.
Demand Media fails at life