eastern023

Delta To Start JFK-SCL (Rumor)?

Sun May 13, 2007 11:00 pm

I have heard rumors for a while about the plans for this route. The rumors are getting louder and louder and I head there could be new by the end of the year. Does anybody know if this is true?
AA will Rise Again!

BigGSFO

Delta To Start JFK-SCL (Rumor)?

Sun May 13, 2007 11:08 pm

Traffic between the USA Chile is quite thin. If DL does this, would they go daily, which would require 2 widebodies? Do they have 2 widebodies for such a flight?

A curious rumor as I would think there are other markets that DL would be much more successful in than JFK-SCL.

Evan767

RE: Delta To Start JFK-SCL (Rumor)?

Mon May 14, 2007 12:20 am

JFK-EZE maybe. Who are you hearing your rumors from?
The proper term is "on final" not "on finals" bud...

Mir

Mon May 14, 2007 12:27 am

LAN can't even do JFK-SCL without a stop in LIM, so I doubt DL could. They already have their ATL-SCL flight, which provides a lot more connection opportunities than JFK could.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

RJ_Delta

Mon May 14, 2007 12:59 am

Catherine Lira Sales Manager of Delta, here in Chile said a few weeks ago that the company will announce a second non stop flight to SCL from ATL. However flight from JFK to SCL are planned but no date.

The grow of Delta in the Chilean markets grow 25 to 30% during the 2006. In response of that Delta Air Lines switched its B767-300ER to Boeing 767-400ER on the ATL-SCL route. The excellent numbers and the the growth of the traffic gives good perspective to the company to expand its network.

LAXdude1023

Mon May 14, 2007 1:24 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 3):
LAN can't even do JFK-SCL without a stop in LIM, so I doubt DL could. They already have their ATL-SCL flight, which provides a lot more connection opportunities than JFK could.

Thats crazy that they can pull off JFK-SCL. LAN flies LAX-SCL nonstop and DL and AA make ATL/DFW-SCL work. DFW and ATL are tiny markets compared to NYC. It must be the connections offered.
It is what it is...

MAH4546

Mon May 14, 2007 1:35 am

Quoting RJ_Delta (Reply 4):
Catherine Lira Sales Manager of Delta, here in Chile said a few weeks ago that the company will announce a second non stop flight to SCL from ATL. However flight from JFK to SCL are planned but no date.

A second ATL-SCL flight operated two winters ago and performed pretty poorly. I'd be surprised to see DL do JFK-SCL. The market is small, and they bigger fish to fry, like JFK-EZE or JFK-GIG.
a.

RJ_Delta

Mon May 14, 2007 1:47 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 6):
A second ATL-SCL flight operated two winters ago and performed pretty poorly. I'd be surprised to see DL do JFK-SCL. The market is small, and they bigger fish to fry, like JFK-EZE or JFK-GIG

But with the growth of the Chilean market and the good result of the ATL-SCL route with the 764, Delta will try again to offer two frequencies. However at this moment is only announcement of a new flight.

deltasju777

Mon May 14, 2007 3:51 am

I would expect JFK-LIM, or JFK-GIG to work before JFK-SCL.

LipeGIG

Mon May 14, 2007 4:24 am

Quoting Deltasju777 (Reply 8):

I would not include LIM as they have the lower fares on the region (except BOG and CCS that are closer). A MIA-LIM C ticket costs US$ 2,000, a LGA-ATL-LIM ticket costs (C class) US$ 2,700. The same ticket for SCL, GIG, GRU, EZE costs at least US$ 4,000 if you buy in advance, or US$ 7,500 if it's a last minute.

For me the next step for DL would be JFK-EZE flight because of available frequencies. JFK-GIG depends on more frequencies on bilateral, and not to forget about planes !

The grow of Delta in the Chilean markets grow 25 to 30% during the 2006. In response of that Delta Air Lines switched its B767-300ER to Boeing 767-400ER on the ATL-SCL route. The excellent numbers and the the growth of the traffic gives good perspective to the company to expand its network.

RJ_Delta, can you please explain me if the flight perform so well, why DL will downgrade ATL-SCL next week back to 763 ? It's too late to offer a second flight during the IATA summer in my opinion !

Felipe
New York + Rio de Janeiro = One of the best combinations !

RJ_Delta

Mon May 14, 2007 4:58 am

Quoting LipeGIG (Reply 9):
can you please explain me if the flight perform so well, why DL will downgrade ATL-SCL next week back to 763

The downgrade to B763 during the winter season (south hemisphere) are planned since the beginning.

It's too late to offer a second flight during the IATA summer in my opinion !

Of course too late, Delta has only announced a posibility to offer a second flight to SCL.

DAL767400ER

Mon May 14, 2007 5:31 am

For me the next step for DL would be JFK-EZE flight because of available frequencies. JFK-GIG depends on more frequencies on bilateral, and not to forget about planes !

Lack of planes is not necessarily that much of a factor. E.g. DL could start both JFK-EZE and JFK-GIG during the winter season when they reduce their flight to Europe massively (IIRC, they require 8 767s less for their winter transatlantic schedule compared to summer) and thus have the planes, and by the time the next summer season comes, they'll have plenty ex-TWA 757s and some more 764s available. So essentially, it is all about getting the traffic rights to GIG and EZE to operate the flights.

Alitalia744

Mon May 14, 2007 5:44 am

Look for JFK-EZE before JFK-GIG and JFK-SCL.
Some see lines, others see between the lines.

LipeGIG

Mon May 14, 2007 6:11 am

Quoting Alitalia744 (Reply 12):
Look for JFK-EZE before JFK-GIG and JFK-SCL.

Agree 100%, JFK-EZE in my opinion is the next DL destination to South America.

Quoting RJ_Delta (Reply 10):
The downgrade to B763 during the winter season (south hemisphere) are planned since the beginning.

Thanks, but even for IATA winter, it's not confirmed a 764 yet.

Quoting DAL767400ER (Reply 11):
Lack of planes is not necessarily that much of a factor. E.g. DL could start both JFK-EZE and JFK-GIG during the winter season when they reduce their flight to Europe massively (IIRC, they require 8 767s less for their winter transatlantic schedule compared to summer) and thus have the planes, and by the time the next summer season comes, they'll have plenty ex-TWA 757s and some more 764s available. So essentially, it is all about getting the traffic rights to GIG and EZE to operate the flights.

DL could try to request to ANAC the rights for a seasonal GIG-JFK service, if they want. ANAC use to be interested in any alternatives out of the over crowded São Paulo. JFK-EZE in my opinion can be year round as they can obtain the required frequencies.

Felipe

klwright69

Mon May 14, 2007 7:04 am

Remember when CO operated a DC10-30 from EWR to SCL. That was way too much airplane for that route. If NYC to SCL is all that viable, CO would have probably would have kept it. They also tried EWR-GIG. Didn't AA also do JFK-GIG?

LAXdude1023

Mon May 14, 2007 7:09 am

Quoting Klwright69 (Reply 14):
Remember when CO operated a DC10-30 from EWR to SCL. That was way too much airplane for that route. If NYC to SCL is all that viable, CO would have probably would have kept it. They also tried EWR-GIG. Didn't AA also do JFK-GIG?

I keep waiting for CO to do IAH-SCL. Eventually maybe.  optimist 
It is what it is...

SLCUT2777

Mon May 14, 2007 8:10 am

Quoting Deltasju777 (Reply 8):

I think you'll see them do LAX-LIM before you would see them try this one out of JFK. I think ATL-LIM has DL's eastern market well covered. Just a hunch, but even LAX-SCL might be more viable.  twocents 
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

RJ_Delta

Mon May 14, 2007 8:45 am

Remember when CO operated a DC10-30 from EWR to SCL. That was way too much airplane for that route. If NYC to SCL is all that viable, CO would have probably would have kept it.

The Continental flight to SCL was in a DC10 an older and expensive aircraft. Also they don't have good profits on the route so they switch to a B757-200 with a one stop in Lima. However the Goverment of the US limited to Continental can you the five freedom between LIM and SCL as a protest agains the political situaion in this time in Peru (when the reelection and the "dictatorial" regime of Fujimori). So after the few weeks, Continental decide to drop the SCL route. Also remember that Continental didn't have a long range airfract with medium capacity as today, fo example the B762.

Cubsrule

Mon May 14, 2007 8:56 am

Catherine Lira Sales Manager of Delta, here in Chile said a few weeks ago that the company will announce a second non stop flight to SCL from ATL.

Sales managers can say all they want, but I would say that the performance of the second daily when it ran speaks for itself. The only way a second flight could make money is on cargo, but if cargo alone were enough, they'd have kept the 10 weekly flights from the northern hemisphere winter (05-06).
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

eastern023

Mon May 14, 2007 9:33 am

The flight could operate few days out f the week.
AA will Rise Again!

Evan767

Mon May 14, 2007 9:35 am

Quoting Eastern023 (Reply 19):
The flight could operate few days out f the week.

What is the source of your rumors.
The proper term is "on final" not "on finals" bud...

worldtraveler

Mon May 14, 2007 9:52 am

If NYC to SCL is all that viable, CO would have probably would have kept it.

Latn America is a much larger travel market than it was 10 or more years ago and the market is growing very strongly.

What worked for CO years ago w/ a DC10 is no prediction of what can or will happen with DL today w/ 767s.

I agree w/ Alitalia744 that we are more likely to see JFK-EZE but it is also possible that DL could do some day of week flying to other cities in S. America.

Remember also that DL has now said that LAX, not JFK will be its 2nd Latin American gateway.

jetdeltamsy

Mon May 14, 2007 11:09 am

Quoting BigGSFO (Reply 1):
which would require 2 widebodies?

Why would it require 2 aircraft? At 10.5 hours each direction, it is conceiveable that the route could be offered with one aircraft.
Tired of airline bankruptcies....EA/PA/TW and finally DL.

Cubsrule

Mon May 14, 2007 11:14 am

Quoting Jetdeltamsy (Reply 22):
Why would it require 2 aircraft? At 10.5 hours each direction, it is conceiveable that the route could be offered with one aircraft.

Flying a daylight schedule would take the route from marginal to untenable. There's a reason DL doesn't fly any daylight flights to or from deep South America.

LipeGIG

Mon May 14, 2007 12:01 pm

Both EWR-GIG and JFK-GIG has been dropped just after 9/11 and also due to the devaluation of Brazilian Real against the US$.

Felipe

Cubsrule

Mon May 14, 2007 12:15 pm

Quoting LipeGIG (Reply 24):
Both EWR-GIG and JFK-GIG has been dropped just after 9/11 and also due to the devaluation of Brazilian Real against the US$.

Are those routes close enough to being viable that they would work if Brazil dropped the visa requirement for U.S. citizens?

LipeGIG

Tue May 15, 2007 12:59 am

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 25):
Are those routes close enough to being viable that they would work if Brazil dropped the visa requirement for U.S. citizens?

I would say that even without easy visa requirements for Americans a GIG-JFK is viable nowadays. With almost 6 daily flights NYC-Brazil (all of them going to São Paulo), it's easy to imagine that there is demand for a flight to Rio from New York and as per DOT reports, only AA takes about 2,000 to 2,500 pax every month to/from Rio (each leg).

If Brazil drops Visa requirements, i can say that the demand can grow 15% to 40% easily, and we will need at least more 5 to 10 daily flights to take care of this. Mostly of them to the Northeast, but also to Rio and Manaus.

Felipe

stirling

Tue May 15, 2007 12:49 pm

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 18):
The only way a second flight could make money is on cargo

The hold would need to be filled with grapes, tomatoes, and other fruits: to capacity, and even then, the dedicated cargo market already has this segment taken care of the present.

The problem with Chile, is that it is an end-of-the-line market....Connections? Not much demand for Punta Arenas, Puerto Mount and Easter Island from North America. Exception being Buenos Aires.

It is also an issue of Population.
While true, Chile has a good and dynamic economy....People are People (Thank you Depeche Mode) and the more you have, the bigger the market, simple as that.

Chile compared to Argentina (EZE) and Peru (LIM); 16 million versus 39 million (ARG) and 28 million (PER).
The comment made above as to why LAN routes such and such flights through LIM is obvious, big local O/D market, central-location makes feed to both Americas possible and profitable....no knock on Santiago, but it just to far south, and not as densely populated at this point I feel to sustain anymore nonstops to the U.S. over what is currently on offer.

Well enough of that.

OK you Chilean Aviation experts!
I have wanted to ask this question for a long time!

The longest airport runway in Chile is where?

IQQ! Iquique! It is way up north in the coastal desert region, just south of the Peru border.

So, Why does IQQ have such a long runway?
Is it one of those Space-Shuttle emergency landing sites scattered around the world?
I cannot think of any other reason for it's 10,900 foot runway....when Santiago has only 10,400 feet. There isn't much activity up there, it is right on the shore, so it is not an elevation issue, anyone? Answers?
Delete this User

Cubsrule

Tue May 15, 2007 12:54 pm

Quoting Stirling (Reply 27):

IQQ! Iquique! It is way up north in the coastal desert region, just south of the Peru border.

Isn't the new runway at SCL north of 12,000 feet? And, for that matter, IPC is right around the same length as IQQ (just over 3300 meters) because it is a space shuttle alternate.

RJ_Delta

Tue May 15, 2007 1:49 pm

The hold would need to be filled with grapes, tomatoes, and other fruits: to capacity, and even then, the dedicated cargo market already has this segment taken care of the present.

Tthe cargo is necesary to hold the commercial flights. Chile has a large cargo movements howevewr all dominated by LAN Cargo, Polar Air Cargo, Cielos Airlines and American Airlines.

The problem with Chile, is that it is an end-of-the-line market....Connections? Not much demand for Punta Arenas, Puerto Mount and Easter Island from North America. Exception being Buenos Aires.

However Chile is in the end of the line, Delta has good results on the route, specially because business travelers. For domestic connections Delta has an agreement with Sky Airline to offer flights to domestic destination in Chile. The demand has growth during the last year and Delta has growth 25 -30% into the Chilean market.

Wrong the longest runway its in Santiago (SCL). RWY17L/35R has 3.750 mts x 60 and RWY 17R/35L has 3800 x 45 mts. IQQ RWY18/36 has 3.350mts.

So, Why does IQQ have such a long runway?
Is it one of those Space-Shuttle emergency landing sites scattered around the world?
I cannot think of any other reason for it's 10,900 foot runway....when Santiago has only 10,400 feet. There isn't much activity up there, it is right on the shore, so it is not an elevation issue, anyone? Answers?

You are wrong again. The Space Shuttle emergency runway is Easter Island (IPC). IQQ has a long runway because they are in the middle of the desert (= high temperatures) and was designed to operate big aircraft there. Activity? well IQQ is a regional airport today is the second airport in terms of operations in Chile, pax and cargo. Today in Iquique operates LAN Cargo (including LAN Cargo, Absa Cargo, Florida West), Polar Air Cargo, Atlas Air, Gemini Air Cargo and Cielos Airlines, all with 763F, B747Fs and DC10F. IQQ actually moves cargo from the north of Chile, northwest of Argentina and Bolivia.

PanAm747LHR

Tue May 15, 2007 2:01 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 3):
LAN can't even do JFK-SCL without a stop in LIM, so I doubt DL could.

Actually, it has nothing to do with can or cannot - LAN has benefitted greatly from the 5th freedom rights they have between JFK and LIM/GYE and SCL. Historically, this has been the reason for the stop-over. However, Mir, if you do a search within this forum, you will find that just last week LAN announced that they will be starting non-stop service to JFK. So it would appear that the demand is indeed there...
Nick

RJ_Delta

Tue May 15, 2007 2:09 pm

Quoting PanAm747LHR (Reply 30):
Actually, it has nothing to do with can or cannot - LAN has benefitted greatly from the 5th freedom rights they have between JFK and LIM/GYE and SCL. Historically, this has been the reason for the stop-over. However, Mir, if you do a search within this forum, you will find that just last week LAN announced that they will be starting non-stop service to JFK. So it would appear that the demand is indeed there...

From June 2, LAN will offer 4 non stop flight to LAX and 2 nonstop flight to JFK both from SCL because the Peruvian Goverment in a political resolution cut the 5th freedom fin LIM or LAN in favor to the peruvian airlines (which? because non one has the capacity to start flight to JFK and LAX) until the 2009 when the Peruvian Goverment will return the weekly 5th freedom on SCL-LIM-LAX and SCL-LIM-JFK routes.

stirling

Tue May 15, 2007 5:40 pm

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 28):
Isn't the new runway at SCL north of 12,000 feet?

The website I use for such info must be out of date then......

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 28):
IPC is right around the same length as IQQ

Last I heard, it was at 10,885ft, or 6 feet shorter than IQQ. (Which is technically 10,991ft) Still the case?

Quoting RJ_Delta (Reply 29):
You are wrong again.

How can I be wrong for asking a question?

IQQ actually moves cargo from the north of Chile, northwest of Argentina and Bolivia.

OK. What are they hauling? And where does it go?
They cannot be shipping out of there the typical produce Chile is world-famous for, since the area is surrounded by desert....the only thing I can find growing within 500nm of IQQ are rocks. Plus, if you look at the airport grounds, where are all the cold-storage facilities found at other cargo dominated airports?

IQQ has a long runway because they are in the middle of the desert (= high temperatures)

I don't know what your definition of "High Temperatures" is, but from the weather data I have collected, the average daily high temperature in December is 72F/22C, in Janurary 77F/25C and February 76F/24C.
IQQ might be in the desert, but it is neither hot, nor high, the airfield being just 155ft/47m above sea level.

I could see IQQ being a good place place to be used to refuel....
Stopping at IQQ cuts 770nm off the distance to Miami from Santiago. A lot of these freighters that are going through most likely don't have the legs to complete the 3600nm run at MTOW.
Arica ARI, the last Chilean city of any size, has a runway of only 7110 feet...So. At IQQ the freighters can leave at gross weight, with a full tank of gas, and without worry.

Final question, why is so far from the city proper?
It must be 35miles/55km from the main city center of Iquique.
Very odd if you ask me. For those of you shaking your head, wanting me to shut-up already  Smile take a look for yourself on GoogleMaps.....at that monster of an airport in the middle of nowhere, for a small coastal resort of a little over 200,000 persons, over 30 miles away.
Just wondering why?, the place has piqued my curiosity!

UPON FURTHER INVESTIGATION.
Taking my own advice, I just pulled up the satellite image again....and found my answer, it is also a base for the Fuerza Aérea de Chile (Chilean Air Force Installation). Their facilities are in plain site on the west and north sides of the field. It explains the long runways, and the distance from the population center! The C-130 taxying is also a good clue, as are what appear to be hardened bunkers for fighter aircraft aligned along highspeed taxi-ways, to the northwest of the main runway.

Thanks for indulging me! I knew there had to be another answer than the ones given.
Delete this User

RJ_Delta

Wed May 16, 2007 4:45 am

Quoting Stirling (Reply 32):
OK. What are they hauling? And where does it go?
They cannot be shipping out of there the typical produce Chile is world-famous for, since the area is surrounded by desert....the only thing I can find growing within 500nm of IQQ are rocks. Plus, if you look at the airport grounds, where are all the cold-storage facilities found at other cargo dominated airports?

They carrier textil products from Chile, Bolivia and Argentina plus agricultural products. What means that the area is sorrounded by desert?

I could see IQQ being a good place place to be used to refuel....
Stopping at IQQ cuts 770nm off the distance to Miami from Santiago. A lot of these freighters that are going through most likely don't have the legs to complete the 3600nm run at MTOW.
Arica ARI, the last Chilean city of any size, has a runway of only 7110 feet...So. At IQQ the freighters can leave at gross weight, with a full tank of gas, and without worry.

Of course that the airplanes use IQQ to carrier more payload and refueling, however most cargo aircraft who operates in Santiago can flly non stop to Miami so refueling is not necesary. Plus IQQ is the capital of the region and always this city has a more dynamic economy.

Very odd if you ask me. For those of you shaking your head, wanting me to shut-up already take a look for yourself on GoogleMaps.....at that monster of an airport in the middle of nowhere, for a small coastal resort of a little over 200,000 persons, over 30 miles away.
Just wondering why?, the place has piqued my curiosity

IQQ was designed to be a airport able to receive big aircrafts. Monster of airport?, IQQ is a normal airport is not a monster.
200.000 people? IQQ is a larger city has plus 200.000 people. And not is a vacation destination.

UPON FURTHER INVESTIGATION.
Taking my own advice, I just pulled up the satellite image again....and found my answer, it is also a base for the Fuerza Aérea de Chile (Chilean Air Force Installation). Their facilities are in plain site on the west and north sides of the field. It explains the long runways, and the distance from the population center! The C-130 taxying is also a good clue, as are what appear to be hardened bunkers for fighter aircraft aligned along highspeed taxi-ways, to the northwest of the main runway.

IQQ always has been an Air Force Base, even where Diego Aracena not exist yet.

Cubsrule

Wed May 16, 2007 5:50 am

Last I heard, it was at 10,885ft, or 6 feet shorter than IQQ. (Which is technically 10,991ft) Still the case?

As far as I know. Runways don't generally shrink overnight.

I wouldn't be shocked if that was the closest sport to Iquique that is large and flat enough to host an airport of that footprint. The dunes just east of the city (and the airport) really limit where an airport could go.

Arcano

Wed May 16, 2007 11:35 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 3):

LA is starting SCL/LAX and SCL/JFK nonstop

IQQ is a regional airport today is the second airport in terms of operations in Chile

Really? I thought ANF was the second

the only thing I can find growing within 500nm of IQQ are rocks. Plus, if you look at the airport grounds, where are all the cold-storage facilities found at other cargo dominated airports?

IQQ might be in the desert, but it is neither hot, nor high, the airfield being just 155ft/47m above sea level.

It must be 35miles/55km from the main city center of Iquique

Iquique is located in a very thin coastal platform, where there's no much room between a pretty tall and steep mountain chain ("Cordillera de la Costa") full of cliffs, and the Pacific Ocean. So the airpot was located in the first portion of land wide enough to hold an airport.

Besides, Iquique is a tax free airport, and although I disagree, they claim to have the best beaches in Chile and it's a huge all year vacation destination

Regards )( Arcano
in order: 721,146,732,763,722,343,733,320,772,319,752,321,88,83,744,332,100,738, 333, 318, 77W, 78, 773, 380, 73G, 788, 789, 346

stirling

Thu May 17, 2007 8:36 am

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 34):
As far as I know. Runways don't generally shrink overnight.

I was thinking the other way, if IPC had got an extention

Quoting RJ_Delta (Reply 33):
Monster of airport?, IQQ is a normal airport is not a monster.

Figure of speech. IQQ has a lot more runway than most Chilean airports. (SCL excepted) It was not a derogatory comment....

What means that the area is sorrounded by desert?

It means that on one side of Iquique is the Pacific Ocean, and on the other 3 sides, north, south and east, it is the Atacama desert, shifting sands, bare rock, low grasses......one of the driest regions on earth...

source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4437153.stm

Or better explained....I could find no evidence of any agricultural activity within hundreds of miles...the big Agricultaral concerns of Chile, are to found more to south nearer the cities of Santiago, Concepcion, Talca, Temuco, and Puerto Montt.

source: http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/americas/chile_veg_1972.jpg

And not is a vacation destination.

Quoting Arcano (Reply 35):
they claim to have the best beaches in Chile and it's a huge all year vacation destination

Hmmmmmm. which one of you is pulling my leg?

I would think that by virture of it being so far north, at least it would be warmer? No?
As the same latittude of Honolulu, the "un"-educated guess would be that the climate is pleasant....

IQQ is a larger city has plus 200.000 people.

OK, so I under-rounded the numbers.
Fact remains.
Argentine Census 2002:
Population of the city: 164,000
Population of the metro: 214,000

Source: http://www.citypopulation.de/Chile.html

IQQ always has been an Air Force Base

AHA! Now it is all beginning to make sense now!

Besides, Iquique is a tax free airport

And that Sir, is the best and most logical answer I have yet to hear as to why there is such a "Big" Airport in the middle of nowhere
So I think I am done beating this dead-horse.
Thanks for everyone's input.
Delete this User

collin260

Thu May 17, 2007 9:00 am

Quoting Evan767 (Reply 2):

AA already has that route covered!
The approximate flight time today will be 6 hours in First Class and 12 hours in Economy.

RJ_Delta

Thu May 17, 2007 9:31 am

Quoting Stirling (Reply 36):
could find no evidence of any agricultural activity within hundreds of miles...the big Agricultaral concerns of Chile, are to found more to south nearer the cities of Santiago, Concepcion, Talca, Temuco, and Puerto Montt.

Ok maybe you can't see or can't foudn logical .. but the fact is the cargo activity exist with textil and agricultural products from North of Chile, Bolivia and Argentina. If there not cargo there is not reason that cargo airlines make an stop there.

Source: LAN Cargo and Polar Air Cargo Operations.

AHA! Now it is all beginning to make sense now!

Now, when I said that IQQ always has been an Air Force base before that Diego Aracena was built.

Arcano

Thu May 17, 2007 1:56 pm

Besides, Iquique is a tax free airport

And that Sir, is the best and most logical answer I have yet to hear as to why there is such a "Big" Airport in the middle of nowhere
So I think I am done beating this dead-horse.
Thanks for everyone's input.

Sorry, I wanted to stand that Iquique is tax free CITY
in order: 721,146,732,763,722,343,733,320,772,319,752,321,88,83,744,332,100,738, 333, 318, 77W, 78, 773, 380, 73G, 788, 789, 346

DAL767400ER

Fri May 18, 2007 3:03 am

Quoting Collin260 (Reply 37):
Quoting Evan767 (Reply 2):

AA already has that route covered!

And that would keep Delta from opening that market because?